Start by marking “The Hidden Will of the Dragon (Countess Elizabeth Bathory #2)” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Will of the Dragon (Countess Elizabeth Bathory #2)
Read eBook

The Hidden Will of the Dragon (Countess Elizabeth Bathory #2)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  22 reviews
It is 1628, Vienna, and the aging Lady Amara Borbala has collapsed before fulfilling her promise to complete the historical truth about her life long companion, the infamous Countess Elizabeth Bathory. In her last entry before her illness Amara writes, "It'd been nearly 130 years since Vlad Tepes arranged the secret agreement. Was it truly possible that the kin of an ancie ...more
Paperback, First, 494 pages
Published September 13th 2010 (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Will of the Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Will of the Dragon

This was an adventure that will not soon be forgotten. It will linger in your memory, drawing you back to the moments captured within the story. What an amazing cast of characters. Each one unique, yet attached in some way or another to each other. As a reader, I was taken on an adventure filled with edge of your seat, nail biting tension and romantic and/or lustful romantic trysts. As the story carries you through the lives of two women who could never be more different yet so faithful to each ...more
L.A.
Article first published as Book Review: Hidden Will of the Dragon by Charlie Courtland on Blogcritics.

As Lady Amara's illness continues to worsen, the shortness of time drives her to finish the ledger she has promised Count Drugeth. He has only recently sought her out in in effort to know more about his family and the history that plagues them. Only now as she looks back, writing and reflecting on her life as the ladies maid and confident of Countess Bathory, does the time seem right to set to p
Doris Devarowing
once you start, can not put this book down, each chapter lures you into the next one. author knows how to spin a tale and keep you guessing. and yet I am drawn into the characters, they all seem so real but clearly from a past century. vividly written so easy for my imagination to become immersed into the lives of these strong willed women. a must read. not for the faint of heart, mature readers only please.
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Amara Borbala was the lady-in-waiting companion to Countess Elizabeth Bathory, the Blood Countess. They were together from the time they were young girls until after Elizabeth's trial. This is her account of what really transpired, as dictated in a manuscript intended for Elizabeth's grandson.

Reading these books, I realized neither is a stand alone story, or even books in a series. They are two halves of the same story: a single story split into two volumes. I can see why, the first is over 400
Alex
I received a copy of this from the author! Thank you so much, Charlie! I can't wait to start reading this.

UPDATE:

First of all, thank you again to Charlie! I was so lucky to get both this and the first book from the author.

I LOVED this book. I read it while on my vacation in Disney World, and had such a hard time putting it down at night. I don't want to write too much because it would be a lot of spoilers, but I absolutely loved the ending and the twist that this book took. I am just so fascinat
Polly Watson
So while I can't get enough of The Countess, I have to say that Charlie Courtland's THE HIDDEN WILL OF THE DRAGON, 2nd in her series about The Countess (see my previous post on DANDELIONS IN THE GARDEN) is not one that I enjoyed reading. Yes, I'm still fascinated by the story of the Countess, her legend, and the speculations about her legends about what is real and what isn't. From that perspective, I wanted to read every word of THE HIDDEN WILL.

But the story here just is not well written. I'm
Chrissie
Not my kind of book. Neither the writing nor the plot appeals to me.

Should I try The Countess instead? Maybe, but I am not so sure that will appeal either.
Allison  Macias
The story of Amara and the Countess Elizabeth Bathory' continues. This sequel picks up where the first one left off, with Elizabeth and Amara racing to Venice seeking the estate of Vlad Tepes, Elizabeth's ancestor. While in Venice, love comes calling. Elizabeth falls for an impoverished painter, and Amara reconnects with her former flame, Count George Drugeth. After returning to Catchice, Elizabeth starts experimenting with beauty elixers, as well as poisons. Accused of illness by the court, Eli ...more
Cristyn
I won this book on Goodreads First Reads Giveaway. I was really excited as I love historical fictions. Because this is a sequel, I purchased the first book, Dandelions in the Garden, for my Kindle.

This book finishes the story of the Blood Countess, Elizabeth Bathory. It chronicles the actions which lead to her downfall, her imprisonment and what became of her, her family, her loyal subjects, and her best friend Amara.

I liked this book, maybe not as much as the first one, but still really liked i
A.G. Dow
I recently read Dandelions in the Garden by Charlie Courtland, and became an instant fan of her storytelling. So, naturally I was very much looking forward to reading the book's sequel, The Hidden Will of the Dragon. Unfortunately, I was barely two chapters in when I realized this novel would be nothing like the first and was greatly disappointed as I continued to read.

The main characters from Dandelions in the Garden, had stopped evolving with the ending of that book and instead digressed into
Elena
"The Hidden Will of the Dragon" is just as enjoyable as "Dandelions in the Garden" was. I am not sure which one I liked more: maybe this one, because it was darker and had more shocking moments; but there were also some things I really liked in the first part, which unfortunately disappointed me in the second.

Amara and Elizabeth are as convincing and fascinating as they were in the previous book, and it is great to follow their story. Their adventures in Venice are gripping, and so is the last
Terri Webb
Love the genre. I couldn't put it down. A really plausible alternative to the traditional version. I was buying the second half, book two, before I had finished the first one.

very interesting. I was impressed with the quality and plausibility of events. I bought the second book before I finished the first
Steph
could have been a great story. I love historical fiction and this fit the bill for it, but some parts of the story dont add up between this book and the first. Its complicated but some family lines dont make since, for example the character John is suppose to be the grandchild of one of the main players in the story, infact he is said to look like him and also share his gestures, yet in the story his father is the product of an affair with King Rudolph,therefore he is not the grandson of the man ...more
Nakota
great story loved the first book dandelions in the garden and this great also a must read
Randall
nice story for the mature reader great new author
Lisa
I was really engrossed in this book, just like the first. It is a great imagining of what *might* have happened in Elizabeth's life. There were a couple of Amara's actions in this book that just really bothered me, and the end was pretty far-fetched (although, I would like to think it could have happened that way). Also, there were a lot of spelling and grammar errors, as in the first book. But honestly, these issues did not detract too much for me b/c the story was very, very good.
Jeny Robertson
Amazing is the first word that comes to mind. I was completely drawn in and loved so many characters in this book and the first one. I loved Amara and Nicholas but Draco was also a favorite. Elizabeth was crazy but she was interesting to read about and I loved her willful and stubborn spirit. The book was very dark at times but I found it very interesting.
iola
was so looking forward to reading this book after i read the Dandelions in the Garden. and i was not disappointed. great read. loved the characters. could not put the book down. very exciting. can not wait to read more of Charlie Courtlands books.
Amanda
Loved this series. Great love story and also true tale of the blood countess.
Franci
Oct 13, 2012 Franci marked it as to-read
I liked the first one so much, I had to get the second one...
Succubi
Succubi marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Salla Leppänen
Salla Leppänen marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Christina Epperson
Christina Epperson marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Michelle Christine
Michelle Christine marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Lorrie Figueroa
Lorrie Figueroa marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
  • Haunting Miss Trentwood
  • No Cure for the Broken Hearted
  • No Greater Sacrifice
  • Captive Spirit
  • The Taming of Mei Lin (Tang Dynasty, #.5)
  • The Eighth Scroll
  • A Child's Wound
  • Tuesday Tells it Slant
  • The Usurper
  • Knight of Glory (Kingdom of Arnhem, #2)
  • The Wedding Gift
  • Cursed
  • Freya 800 AD
  • Dreoteth
  • Once Upon a Christmas (Nobody, #2)
  • Eclipsed By Shadow (The Legend of the Great Horse, #1)
  • Love Endures All Things: A Journey with Alzheimer´s
  • Trevor's Song
I graduated with honors from the University of Washington with a B.A. in English Literature with an emphasis on Creative Writing and a minor in Criminology, but apparently I can't spell or edit. I know, it's a mystery! However, I'm terribly gifted when it comes to critiquing works of fiction, writing reviews, promoting and making other writers famous. It's a gift really...just don't ask me to proo ...more
More about Charlie Courtland...

Countess Elizabeth Bathory (2 books)
  • Dandelions in the Garden (Countess Elizabeth Bathory, #1)
Dandelions in the Garden (Countess Elizabeth Bathory, #1) The Secret of A Spicy Jalapeno Dandelions In The Garden

“How could I insist on equality when I was unwilling to do what life demanded to be equal?” 4 likes