Start by marking “Elizabeth” as Want to Read:

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  14 reviews

The reign of Queen Elizabeth I was a time of war, passion, and spectacular achievement. Elizabeth: The Golden Age finds Elizabeth facing bloodlust for her throne and familial betrayal. Growing keenly aware of the changing religious and political tides of late sixteenth-century Europe, Elizabeth faces an open challenge from the Spanish King Philip II, who is determined to

Published September 25th 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Elizabeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elizabeth

There's nothing too special about this book. I thought it was the novel that the movie was based on. however, it is the novel based on the movie. It reads like a script and moves like a movie. Most of the scenes fall flat without Cate Blanchett performing them. Also, it's almost entirely the author herself states. There's just so many better books about Queen Elizabeth.
Brit McCarthy
A word of warning: you need to be careful when representing historic figures – and also when you’re reading them. It is easy to mistake a fictional account of real events for what really happened. But this is only how the author wanted Elizabeth and other figures to appear. While I’m sure she has done her research (I assume so anyway), there is no one alive today who really knows what Elizabeth was thinking or feeling. Just something to keep in the back of your mind when you’re reading this.

Although I enjoy reading stories about queen Elizabeth, it seems that I'm not a fan of books based on a film, because they are more like following a script than an original story. Nevertheless, the main character is created in an interesting and... accurate way.
Tasha Alexander is the ONLY reason I read this "novelization" based on the film of the same name. Well, that and I had just finished watching The Tudors on Netflix. So my background in fictionalized Henry VIII and his virgin queen daughter is now complete! This reads like a romance novel rather than anything resembling historical fiction--Alexander even states in her note to readers at the end that Sir Walter Raleigh, who saves the day in the British naval battle against the Spanish Armada, didn ...more
Diane Smith
Didn't love this book. While moments in it were really good, it was too much like the screenplay in that it jumped from scene to scene quite frequently.
I had the privilege of meeting Tasha Alexander at a writer's conference in July. She is an incredible writer! She is known for her ability to write dialogue(sp and she incorporates the British dialect so well, which is not easy to do. I enjoyed Tasha's novelization of the movie!
Wonderful story that make ERI a real person! Loved reading about the people she interacted with - her ministers, her courtiers, her ladies-in-waiting. She is a sad figure in history, something I never thought of before.
This was the novel screenplay of the film and it was ok to read but not exactly a great work of literature. It is pretty much the same as most of these novels are but not one of the best I've read.
This was fabulous. Loved how the character were real people and not just people in history. You were absorbed in the story from the first page.
Seems like this was written really quickly...and not with too great attention to detail/accuracy.
I enjoyed the book but wished it would have continued until the end of her life.
One book that I thought the movie came close to doing justice to.....
I am fond of Queen Elizabeth.
Entertaining, but not historically accurate.
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Janet is currently reading it
Nov 20, 2015
Vely Lucero
Vely Lucero marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Ms. Hinshaw
Ms. Hinshaw marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Cristela De Sousa
Cristela De Sousa marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Kristina Flores
Kristina Flores marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Janet marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Rachel Johnson
Rachel Johnson marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Diane is currently reading it
Oct 10, 2015
  • Coronation of Glory: The Story of Lady Jane Grey
  • The Nine Day's Queen: A Portrait of Lady Jane Grey
  • Elizabeth, Captive Princess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #2)
  • The Poyson Garden (Elizabeth I, #1)
  • King James, VI of Scotland, I of England
  • Great Harry
  • أم العروسة
  • Courtesan
  • First Knight
  • The Life and Times of Richard III (Kings and Queens of England)
  • Black Swan
  • William's Wife (Queens of England, #10)
  • King Takes Queen (The Tudors, #2)
Tasha Alexander is the New York Times bestselling author of the Lady Emily series and the novel ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE. She attended the University of Notre Dame, where she studied English and Medieval History. Her work has been nominated for numerous awards and has been translated into more than a dozen languages. She and her husband, novelist Andrew Grant, divide their time between Chicago an ...more
More about Tasha Alexander...