Start by marking “Elizabeth” as Want to Read:

The reign of Queen Elizabeth I was a time of war, passion, and spectacular achievement. Elizabeth: The Golden Age finds Elizabeth facing bloodlust for her throne and familial betrayal. Growing keenly aware of the changing religious and political tides of late sixteenth-century Europe, Elizabeth faces an open challenge from the Spanish King Philip II, who is determined to

Published September 25th 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Elizabeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elizabeth

May 14, 2014 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tudor-england, royals
There's nothing too special about this book. I thought it was the novel that the movie was based on. however, it is the novel based on the movie. It reads like a script and moves like a movie. Most of the scenes fall flat without Cate Blanchett performing them. Also, it's almost entirely the author herself states. There's just so many better books about Queen Elizabeth.
Although I enjoy reading stories about queen Elizabeth, it seems that I'm not a fan of books based on a film, because they are more like following a script than an original story. Nevertheless, the main character is created in an interesting and... accurate way.
Brit McCarthy
A word of warning: you need to be careful when representing historic figures – and also when you’re reading them. It is easy to mistake a fictional account of real events for what really happened. But this is only how the author wanted Elizabeth and other figures to appear. While I’m sure she has done her research (I assume so anyway), there is no one alive today who really knows what Elizabeth was thinking or feeling. Just something to keep in the back of your mind when you’re reading this.

Mar 28, 2015 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Tasha Alexander is the ONLY reason I read this "novelization" based on the film of the same name. Well, that and I had just finished watching The Tudors on Netflix. So my background in fictionalized Henry VIII and his virgin queen daughter is now complete! This reads like a romance novel rather than anything resembling historical fiction--Alexander even states in her note to readers at the end that Sir Walter Raleigh, who saves the day in the British naval battle against the Spanish Armada, didn ...more
Jul 15, 2016 Tocci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Live History

While fictional, the characters and time period are real, as are some events. What puts this novel a notch above others is the emotions imbued into the historical figures. This lends a very believable cause to the events of the Times. Excellently edited, this was an interesting enjoyable book of a subject covered by many others.
Dec 10, 2013 Anam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story that make ERI a real person! Loved reading about the people she interacted with - her ministers, her courtiers, her ladies-in-waiting. She is a sad figure in history, something I never thought of before.
Aug 16, 2008 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had the privilege of meeting Tasha Alexander at a writer's conference in July. She is an incredible writer! She is known for her ability to write dialogue(sp and she incorporates the British dialect so well, which is not easy to do. I enjoyed Tasha's novelization of the movie!
Mar 24, 2016 Manuel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow that was a fast one
Actual reading time 3-4 days

It was nice and not very deep. Some interesting plots and niceley between fiction and fact.
Aug 09, 2012 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fabulous. Loved how the character were real people and not just people in history. You were absorbed in the story from the first page.
Diane Smith
Didn't love this book. While moments in it were really good, it was too much like the screenplay in that it jumped from scene to scene quite frequently.
This was the novel screenplay of the film and it was ok to read but not exactly a great work of literature. It is pretty much the same as most of these novels are but not one of the best I've read.
Cheri rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2014
Khaled Mohamed
Khaled Mohamed rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2013
Joyce rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Cheree Martin
Cheree Martin rated it did not like it
Jun 06, 2016
Cara rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2015
Jessica Curtis
Jessica Curtis rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2016
Eman Awny
Eman Awny rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2013
Jane Gardner
Jane Gardner rated it did not like it
Oct 28, 2016
Sandra rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2012
Carolinia DeLacey
Carolinia DeLacey rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2015
Pollylbeck rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2009
Tina Notas
Tina Notas rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2015
Gabriel Mero
Gabriel Mero rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2011
Renee rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2011
Barbara Seibel
Barbara Seibel rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Rosemary Simpson
Rosemary Simpson rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2015
KuroiNamida rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2012
Julie rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2012
Gina Marie
Gina Marie rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Coronation of Glory: The Story of Lady Jane Grey
  • The Nine Days Queen: A Portrait of Lady Jane Grey
  • Behind the Mask: The Life of Queen Elizabeth I
  • King James, VI of Scotland, I of England
  • The Poyson Garden (Elizabeth I, #1)
  • Elizabeth, Captive Princess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #2)
  • The King's Mother: Lady Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond and Derby
  • Mary Tudor: A Life
  • Home Alone
  • Virgin: Prelude to the Throne
  • Great Harry
  • Amélie: Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain
  • The House of Tudor
  • William's Wife (Queens of England, #10)
  • أم العروسة
  • Elizabeth and Essex
  • First Knight
  • Courtesan
Tasha Alexander is the New York Times bestselling author of the Lady Emily series and the novel ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE. She attended the University of Notre Dame, where she studied English and Medieval History. Her work has been nominated for numerous awards and has been translated into more than a dozen languages. She and her husband, novelist Andrew Grant, divide their time between Chicago an ...more
More about Tasha Alexander...