Start by marking “The Sopranos Family Cookbook: As Compiled by Artie Bucco” as Want to Read:
The Sopranos Family Cookbook: As Compiled by Artie Bucco

The Sopranos Family Cookbook: As Compiled by Artie Bucco

Nuovo Vesuvio. The "family" restaurant, redefined. Home to the finest in Napolitan' cuisine and Essex County's best kept secret. Now Artie Bucco, la cucina's master chef and your personal host, invites you to a special feast...with a little help from his friends. From arancini to zabaglione, from baccala to Quail Sinatra-style, Artie Bucco and his guests, the Sopranos and ...more
Published August 1st 2008 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Sopranos Family Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sopranos Family Cookbook

Liza
May 16, 2008 Liza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book for Chris back when we were still long distance dating and it immediately became a very useful tool for us. When we would spend weekends together we would cook something out of this book. The recipes are awesome and come out really well! great authentic Italian-American cooking. Seems cheesy at first with the Sopranos stories, but if you can just get past that the actual recipes are fantastic!
Kurt
Feb 23, 2013 Kurt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kurt by: Seth
This is a funny book with a mix of Neapolitan recipes and Sopranos fan moments. The recipes seem great, with a focus on simple ingredients and traditional techniques, and I love that so many of them are illustrated with beautiful photography. The bigger draw of this book, though, is likely the aspects that tie into the HBO show, which come through here in the form of in-character narrations (Artie Bucco gives the history of Vesuvio's and shares a chapter of more upscale restaurant-style recipes, ...more
Lucianna
Sep 02, 2008 Lucianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whether you are a Soprano fan or not, these recipes please stomachs of all kinds! I am a Italian and love these recipes. I grew up with watchin my mom, aunt, and grandma cooking many of these dishes. a Wave of nastoglia will come over you awakening your senses and memory.
Denise
Recipes that are simple and good for every day. Family favourites are the minestra-escarole and little meatballs soup,'Shcarole and Beans soup,and what have become staple dishes for our company on New Years' Day - Quail Sinatra style and Tiramisu.
Maria
Feb 02, 2012 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly Authentic Recipes- Love this cookbook! I was raised in an Italian family and I love trying to reproduce my Grandmother's sunday gravy (sauce) and the meatballs and everything else- AWESOME book
Chris
Jul 16, 2012 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked this cookbook, but there were only a few recipes that I can use. As a vegetarian many of the recipes are not easily made veggie friendly.
Daniel
Aug 16, 2013 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I friggin love this book. It was life changing. Really! Before this book, I cooked at home a lot but only had a few basic recipes and methods of preparing food that I stuck to, and supplemented with frozen dinners when I got bored of it all. Most of the cookbooks I'd encountered were like textbooks... pretty dry, small print, small illustrations (half a page sometimes, if you were lucky) everything kinda tightly crammed together in a thick tome. But The Sopranos Family Cookbook is a *novelty* co ...more
Mark Rob
When Sopranos was on HBO, I was forbidden to watch it because my mother said I was too young.... However, I use to try to catch the reruns when she was not home. The cookbook have given me interest in watching the entire show.... Honestly, I do not think I am going to make any of the food items, I just wanted to see did the characters had a role in shaping thin cookbook... and yes they were a major help... If you are fans of The Sopranos, check out this book.... If you are a cook, check out this ...more
S Vanorse
Jul 19, 2014 S Vanorse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can not wait to get cooking, being from a large Italian family some of these recipes are a lot like the ones I use now. Many that I remember from childhood family dinners, that I had forgotten about eating at my grandmothers house. Meals took hours to prepare and were eaten over a period of time, not fast like families do today. Found this copy at our library book fair, couple people laughed because I said I buying it, I just spent an hour going over the recipes, the ingredients are simple, not ...more
False Millennium
Oct 31, 2015 False Millennium rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-drink
A joke of a book. Written with humor, but with serious recipes. Supposed interviews with the tv characters about Italian food (minus Tony Soprano--I am guessing the actor refused to play along.) Legitimate recipes supplied by cookbook writer Michele Scicolone. I had this book on my "to read" list since it came out in 2002. You can see how long it took me to get around to it. Not worth the bother.
Kimberly Ann
I didn't care about the "Sopranos", but as I was glancing through this book 2 recipes caught my eye; Ricotta Pineapple Pie, Stuffed Quail... and as I perused the pages there were a few more to my liking; Risotto w/ Truffles & Champagne, most All of the desserts, & Minestra (Escarole w/ Mini Meatballs).

Many of the dishes presented are easy to make......

I wish I had someone to cook for...I miss that!
Katie
Dec 17, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like how it was written by the characters from the show. Makes it even more fun when you've watched The Sopranos. The cookbook is full of great recipes that i actually make for my own family on a weekly basis. i enjoyed the Q&A with Furio .... pigs in their bed LOL when he meant pigs in a blanket ... stuff like that made me laugh while the actually has some great recipes like the ricotta pineapple pie, delish!
Elyse Reardon
Sep 21, 2014 Elyse Reardon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book and Henry Hill's cookbook for Christmas from my uncle. This cookbook is amazing. It's great for a Sopranos fan, because not only does it include family recipes, it also contains little snip-its from the characters. For a cookbook, the recipes are delicious. As something to just read, it's hilarious. Even if you're not a hardcore Sopranos fan, it's a great book. :)
Mari
Feb 16, 2008 Mari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like to cook and/or watch the Sopranos
Recommended to Mari by: Found it all on my own...
You knew it was bound to happen - being the Sopranos fan that I am - I want to recommend this cookbook. Intermingled with yummy Italian recipes are snippets of advice from the main mobsters of the show - talking smack, talking etiquette, and just talking about food. Yum-O!

=^..^=
mb
Foxthyme
Oct 11, 2007 Foxthyme rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
You don't have to be a fan to enjoy this book, but it helps! Different characters, from Carmela to Artie Bucco to Paulie's Nucci, get their chapters of food specialities. Food topics range from Sunday dinner to grilling on the bbq to Italian pastries. And the show's famous Baked Ziti is here, too.
Cario Lam
Nov 28, 2010 Cario Lam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What's not to like about this cookbook. It's based on an award winning cable television series and features comfort food recipes.
Carolyn
Jan 06, 2008 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My friend Steph gave this to me one Christmas. I've never actually made a recipe, quite rich and very Italian American, but what a hilarious book. Writing is great - absolutely dead on.
Laura Doyle
Dec 01, 2009 Laura Doyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
We use this book often...packed with tasty recipes of all sorts. Some are incredibly easy...others more difficult but all in all a very well rounded Italian cookbook classic.
Sherrie
Jul 28, 2009 Sherrie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Kinda cheesy. Not all of Italian culture is some kind of amusement park of bad accents and red sauce. I still read every page of it though! I miss these venal characters.
Arjun
Jun 24, 2013 Arjun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book that came out back in the day. Highly recommended to make some of these recipes while doing a Sopranos marathon with a friend.
Jovy
Jul 02, 2013 Jovy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't remember why I bough this book, I'm not a Soprano fan but the recipes are good even though I don't follow recipes when I cook.
Emily
Oct 12, 2007 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Cute for people who follow The Soranos, but many of the recipes involve more effort than I'm willing to put into making pasta.
Angie
Dec 26, 2014 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got this narrative/cookbook for Christmas and enjoyed reading the essays introducing each chapter of recipes. Can't wait to make some spaghetti puttanesca and tiramisu!
Heather Lambirth
Great Italian recipes presented in a somewhat cheesy fashion. One of the best penne vodka recipes I've ever had.
Amanda Grossman
Mar 10, 2008 Amanda Grossman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!!!! Very cool for Sopranos fans (which my boyfriend and I happen to be), and some of the food sounds fantastic! He and I will be cooking it together for Dinner and a Sopranos Date....:):).
laura clayton
laura clayton rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2016
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2013
Miss Deed
Miss Deed rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2012
Andrej Divkovic
Andrej Divkovic rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2017
Nicholas Hunter
Nicholas Hunter rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2012
  • Twinkle's Big City Knits: 31 Chunky-Chic Designs
  • Mr. Boston Official Bartender's & Party Guide
  • Knitted Toys
  • The Food You Want to Eat: 100 Smart, Simple Recipes
  • Emeril's TV Dinners: Kickin' It Up A Notch With Recipes From Emeril Live And Essence Of Emeril
  • A Fourth Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Nigellissima: Instant Italian Inspiration
  • Real Simple 869 New Uses for Old Things: An Encyclopedia of Innovative Ideas for Everyday Items
  • Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen
  • Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen: Recipes from My Family to Yours
  • Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast: 250 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Any Time of Day

“Marinara Sauce Tomato Sauce Makes about 3 cups 2 large garlic cloves, lightly smashed 1/4 cup olive oil 2 pounds very ripe plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped, or one 28-ounce can Italian peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped Salt 8 to 10 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces In a large skillet, cook the garlic in the olive oil over medium heat, pressing it occasionally with the back of a spoon, until golden, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and salt to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the sauce is thick, 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the tomatoes. Stir in the basil leaves. Serve over hot cooked spaghetti or other pasta.” 0 likes