Start by marking “Sex: Avoided Subjects Discussed In Plain English” as Want to Read:
Sex: Avoided Subjects Discussed In Plain English

Sex: Avoided Subjects Discussed In Plain English

2.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  49 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Should anyone doubt that previous generations entertained odd, unusual, misinformed, even outright bizarre notions about what constituted a healthy mind, a healthy body and a healthy, rational attitude about matters sexual, look no farther than Henry Stanton's treatise Sex#58; Avoided Subjects Discussed in Plain English. brbrOften hilarious with it's excessive Victorian pr ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about Sex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sex

Thom Swennes
Mar 11, 2012 Thom Swennes rated it really liked it
I gave Sex by Henry Stanton four stars. One might think that the title would deserve nothing less but the title has very little to do with the work itself. Published in 1922, the book is based on facts and or suppositions that are either bogus or incomplete. It was, in my opinion, very humorous and I laughed out loud more than once. It does give a good insight into how the social views of such a delicate subject as sexuality for both sexes has changed in the last century. The work must have caus ...more
Jen
Apr 18, 2013 Jen rated it it was ok
Fascinating... except that at times upsetting... It's a book written in 1922 about sex. I imagine it was revolutionary in its time. Much of it is so false, it would make me laugh if it wasn't for the fact that I know people who still think and believe some of the horrible falsehoods.

I used to believe much of the what he says is the "proper role of the wife".

Some of my favorite things to hate about this book:

Sex's only purpose is for procreation. The only purpose of marriage is to have sex and
Jenna
Jan 06, 2009 Jenna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book made me laugh. When I began to read it I did not know when it was written and half way through I finally figured out that it was written during the "flapper" times. There is good advice in the beginning about being open with your children about sex and giving them simple truths. Later on though, when he points out the reasons for more "loseness" in girls he blames it on more freedom and the invention of the automobile. I almost started crying with laughter when I saw that he blamed car ...more
Avis Black
Nov 11, 2008 Avis Black rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the sort of book that justly gave the Victorians a bad name.
Cherise
Feb 23, 2015 Cherise rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Things I've learned :

1. Masturbation in young boys leads to epilepsy .
2. Masturbation in young girls leads to warts on the hands and fingers .
3. If young girls are not kept clean around their genital organs to the point where it becomes itchy
and they thus begin to relive the sensation by masturbating the Mother is to be at fault .
4. Foods such as vinegar , mustard , spices , tea and coffee hasten puberty .
5. Brunette females will hit puberty before blondes .
6. Those living in the country matu
Talia
Mar 13, 2012 Talia rated it liked it
I found this book at Project Gutenberg and thought it would be interesting to read a book regarding sex education from a 1920s viewpoint AND one written by a man.With a few exceptions, the book was thoughtful, well balanced and did not cater to the views that women were inferior to men or that their desires or disreputable tendencies occurred less frequently than that of their male counterparts.

There were a few moments where I had to laugh at the outdated and puritanical ideas that were professe
Omar
FALSE
Evan
Mar 23, 2009 Evan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sexuality
Enlightened only insofar as it pleads for more open discussion about the reality and necessity of sex/sexuality, but the messages this 1922 tome advocates were already out of date in 1922 and are rigid and downright wrong --- of the masturbation will make you go blind school of thought. Interesting as an historical curio now. It's a short read and you can find it on Project Gutenburg.
Scott Harris
This book gets points for the comic value of its outdated views on sexuality, to the point of misinformation about healthy sexuality. It was much more a Victorian social more protector that an education tool. The book offers some stunningly inaccurate facts about the human body and the nature of human attraction.
Cecy
Jul 27, 2016 Cecy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Well it was interesting to read you sort of get an idea how people viewed sex back then. It's kind of funny some the things the author writes about but that's because of different times. This is like hearing my grandparents thoughts and views lol.
Skoora
Jun 16, 2011 Skoora rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Humorous due to it's dated material, but an interesting look into the mentality concerning sex in the early 20th century. A rather nice reference for anyone interested in the study of the ever changing views on human sexuality.
Sarah Hogman
Jan 06, 2016 Sarah Hogman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, shit
An entertaining if completely obsolete book based on the evils of masturbation and sex. If anything, good for a laugh. A sad laugh.
Sylvia
Feb 20, 2012 Sylvia rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Curiously old-fashioned but straight-forward book on sex ed. Did you know female masturbation causes small breasts? Now you do!
Amanda
Jan 03, 2009 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was nice to get some insight on how people thought back then but it is definitely dated...
Aura
Mar 08, 2012 Aura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Though I know it's dated and I tried to read it in context, I expected A LOT more from the ending.
Andrew
Aug 14, 2013 Andrew rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Like listening to your grandparents give you the talk.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jan 27, 2011 Marts (Thinker) marked it as to-read-sometime-in-the-future  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: etcetera
...thought I'd listen to some 1800s views on the topic...
Richard Standridge
Richard Standridge rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Shelby
Shelby rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Dani
Dani rated it it was ok
May 16, 2016
Jessie Parker
Jessie Parker marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
d.
d. rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
John Trapani
John Trapani rated it did not like it
Apr 21, 2016
Jamie
Jamie added it
Feb 16, 2016
Hoss
Hoss marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Liliyana Shadowlyn
Liliyana Shadowlyn marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Reader
Reader added it
Jan 17, 2016
Jinay Shah
Jinay Shah rated it did not like it
Jan 13, 2016
Sifei Jiang
Sifei Jiang rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2015