Start by marking “Wars of the Irish Kings: A Thousand Years of Struggle, from the Age of Myth through the Reign of Queen Elizabeth I” as Want to Read:

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  11 reviews
For the first thousand years of its history, Ireland was shaped by its monasteries and its wars. The artistic flourishing of the monasteries has received a good deal of attention, but the violent and varied wars have in recent years gone unremembered. In Wars of the Irish Kings, David Willis McCullough has turned back to the earliest accounts of these struggles to present...more
Published May 12th 2010 by Broadway Books (first published October 3rd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Wars of the Irish Kings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wars of the Irish Kings

Mary
I had a professor in college that told me that life is too short to read bad books. I wish I had listened to her.
T.J.
I was hoping for a popular history of ancient and medieval Ireland, but this is really a compendium of primary source documents.

Rather than tell the story of Ireland's High Kings and legendary heroes in a compelling narrative, this book more or less anthologizes older works like The Book of Howth, the Annals of the Four Masters, and other medieval manuscripts. It's worthy material, but not engrossing.

Paula
I can't say that it is a boring book, but I can't seem to stay interested. The translations maintain an archaic style without being unclear, and the explanations are interesting, but the subject is exactly what the title says, and I'm just not feeling it.
Richard
This book is a collection of first hand accounts and other writings, the quality of the writing varied greatly. The account of the siege and battle of Kinsale that closed the book was great and really brought that event to life. Also superior were some of the mythological accounts early in the book. The middle portion of the book dragged as participants seem to have only so many ways to describe large sword battles that they were a part of.
Mari
This collection of original stories regarding the battle for power in Ireland, recorded by monks, is hit-or-miss. Some of the original texts provide fascinating insight or a great flair for storytelling while others are dull – or extremely dull. The introductions and explanations are concise, well-written, and spark interest but the book is uneven overall.
Scott Smith
Are you interested in reading a book of manuscripts and historical accounts of wars fought in Ireland from pre-medieval days to the Renaissance? Do you like lots of cool sounding names, like Hasculf MacTorkel, the Viking king of Dublin? Well have I got a book for you!
If you aren't into that sort of thing, you might not like it all that much.
Ayne Ray
A fascinating look at Ireland's long and storied struggle against conquerors during its first thousand years, evoking myths, stories, legends, and recorded history to create a vivid portrait of a land steeped in a rich oral and written tradition.

Carrie
I love history books, but this one was really slow for me. If you love readying actual historical manuscripts, you will love this.
Penny
Good historical documentation--enjoyed the historical documents from both sides of the wars. Propaganda, myth and poetry. Interesting.
Jeremy
Only made it a little past half-way before returning it to the library, but the collection of stories was very interesting.
Megs
Really informative.
Cody Watson
Cody Watson marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Donald Egan
Donald Egan marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Elizabeth Turner
Elizabeth Turner marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Marissa
Marissa is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2014
Irene
Irene marked it as to-read
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Chandlerchristine
Chandlerchristine is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2014
First marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Ian Lee
Ian Lee marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Eric Farkas
Eric Farkas marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Ted Parkhurst
Ted Parkhurst marked it as to-read
Maral
Maral marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
  • In Search of Ancient Ireland: The Origins of the Irish from Neolithic Times to the Coming of the English
  • The Story of the Irish Race: A Popular History of Ireland
  • The Celts: A History
  • The Course of Irish History
  • Malachy McCourt's History of Ireland
  • Paddy's Lament, Ireland 1846-1847: Prelude to Hatred
  • The Great Hunger: Ireland: 1845-1849
  • Ireland's Pirate Queen: The True Story of Grace O'Malley, 1530-1603
  • The Celts (Penguin History)
  • Michael Collins: The Man Who Made Ireland
  • Pagan Celtic Britain
  • Dictionary of Celtic Mythology
  • The Green Flag, Vols 1-3
  • A History of Wales
Great Detectives: A Century of the Best Mysteries from England and America The Unending Mystery: A Journey Through Labyrinths and Mazes Chronicles of the Barbarians: Firsthand Accounts of Pillage & Conquest from the Ancient World to the Fall of Constantinople Think on Death (Ziza Todd, #1) City Sleuths and Tough Guys

“...early medieval Ireland sounds like a somewhat crazed Wisconsin, in which every dairy farm is an armed camp at perpetual war with its neighbors, and every farmer claims he is a king.” 4 likes