Start by marking “Wars of the Irish Kings: A Thousand Years of Struggle, from the Age of Myth through the Reign of Queen Elizabeth I” as Want to Read:

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  12 reviews
For the first thousand years of its history, Ireland was shaped by its monasteries and its wars. The artistic flourishing of the monasteries has received a good deal of attention, but the violent and varied wars have in recent years gone unremembered. In Wars of the Irish Kings, David Willis McCullough has turned back to the earliest accounts of these struggles to present ...more
Published May 12th 2010 by Broadway Books (first published October 3rd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Wars of the Irish Kings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wars of the Irish Kings

T.J.
I was hoping for a popular history of ancient and medieval Ireland, but this is really a compendium of primary source documents.

Rather than tell the story of Ireland's High Kings and legendary heroes in a compelling narrative, this book more or less anthologizes older works like The Book of Howth, the Annals of the Four Masters, and other medieval manuscripts. It's worthy material, but not engrossing.

Mary
I had a professor in college that told me that life is too short to read bad books. I wish I had listened to her.
Georgene
This is one of those books that parts of it go very fast and other parts have to be plodded through.

The names of the Irish kings were difficult for me to pronounce and keep track of because I'm not the familiar with the history of Ireland. The last section of the book is written in English that was used just before the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. Personally, I'd rather read Shakespeare. However, over all, I found this book interesting and worth reading if only to catch a glimpse of Ireland's pas
Paula
I can't say that it is a boring book, but I can't seem to stay interested. The translations maintain an archaic style without being unclear, and the explanations are interesting, but the subject is exactly what the title says, and I'm just not feeling it.
Richard
This book is a collection of first hand accounts and other writings, the quality of the writing varied greatly. The account of the siege and battle of Kinsale that closed the book was great and really brought that event to life. Also superior were some of the mythological accounts early in the book. The middle portion of the book dragged as participants seem to have only so many ways to describe large sword battles that they were a part of.
Mari
This collection of original stories regarding the battle for power in Ireland, recorded by monks, is hit-or-miss. Some of the original texts provide fascinating insight or a great flair for storytelling while others are dull – or extremely dull. The introductions and explanations are concise, well-written, and spark interest but the book is uneven overall.
Scott Smith
Are you interested in reading a book of manuscripts and historical accounts of wars fought in Ireland from pre-medieval days to the Renaissance? Do you like lots of cool sounding names, like Hasculf MacTorkel, the Viking king of Dublin? Well have I got a book for you!
If you aren't into that sort of thing, you might not like it all that much.
Ayne Ray
A fascinating look at Ireland's long and storied struggle against conquerors during its first thousand years, evoking myths, stories, legends, and recorded history to create a vivid portrait of a land steeped in a rich oral and written tradition.

Carrie
I love history books, but this one was really slow for me. If you love readying actual historical manuscripts, you will love this.
Penny
Good historical documentation--enjoyed the historical documents from both sides of the wars. Propaganda, myth and poetry. Interesting.
Jeremy
Only made it a little past half-way before returning it to the library, but the collection of stories was very interesting.
Megs
Really informative.
Eddiemcd
Eddiemcd marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Christopher Peart
Christopher Peart marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Blake
Blake marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Craig Niesen
Craig Niesen marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Matt Shay
Matt Shay marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
vicki
vicki marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Robert E. Brett
Robert E. Brett is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
kelly timmer
kelly timmer marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
  • In Search of Ancient Ireland: The Origins of the Irish from Neolithic Times to the Coming of the English
  • The Story of the Irish Race: A Popular History of Ireland
  • The Great Hunger: Ireland: 1845-1849
  • Ireland's Pirate Queen: The True Story of Grace O'Malley, 1530-1603
  • Paddy's Lament, Ireland 1846-1847: Prelude to Hatred
  • The Great Shame: And the Triumph of the Irish in the English-Speaking World
  • The Celts (Penguin History)
  • Michael Collins: The Man Who Made Ireland
  • Dictionary of Celtic Mythology
  • Scotland: The Story of a Nation
  • Britain BC: Life in Britain and Ireland Before the Romans
  • A Secret History of the IRA: Gerry Adams and the Thirty Year War
  • The Green Flag, Vols 1-3
  • In the Lion's Court: Power, Ambition, and Sudden Death in the Reign of Henry VIII
Great Detectives: A Century of the Best Mysteries from England and America The Unending Mystery: A Journey Through Labyrinths and Mazes Chronicles of the Barbarians: Firsthand Accounts of Pillage & Conquest from the Ancient World to the Fall of Constantinople Think on Death (Ziza Todd, #1) City Sleuths and Tough Guys

“...early medieval Ireland sounds like a somewhat crazed Wisconsin, in which every dairy farm is an armed camp at perpetual war with its neighbors, and every farmer claims he is a king.” 6 likes