Start by marking “The Rabbi's Cat” as Want to Read:
The Rabbi's Cat

The Rabbi's Cat (Le Chat du Rabbin omnibus 1; books 1-3)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  3,697 ratings  ·  296 reviews
The preeminent work by one of France’s most celebrated young comic artists, The Rabbi’s Cat tells the wholly unique story of a rabbi, his daughter, and their talking cat — a philosopher brimming with scathing humor and surprising tenderness.

In Algeria in the 1930s, a cat belonging to a widowed rabbi and his beautiful daughter, Zlabya, eats the family parrot and gains the a
Published August 16th 2005 by Pantheon (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Rabbi's Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rabbi's Cat

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
99th out of 2,049 books — 4,591 voters
The Incal by Alejandro JodorowskyRed Rackham's Treasure by HergéThe Nikopol Trilogy by Enki BilalTintin in Tibet by HergéAsterix in Britain by René Goscinny
Best European Graphic Novels/Comics
13th out of 456 books — 153 voters

More lists with this book...

Melki
The good news is - the cat can speak!
The bad news is - he only tells lies!

Well, the second part is wrong, but he is one argumentative puss!
He argues theology with the rabbi, and makes fun of the man's students,
going so far as to follow one young man to see if he frequents a whorehouse.

Cat and rabbi make a great comic duo. Observe this exchange where cat is reading aloud to the rabbi:

Cat - "Because if you want I can look for a fable with only kosher animals."
Rabbi - "Ah! Shut up and read."
Cat - "
Jan Rice

"Sfar-Rabbis Daughter". Licensed under Fair use via Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sfa...

The Rabbi's Cat, by French artist and writer Joann Sfar is a graphic novel set in Algeria in the 1930s.

Despite how his name sounds in English, the author isn't a woman. It's Joann as in Johann: John! Here he is with the model for his fictional cat:

Approaching this review, all I could think of at first was cat puns: The Cat-cher in the Rye. The cat without which there is nothing. A feline of v
Warwick
‘The children are all very loving. They succeed in everything they do, they bring me great satisfaction.’

‘Baruch HaShem!’

‘Bless you.’

Ah, I love me a classic Jewish gag like that. Le Chat du Rabbin is a clever and very charming BD about Algiers's Jewish community in the 1930s, narrated by the titular feline, who early on in the book eats a parrot and gains the ability to talk. He immediately demands a bar-mitzvah – but as you'd perhaps expect from a cat, he turns out to be a skeptic at heart:

So w
Scot
This is an American compliation and translation of three related French graphic novel tales about the life of a Sephardic Algerian rabbi's cat in colonial Algeria round about the 1930s. The first of the three stories was my favorite, as the cat gains the power of speech after devouring a pet parrot and proceeds to argue theology and philosophy, requesting a Bar Mitzvah while also questioning the existence of God. The second story is an adaption of a classic French fable by Fontaine and includes ...more
Caroline
A widowed rabbi, his cat and his daughter live in Algeria spin a story and lesson in Judaism very cleverly crafted in this graphic novel. Through the cat, who having eaten the family parrot, is imparted a miraculous ability to speak, questions and challenges to the Jewish faith are presented to the rabbi and the rabbi's rabbi. First the cat lies about eating the parrot, and then he insists on learning the Kabbalah and wants a Bar Mitzvah.

The rabbi's daughter gets married to a French rabbi and t
Nate
A peculiar, instantly engrossing graphic novel by Joann Sfar, an author who is new to me and who I was surprised to find when I got to the "about the author" page, is a man, despite having what seems to be a woman's name. I was very impressed by the author's knowledge of Jewish ritual and custom, but even more impressed by the unobtrusive way that he works it into the story. The story is both sad and funny in the best way.

One thing I find interesting about the structure of the story is the way o
Andrea
May 18, 2010 Andrea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Andrea by: John
The Rabbi's cat gains the power to talk (by ingestion of parrot) and is no longer allowed to spend time with the Rabbi's daughter, whom he loves, because he is a bad influence. He asks to be bar mitzvahed so that he can be with her, and a delightful discussion ensues.

I loved the first story in this book. In fact, I might have to go back and steal it from John's so I can read it again whenever I want. The two stories that followed were great as well, but the first story made me fall in love with
Justin
An extremely quirky graphic novel by the French comic book artist Joann Sfar. I'd never heard of this guy but supposedly he's pretty hot shit over in Europe (Wikipedia: "Sfar is considered one of the most important artists of the new wave of Franco-Belgian comics.")

It's hard to be completely sure but I think The Rabbi's Cat takes place at the turn of the century, in Israel. As the title suggests, it follows the adventures of a rabbi and his cat, a rather scrappy fellow who has no qualms about ki
Brenna
In one sense, The Rabbi's Cat seems to represent a basic interpretation of Ayn Rand's philosophy of Objectivism. And in others, it light-heartedly recreates the Jewish Algeria of the 1930s. The characters of The Rabbi, The Rabbi's Daughter, and The Rabbi's Cat display multi-faceted prisms of their own personalities - and the entire story is narrated through the eyes of a seven-year-old cat.

In its original French format, The Rabbi's Cat is a series of three (out of five) comic books detailing the
Eva Měřínská
"Řeknu mu, že Bůh je jen smyšlená berlička. Že Bohu nikdo nedává pocit bezpečí, poněvadž je už starý a rodiče mu umřeli." (s. 20)
"Můj pán si myslí, že jsem potvora, protože lžu. když se to nemá, a pravdu říkám, jenom když bolí." (s. 22)
V češtině pouze dvě první alba (Bar micva a Malka, král lvů), zvlášť pvní díl je myšlenkově skvostný.
Rozpravy o judaismu, resp. víře, dogmatických pravdách a domněnkách v podání "němé" tváře odkrývají nečekané úhly pohledu.
Výtvarné ztvránění francouzského Alžírsk
John E. Branch Jr.
If you have an interest in graphic novels, I'd suggest you skip reading any reviews and simply locate this book and plunge in. Part of the fun of reading this comes from figuring out time and place and from finding out things about the characters. Every Goodreads review I glanced at gave away much of that.

What I'll say is this: There's a good deal of cultural atmosphere in the story, much of it related to Judaism, and there's a lot of fun in the plot developments as well as in the graphical styl
Maggie Anton
I saw the animated movie first and loved it, so when I found the book at my local library I couldn't wait to read it. I wasn't disappointed. Funny, poignant, clever and charming, plus a bit of Jewish education from a talking cat. I found myself deliberately slowing down to savor the graphics and make it take longer to finish. I may be forced to actually buy the sequel The Rabbi's Cat 2 since my library doesn't have it.
Fredrik Strömberg
The first of two omnibus collections of Joann Sfar's five album masterpiece, combining his thoughts on Jewish beliefs and culture in general and the Sephardic tradition in Algeria in particular. Beautiful, highly personal art and a modern take on the traditional humorous adventure comics of the French-Belgian tradition.

Story/content:
This is the story of a rabbi in French Algeria in the 1920s, whose cat eats a parakeet and gains the power of speech. The cat starts to question Jewish lore and the
Laini
Dec 02, 2011 Laini added it
This is the third or fourth Sfar book I've read and I loved every panel and every word of it -- LOVED it. He really uses his quirky sense of humor to very human effect here, whereas in Vampire in Love or The Professor's Daughter things were a bit more zany -- fun, but harder to love. The story of an Algerian rabbi, his lovely daughter, and their witty, loving, maniacal, scheming cat (as narrated by the cat) is so winning, I can't even explain it. You just have to read it.
:-)
Bogdan Lascu
Superba!

Grafica, povestea, personajele. Totul impresioneaza!

Am fost placut surprins.

Lynn
What's not to love about a cat who, after eating a parrot and thus winning the power of speech, argues with his rabbi master about theology? And is one of the most winsomely drawn cats since Patrick McDonnell's Mooch? There's a lovely warmth in this graphic novel that ultimately seems focused on connection and presence (with each other and with God and with animals and with place and so on). Once I finished it I wanted to read it again. So I did.
Monica
“The Rabbi’s Cat” is the first graphic novel I’ve read and it won’t be my last. This was a fun and entertaining break to take while reading my usual mystery/crime books. You can’t help but fall in love with the little kosher kitty with the adorable big ears. Add a rabbi and his beautiful daughter and you’ll find yourself quickly reading and turning pages while gazing at the pictures.
Madeline
This graphic novel is very different from the books I have recently been reading, but that doesn't mean it wasn't amazing! The story is filled with Jewish and Rabbinic laws and traditions, and transports you to another world! That's what I loved about reading this, that I didn't feel like I was at home, but that I was in some other country. I love reading books that immerse you in familiar or unfamiliar cultures. While graphic novels usually don't interest me much, this story is not what I first ...more
sweet pea
what a great book! a precious glimpse into Algerian Jewish life featuring, possibly, my favorite literary cat. Sfar is great at getting you instantly immersed in the world he portrays. his illustrations and colors are always highly appealing. i always meant to read this book. glad i finally got a chance to.
Jeffrey Otto
The Rabbi’s Cat is all story and color… and that’s a good thing. To Joann Sfar’s credit, his narrative resonates with a multiplicity of meanings. Like the best animated feature films it has within it the ability to please more than a single audience and, fortunately, not just by appealing to the lowest common denominator among us. From the warm quarried hues of the Kasbah to the pungent gray drab of Paris, there’s no base crudity to be found.

Take the foundational story for the entire series; th
Nina
Algiers, 1930's. The Rabbi’s Cat would not only give me an opportunity to travel, but also get a taste of the Algerian Jewish community, visit the time and place where Jews and Arabs coexisted. It was all looking good! I loved the idea behind it, liked the artwork & the dialogues. The only things I seemed to get a bit annoyed about, was when the cat is the narrator. I just didn't like the style: The rabbi asks this, the rabbi’s rabbi answers that, then he says and he says and he says... Luc ...more
Astrid
Sep 12, 2013 Astrid rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Astrid by: Lia
Shelves: manga-comics
So great! Funny and warm-hearted packaged with philosophising cats; I never stood a chance. I especially love Sfar's messy but vivid line work - wanky as this sounds, the style feels really suited to the way Sfar gently deals with human imperfection and fallibility.
Nikki Morse
Interesting story, gorgeous drawings - both totally undermined by misogyny and empty, objectified female characters.
M. Fenn
The Rabbi's Cat is marvelous. I just sat down and devoured it in about 90 minutes. Delightful, charming, funny. The artwork is great. The sense of humor is sweet. The story is interesting and philosophical. And the cat is super.
Alison
I've only just started this one but it's utterly and completely charming. A cat belonging to a Rabbi eats a parrot and gains the power of speech, but he tells dreadful lies (the first being that he didn't eat the parrot). The Rabbi takes it upon himself to set the cat on the straight and narrow and teach him how to be a good Jew. It was originally written and published in French, so some of the humour is a little different to what I'm used to.

Finished now, and all of the above still holds. I've
Alex Robinson
Since I'm not really interested in Judaism I had a hard time getting into the book at first but I found the characters very compelling once the story got going and of course the art is great.
Sara
In 1920s Algeria, the Rabbi's pet cat eats the Rabbi's parrot because he wants to be able to talk to the Rabbi's daughter, and gains the power of speech. The first thing he uses his new voice for is to deny eating the parrot. This sets the tone for things to come.

I really enjoyed this comic! I only vaguely know the history involved, but the settings are beautifully and richly drawn and it's magical realism in the classic sense - talking cats and religious dilemmas, trained pet lions and colonial
Outi
Funny, well drawn and different, the Rabbi's Cat provides unbiased information about judaism through the thoughts of a very charming cat. I especially enjoyed the cat's comments about dogs!
E.A.
The Rabbi's cat eats a parrot, miraculously talks and immediately lies, 'cause that's just what cats do, being jerks and all. This graphic novel takes the perspective of a cat and his Jewish family, journeying with them as life challenges arise, such as loss of faith, fear of losing a career, value of mentors and marriage and change. Much of the writing, the thoughts of the cat, were in script and very difficult for me to read. There is quite a lot of text packed in to this graphic novel, so you ...more
Whitaker
A really great book shows us how everything is great and worth to die for
  • Aya (Aya #1)
  • Chicken with Plums
  • Laika
  • The Contract With God Trilogy: Life on Dropsie Avenue
  • Epileptic
  • Heads or Tails
  • Castle Waiting, Vol. 1 (Castle Waiting Omnibus Collection, #1)
  • Exit Wounds
  • The Adventures of Rabbi Harvey: A Graphic Novel of Jewish Wisdom and Wit in the Wild West
  • Notes for a War Story
  • Berlin, Vol. 2: City of Smoke
  • Stuck Rubber Baby
  • Yossel, April 19, 1943
  • Hicksville
Joann Sfar (born August 28, 1971 in Nice) is a French comics artist, comic book creator, and film director.

Sfar is considered one of the most important artists of the new wave of Franco-Belgian comics. Many of his comics were published by L'Association which was founded in 1990 by Jean-Christophe Menu and six other artists. He also worked together with many of the new movement's main artists, e.g.
More about Joann Sfar...

Le Chat du Rabbin (5 books)
  • Le Chat du Rabbin, Tome 1: La Bar Mitsva
  • Le Chat du Rabbin, Tome 2: Le Malka des Lions
  • Le Chat du Rabbin, Tome 3: L'Exode
  • Le Chat du Rabbin, Tome 4: Le Paradis terrestre
  • Le Chat du Rabbin, Tome 5: Jérusalem d'Afrique
Le Petit Prince The Professor's Daughter Le Chat du Rabbin, Tome 1: La Bar Mitsva Vampire Loves (Grand Vampire, #1-4) The Rabbi's Cat 2

“You've been the rabbi here for thirty years and these guys who've never set foot here want to decide who should be rabbi or not. And to lead prayer in Hebrew for Jews who speak Arabic, they want you to write in French. So I say they're nuts.” 5 likes