Start by marking “Honey Blonde Chica” as Want to Read:

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  158 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Evie Gomez is one chill chica. She and her best friend, Raquel, hang with the Flojos, a kick-back crew named for their designer flip-flops. And their habit of doing absolutely nothing. But the return of long-lost amiga mejor Dee Dee wrecks Evie and Raquel's Flojo flow. A few years in Mexico City have transformed their shy, skinny, brunette Dee Dee into a Sangro nightmare. ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Simon Pulse (first published April 18th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Honey Blonde Chica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honey Blonde Chica

TheFountainPenDiva
One big problem with most YA written for/about/by PoC (and non-PoC) seems that publishers insist these books be heavily issue-oriented. They're all about "the struggle", whether that be poverty, crime, drugs, pregnancy or race. Not to say these subjects aren't important, but not EVERY young person of colour can or should be reduced to those circumstances. We're diverse. I get tired of mentioning to authors and readers that there ARE Black skater guys, Asian hip-hop girls, Latina Morrisey fans, B ...more
Linda Doyle
Apr 06, 2015 Linda Doyle rated it really liked it
The late Michele Serros was a unique talent, a poet, writer of short stories, and author of young adult novels. Honey Blonde Chica is a sweet story of fifteen-year-old Evie who is learning to become her own person. But first she has to stop allowing her friends to push her around, and she has to appreciate her unique gifts. The story is charming and funny, and Evie's character is well defined. I appreciate that there are no stereotyped Latinos in this book.

My only complaint is that the story be
Michelle Luevano
This book was one of the best books I have ever read.Its a really good book,you should read it. It has a lot of drama.I wish people made more books like the Honey Blondie Chica.
Ari
Evie is not a particularly endearing main character. All the members of the Flojos are well off and Evie takes many things for granted. She has a housekeeper Lindsay that she treats semi-decently, she's not mean to her, but Evie doesn't try to help ease Lindsay's workload either. Evie can also be rather clueless, bringing up memories that may be painful for the other person or just not particularly enjoyable which makes for some awkward moments (and then you wonder how she can be so clueless). A ...more
Bryan
Nov 26, 2012 Bryan rated it it was amazing
Honey Blonde Chica
Evie is the protagonist of this book, she and her BFF, Raquel, hangs with the Flojos, a cool group named for their designer flip-flops, and their habits of being a bunch of lazy bums. But, a return of an old friend of Evies, named Dee Dee, has wrecked her and Racuel’s Flojo flow. After a few years at Mexico city, it has transformed Dee Dee from a shy, thin, brunette Dee Dee into a tight designing thread wearing, blue contacts, and blonde hair chick by the name of Dela.
One Satur
Bryan
Nov 25, 2012 Bryan rated it it was amazing
One Saturday morning, Evie
Dania
Oct 03, 2011 Dania rated it it was ok
Honey Blonde chica is a story about a Mexican-American girl whose life revolves around partying and staying chill. Evie the main character lives in California with her mom and dad. Her family has money sticking out of their pockets. Her dad is hard-working as well as her sister and the rest of her family. Unlike the rest of her family Evie avoids work, but after her long-lost friend Dee Dee returns her life makes a drastic change. The Sangros who she once hated are now the ones she considers her ...more
Dana
Jan 29, 2015 Dana rated it it was ok
On the one hand, does a YA novel need to have the narrator grow and learn and become a significantly better person? On the other hand, why am I reading this if not? Lots more swearing and drinking than I am comfortable with. I could have watched any number of teenage drama/reality programs and got the same cultural edification.
Nealee
Jan 22, 2016 Nealee rated it it was ok
Shelves: do-not-recommend
Okay, let me start this off by saying that I had to read this book for a class in school and it's really not the type of book I read.

I'm just going to list the reasons I don't particularly like this book.
-The main character is clueless, self-centered, and immature. I didn't like her at all.
-There is a very slow moving plot.
-There are so many instances where the main characters use Spanish and don't say what it means. This is unfortunate because I don't speak Spanish, lol. Oh, well.

Truth-be-
Coco Hipwood
Mar 08, 2016 Coco Hipwood rated it really liked it
Good YA book especially for high schoolers not generallly interested in reading. Great book for young Latinas! There is harsh language in English and Spanish which is why I would recommend to no younger than high school. It is however language they most likely hear daily at school.
The editing, I am assuming to Kindle version, is horrific! So many errors. Someone should definitely fix this!
Andrea Caudillo
Apr 16, 2015 Andrea Caudillo rated it it was amazing
This was such a great summer read , I couldn't put it down ! I would definitely recommend this to any teenage girl . Michele Serros does an amazing job at capturing all the aspects of a teenage girls life .
Edith Granados
Apr 23, 2008 Edith Granados rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned from this book is that friendship should always be treasured. Not always good friends come in your life that are going to cherish you, love you, give you good advice and don't back stab you. Now in days people don't really have good friends they always end up hurting them in some kind of way mostly emontionally. This book really makes Evie the main charater realize that her best friend from childhoood is going to be their for her even though she changed her style she is still the same ...more
Eavan
Apr 18, 2010 Eavan rated it it was ok
Very lightweight, but fun. I imagine the author wanted to give affluent, relatively carefree Latina girls a place in YA lit. By the end of the book, I'd gotten a good sense of Evie as a person and enjoyed this look into her lifestyle, but the characters' materialism had seriously started to wear on me.

The language has a good rhythm to it; sometimes the humor is forced or uninspired, but I also found myself laughing out loud at times. The Spanish is a plus.

Scarlet369
Feb 18, 2011 Scarlet369 rated it liked it
I think this book is okay. Not great, not bad, just the in between stage that makes you indecisive on whether or not you want to continue reading the series. At times Evie annoyed me, she was easily persuaded to do things with the Sangros (who she's supposed to hate), Dee Dee, and Raquel. In the end though I came to like Evie more and more. I also liked her relationship with Alex. He's sweet, kind, considerate and really seems to care about Evie.
Jasmin
Jan 31, 2011 Jasmin rated it liked it
This book is about a girl named evelina who likes to be called evie and she hangs out with her crew the flojos means lazy but they call themselves that because of there flipflops. she trys to find her image when a old friend comes back from mexico and she gets torn between her best friend and her old freind who is not really nice

i think it was okay but not really my type of book so u guys can read it and find out if you like or not./
Talya
May 16, 2008 Talya rated it liked it
I wish this book was around during my adolescence. It's nice to see a Latina that is not the maid, jumping over the border, or in a gang. It was a cute story and I loved how the author showed a different side to Latino cliques in high school. It was adorable and I will be reading the next in the series. There is a 15 year-old Latina inside of me asking me to read it. :-)
Maggie V
Mar 04, 2010 Maggie V rated it liked it
This is the "American Born Confused" book for Mexican Americans. It was a light book about Evie who is trying to find herself even though she doesn't realize it. Although she is a bit dumb about her friends and family, I didn't find it annoying. This could have been because I wasn't as concerned about her being able to solve her problems.
Sienna Gonzalez
Dec 08, 2007 Sienna Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teens(especially latinas)
I loved this book. I am a ltina and its interesting to read about another latina but not in a stereotypical character. My mother's friend wrote this book and i haven't read the second book, Scandalosa!, but if it's anything like this book i recommend it as well.
Mar 05, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
A Hispanic-American Gossip Girl. Evie Gomez, while trying to form her own identity, must decide if she wants to be a fun-loving, high-heeled, blonde-streaked Sangro, or a laid-back surfer chick Flojo, which are two very different worlds.
Andy
Sep 30, 2010 Andy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREATEST book I will always Remember!
I would this read this book all my life if i had to!
OFMG!! What Can I say about this book it Real Life setting No Fakes Just a Real Deal. Michele did a great job making this book!!
lucem
Aug 23, 2009 lucem rated it really liked it
Life from the perspective of Mexican Americans in a Southern Californian private school (without uniforms). Highlights: flip-flops, surfing, Mexico D.F., boyfriends, ADA's (Amiga del Alma/Soul Sister), etc.
Chanisce
Jan 07, 2011 Chanisce rated it did not like it
I think this book is boring. I don't like this book because it wasn't intersting to me. I feel you should try to read this book because you might feel different about the book.
Glownthedarc
Oct 11, 2008 Glownthedarc rated it it was ok
Dumbest book I've ever read. I can't believe I read it all. I'm only giving it 2 stars and not 1 because I thought the cover was cute.
E$Mybby.!
Nov 02, 2008 E$Mybby.! rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ERi ONE tHAt LiKESz tO REAd bOOkSz bOUt tEENAgE GiRLSz kiNdA bOUt dRAMA && THiNGSz LikE tHAt.
Recommended to E$Mybby.! by: dA LiBARy dUdE.
i LEARNd tHAt iS REALLy hARd iN PiCkiN yOR CREW OR yOR FRiENdSHiP.! BUt yOUR'LL FiNd WhO yOR tRUE FRiENdSz ARE At thE ENd.!!
Michelle
honey blonde chica is about a girl that has a problem with being blonde and cute and hot.
Marie Suarez
Feb 03, 2009 Marie Suarez rated it liked it
nothin jst an original book but its ok
Jess
Aug 02, 2013 Jess rated it liked it
Not bad, just not great.
Karla
Oct 29, 2007 Karla rated it liked it
Recommends it for: the chica in all of us
Quick light airplane read. First non Michele book by Michele Serros.
Kak Kennedy
Kak Kennedy rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2016
Class of 2013: 2nd Book Review 1 3 May 31, 2013 10:39AM
Class of 2013: book review 2 4 May 06, 2013 09:34PM
Class of 2013: My Book Review 8 10 Mar 27, 2013 11:02PM
Class of 2013: My 2nd Book Review 1 4 Mar 27, 2013 05:23PM
  • Sage Carrington, Eighth-Grade Science Sleuth
  • Adios to My Old Life
  • Haters
  • Bindi Babes (Bindi Babes, #1)
  • Fading Amber (The Cambion Chronicles, #3)
  • Armored (The Té-trad Tale, #1)
  • A Song for Bijou
  • Ms. Marvel, #13: Crushed!
  • Becoming Latina in 10 Easy Steps
  • A Fire in My Hands
  • Into the Vampire City (The Human Revolt)
  • Sofi Mendoza's Guide to Getting Lost in Mexico
  • Same Page
  • Gathering the Sun: An Alphabet In Spanish And English
  • Amor and Summer Secrets (Amor and Summer Secrets, #1)
  • What are You Doing Here?: A Black Woman's Life and Liberation in Heavy Metal
  • Reaching Out
  • Cubanita
Michele Serros was an American author, poet, motivational speaker, and comedic social commentator.
More about Michele Serros...