Start by marking “Sister Chicas” as Want to Read:
Sister Chicas

Sister Chicas

Taina's turning fifteen-and is so dreading her Pepto-pink quinceañera, her Sweet Fifteen.What about her secret Jamaican artist boyfriend? Should she let Mami choose her escort, or follow her heart-and ignite a family riot?

Grachi must choose between being the good Chicana-and grabbing la oportunidad de la vida. Now she needs her Sister Chicas more than ever...

Leni's the r
Published April 4th 2006 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about Sister Chicas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sister Chicas

Ulises
Jun 11, 2008 Ulises rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Latino/a audiences, young adults, writers
This is my humble review of Sister Chicas...

There’s a moment early in Sister Chicas where Graciela, the oldest of three closely knit Latinas calling themselves the Sister Chicas, has just been invited to a prestigious writing retreat. Always the responsible one — the one who juggles college classes, a part-time job at a Pilsen bookstore, tutoring, and being the model daughter for her loving parents — Graciela reacts to the invite with a mixture of surprise, joy, and guilt. Mostly guilt. Because
Ari
Feb 24, 2011 Ari rated it liked it
These authors love metaphors. I like metaphors too, but I think there was one on every other page. Some of them just made no sense. For example, "the room's air suddenly the texture of a daisy touched by a little girl's fingers." (pg. 67). What does that even mean??? They also love emphasizing that these girls are SISTER CHICAS BUT NOT RELATED (in case you didn't get that from the title or the synopsis or the first chapter). Don't let me forget about the flashbacks. Just no. I understand having ...more
Brittany
Mar 09, 2009 Brittany rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of the Sisterhood series of Dirty Girls Social Club
Recommended to Brittany by: No one
How I Came To Read This Book: The tiara called out to me from the bargain book table. What can I say?

The Plot: The book is divided up across three character's stories - written by the three co-authors of the book - but the three girls in focus are also improbable friends. Taina is sort of the star of the story (at least in terms of the Tiara) as a girl on the verge of her Quinceanera (the Puerto Rican equivalent of a sweet 16, but with wayyy more tradition involved) - the problemo? Taina has bee
Adriana
May 09, 2016 Adriana rated it really liked it
I have to say, I'm crazy about this book; it made me love my own heritage more than I ever knew that I could, and it's opened a door for me to Hispanic literature that I don't think I'll ever be able to shut.

My sister bought this book nearly a decade ago, I'd say; she picked it up on a whim, flew through it, and passed it on to me because she insisted that I would love it. I had it in my possession for quite some time, too, but I never got around to it for whatever reason and eventually I had to
Martha
May 19, 2008 Martha rated it did not like it
This had a good premise-- American/Latino culture clash, but it was written in a kind of preachy holier-than-thou sort of way. I loved the amount of Spanish incorporated into the text, but I bet it would be annoying for someone who doesn't speak Spanish. The plot is fairly predictable and the character development is lacking-- I think I would have preferred if this wasn't written by three seperate authors each trying to tell the complete story of each of the characters and instead chose to focus ...more
Canadiambookgirl
Mar 24, 2016 Canadiambookgirl rated it did not like it
My review on this book is a 1/5 because I thought it was terrible, the plot and story line is all over the place and makes no sense to me. It was hard to stay in tune with it and interested in it, the only reason I finished was because it was one of the few books I brought to Europe with me so I really didn't have a choice, but to read it until I found myself a bookstore, which I did the last day!
Upstatemamma
Oct 30, 2010 Upstatemamma rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-books
This book was fun. I liked Taina, Grachi and Leni very much. They were all very strong, intelligent young women who were learning an awful lot about themselves and life. Their families were similar and yet very different. This added a lot of intrigue. I liked the way the book was written from each girls point of view. It told me a lot about them and their families. The ending left me wanting just a little more and feeling like it was not quite over yet. So, that was a little disappointing.
Diane
Apr 04, 2011 Diane rated it it was ok
Is a good book about Sister Chicas there was three of themselves it starts with Graciela the one that doesn't want to have a 15 party(Quinceñera)that her mom really wants her to have because is a tradition that been in generation in her mom family.

I like this book because is for teenage girls, every girl is going to pass through a moment like this when they want to do her a 15 party(Quinceñera) because she is becoming an adult.
Lauren
Jul 30, 2008 Lauren rated it really liked it
Set in Chicago during the 90's, three young ladies reluctantly prepare for the youngest's quincenara (sorry, no tilde). One of the main character's punk rock lifestyle sent me back 20 years. Three unique perspectives about home, school and life.
this would be great for a high schooler, but is a joyous read for anyone. Comes with a glossary for the less bilingual.
Erendira
Jan 09, 2009 Erendira rated it really liked it
The idea of three writers collaborating on one book was my favorite part about this book! Each author is a different character and they take turns every chapter telling the story in first person from their character's perspective, so unique!
Linnea
Aug 06, 2010 Linnea rated it it was amazing
Maribel
Jan 29, 2008 Maribel rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young ladies
Recommended to Maribel by: a gift from Rebecca (my sis)
This story addresses what it's like to have two cultures to live in and love. I enjoyed reliving my own past experiences and viewing them from a more mature perspective (mine, not the characters in the story!)
Judy Hall
Oct 12, 2008 Judy Hall rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
I got a copy of this book from one of the authors herself and it is perfect for my students in an inner city high school. It's so hard to find realistic, humane books about/ by Latinas.
Jocelyn
May 18, 2011 Jocelyn rated it it was ok
This book was okay. It was about Latin girls. There were a couple of them and how each one of them were going to have a Quince and one of the girls didnt want one.

I didnt really like.
David Gray
Jun 16, 2011 David Gray rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Fascinated by the efforts os these young women to make peace with their Hispanic backgrounds in their American lives. Great variety of voices and characters.
Cindy
Nov 30, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Awesome. i liked how all three girls helped each other with their problems. Includes many teen related problems.
Kacie
Aug 12, 2010 Kacie rated it did not like it
Nothing flowed in this book. The half Spanish half English got very old. It just lacked a lot of qualities.
Sandra Alonzo
Sep 19, 2011 Sandra Alonzo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Good multicultural book about friendship and the quinceanera tradition, told in three distinct voices.
ღஐღCielito Lindo
Jun 18, 2010 ღஐღCielito Lindo rated it really liked it
Really proud to be Latina!! I love the way the teenage life was portrayed in this book.
Carlos Cumpian
Jan 19, 2009 Carlos Cumpian rated it really liked it
This couldn't have been easy to write. Three authors one story.
Junieth
so far is kind of boring but is also interesting.
Linda
Aug 17, 2008 Linda rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written!
afrikate
Jun 29, 2013 afrikate rated it really liked it
Loved this!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Cristal
Cristal marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Amanda Shannon
Amanda Shannon marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Fabiana Alvarez
Fabiana Alvarez marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
SETTING 1 0 Mar 15, 2008 07:54PM
Lisa Alvarado is an educator, poet, novelist, and journalist. She is the founder of La Onda Negra Press, and is author of Reclamo and The Housekeeper’s Diary, originally a book of poetry and now a one-woman performance. Her first novel, Sister Chicas (written with Ann Hagman Cardinal and Jane Alberdeston) was bought by Penguin/NAL, and released in April 2006. Sister Chicas is a coming of age story ...more
More about Lisa Alvarado...