Start by marking “American Chica: Two Worlds, One Childhood” as Want to Read:
American Chica: Two Worlds, One Childhood

American Chica: Two Worlds, One Childhood

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  414 ratings  ·  60 reviews
In her father’s Peruvian family, Marie Arana was taught to be a proper lady, yet in her mother’s American family she learned to shoot a gun, break a horse, and snap a chicken’s neck for dinner. Arana shuttled easily between these deeply separate cultures for years. But only when she immigrated with her family to the United States did she come to understand that she was a h ...more
Published May 28th 2002 by Dial Press Trade Paperback (first published May 8th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about American Chica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Chica

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezLove in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezThe House of the Spirits by Isabel AllendeLike Water for Chocolate by Laura EsquivelThe Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Latina/Latino Fiction
181st out of 429 books — 715 voters
A Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonIn The Neighborhood by Peter LovenheimThe Worst Hard Time by Timothy EganGrowing Up Native American by Patricia RileyGrowing Up Asian American by Maria Hong
American
7th out of 111 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

LC Curtis
American Chica is not How the Garcia Girls Lost their Accents nor is Marie Arana another Julia Alvarez. More’s the pity. That said, I’m an easy grader and mostly love to read anything that is not macabre, fantasy, or sci-fi. I find biculturalism and bilingualism irresistible topics and personally fascinating b/c of my own bicultural-bilingual experiences. So what in my humble opinion is not to like about American Chica? ¡Nada en absoluto!

I flew through the book devouring every detail and was to
Margie
Sep 03, 2013 Margie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margie by: Erik Pavlina
This memoir was filled with interesting stories, history, and poignant observations about the adventures and difficulties of having a mixed background. I was the first person in my family to be born in the U.S. Although both of my parents are from the same country, I identified greatly with the author's feeling of not belonging in either country, always an "other." In Colombia, I am a foreigner; in the U.S., I am a minority. I am too "Americanized" for my family, having adopted values of America ...more
Phil
My wife had set this book aside after barely starting it, and out of curiosity, I picked it up. Then I could hardly put it down. You can read a summary elsewhere. Memoirs, autobiographies, and biographies are my favorite types of reading. But when you read a memoir that has all of the elements of a gripping novel--well, that's the best. This story of Marie Arana's childhood is like that. Parts seem so fantastic that they must be fiction or fantasy, but they really were part of her life. Since th ...more
Angela Smith
The author writes about growing up in America and Peru and how she had to almost have a dual personality to adjust to the differences of the 2. I could relate, because I grew up traveling between 2 cultures as well, even though it wasn't as drastic as hers was. A really interesting book.
Anne
poetical and lyrical
fascinating history of peru
compelling narrative
complex family story and history
wow!
Ivy
Marie Arana writes an engaging memoir of her childhood growing up in her father's Peru and, later, her mother's United States. Life is a happy one for little "Marizi". She comes from an old, affluent family of European descent which includes a house full of servants and every privilege granted to a family of status. A typical child, Marizi is very fond of role playing, drama, getting into mischief and learning a thing or two from the servants.

Life centers around her mother and father--the dashi
TPK
(reposted from my blog)

This was a pure and simple impulse read. I happened to be scanning the biography section of the library, saw this book, read the back blurb and took it away with me.

American Chica is a wonderful read; Arana was trained as a journalist, and her beautifully detailed descriptions and carefully-chosen similes point out the many ways in which her parents' trans-continental marriage and her privileged upbringing in Peru, then the dramatic change to middle-class surroundings in t
Cleo
Though Marie Arana is Peruvian, not Chilean, her writing style really reminded me a lot of Isabel Allende's. American Chica is a memoir, but it's not a straightforward memoir; she meanders between her own experiences and investigating her family. A big focus of American Chica is Arana's identity. Her father is a Peruvian, and here mother an American, and she's not sure whether she's South American or a "gringa." Through different phases of her life, she alternates between the two. In Peru, she's ...more
Jeff
It's autobiography, so in a sense you're stuck -- her life was what it was. I would have liked a slightly different emphasis. Most of her attention was given to her time in Peru, in Cartavo and Lima, and then an extended visit to her mother's family in Wyoming. The time after she returned to USA just was given a few pages at the end -- sort of a "oh, I became an American girl, but kept some of the Peruvian stuff too". I was left thinking that somehow it was a little more complicated than that. A ...more
Jenny
I really liked this memoir. The author looks with humorous detachment at herself, the result of a tricky union between a man from Peru and a woman from the US. Arana’s mother lived in Peru for years, but was never all that comfortable there, and her father was woefully homesick whenever he lived away from his homeland. They were more attached to their own cultures than to each other, but still they managed to raise three children together.

Arana, the youngest, saw herself as a hybrid early on. S
Jasmine
Such a gorgeous book-- I found myself constantly underlining beautifully worded passages. Arana's writing style is definitely poetic. I appreciated the time she took to explain the concept of Pachamama to the reader and unreservedness with which she writes about her own spirituality. Found myself in tears at the end. An excellent memoir--perhaps embellished in some small points-- but undoubtedly a pleasurable read.
Carole
Well written recounting of her confusion and difficulties as the offspring of a tempestuous marriage of a Peruvian father and American mother. Both families have something to hide. Each parent's difficulty in adjusting to or understanding the culture and expectations of the other results in lurches back and forth between the refined traditions of Peruvian family life and the rude practicality of the American West. Arana effectively brings in the mysticism and superstitions of the Peruvian experi ...more
Abraham Yoo
I think this book can be considered valuable nonfiction book to read. While I was reading, I found myself sharing the experiences living in United States with the author since I have been shared two cultural aspects like what she did. The book tells how the author struggles to fit herself into societies. I liked how she struggles; she tries to understand her family's root. I think she could move forward since she committed to face the truth. One thing that I had trouble with this book was the fa ...more
Patricia Murphy
I enjoyed this descriptive and lyrical account of a girlhood spread over two very different continents. At times the writing reminded me of Waiting for Snow in Havana, mostly in a good way, but in one bad way--I don't care for the use of the conditional. I would rather have one scene fully realized than many scenes conflated into one.
I found this book in the book room at school when I was looking for some non-fiction to read. I'm fascinated by South American (I'd love to travel there someday), so I brought the book home to read. I mostly read American Chica before bed, but it really isn't a before bed kind of book. I think the book got short shrift from me due to this. Plus it got put down for a while when I got into the Twilight series. Still, I found Marie Arana's expriences of growing up in two cultures an interesting rea ...more
Kelly
I didn't like American Chica: Two Worlds, One Childhood, although it was critically acclaimed. For one, I take issue with a book being labeled a memoir when it has incredibly detailed accounts of events that happened when the author was four years old. When I was four, my preschool took a field trip to a dairy farm and we sat in a circle and drank chocolate milk. That's all I remember about being four. Secondly, nothing that happened in the author's childhood was interesting enough to justify wr ...more
Lucander
Not the book I was hoping for when I read this - expecting a "airplane book" I could assign 100-level students. Still, a very well-written (but someone drawn-out) memoir about living in Peru, Wyoming, and...New Jersey. The pre-history of Arana's might be drawn-out for some readers, but her reminisces are revealing. More stories of her siblings would be interesting. Not going to make my students read this, but I'm glad that I did - good summer reading for professor types.
Katrina
wow, this book helped me gain some serious insight into my own relationship, and some of the "in-law" disconnects. there were definitely some scary "ah ha!" type of moments. but it definitely helps you appreciate the cultural gaps between our country and some others, without necessarily advocating one way vs. the other. it also helped prepare me for the potential reality i could face should i choose to (one very very very far off day) raise children abroad.
Denise
Figuring out who you are is hard enough for someone who grows up from a conventional childhood. Arana is trying to make sense of Peruvian animism, Wyoming cowboys, New York privilege, Catholicism, engineering, prejudice, ballet, death, secrets, language, navels. That she manages to integrate it all is evidence for the theory that genetic crosses make stronger descendants, or maybe that it takes a lot of talent and education to build a lasting bridge.
Nancy Hartney
Moving from one country to another is never easy. Living between two cultures is even more difficult. Arana's description of her time in Peru and in the U.S. is poetic and moving. I initially picked this book up solely for the language but found myself entralled by the story of a young woman coming of age and growing into her roots. I'd recommend this for children of bi-racial parents as well as for those considering crossing cultures.
Ashley
Being that I am a first generation american myself, (my Mother came here at 8 yrs old from Medilion Columbia) I have been there with the feelings of "Who Am I", "How Should I live my life? Traditional or American?, Spanish at home English 99.9% of places I go... I have always felt like 2 very Differnt people and I was very happy to find such a warm, telling book about "my feelings"
Maret
Jul 31, 2008 Maret rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who knows (or wants to know) how it feels to balance two different worlds
This is an incredible book that I really related to because I'm from the U.S. and my husband is from Ecuador. It helped me begin to think about the possible struggles my children will face by being from two different cultures. I also loved reading about Arana's time in Peru because I have travelled a lot in Peru and lived in Ecuador for several years.
Brittany
An interesting look at one woman's life as half Peruvian and half American in the middle of the racially-charged 1950s. Some parts drag a little, but she makes some really interesting observations about what it's like to see one's self as a product of two different cultures, and how one chooses one over another depending upon the current situation.
Chris
Eh...I don't know if her life was really interesting enough to warrant writing a book about it. When I read a memoir, I like it to draw me in, make me feel like I know the author and feel some of the joy of their life. I didn't feel that. I was bored a lot, and I thought it was pretty depressing.
Diane16

An interesting memoir, but an event better primer to the history of Peru. The author does a very good job at using the metaphor of a bridge to represent how she feels about being "of" two countries. I especially enjoyed her descriptions of the indigenous Peruvian spiritual believes.
Katie
I read this book a long time ago. I think I liked it so much because I could identify with the main character and what it feels like to have one parent from Peru, and one from America. The author includes accurate and very interesting information on Peruvian culture and history.
Jan
Memoir of a girl born in the early 50's, to an American mother and Peruvian father. Wonderful tales of her childhood in Peru, her move to New Jersey, belonging to two very different worlds. Well written and thoughtful.

Her grandparents lived in Rawlins, WY!
Emily
As an American trying to live as a Mexican housewife, I completely identified with Arana's mom. The complexities of a culturally mixed home are at times hilarious and at other times...well, frustrating. Arana writes a good, interesting, true, and fun narative.
Pretty interesting read. She's a very interesting lady, too. I had lunch with her and her husband when she came to speak at my university. Her reflection on living between two cultures is interesting, and I really enjoyed reading about Peru and Peruvian culture.
Lynne
It took a while for me to get into this book, but I ended up enjoying. I appreciated the perspective of the professional Peruvian (her father)working for a large U.S. company and what that meant for his family. My favorite part covered the author's education in Peru.
  • Once Upon a Quinceanera: Coming of Age in the USA
  • A Dangerous Friend
  • The 14 Sisters of Emilio Montez O'Brien
  • Almost a Woman
  • Life on the Outside: The Prison Odyssey of Elaine Bartlett
  • Untangling My Chopsticks: A Culinary Sojourn in Kyoto
  • Bar Flower: My Decadently Destructive Days and Nights as a Tokyo Nightclub Hostess
  • Everything but the Squeal: Eating the Whole Hog in Northern Spain
  • Grrrls: Viva Rock Divas
  • Looking for History: Dispatches from Latin America
  • Lucky Girl
  • Altared: Bridezillas, Bewilderment, Big Love, Breakups, and What Women Really Think About Contemporary Weddings
  • A Respectable Girl
  • The Foreigner
  • Chicana Falsa
  • If Your Dream Doesn't Scare You, It Isn't Big Enough: A Solo Journey Around the World
  • I Do But I Don't: Why the Way We Marry Matters
  • No Turning Back: The History of Feminism and the Future of Women
She was born in Peru, moved to the United States at the age of 9, did her B.A. in Russian at Northwestern University, her M.A. in linguistics at Hong Kong University, a certificate of scholarship at Yale University in China, and began her career in book publishing, where she was vice president and senior editor at Harcourt Brace and Simon & Schuster. For more than a decade she was the editor i ...more
More about Marie Arana...
Bolivar: American Liberator Cellophane Lima Nights The Writing Life: Writers on How They Think and Work : A Collection from the Washington Post Book World The Virginia Quarterly Review: Fall 2012

“Sometimes God knocks us back a bit to remind us we're not as big and mighty as we thing.” 2 likes