Start by marking “The Godfather” as Want to Read:
The Godfather

The Godfather (Mario Puzo's Mafia)

4.36  ·  Rating Details ·  269,095 Ratings  ·  5,770 Reviews
When Mario Puzo's blockbuster saga, The Godfather, was first published in 1969, critics hailed it as one of the greatest novels of our time, and "big, turbulent, highly entertaining." Since then, The Godfather has gone on to become a part of America's national culture, as well as a trilogy of landmark motion pictures. Now, in this newly-repackaged 30th Anniversary Edition, ...more
ebook, US, 436 pages
Published October 1st 2005 by New American Library (first published March 10th 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Godfather, please sign up.

Lawand In 1983, Puzo's literary sequel to The Godfather was published. Entitled The Sicilian, it chronicles the life of "Giuliano" (Salvatore Giuliano) but…moreIn 1983, Puzo's literary sequel to The Godfather was published. Entitled The Sicilian, it chronicles the life of "Giuliano" (Salvatore Giuliano) but the Corleone family is featured heavily throughout, Michael Corleone in particular. Chronologically this story sits between Michael's exile to Sicily in 1950 to his return to the USA.

In 2004, Random House published a sequel to Puzo's The Godfather, The Godfather Returns, by Mark Winegardner. A further sequel by Winegardner, The Godfather's Revenge, was released in 2006. The sequel novels continue the story from Puzo's novel.(but it is for a different author)

In 2012, a prequel, based on an unproduced screenplay by Mario Puzo, titled The Family Corleone was written by Ed Falco. It tells the story of how Vito Corleone rises to Don and how Sonny Corleone and Tom Hagen enter the family business.

hope this answer helps :) (less)

Brina
Mario Puzo wrote The Godfather, a book that was to become an instant classic, at a time when both his personal life and that of the United States were in transition. Puzo's first two novels had not sold well, and he was almost penniless. A young, up and coming author, Puzo sought to write his version of the great American novel that would also work well on the silver screen. Meanwhile, in a time of war, the nation was beginning to view the mafia rather than Cowboys as the great American hero. Ac ...more
Kerstin
Mar 16, 2008 Kerstin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm one of the people who watched the whole movie trilogy and then after that found out that The Godfather
exists as a novel. Naturally, I had to purchase it.
It is a matter of taste, I suppose, but next to the movies - so elegant and grandiose - it feels a bit like reading pulp fiction. Maybe it's that the book is lacking the presence of charismatic Hollywood giants Marlon Brando and Al Pacino, whose legendary performances rival those of Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh in Gone With The Wind. It's h
Manny
"Come in."

"Ah, Don Corleone, I'm sorry to trouble you -"

"Sit down."

"Thank you, Don Corleone -"

"Where is your mother from?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Your mother, she is from Italia. Which town?"

The rest of this review is available elsewhere (the location cannot be given for Goodreads policy reasons)

Ahmed
Nov 16, 2014 Ahmed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.

قد تكون هي الجملة الأشهر فى تاريخ صناعة السينما , ولكن قبل أن ينطق بها العظيم مارلون براندو , كان قد خطها قلم روائي مبدع فى أحد الروايات الخالدة .

الفيلم الذى نادرا ما تجد أحد يكرهه (خاصة لو رجل ) فهو سحر السينما مجسدًا , فله تأثير السحر ومفعوله وبريقه الذى لا يُقاوَم.

قرأت نسخة إنجليزية لهذا العمل من حوالي سنتين , وللحق فهي أكثر القراءات الأجنبية التى استمتعت بها رغم أنها كانت تجربة مرهقة جدا بالنسبة لي , المهم أننا هنا لا نتحدث عن مجرد عمل روائي بل نت
Diana
Mar 26, 2015 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
if u haven't read this please do...a treasure to keep forever
Fabian
Feb 27, 2014 Fabian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Puzo creates his awesome world & then plays with his own elements (those of detective noir and mob drama) like a world-class chess champion. Less than a fourth into the narrative, POW! the Don has been shot. And, hold on a sec, who is the protagonist here? I thought Michael. Or the Consigliari Hagen. Or Hollywood heart-throb Johnny Fontaine? The full display of individual destinies is what makes this better than its cinematic equivalent. Here we see flesh-and-blood people living at a Hadean ...more
Stephanie
The Godfather by Mario Puzo rocks!!

I have watched the awesome movie several times (as well as Godfather 2 and 3) and LOVED it... Finally, read the book and it was worth it! Got a bit more background and color around some of the characters and didn't mind re-visiting the Corleone family!!

I think that most people are well familiar with the plot; therefore, not going to recap it again.

Let's just leave it at - this is a book focusing on bad guys / mafia with a lot of action -- violence, sex, alcohol
Kaion
Feb 04, 2012 Kaion rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern, school, seen
Indeed, dear reader, I did not hate The Godfather. I h-aa-ted it.

How much did I hate it? Well I could start with a long dissemination of Mario Puzo's simplistic and repetitive prose. Puzo seems to think the reader needs a reminder of plot points that occured ten pages ago, and that unnecessarily drawing out an obvious reveal by splitting it up into three points of view counts as suspense.

Or I could give you a thorough cataloguing of how very poser-y The Godfather, with its bombastic ideas of mas
Hasham Rasool
It was a very good book. Alhamdulillah. I can't wait to get 'The Family Corleone' and 'The Sicilian' books.

My favourite characters are Vito Corleone/Godfather and Michael Corleone.

'The Godfather and The Godfather part 2' movies were awesome.

'The Godfather part 3' was pointless! The only part I actually enjoy watched 'The Godfather part 3' was 15 minutes before at the end of the film.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Godfather (Mario Puzo's Mafia), Mario Puzo
عنوان: پدر خوانده؛ نوشته: ماریو پوزو؛ ترجمه: آذرمیدخت بهزادی؛ تهران، نشر علم، 1370
عنوان: پدر خوانده - ویتوکورلیونه - دن ویتونه؛ نوشته: ماریو پوزو - فرانسیس فورد کاپولا؛ ترجمه: علیرضا شمیرانی؛ تهران، پارینه، 1376
عنوان: پدر خوانده؛ نوشته: ماریو پوزو؛ ترجمه: حجت الله سلیمانی؛ تهران، جاده ابریشم، 1377، در 40 ص؛ شابک: 9646225322؛
عنوان: پدر خوانده؛ نوشته: ماریو پوزو؛ ترجمه: محمد پورفر؛ تهران، نشرگستر، 1388، در 465 ص؛ شابک: 9789645544896؛
عنوان: پدر خوانده
Matt
Apr 07, 2015 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-novels
I’m sure you’ve had the timeless book-verses-movie argument before. Everyone has. You’re standing at the water cooler at work, and a coworker comes up to you and says “Boy, The English Patient is an excellent movie!” And maybe you say something back like “Michael Ondaatje’s Booker-Prize winning novel is far superior.” At that point, your coworker calls you a “pretentious snob” and you respond with “sewer-dwelling ignorance peddler.” There is some cursing. Maybe someone throws water on the other. ...more
Roxanne
Mar 02, 2008 Roxanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book! This book started my long running obsession with Mafia.

The Godfather is one of the best pieces of literature ever written. Mario Puzo paints this elaborate picture of the Sicilian mafia through the eyes of Michael Corleone, a returning Marine Corps hero who at first wants nothing to do with the elaborate crime family that his father has built.

Don Vito Corleone, an Italian immigrant who goes from poverty in Little Italy to create one of the Five Families of New York
Israel
Jul 15, 2008 Israel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The epic masterpiece of mafia fiction. Puzo is good and entertaining elsewhere, here is great and masterful. It is to mobster books what Godfather parts 1 & 2 are to mobster movies...a standard that can never be equalled. What really intrigues me about Puzo's presentation of the Corleone family, and something that does not translate as explicitly to the screen, is the incredible sense of moral and religious conviction that what they do is right and good. At times I found myself believing tha ...more
Foad
خنده دار است كه تا بيست سال پيش شبه روشنفكران ما، با چه چيزهايى پز مى دادند! با ديدن فيلم بن هور، ئى تى، جنگ ستارگان، فيلم هاى عامه پسند هاليوودى كه مخاطبشان نوجوان هاى پانزده ساله بودند! يعنى به عبارت ديگر، به دليل عقب ماندگى فرهنگى عمومى، هر چيزى كه از زيردست "از ما بهتران" در مى آمده را روى هوا مى قاپيدند به خيال اين كه گوهرى يگانه است.

بايد دسترسى به محصولات فرهنگى غرب گسترش مى يافت تا تحصيلكرده ها كم كم دريابند تفاوتى هست بين جنايت و مكافات با اينديانا جونز، بين داستايوسكى و استيون اسپيلبرگ،
Jr Bacdayan
May 13, 2013 Jr Bacdayan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"..for Justice, we must go to Don Corleone."

In a world where laws are broken, where the government is only a puppet, where murder is routine and safety a rare thing, Don Corleone holds all the strings. He is the avenging angel, the thief in the night, the protector of the poor, the warrior of the wops, the ultimate puppeteer. He is the loving father, the faithful husband. He is the Godfather.

Don Vito, Sonny, Fredo, Michael, Tom, Clemenza, Tessio, Luca Brasi, the entire family, they're like the
Lou
Jun 04, 2011 Lou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good read that demands re-read has been long time ago for now..

Madeline
Sep 04, 2009 Madeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-list
New Brilliant Future Career Idea: mafia wife.

Think about it - all you have to do is cook, have some babies, and go to Mass once a day. Sure, I might have a hard time learning to never ask questions about anything, but I could always get a hobby to occupy my time with. At the very least, being a mafia wife would give me tons of free time to finish The List.

It's win-win, really.
❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄
Mar 27, 2013 ❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one actually :/:
Recommended to ❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ by: Priya's Mom
The Godfather by Mario Puzo...

Gimme one reason why there was NO CAT IN THE BOOK???
But they added one in the movie, huh.

So, the Godfather is this guy:

Most loved him, I didn't so I'm not going to talk about him. But his ideals are kinda cool.
“Friendship is everything. Friendship is more than talent. It is more than the government. It is almost the equal of family."
“Revenge is a dish that tastes best when served cold.”
“A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.”
"Every
Sidharth Vardhan
“There are things that have to be done and you do them and you never talk about them. You don't try to justify them. They can't be justified. You just do them. Then you forget it.”

"Behind every successful fortune;There is Crime.”

"The lawyer with the briefcase can steal more money than the man with the gun.”

“We are all honorable men here, we do not have to give each other assurances as if we were lawyers.”

"Time erodes gratitude more quickly than it does beauty!”

The novel 'The Godfather' leav
Sonia
2017 PopSugar reading challenge #31 A book where the main character is a different ethnicity than you

Tenía cierto temor de que el haber visto la película me arruinara un poco la experiencia de leer el libro. Bien, en un principio lo hizo un poco, y por eso lo dejé en pausa, para dejar correr un poco más de tiempo, y finalmente logré disfrutarlo como era debido. Este tema a mí me emociona un poco demasiado y no sé por qué, pero la cosa es que el que esté tan bien trazado me hace pensar que no exi
BrokenTune
May 30, 2017 BrokenTune rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
3.5*

Don Corleone put his hand on the man’s shoulder. “Good,” he said, “you shall have your justice. Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do me a service in return.

A classic among the modern classics, which I had woefully ignored, I barely even remember watching the film. Clearly, the whole Godfather cult had passed me by.

Well, the good thing about the book was that it was fast paced and made for utterly compelling reading - from beginning to end. There were a few parts
Naddy
Oct 17, 2016 Naddy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I wanted to read this book from very long time and I had the paperback for almost 6 months on my shelf. Recently I met one colleague, she told me she had read Godfather like bible day and night and she had read it like 5 times. And she said you read it once and I can vouch your life will never be same. I was sure this book is masterpiece but wasn’t sure it has that much impact on people’s live.
To start my own experience….
How can you imagine a book goes wrong or let u down which starts with a be
Ana
Dec 03, 2016 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, crime, mafia
“He smelled the garden, the yellow shield of light smote his eyes, and he whispered, "Life is so beautiful."

photo giphy_zps1nbta658.gif
Xime García
★★★: Me gustó, nada extraordinario.

2.75 en realidad.

Mario Puzo, mis disculpas, es que
description

Solo para ambientar el momento: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9vA7...

Son pocas las veces que leo el libro después de ver la película y en un 90% de los casos siempre digo, SIEMPRE como filosofía de vida, que "el libro es mejor".

Me he topado, por supuesto, con excepciones.

Este es uno de los casos más nombrados cuando "la película supera al libro" se trata. Y no lo digo porque el libro sea malo. Honestament
Nhi Nguyễn
Cuốn tiểu thuyết này của Mario Puzo thực sự là một tuyệt tác, một tuyệt tác kỳ vĩ và hào hùng về một trong những đại gia đình mafia nổi tiếng nhất tại Mỹ thời hậu chiến tranh thế giới thứ 2. Tất cả mọi thứ được viết trong “Bố Già” (tựa gốc tiếng Anh: “Godfather”), tất cả mọi nhân vật được tạo ra, mọi chi tiết, câu thoại, diễn biến, câu chuyện đời, chuyện nghề của riêng từng nhân vật, đều được khắc họa một cách hấp dẫn, lôi cuốn đến mức gây nghiện, khiến tôi không mong gì hơn là sở hữu một thứ th ...more
Nandakishore Varma
This book supplied the words "Don" and "Mafia" to Indian languages. Now, a cartel of land-grabbers is a "Land Mafia"; there are illicit liquor traders who run "Spirit Mafias" - in Kerala, there are even gangs who do illicit extraction and sale of river sand who are called "Sand Mafia"! Similarly, any two-bit gang leader in the city is called an underworld "Don". Verily, Vito Corleone must be turning in his grave.

However, it shows how much we have been influenced by this landmark novel. In my ear
Manju
Dec 26, 2014 Manju rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Manju by: Srividya
I saw the movie few years ago and loved it. I was unaware at that time that its an adaptation of a book of same name. Courtesy Goodreads I finally came to know of this fact. But still I was in no mood to read the book until my friend Srividya recommended it to me.

There are so many aspects of the book that I loved but characterization simply blew me away. Puzo has given his characters so much depth. Don Corleone, Michael, Tom Hagen, hot-headed Sonny and every other character was brilliant. Corleo
Hussein Dehghani
May 29, 2016 Hussein Dehghani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1
رمان پدرخوانده، کل فیلم اول و قسمت های جوانی دان ویتو کورلئونه (با بازی رابرت دنیرو در فیلم دوم) را در بر دارد. باقی فیلم دوم و فیلم سوم در کتاب نیستند و فیلمنامه های پدرخوانده ۲ و ۳ با مشارکت ماریو پوزو نوشته شدند. در اینجاست که تفاوت ها با نگاه پوزو مشهودتر است. مثلا پوزو در مصاحبه ای ذکر می کند که قسمت کشته شدن فرودو به دستور مایکل، پس از مرگ مادرشان، با نظر کارگردان، یعنی کوپولا خلق شده و خود پوزو با این قسمت از داستان، مخالفت می کند اما به نتیجه ای نمی رسد. به نظر پوزو چنین کاری از مایکل، ب ...more
Bodosika Bodosika
Unputdownable!
Hayat
4.5

I knocked off half a star because all the women were one dimensional characters without any substance and also some of the scenes were repetitive. Other than that, I loved this book. It was addictive.

Mario Puzo’s prose might be simplistic but he presents an incredibly thrilling and intricate tale about the Mafia underworld set in the 1940's America which is centred on the Italian American family, the Corleones.

But Don't be mistaken into thinking the women of the family have anything to do wi
Men's Book Club: * (BoM) June 2017 - The Godfather by Mario Puzo 5 30 Jun 19, 2017 06:11AM
Racist and sexist 17 107 Jun 10, 2017 02:32PM
Movie and Book 1 3 Jun 05, 2017 06:24AM
Goodreads Librari...: Add info 3 13 Jun 05, 2017 02:21AM
Bookwarts Club of...: The Godfather - Spoilers 6 17 Mar 07, 2017 08:08PM
Around the Year i...: The Godfather, by Mario Puzo 3 17 Jan 17, 2017 06:36AM
  • Wiseguy
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
  • L.A. Confidential (L.A. Quartet, #3)
  • The Godfather Returns
  • Airport
  • Tishomingo Blues
  • Fear is the Key
  • Katherine
  • Dexter Is Delicious (Dexter, #5)
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • Jaws
  • The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists
  • The Fall of the Athenian Empire
Puzo was born in a poor family of Neapolitan immigrants living in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood of New York. Many of his books draw heavily on this heritage. After graduating from the City College of New York, he joined the United States Army Air Forces in World War II. Due to his poor eyesight, the military did not let him undertake combat duties but made him a public relations officer statione ...more
More about Mario Puzo...

Mario Puzo's Mafia (7 books)
  • The Sicilian

25 trivia questions
3 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“I'll make him an offer he can't refuse.” 1501 likes
“Friendship is everything. Friendship is more than talent. It is more than the government. It is almost the equal of family.- Don Corleone” 984 likes