Start by marking “The Adventures of Laura and Jack (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Adventures of Laur...

Laura Ingalls Wilder

The Adventures of Laura and Jack (Little House Chapter Books: Laura #1)

Laura and her beloved bulldog, Jack, share some wild adventures as the Wilder family moves from Wisconsin to Kansas and later to Minnesota.
Published (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Laura and Jack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Laura and Jack

Linda
This book is so very good. I dearly love this series. There are 14 Books,in this series. These books are clean family type stories and that is what I love about this series.

I give this book 5/5 Stars and I highly recommend them. I am hoping that my Library has all 14 Books in this series. I have Book #2 which I got from my Library.
Molly
Forced by my children to stop reading before last chapter because...Jack dies.

I didn't know that this was just a series of jumpy excerpts from the longer books. I thought it was going to be new content (kind of an "inspired by" rather than "excerpted from.")
Lauri
Jul 04, 2014 Lauri rated it liked it
Good for kids. I do feel there's a slight awkwardness to how it jumps from book to book. It always bugs me that Jack's death gets to me when I know that he and the Ingalls parted ways much sooner.
Lindsay
Mar 02, 2015 Lindsay added it
Shelves: age-3-to-read
A chapter book that is the right level for Andrew at 3. Chapters are 6-8 pages.
I would have a hard time giving less than 5 stars to Laura Ingalls Wilder even if the book was put together from sections of her previous books. She has a lot to do with my addiction called reading.

A kid and her dog. A kid and her dog in the wild woods and prairies. A winning combination invoking rapt attention from my boys. We went from young dog Jack to old dog Jack and, yes, I still get choked up when Jack goes to the Happy Hunting Grounds.

This was a great chapter book for my young readers.
Karen
10/26/09 An interesting little read after growing up reading the Little House on the Prairie Series (and of course watching the TV show!)

This particular book took episodes from Laura's life that involved Jack, the dog. Each chapter shared an experience they two had. I do have higher hopes for other "A Little House Chapter Book" series. But we'll see if Annabelle likes them enough to read more. She seemed to think it was okay, but made no comment of excitement as we read it.
Dayna
Jul 22, 2010 Dayna rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
judy_k26
Dec 04, 2014 judy_k26 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Little House Chapter Books are adaptations of the Little House series of books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, and they are adaptations that are done well. They are meant to be read by children who are beginning to read chapter books, and are both interesting and educational. The Adventures of Laura and Jack is the first in the series of Little House Chapter books.
Colleen
Nov 02, 2011 Colleen rated it really liked it
First chapter book I've read with my girls and they loved it! It was hard for us to keep to just one chapter a night (they are short) and the content seemed appropriate enough for their ages (3 and almost 5). Looking forward to more of Laura Ingalls Wilder, especially when they graduate to the real ones.
Anna
Jan 08, 2011 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-by-myself
They were best friends. Jack would guard their house while they were sleeping. In the daytime he would play with Laura. Jack almost got washed over when they went across the river in the covered wagon. When the river was calm he swam across.
Monica
Oct 20, 2012 Monica rated it really liked it
My only negative for this selection of stories is that Jack dies at the end!!! Very hard for my son to deal with, and I was trying not to cry (which that further worsened it for my son)!!! Otherwise, a great collection of stories.
Jacque
Sep 08, 2015 Jacque rated it it was amazing
MD read this aloud to me. She gave it 5 stars. I give it 4. She like the book because it was an adventure story and liked that Laura was not afraid of trying new things. She likes learning about the "old days."
Meadow Frisbie
Nov 13, 2009 Meadow Frisbie rated it really liked it
Very cute. They took some of the main stories from the original book and put them into easy-to-read chapters for children.
Rosa Cline
4 star

This is a collection of 'chapters' from the actual novels about Laura and Jack. Compiled into one book
Catherine
Feb 12, 2010 Catherine rated it it was amazing
this book is so cool anyone who loves realistic fiction will love this
Amber
Mar 25, 2009 Amber rated it liked it
A great read with a 6 year old. We laughed, we cried...
Neysa
Mar 13, 2013 Neysa rated it really liked it
Great beginning reading book.
Penelope
Dec 29, 2014 Penelope rated it really liked it
Ewa
L: LG - BL: 3.5 - AR Pts: 1.0
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Mgerwig44gmail.Com
Mgerwig44gmail.Com rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
GabbieDewolfe
GabbieDewolfe rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Jaime
Jaime marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Mauren
Mauren rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Johnny
Johnny marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Blue Ghost
Blue Ghost rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
Erin A
Erin A marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Mandyk
Mandyk marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Aimée O'Brien
Aimée O'Brien marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
  • Brookfield Days (Little House Chapter Books: Caroline, #1)
  • Across the Puddingstone Dam (Little House: The Charlotte Years, #4)
  • Kirsten on the Trail
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
  • Children Just Like Me
  • Again, Josefina!
  • Mandie and the Washington Nightmare (Mandie, #12)
  • George Washington and the General's Dog
  • Things People Do
  • Aloha, Kanani
  • Sonia Sotomayor: A Judge Grows in the Bronx/La juez que crecio en el Bronx
  • Bachelor Girl (Little House: The Rose Years, #8)
  • A Ghost in the House
  • Nate the Great and the Snowy Trail
  • The Secret of the Attic (Magic Attic Club, #1)
  • Who Was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart?
  • Encyclopedia Brown Carries On (Encyclopedia Brown, #14)
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.
More about Laura Ingalls Wilder...

Little House Chapter Books: Laura (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Pioneer Sisters (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #2)
  • Animal Adventures (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #3)
  • School Days (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #4)
  • Laura & Nellie (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #5)
  • Farmer Boy Days (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #6)
  • Little House Farm Days (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #7)
  • Hard Times on the Prairie (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #8)
  • Little House Friends (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #9)
  • Christmas in the Big Woods
  • Laura's Ma (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #11)