Start by marking “The Adventures of Laura and Jack (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Adventures of Laur...

Laura Ingalls Wilder

The Adventures of Laura and Jack (Little House Chapter Books: Laura #1)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Laura and her beloved bulldog, Jack, share some wild adventures as the Wilder family moves from Wisconsin to Kansas and later to Minnesota.
Published (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Laura and Jack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Laura and Jack

Lauri
Good for kids. I do feel there's a slight awkwardness to how it jumps from book to book. It always bugs me that Jack's death gets to me when I know that he and the Ingalls parted ways much sooner.
I would have a hard time giving less than 5 stars to Laura Ingalls Wilder even if the book was put together from sections of her previous books. She has a lot to do with my addiction called reading.

A kid and her dog. A kid and her dog in the wild woods and prairies. A winning combination invoking rapt attention from my boys. We went from young dog Jack to old dog Jack and, yes, I still get choked up when Jack goes to the Happy Hunting Grounds.

This was a great chapter book for my young readers.
Karen
10/26/09 An interesting little read after growing up reading the Little House on the Prairie Series (and of course watching the TV show!)

This particular book took episodes from Laura's life that involved Jack, the dog. Each chapter shared an experience they two had. I do have higher hopes for other "A Little House Chapter Book" series. But we'll see if Annabelle likes them enough to read more. She seemed to think it was okay, but made no comment of excitement as we read it.
Dayna
judy_k26
The Little House Chapter Books are adaptations of the Little House series of books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, and they are adaptations that are done well. They are meant to be read by children who are beginning to read chapter books, and are both interesting and educational. The Adventures of Laura and Jack is the first in the series of Little House Chapter books.
Colleen
First chapter book I've read with my girls and they loved it! It was hard for us to keep to just one chapter a night (they are short) and the content seemed appropriate enough for their ages (3 and almost 5). Looking forward to more of Laura Ingalls Wilder, especially when they graduate to the real ones.
Anna
They were best friends. Jack would guard their house while they were sleeping. In the daytime he would play with Laura. Jack almost got washed over when they went across the river in the covered wagon. When the river was calm he swam across.
Monica
My only negative for this selection of stories is that Jack dies at the end!!! Very hard for my son to deal with, and I was trying not to cry (which that further worsened it for my son)!!! Otherwise, a great collection of stories.
Meadow
Very cute. They took some of the main stories from the original book and put them into easy-to-read chapters for children.
Catherine
this book is so cool anyone who loves realistic fiction will love this
Amber
A great read with a 6 year old. We laughed, we cried...
Neysa
Great beginning reading book.
Penelope
Sandra Miller
Sandra Miller marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Yolanda
Yolanda marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Christine Jones scott
Christine Jones scott marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Jennifer Cotton
Jennifer Cotton marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Elita Perusek
Elita Perusek marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
John
John added it
Dec 14, 2014
John Brunell
John Brunell marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Marlene Edwards
Marlene Edwards marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Volunteer Library
Volunteer Library marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • High Hopes for Addy
  • You Can't Eat Your Chicken Pox, Amber Brown
  • Horrible Harry and the Purple People
  • Again, Josefina!
  • Kirsten on the Trail (American Girls Short Stories)
  • Mandie and the Washington Nightmare (Mandie, 12)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
  • Wild Whale Watch (The Magic School Chapter Book, #3)
  • 97 Ways to Train a Dragon (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #9)
  • Down to the Bonny Glen (Little House: The Martha Years, #3)
  • Kailey
  • Children Just Like Me
  • The Chocolate Fudge Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #14)
  • Who Was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart?
  • Expedition Down Under (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #10)
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.
More about Laura Ingalls Wilder...

Little House Chapter Books: Laura (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Pioneer Sisters (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #2)
  • Animal Adventures (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #3)
  • School Days (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #4)
  • Laura & Nellie (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #5)
  • Farmer Boy Days (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #6)
  • Little House Farm Days (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #7)
  • Hard Times on the Prairie (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #8)
  • Little House Friends (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #9)
  • Christmas in the Big Woods
  • Laura's Ma (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #11)
Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2) Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1) The Little House Collection (Little House, #1-9) On the Banks of Plum Creek  (Little House, #4) Little Town on the Prairie  (Little House, #7)