Start by marking “Neko Ramen: Hey! Order Up!” as Want to Read:
Neko Ramen: Hey! Order Up!

Neko Ramen: Hey! Order Up! (Neko Ramen #1)

Taisho was a former kitten model, who ran away from home and had a hard life on the streets...until the day he was saved by a kind ramen shop owner who later served as his mentor. Now Taisho takes pride in his noodles...and is easily angered when customers are dissatisfied! So step aside, Soup Nazi - there's a new cat in town!
Published June 8th 2010 by TokyoPop (first published December 24th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Neko Ramen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neko Ramen

Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaBeauty Pop, Vol. 1 by Kiyoko AraiVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Awesome Manga
83rd out of 286 books — 140 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollThe Complete Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson
Great "Cat" Books
190th out of 1,050 books — 603 voters

More lists with this book...

Mizuki
Jan 20, 2014 Mizuki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, wonderful
It's a cute, heartwarming, humorous manga about a cat (a 'neko' in Japanese) opening a ramen (noodle) restaurant, but there's one problem: his ramen is as awful and outlandish as it can get!

All the characters (both cats and humans) are vivid and comical, it's delightful to see those characters react to one strange situation (and the awful ramen) after another. Our main character, Mr. Cat (aka Taisho) is a hotheaded, short-tempter at times young man cat with a big dream: he wants to become chief
Dini Afiandri
Ulasan ini untuk volume 1 sampai 4.

Ceritanya unik. Untuk komik 4 panel, ide komik ini tidak biasa.
Karakter-karakternya semua absurd, dan kombinasi ramennya Taisho bisa membuat jenis ramen yang seharusnya sangat biasa malah jadi super-duper aneh. Jalan ceritanya juga tidak tertebak.

Tapi yah, begitulah komik ini. Saya memutuskan tidak lanjut mengoleksinya karena terjemahannya terhitung mahal untuk sebuah komik yang cukup tipis.
Tiga bintang.
Nerdish Mum
Apr 15, 2015 Nerdish Mum rated it really liked it
A really fun little book. I love both Taisho and Tanaka and their friendship is cute. A very quick and easy read
The Book Sale Scrounger
I can't say that I understand the appeal of this book that so many other readers have encountered. It has that awkward Japanese 4koma humor where something weird happens and the story's straight man reacts to that in a display of shocked facial expressions. This formula has found success in other forms of Japanese media (Watamote comes to mind, though I guess that it's more of the world reacting to Tomoko than a particular straightman), even within the realms of other 4komas. Except that the "we ...more
Amy
Aug 06, 2015 Amy added it
Shelves: 2014, comix-manga
Manga about a cat who owns a ramen shop -- when I started reading it, I liked the concept more than I liked the actual book. The art seemed kind of slap-dash, and there was no over-arching story; just a collection of four-panel jokes. But I really started liking it when the reader meets taisho's father:

I love this picture because it shows you how cute he is (he's a famous cat model). At this point, we start learning some of Taisho's backstory -- he was supposed to follow in his father's footstep
Guguk
Suka kucing? Ya!!
Suka ramen? Ngg.., biasanya sih doyan mie instan atau mie dok-dok yang lewat itu, tapi anggap saja...ya!!

Atas dasar itu aku nekat ngambil komik yang harganya 'istimewa' ini, icip 1 volume~

Gambar : 1.5 bintang
Kekoplakan : 4 bintang...kadang garing, kadang jayus, kadang kocak-kocak-bego yang menyenangkan (^,,^)

Tapi karena harganya itu...""( >,,<)
Aku ngarep nemu lanjutannya yang bekas U^皿^U *apabolehbuat*
Dawn Rutherford
Jul 12, 2015 Dawn Rutherford rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Odd...makes both cats and ramen less appealing.
Sara
A 4 panel manga about a cat named Taisho who runs a ramen shop in Tokyo.

Each 4 panel is short and can be read individually but if you read them from beginning to end, they do tell a story.

The funniest is when the one lone customer that comes to the ramen shop every day asks to use the restroom. It's a litter box with a shovel and a couple of turds. And Taisho doesn't know what's wrong. For some reason, this cracked me up more than any other joke in this entire book.

And there's plenty of cat stor
Vanessa
Aug 03, 2014 Vanessa rated it really liked it
To be quite honest, this book just made me laugh over the absurdity of it all.
Vicki
Sep 15, 2015 Vicki rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-and-comics
This is a 4-koma manga (4 panel comic strip) series about a cat who runs a ramen noodle shop. The art is simple but in the end it suits the gag strip format.

I tend to love (or at least be interested in getting hold of) any manga that's released in English that features cats (I'm pretty sure if I lived in Japan I'd be one of those crazy folks who buys doorstop-think books of cat-manga every other week). After being semi-burned on a couple of cat manga (I had to learn that just because it has cats
Charles
May 29, 2012 Charles rated it really liked it
Nina (Death, Books, and Tea)
Sep 24, 2011 Nina (Death, Books, and Tea) rated it really liked it
Review:There isn’t really a plot to this. There kind of is. But there’s not much to it. The cat on the front, Taisho, runs a ramen(noodle) shop. Tanaka, a man who to me looks like a young-middle aged man but could be any age due to the drawing style, is his only regular customer. The book is mainly four panel strips documenting their conversations regarding new ramen (dessert ramen with milk and strawberries, jumbo ramen with two giant fishcakes that is free if eating within the half hour, ad di ...more
Michelle
Apr 24, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, humor
Taisho runs a ramen shop... and he's a cat. The funny thing is, he doesn't think it's strange to have a cat make and sell ramen. When you walk in to his shop, be prepared to have any ingredient or topping served in your bowl. You can follow Taisho's adventures from starting out as a cat model to making his own way to a ramen chef with his own ramen shop. You will meet a wide variety of characters along the way including Taisho's baby brothers.

Neko Ramen is not your average manga. It is actually
Nindy Hardjadinata
Gambarnya sih sebenernya nggak canggih-canggih amat, di beberapa scene malah ada yang "sketsa" banget. Cuma ceritanya ringan dan cukup menghibur :)

Sayang harganya mahal banget buat sebuah komik T.T
Sarah Hayes
Jul 20, 2011 Sarah Hayes rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga-lns-misc
I remember watching the Neko Ramen anime back when Crunchyroll was still hosting fansub videos. It was hilarious and quirky and clearly a labor of love shared between various creators, thus giving each animated short a different style and atmosphere than the one before. I had extremely high expectations for the manga when I heard Tokyopop had licensed it for English language release and now that I've had a chance to properly digest the first volume, I can say with confidence that all my expectat ...more
Tracey
Jun 11, 2016 Tracey rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
graphic novel (rated teen for 13+ but kids could also read it). Neko starts out a little tame, but Taisho's character quickly grows on you.
Vindy Putri
Jun 08, 2015 Vindy Putri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: komedi
Pertama kali lihat gambarnya udah jatuh cinta..., baru beli sampai nomor 3.
Indah Threez Lestari
Waktu kecil sepertinya aku suka kucing, tapi setelah kena cakar aku tidak berani pegang-pegang lagi.

Tapi itu tidak berarti aku tidak suka kalau lihat kucing-kucing yang unyu, atau baca manga-manga kucing yang lucu macam Poyo, atau kucing tukang ramen ini :)

PS. Waktu beli manga ini di Gramedia Plangi, ternyata aku dapat diskon 10% karena belanja pakai KGV. Padahal manga ini bukan terbitan kelompok KKG, tapi terbitan Second Wind, yang kelompok Mizan Media Utama.

Mbak kasir, lain kali hati-hati ya,
Miss Ryoko
Dec 26, 2013 Miss Ryoko rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, library-book
I didn't know before I started reading this that it was sort of a compilation of small comics? Though that makes me happy since TokyoPop was releasing these volumes so once I hit the 4th volume, it shouldn't be so annoying I won't be able to read the rest.

I thought the comic strips were cute. I wasn't overly impressed with it, but it's a fun, entertaining read. And of course, Taisho is quite fun! I will read the remaining 3 available volumes. I look forward to reading more about Taisho's shenani
Paige
Sep 17, 2014 Paige rated it it was amazing
Neko Ramen was one of the cutest mangas I have ever read. It is perfect for someone who is new to manga. I loved it.
Matthew
Aug 23, 2010 Matthew rated it liked it
A very cute collection of manga shorts strips centered around a cat that owns his own Ramen shop. It's done very much in a daily strip kind of style, with most jokes going from setup to punchline in 3 panels.

Didn't think I'd like this one at all at first, but the jokes really build on top of each other. After about 1/3 of the way through I caught myself smiling at quite a bit of the book. A great title for those kids who keep reading the same Garfield or Calvin and Hobbes books.
Sara
This book is just plain weird. It is a comedy manga featuring a series of short comics about a cat who cooks terrible ramen dishes and sells them in a store usually frequented by one customer. There were definitely some funny parts. I loved the drawings of the cat's fussy-looking father, who had been a cat model. The story wasn't particularly compelling so I don't know if I'll read more volumes, but it was good to enjoy some silliness.

Julie
Jan 06, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, cat, japanese
Sonishi's accurate portrayal of the mannerisms of cats makes Taisho all the more endearing. A fun, joyous exploration of the world of ramen chefs and their trade, as well as an entertaining self-made cat whose true aspiration is to be a sushi chef. The illustrations are creative and well drawn, and fit the characters well. The cliffhanger at the end about Taisho's true love will make you read the next one!
Leigh
Dec 30, 2010 Leigh rated it it was amazing
CATS, they're awesome. it only took me 30 years to learn this but now that I know, everything that can easily encapsulate all the funny things they do, is A-OK in my books. neko ramen does that with pictures even. it's funny, the cat is a cutie, and he makes ramen. i don't think you can much better than this.
Mar 05, 2011 Laura rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
I think the idea and drawings are cute, but overall, it just wasn't my cup of tea. I donated my copy to a middle school library. I think it will appeal to the kids who devour the Garfield and Calvin and Hobbes comics in the library.
Molly
Jun 24, 2010 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, manga
Cute!! A cat who works in a ramen shop! And he's a terrible cook. I love it. The cat part? Maybe. The ramen? Possibly. The four panel style? Partly. Good for those who liked Azumanga daioh or are a sucker for Japanese cutesy things.
Richard
Oct 18, 2010 Richard rated it it was ok
Japanese four-panel comic strip about a cat that runs a ramen restaurant. Some of the strips are pretty funny. A lot of strips center around the fact that he makes crummy ramen.
Loren
Apr 22, 2011 Loren rated it it was ok
I was a little disappointed that this manga was more like a collection of comic strips. It was still a cute read though. I mean, who doesn't like a cat ramen chef?
Hannah Conner
Jun 13, 2010 Hannah Conner rated it it was amazing
A charming story about a cat named Taisho who has his own ramen shop. Very comedic and has a lot of heart! If you like cats and manga you will love this book!
Candice M (tinylibrarian)
Aug 23, 2010 Candice M (tinylibrarian) rated it really liked it
Shelves: ggn11noms
This manga kept me laughing out loud at all of Taisho's ramen-making/ramen-marketing antics. Taisho, by the way, is a cat who makes terrible, terrible ramen.
  • Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 3
  • Saturn Apartments, Vol. 1 (Saturn Apartments, #1)
  • Baron: The Cat Returns
  • My Love Story!!, Vol. 7
  • The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi-chan: The Untold Adventures of the SOS Brigade, Vol. 01
  • A Home for Mr. Easter
  • Kaoru Mori: Anything and Something
  • Crimson Empire Vol. 1: Circumstances to Serve a Noble
  • Paradise Kiss, Part 1
  • She-Hulk, Vol. 3: Time Trials
  • Chobits, Omnibus 1
  • 食戟のソーマ 10 [Shokugeki no Souma 10] (Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma, #10)
  • Wandering Son, Vol. 2
  • Translucent, Volume 1
  • 月刊少女野崎くん 3 [Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 3]
  • Miracle Girls, Vol. 3
  • Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 1
  • Love★Com, Vol. 9
Also written as そにしけんじ. Is a Japanese manga-ka (comic book artist).
More about Kenji Sonishi...

Neko Ramen (4 books)
  • Neko Ramen: Curry Is Also Delicious!
  • Neko Ramen: A Cat After All!
  • Neko Ramen: We're Going Green! Kind Of...