Neko Ramen: Hey! Order Up!

Neko Ramen: Hey! Order Up! (Neko Ramen #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  209 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Taisho was a former kitten model, who ran away from home and had a hard life on the streets...until the day he was saved by a kind ramen shop owner who later served as his mentor. Now Taisho takes pride in his noodles...and is easily angered when customers are dissatisfied! So step aside, Soup Nazi - there's a new cat in town!
Published June 8th 2010 by TokyoPop

To ask other readers questions about Neko Ramen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neko Ramen

Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriFruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri HinoBeauty Pop, Vol. 1 by Kiyoko AraiDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi Ohba
Awesome Manga
73rd out of 347 books — 129 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollInto the Wild by Erin Hunter
Great "Cat" Books
315th out of 887 books — 405 voters

More lists with this book...

Mizuki
It's a cute, heartwarming, humorous manga about a cat (a 'neko' in Japanese) opening a ramen (noodle) restaurant, but there's one problem: his ramen is as awful and outlandish as it can get!

All the characters (both cats and humans) are vivid and comical, it's delightful to see those characters react to one strange situation (and the awful ramen) after another. Our main character, Mr. Cat (aka Taisho) is a hotheaded, short-tempter at times young man cat with a big dream: he wants to become chief...more
Vicki
This is a 4-koma manga (4 panel comic strip) series about a cat who runs a ramen noodle shop. The art is simple but in the end it suits the gag strip format.

I tend to love (or at least be interested in getting hold of) any manga that's released in English that features cats (I'm pretty sure if I lived in Japan I'd be one of those crazy folks who buys doorstop-think books of cat-manga every other week). After being semi-burned on a couple of cat manga (I had to learn that just because it has cats...more
Charles
Nina at Death Books and Tea
Review:There isn’t really a plot to this. There kind of is. But there’s not much to it. The cat on the front, Taisho, runs a ramen(noodle) shop. Tanaka, a man who to me looks like a young-middle aged man but could be any age due to the drawing style, is his only regular customer. The book is mainly four panel strips documenting their conversations regarding new ramen (dessert ramen with milk and strawberries, jumbo ramen with two giant fishcakes that is free if eating within the half hour, ad di...more
Michelle
Taisho runs a ramen shop... and he's a cat. The funny thing is, he doesn't think it's strange to have a cat make and sell ramen. When you walk in to his shop, be prepared to have any ingredient or topping served in your bowl. You can follow Taisho's adventures from starting out as a cat model to making his own way to a ramen chef with his own ramen shop. You will meet a wide variety of characters along the way including Taisho's baby brothers.

Neko Ramen is not your average manga. It is actually...more
I remember watching the Neko Ramen anime back when Crunchyroll was still hosting fansub videos. It was hilarious and quirky and clearly a labor of love shared between various creators, thus giving each animated short a different style and atmosphere than the one before. I had extremely high expectations for the manga when I heard Tokyopop had licensed it for English language release and now that I've had a chance to properly digest the first volume, I can say with confidence that all my expectat...more
Vanessa
To be quite honest, this book just made me laugh over the absurdity of it all.
Indah Threez Lestari
Waktu kecil sepertinya aku suka kucing, tapi setelah kena cakar aku tidak berani pegang-pegang lagi.

Tapi itu tidak berarti aku tidak suka kalau lihat kucing-kucing yang unyu, atau baca manga-manga kucing yang lucu macam Poyo, atau kucing tukang ramen ini :)

PS. Waktu beli manga ini di Gramedia Plangi, ternyata aku dapat diskon 10% karena belanja pakai KGV. Padahal manga ini bukan terbitan kelompok KKG, tapi terbitan Second Wind, yang kelompok Mizan Media Utama.

Mbak kasir, lain kali hati-hati ya,...more
*Queen Diva*
I didn't know before I started reading this that it was sort of a compilation of small comics? Though that makes me happy since TokyoPop was releasing these volumes so once I hit the 4th volume, it shouldn't be so annoying I won't be able to read the rest.

I thought the comic strips were cute. I wasn't overly impressed with it, but it's a fun, entertaining read. And of course, Taisho is quite fun! I will read the remaining 3 available volumes. I look forward to reading more about Taisho's shenani...more
Paige
Neko Ramen was one of the cutest mangas I have ever read. It is perfect for someone who is new to manga. I loved it.
Matthew
A very cute collection of manga shorts strips centered around a cat that owns his own Ramen shop. It's done very much in a daily strip kind of style, with most jokes going from setup to punchline in 3 panels.

Didn't think I'd like this one at all at first, but the jokes really build on top of each other. After about 1/3 of the way through I caught myself smiling at quite a bit of the book. A great title for those kids who keep reading the same Garfield or Calvin and Hobbes books.
Sara
This book is just plain weird. It is a comedy manga featuring a series of short comics about a cat who cooks terrible ramen dishes and sells them in a store usually frequented by one customer. There were definitely some funny parts. I loved the drawings of the cat's fussy-looking father, who had been a cat model. The story wasn't particularly compelling so I don't know if I'll read more volumes, but it was good to enjoy some silliness.

Julie
Sonishi's accurate portrayal of the mannerisms of cats makes Taisho all the more endearing. A fun, joyous exploration of the world of ramen chefs and their trade, as well as an entertaining self-made cat whose true aspiration is to be a sushi chef. The illustrations are creative and well drawn, and fit the characters well. The cliffhanger at the end about Taisho's true love will make you read the next one!
Leigh
CATS, they're awesome. it only took me 30 years to learn this but now that I know, everything that can easily encapsulate all the funny things they do, is A-OK in my books. neko ramen does that with pictures even. it's funny, the cat is a cutie, and he makes ramen. i don't think you can much better than this.
Mar 05, 2011 Laura rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
I think the idea and drawings are cute, but overall, it just wasn't my cup of tea. I donated my copy to a middle school library. I think it will appeal to the kids who devour the Garfield and Calvin and Hobbes comics in the library.
Molly
Cute!! A cat who works in a ramen shop! And he's a terrible cook. I love it. The cat part? Maybe. The ramen? Possibly. The four panel style? Partly. Good for those who liked Azumanga daioh or are a sucker for Japanese cutesy things.
Richard
Japanese four-panel comic strip about a cat that runs a ramen restaurant. Some of the strips are pretty funny. A lot of strips center around the fact that he makes crummy ramen.
Loren
I was a little disappointed that this manga was more like a collection of comic strips. It was still a cute read though. I mean, who doesn't like a cat ramen chef?
Hannah Conner
A charming story about a cat named Taisho who has his own ramen shop. Very comedic and has a lot of heart! If you like cats and manga you will love this book!
Candice M (tinylibrarian)
This manga kept me laughing out loud at all of Taisho's ramen-making/ramen-marketing antics. Taisho, by the way, is a cat who makes terrible, terrible ramen.
Neven
I like the premise here—a sassy, too-proud cat opens a ramen shop—but the jokes are super corny, so the whole thing reads like a webcomic.
Kerry
This looked like it was going to be absolutely hilarious, but unfortunately I did nothing but groan and yawn. Sadly I couldn't finish it.
Tay [is yumalishious]
It was a cute book about a cat who runs a RAMEN STORE!!! I love Tasho! And I love his entire family are cat models haha!
Heron
SO CUTE!!!!! Also, I think I built some new brain-cell connections being forced to read right to left and up to down.
Malia
Sweet and short little comic strips. Taisho is funny and not very in to the whole 'being a cat' thing.
»ƒranxine«  Bau†is†a
I love this experimental cat with his ridiculous stories.
This book may be nonsense, but I love nonsense. (:
Bibliophile
Very light reading. It's a cat running a ramen store. What's not to love? I have no complaints.
Yodamom
original funny and just plan silly fun, and enjoyable read with decent artwork.
Paul Baribeau
This book is amazing. Every page has a good laugh on it. Seek out this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 4
  • Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 1
  • Cross Game 1 (Cross Game, #1-3)
  • The Drops of God 1 (The Drops of God, #1-2)
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 01
  • Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1
  • Maoh: Juvenile Remix, Vol. 1
  • Bunny Drop 4 (Bunny Drop, #4)
  • Aria, Volume 1 (Aria, #1)
  • Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture, Volume 1
  • Dororo, Vol. 1
  • Someday's Dreamers, Vol. 01
  • Saturn Apartments, Vol. 2
  • She-Hulk, Vol. 2: Superhuman Law
  • 7 Billion Needles, Volume 1
  • Translucent, Volume 1
Also written as そにしけんじ. Is a Japanese manga-ka (comic book artist).
More about Kenji Sonishi...
Neko Ramen: Curry Is Also Delicious! Leave It to PET! (Leave It to Pet!: The Misadventures of a Recycled Super Robot, #1) Neko Ramen: A Cat After All! Neko Ramen: We're Going Green! Kind Of... Leave It to PET!, Vol. 2