Start by marking “A Little House Birthday” as Want to Read:
A Little House Birthday

A Little House Birthday (My First Little House Books)

Join the Ingalls family as they celebrate little Laura’s fifth birthday in the Big Woods of Wisconsin. There are special presents from everyone, and that night Laura falls asleep to the merry music of Pa’s fiddle. Renée Graef’s enchanting full-color illustrations, inspired by Garth Williams’s classic artwork, bring Laura and her family lovingly to life in our tenth My Firs ...more
Published September 5th 1998 by HarperCollins (first published September 26th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about A Little House Birthday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little House Birthday

Lisa Carroll
Apr 12, 2011 Lisa Carroll rated it it was amazing
I never realized that this collection of My First Little House Books existed. This is a wonderful example of historical fiction meant for younger children. The Little House series was always fascinating not only to me, but also to my Mother. We loved watching the series and reading the books when I was older. It was a pleasure to introduce something that I loved as a child to my son, who is five years old. He was fascinated with how they made bathwater and why Sundays were so quiet. By the end o ...more
Lynne
Mar 31, 2008 Lynne rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This is one of several books in a series titled "My first little house". A single episode from "Little House in the Books" is illustrated as a picture book for younger children. The stories are classic and the drawings are well done, but the books fall rather flat when they are read to real live pre-schoolers. I think the difficulty is that children who are too young for the original books are too young to have a sophisticated enough sense of time to appreciate even simple historical fiction. Wa ...more
I am torn when it comes to this newish Little House series. On the one hand, I am a champion of tradition and the original series holds such a fond place in both my memory and heart that I am instantly leery of any knock-off. On the other hand, there remains the possibility that these books will introduce a young generation to Laura and her adventures and that this positive association will lead the child to investigate the original series on her own (yes, I know boys may like these too but, com ...more
Callie Stillion
This book was really good! I`m excited to continue this series. It`s really good, and just keeps going on with the series.
Laura`s birthday is coming up! But she doesn`t know. It`s a two-day adventure up to her birthday. Saturday is always bath day. And Laura takes her bath first.
On Sunday, it`s very hard for Laura. She can`t control herself and starts to shout, run, and play with Jack.
Then it`s Laura`s birthday. She`s excited, and does a lot of things.
I think this book is really good. It is hel
Jamie
Jan 22, 2011 Jamie rated it liked it
My daughter loves this book, but I find it really frustrating that so much of it is about how awful Sundays are rather than inserting something else into the storyline. I know that that's how the original books are written, but I think it skews the perspective when half of the birthday book is about how lame Sundays are. I skipped those parts every time I read this to my daughter and was relieved when we gave it back to the library so that I wouldn't have to remember to skip the "Sundays were so ...more
Dolly
May 31, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I haven't read Little House on the Prairie to our girls yet, so I thought I would read some of the books in this series of picture books first to introduce them to the story. They enjoyed the pictures and the story is short and sweet. It's a nice story to read at bedtime. We've read this one a couple of times.
Heidi-Marie
I adore Little House. Of course. They have a special place for me. I love that they have adapted some of the stories into picture books. But this one seemed to lose a bit of the charm. It wasn't all about how special the birthday was. The Sunday bit seemed a bit odd to have in there. Maybe it was supposed to show how special her celebration was. I don't know. But it isn't quite what I was hoping for in a birthday-theme book.
Kim♥
Dec 04, 2008 Kim♥ rated it it was amazing
Much to my delight, my boys who are five and two absolutely love these books! The "My First Little House" series takes stories out of the original little house books and illustrates them beautifully. My boys love to point out each family member and my five year old asks lots of questions. These books have become a wonderful way to introduce history and "the simple life" to my little ones. These books have great family values. :)
Jessika
I adore the Little House books, and these "First Little House Books" are so charming. I can imagine that they would be a good introduction to the classic series for those readers who haven't quite made it to chapter books yet. Besides that, the illustrations are warm and comforting. Overall, an enjoyable read!
Meadow
Mar 07, 2008 Meadow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
I have a great love of all things 'Little House' so when I saw this at the library book sale I had to have it. Hazel also loves it, and we have read this story many, many times. She is well on her way to being another Little House girl. The pictures are cute, the story is not too wordy, but not too short either.
Whole And
Jul 22, 2015 Whole And rated it liked it
A simple but joyful birthday for little Laura in the Big woods shows us what a 5th birthday must have been like. Family, hand made gifts that were sewn or whittled and yummy homemade treats. A humbling yet meaningful experience is described by Laura Inglills Wilder.
Angela
Apr 09, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: l-s-faves, children
I was thrilled when my son brought this home as his school library book pick for the week, as I am in the midst of re-reading the original series myself. We enjoyed this together and it sparked a discussion about life before TV, video games, electricity, and running water.
Bree
Apr 10, 2012 Bree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool-books
Notes:
All the books in this series are beautiful.
Great intro to pioneer life, but may not connect to preschoolers with no frame of reference.
Son read them after he first learned to read.
Excerpted from Wilder's actual books.
Giovanni
It was a good book interesting for a little book like this.
Its great for kids its half a point and i know that's a little bit of points but its good.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
picture resource of the little house on the prairie one small chapter
Pam
Jan 14, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing
Two Laura's - both with birthdays in the first week of February? We got pretty excited about that over here!
Lauren
Dec 20, 2010 Lauren rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute book!! I LOVE all of the little house books
Jodie
Jun 08, 2011 Jodie rated it really liked it
I love the illustrations in this series. It is absolutely beautifully done. The stories are smaller bits from the main series of books, and they are some of the best parts of the main books.
Judy
Jan 22, 2017 Judy rated it really liked it
Another book in the series for our shelves! The young kids really seem to enjoy these tales even though there's not much to them. Nice intro to American history.
Naomi
May 24, 2015 Naomi rated it really liked it
Love these first step books to the Little House series. In this one, Laura celebrates her fifth birthday. Very simple illustrations to compliment the story.
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2008
Bianka
Bianka rated it really liked it
May 29, 2011
Ann Dague
Ann Dague rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
Brittny
Brittny rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2009
LISA M Pappalardo
LISA M Pappalardo rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2017
Tanya
Tanya rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2012
mama
mama rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2011
Peyton
Peyton rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2012
solilyquize
solilyquize rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
  • Beethoven Lives Upstairs
  • The Horse in Harry's Room
  • The Beginner's Bible
  • Baby Brains and RoboMom
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.
More about Laura Ingalls Wilder...

My First Little House Books (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • My Little House ABC (My First Little House Books)
  • A Little Prairie House
  • My Little House 123 (My First Little House Books)
  • Hello, Laura (My First Little House Books)
  • Laura's Christmas (My First Little House Books)
  • Christmas in the Big Woods
  • Laura Helps Pa (My First Little House Books Series)
  • Laura's Little House (My First Little House Books)
  • Laura's Garden (My First Little House Books Series)
  • Summertime in the Big Woods