Start by marking “A Little House Birthday” as Want to Read:
A Little House Birthday

A Little House Birthday (My First Little House Books)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  291 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Join the Ingalls family as they celebrate little Laura’s fifth birthday in the Big Woods of Wisconsin. There are special presents from everyone, and that night Laura falls asleep to the merry music of Pa’s fiddle. Renée Graef’s enchanting full-color illustrations, inspired by Garth Williams’s classic artwork, bring Laura and her family lovingly to life in our tenth My Firs ...more
Published September 5th 1998 by HarperCollins (first published September 26th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about A Little House Birthday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little House Birthday

Lisa Carroll
I never realized that this collection of My First Little House Books existed. This is a wonderful example of historical fiction meant for younger children. The Little House series was always fascinating not only to me, but also to my Mother. We loved watching the series and reading the books when I was older. It was a pleasure to introduce something that I loved as a child to my son, who is five years old. He was fascinated with how they made bathwater and why Sundays were so quiet. By the end o ...more
Lynne
This is one of several books in a series titled "My first little house". A single episode from "Little House in the Books" is illustrated as a picture book for younger children. The stories are classic and the drawings are well done, but the books fall rather flat when they are read to real live pre-schoolers. I think the difficulty is that children who are too young for the original books are too young to have a sophisticated enough sense of time to appreciate even simple historical fiction. Wa ...more
Dolly
Aug 03, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I haven't read Little House on the Prairie to our girls yet, so I thought I would read some of the books in this series of picture books first to introduce them to the story. They enjoyed the pictures and the story is short and sweet. It's a nice story to read at bedtime. We've read this one a couple of times.
Jamie
My daughter loves this book, but I find it really frustrating that so much of it is about how awful Sundays are rather than inserting something else into the storyline. I know that that's how the original books are written, but I think it skews the perspective when half of the birthday book is about how lame Sundays are. I skipped those parts every time I read this to my daughter and was relieved when we gave it back to the library so that I wouldn't have to remember to skip the "Sundays were so ...more
Kim♥
Much to my delight, my boys who are five and two absolutely love these books! The "My First Little House" series takes stories out of the original little house books and illustrates them beautifully. My boys love to point out each family member and my five year old asks lots of questions. These books have become a wonderful way to introduce history and "the simple life" to my little ones. These books have great family values. :)
Heidi
I adore Little House. Of course. They have a special place for me. I love that they have adapted some of the stories into picture books. But this one seemed to lose a bit of the charm. It wasn't all about how special the birthday was. The Sunday bit seemed a bit odd to have in there. Maybe it was supposed to show how special her celebration was. I don't know. But it isn't quite what I was hoping for in a birthday-theme book.
Meadow
I have a great love of all things 'Little House' so when I saw this at the library book sale I had to have it. Hazel also loves it, and we have read this story many, many times. She is well on her way to being another Little House girl. The pictures are cute, the story is not too wordy, but not too short either.
Jess Michaelangelo
I adore the Little House books, and these "First Little House Books" are so charming. I can imagine that they would be a good introduction to the classic series for those readers who haven't quite made it to chapter books yet. Besides that, the illustrations are warm and comforting. Overall, an enjoyable read!
Pam
Two Laura's - both with birthdays in the first week of February? We got pretty excited about that over here!
Angela
I was thrilled when my son brought this home as his school library book pick for the week, as I am in the midst of re-reading the original series myself. We enjoyed this together and it sparked a discussion about life before TV, video games, electricity, and running water.
Bree
Notes:
All the books in this series are beautiful.
Great intro to pioneer life, but may not connect to preschoolers with no frame of reference.
Son read them after he first learned to read.
Excerpted from Wilder's actual books.
Jodie
I love the illustrations in this series. It is absolutely beautifully done. The stories are smaller bits from the main series of books, and they are some of the best parts of the main books.
Giovanni
It was a good book interesting for a little book like this.
Its great for kids its half a point and i know that's a little bit of points but its good.
Theresa
picture resource of the little house on the prairie one small chapter
Lauren
This is such a cute book!! I LOVE all of the little house books
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Christine Jones scott
Christine Jones scott marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
  • Island Boy
  • The Quilt Story
  • Dog Food
  • Woody, Hazel and Little Pip
  • Corgiville Fair
  • Ollie the Stomper
  • The Three Snow Bears
  • The Little Train (Mr. Small, #4)
  • BOB Books Set 2: Advancing Beginners
  • Never Take a Shark to the Dentist: (and Other Things Not to Do)
  • Animals in Winter: Stage 1
  • Math Fables: Lessons That Count
  • Katie and the Mona Lisa
  • Over the River and Through the Wood
  • Buzz Said the Bee (Hello Reader, Level 1) (Hello Reader)
  • "Stand Back," Said the Elephant, "I'm Going to Sneeze!"
  • The Beginner's Bible
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn to Read?
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.
More about Laura Ingalls Wilder...

My First Little House Books (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • My Little House ABC (My First Little House Books)
  • A Little Prairie House
  • My Little House 123 (My First Little House Books)
  • Hello, Laura (My First Little House Books)
  • Laura's Christmas (My First Little House Books)
  • Christmas in the Big Woods
  • Laura Helps Pa (My First Little House Books Series)
  • Laura's Little House (My First Little House Books)
  • Laura's Garden (My First Little House Books Series)
  • Summertime in the Big Woods
Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2) Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1) The Little House Collection (Little House, #1-9) On the Banks of Plum Creek  (Little House, #4) Little Town on the Prairie  (Little House, #7)