The Hound and the Falcon

The Hound and the Falcon (The Hound and the Falcon #1-3)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  448 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Alfred of St. Ruan's Abbey is a monk and a scholar, a religious man whose vocation is beyond question. But Alfred is also, without a doubt, one of the fair folk, for though he is more than seventy years old by the Abbey's records, he seems to be only a youth.

But Alfred is drawn from the haven of his monastery into his dangerous currents of politics when an ambassador from...more
Paperback, Omnibus, 688 pages
Published May 15th 1993 by Orb Books (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Hound and the Falcon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hound and the Falcon

The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Complete Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Princess Bride by William Goldman
Non-Explicit Fantasy
216th out of 242 books — 63 voters
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Wizard Tales Vol I-III by Red TashThe Mortal Instruments Boxed Set by Cassandra ClareThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
Best Wizard Ever!
18th out of 21 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa
This novel was actually three novels in one. It is comprised of The Isle of Glass, The Golden Horn, and The Hounds of God. While it was interesting, it wasn't what I've come to expect of fantasies.

The Isle of Glass
In this book we are introduced to the main characters. Thea, an elfen-like creature who has a wicked temper and a free heart. Jehan, a young boy at a monastary whose dull features belie his superior intelligence. And the main character of all, Alf, a monk who has seen many years but no...more
Joan
I first read this book about 20 years ago and fell in love with it. Tarr weaves history and fantasy into an elaborate tapestry that is fascinating and heart-wrenching. Three novels in one book and all are equally compelling. Tarr's descriptions of the Fourth Crusade and the fall of Constantinople are particularly vivid.
Julia
The Hound and the Falcon takes place in an alternate reality in which the kingdom of Rhiyana, somewhere in Europe alongside traditional countries, is inhabited by the faerie folk. The first part of this tome, The Isle of Glass, I had read as a separate work previously. The latter two books bring Alf, our protagonist, first to Constantinople during the Fourth Crusade, and then back to Rhiyana and Italy as his heritage is threatened.

This book was my nemesis for some time as it took me ages to fini...more
Jen
A long time since I pulled this book off my shelf. In actuality, it's an omnibus edition of a trilogy. Part old-fashioned fantasy, part historical fiction based around the 4th Crusade, this is the story of a man who is torn between how he was raised and what he could become.

The second book focuses on the fall of Constantinople, and is fascinating and horrible every time I read it. How easily religious crusades can be twisted....

I enjoy the author's writing, which often reminds me of Janny Wurts'...more
Crystal Carroll
It’s rare that you read a series where the main character is a saint. Filled to the brim with doubting. With faith. With dialectic thought.

Yeah, yeah, adventure, battles, witch hunts and loss.

What I love about the series is the characterization. Alf, the main character, is a foundling, an Elvin magical thing that doubts the existence of his own soul. Struggles with his faith, and thus his faith is a thing worth having.

Really, the best of all Tarr’s books. The series wanders from Richard the Lion...more
Deneir
I bought this used at the library back when I was in Junior High and it's been one of my favorite books ever since. Alfred the main character is conflicted and otherworldly yet easy to relate to and the setting is easy to immerse yourself in because of it's historical accuracy. If you like historical fiction you'll love this series and dropping elves and magic into the mix means fantasy lovers will enjoy it as well. An easy book to recommend. I've read it many times over the years and I have yet...more
Harper Kingsley
Three great books in one large edition. Follows Alfred, a monk of St. Ruan's that is pulled out into the world against his will.

A foundling, he has lived at St. Ruan's all his life. And as all his friends and peers age and become men, he stays a youth. As such, he is kept a secret of the abbey, protected from the Church and the rest of the world.

A beautifully written set of historical novels featuring kings and intrigues and knights and ladies and monks. It just happens to surround an idea of el...more
Amanda
I don't generally like alternate history, but this book is great. It pulls you in and keeps you there. The characters are solid and believable and you really feel for them at all the right moments.
Cheena
I read this book a few years ago and i loved it alot! It is filled with magic I think the main charter Alf is the best,he goes through believing he is some evil creature with out a soul shelterd in an abby to meeting a girl who shows him who he really is and to live life without beating himself up for what he is.
Shannon
One of my all time favorite books. The characters are engrossing, and I fall in love with all of them every time I read it. There is nothing more satisfying than an awesome trilogy, all contained in one edition. I have read it more times than I can count.
Emmithar
Started out good but tapered off towards the end, characters seemed to change and grow with little reason, or rhyme. Characters you fell in love with weren't the same by the end of the book, and it didn't make much sense. Strong plot lines however.
Gina
Finished reading the first book in this series: The Isle of Glass. I loved the surprising mix of knights and crusades with the magic of the elves. Loved the characters. This series was recommended by @ElioandLinda of westeros.org Outstanding!
Allison
Found a few Tarr's while boating around the san guans, but this particular book I got from Dad's library he left at 406. I don't think he ever read it-but it is a fantastic adventure, turned me on to Tarr who is now a favorite
Jenn
Feb 05, 2008 Jenn marked it as to-read
Even though my sister tells me she read this because she saw it in a stack of books in my car, I haven't read it and don't remember ever holding it in my hand. I'm going to have to remedy that, out of curiosity at least.
Denise
One of my all time favorite books...actually 3 novels in one book (follows a time line).
Kolan
Great Omnibus edition of the Hounds of God, The Golden Tor and The Isle of Glass
R
May 16, 2011 R rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
I can't remember all the details...maybe time to read it again.
Kathleen
Very interesting trilogy -- history combined with fantasy.
Emily Jackson
Pretty deep read. Good character dynamics.
Eileen
Have read this a couple times. It fascinates me.
Denise Delvis
Denise Delvis is currently reading it
Sep 21, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Zappster
Zappster marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Dale Donovan
Dale Donovan marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Bryce
Bryce is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2014
Patsy Collins
Patsy Collins marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
  • The Books of Great Alta  (Great Alta, #1-2)
  • The Lords of Darkness (Flat Earth, #1-3)
  • The Grey Horse
  • Goblin Moon
  • Blackmantle
  • The Magic Cup
  • The Quest for Saint Camber (The Histories of King Kelson, #3)
  • Kingdom of Summer
  • Child of Thunder (Renshai Trilogy, #3)
  • The Door Into Fire (The Tale of the Five, #1)
  • Hunter's Death (The Sacred Hunt, #2)
  • Dark of the Moon
  • The Walls of Air (Darwath, #2)
  • The Horse Goddess
  • Unicorn Variations
AKA Caitlin Brennan, Kathleen Bryan.

Judith Tarr (born 1955) is an American author, best known for her fantasy books. She received her B.A. in Latin and English from Mount Holyoke College in 1976, and has an M.A. in Classics from Cambridge University, and an M.A. and Ph.D. in Medieval Studies from Yale University. She taught Latin and writing at Wesleyan University from 1988-1992, and taught at the...more
More about Judith Tarr...
Household Gods The Isle of Glass (The Hound and the Falcon, #1) Alamut (Alamut, #1) King and Goddess The Golden Horn (The Hound and the Falcon, #2)