Start by marking “The Hound and the Falcon (The Hound and the Falcon, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Hound and the Falcon (The Hound and the Falcon, #1-3)

The Hound and the Falcon (The Hound and the Falcon #1-3)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  536 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Alfred of St. Ruan's Abbey is a monk and a scholar, a religious man whose vocation is beyond question. But Alfred is also, without a doubt, one of the fair folk, for though he is more than seventy years old by the Abbey's records, he seems to be only a youth.

But Alfred is drawn from the haven of his monastery into his dangerous currents of politics when an ambassador from
Published May 15th 1993 by Orb Books (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Hound and the Falcon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hound and the Falcon

Cathy (cathepsut)
I spent my formative years binge-reading fantasy. I loved this trilogy and re-read it countless times. I especially loved the parts set in Constantinople. No idea, if I would still like these books today, but back then and for many years this trilogy was on of my favourites.
Joan
Apr 24, 2013 Joan rated it it was amazing
I first read this book about 20 years ago and fell in love with it. Tarr weaves history and fantasy into an elaborate tapestry that is fascinating and heart-wrenching. Three novels in one book and all are equally compelling. Tarr's descriptions of the Fourth Crusade and the fall of Constantinople are particularly vivid.
Shannon
Feb 17, 2013 Shannon rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite books. The characters are engrossing, and I fall in love with all of them every time I read it. There is nothing more satisfying than an awesome trilogy, all contained in one edition. I have read it more times than I can count.
Colleen
Jul 17, 2015 Colleen rated it really liked it
The more I read, the more I'm convinced that I most enjoy alt history books with the "quarter-turn" to the fantastic, as they say of Guy Gavriel Kay. Judith Tarr compares favorably with Kay, and may be one of my favorite authors who've worked in this subgenre.

In fact, I was delighted to find this was an omnibus of a trilogy, comprising The Isle of Glass, The Golden Horn, and The Hounds of God. More Tarr to enjoy!

I enjoyed the novels roughly in the order they were presented. I was most intereste
Melissa
Jan 26, 2011 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This novel was actually three novels in one. It is comprised of The Isle of Glass, The Golden Horn, and The Hounds of God. While it was interesting, it wasn't what I've come to expect of fantasies.

The Isle of Glass
In this book we are introduced to the main characters. Thea, an elfen-like creature who has a wicked temper and a free heart. Jehan, a young boy at a monastary whose dull features belie his superior intelligence. And the main character of all, Alf, a monk who has seen many years but no
Jen
Jan 15, 2013 Jen rated it it was amazing
A long time since I pulled this book off my shelf. In actuality, it's an omnibus edition of a trilogy. Part old-fashioned fantasy, part historical fiction based around the 4th Crusade, this is the story of a man who is torn between how he was raised and what he could become.

The second book focuses on the fall of Constantinople, and is fascinating and horrible every time I read it. How easily religious crusades can be twisted....

I enjoy the author's writing, which often reminds me of Janny Wurts'
Deneir
Apr 13, 2013 Deneir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this used at the library back when I was in Junior High and it's been one of my favorite books ever since. Alfred the main character is conflicted and otherworldly yet easy to relate to and the setting is easy to immerse yourself in because of it's historical accuracy. If you like historical fiction you'll love this series and dropping elves and magic into the mix means fantasy lovers will enjoy it as well. An easy book to recommend. I've read it many times over the years and I have yet ...more
Tony Calder
Dec 29, 2015 Tony Calder rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I have finished the first book of the trilogy - The Isle of Glass. As other reviews have mentioned, there are strong similarities between this and Katherine Kurtz's Deryni series, largely because both have a fantasy world with a primarily Christian mythology. In this way it is also similar to Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions, a particular favourite of mine. There were quite a few fantasy books written in the 70s and 80s that would fall into this category.

Now finished the second book
Julia
Jan 11, 2014 Julia rated it it was ok
The Hound and the Falcon takes place in an alternate reality in which the kingdom of Rhiyana, somewhere in Europe alongside traditional countries, is inhabited by the faerie folk. The first part of this tome, The Isle of Glass, I had read as a separate work previously. The latter two books bring Alf, our protagonist, first to Constantinople during the Fourth Crusade, and then back to Rhiyana and Italy as his heritage is threatened.

This book was my nemesis for some time as it took me ages to fini
Sep 28, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
This is a "nurture versus nature" tale, with some (okay, a lot of) historical fiction thrown in. I can see how some could find it a bit dry, but if you can handle detail, it's a lovely read.
Crystal Carroll
Aug 12, 2012 Crystal Carroll rated it liked it
It’s rare that you read a series where the main character is a saint. Filled to the brim with doubting. With faith. With dialectic thought.

Yeah, yeah, adventure, battles, witch hunts and loss.

What I love about the series is the characterization. Alf, the main character, is a foundling, an Elvin magical thing that doubts the existence of his own soul. Struggles with his faith, and thus his faith is a thing worth having.

Really, the best of all Tarr’s books. The series wanders from Richard the Lion
Tobias
Feb 14, 2016 Tobias rated it it was amazing
Excellent fantasy, mixing magical aspects into world history around the times of Richard Lionheart and the Fourth Crusade.
Harper Kingsley
Jun 17, 2011 Harper Kingsley rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Three great books in one large edition. Follows Alfred, a monk of St. Ruan's that is pulled out into the world against his will.

A foundling, he has lived at St. Ruan's all his life. And as all his friends and peers age and become men, he stays a youth. As such, he is kept a secret of the abbey, protected from the Church and the rest of the world.

A beautifully written set of historical novels featuring kings and intrigues and knights and ladies and monks. It just happens to surround an idea of el
Cheena
May 12, 2011 Cheena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read this book a few years ago and i loved it alot! It is filled with magic I think the main charter Alf is the best,he goes through believing he is some evil creature with out a soul shelterd in an abby to meeting a girl who shows him who he really is and to live life without beating himself up for what he is.
Emmithar
Started out good but tapered off towards the end, characters seemed to change and grow with little reason, or rhyme. Characters you fell in love with weren't the same by the end of the book, and it didn't make much sense. Strong plot lines however.
Gina
Jun 05, 2012 Gina rated it really liked it
Finished reading the first book in this series: The Isle of Glass. I loved the surprising mix of knights and crusades with the magic of the elves. Loved the characters. This series was recommended by @ElioandLinda of westeros.org Outstanding!
Allison
Jul 12, 2010 Allison rated it it was amazing
Found a few Tarr's while boating around the san guans, but this particular book I got from Dad's library he left at 406. I don't think he ever read it-but it is a fantastic adventure, turned me on to Tarr who is now a favorite
Jenn
Feb 05, 2008 Jenn marked it as to-read
Even though my sister tells me she read this because she saw it in a stack of books in my car, I haven't read it and don't remember ever holding it in my hand. I'm going to have to remedy that, out of curiosity at least.
Denise
Oct 30, 2009 Denise rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite books...actually 3 novels in one book (follows a time line).
Kolan
May 08, 2012 Kolan rated it it was amazing
Great Omnibus edition of the Hounds of God, The Golden Tor and The Isle of Glass
R
May 16, 2011 R rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I can't remember all the details...maybe time to read it again.
Kathleen
Feb 04, 2008 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Very interesting trilogy -- history combined with fantasy.
Emily Jackson
Mar 03, 2010 Emily Jackson rated it really liked it
Pretty deep read. Good character dynamics.
Eileen
Jul 26, 2010 Eileen rated it it was amazing
Have read this a couple times. It fascinates me.
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Alana Bleness
Alana Bleness marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Ali Jones
Ali Jones marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Charlsey Fawkes
Charlsey Fawkes rated it it was ok
Jun 23, 2016
Brad Morrow
Brad Morrow rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
  • The Books of Great Alta  (Great Alta, #1-2)
  • Darkmage (Windrose Chronicles, #1-2)
  • Lammas Night
  • Goblin Moon
  • The Horse Goddess
  • A Trio for Lute
  • Kingdom of Summer
  • The Magic Cup
  • The Door Into Fire (The Tale of the Five, #1)
  • Imperial Lady
  • The Lady in the Loch
  • Harbinger of the Storm (Obsidian and Blood, #2)
  • The Goblin Mirror
  • Unicorn and Dragon (Unicorn and Dragon, #1)
  • The Devil's Game
  • Rhinegold
  • The Lords of Darkness (Flat Earth, #1-3)
  • The Bone Polisher (Simeon Grist Mystery, #6)
AKA Caitlin Brennan, Kathleen Bryan.

Judith Tarr (born 1955) is an American author, best known for her fantasy books. She received her B.A. in Latin and English from Mount Holyoke College in 1976, and has an M.A. in Classics from Cambridge University, and an M.A. and Ph.D. in Medieval Studies from Yale University. She taught Latin and writing at Wesleyan University from 1988-1992, and taught at the
More about Judith Tarr...

The Hound and the Falcon (3 books)
  • The Isle of Glass (The Hound and the Falcon, #1)
  • The Golden Horn (The Hound and the Falcon, #2)
  • The Hounds of God (The Hound and the Falcon, #3)