Start by marking “Zachodnia kraina” as Want to Read:
Zachodnia kraina

Zachodnia kraina (The Red Night Trilogy #3)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,431 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Burroughs's eagerly awaited final novel in the trilogy begun with Cities of the Red Night and The Place of Dead Roads is a profound, revealing, and often astonishing meditation on mortality, loneliness, nuclear peril, and the inextinguishable hope for life after death.
Published 2009 by Świat Książki (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Zachodnia kraina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zachodnia kraina

Arthur Graham
The Western Lands wraps up the Red Night trilogy with a more involved look at the pilgrimage thereto, intercut with crosscurrents from the Egyptian Book of the Dead and remembrances from the author’s own life, the mass of which merges into a hallucinogenic exploration of the potentialities inherent in our concept of the great beyond. Part memoir, part attempt to provide closure to the impossibly sprawling mythology he’s created, this book feels doubly relevant as we watch the story and W.S.B. hi ...more
William S. Burroughs is one of my visionary writers. That means I believe he did something like what the prophets did at one time. They saw and wrote things that were not entirely comprehensible, but those writings reveal things about life and were usually a critique of society. Other writers I consider to be in this category are Plato, William Blake, John Milton, Arthur Schopenhauer, Henry David Thoreau, J.R.R. Tolkien, Jean-Paul Sartre, and Philip K. Dick.

(view spoiler)
More of a memoir than the final book of a trilogy. After reading The Place of Dead Roads and Cities of the Red Night I was slavering for the end of the series. From colonial privateerism, to manifest-destiny cowboys, this imagined sexual mystic outlaw history of the nationalistic push "west" or "out" and the counter-push "in" and against one's society would have a fascinating conclusion in the Egyptian struggle for immortality.

This book seriously lacks the kinetic intensity of its predecessors
James Newman
As with all of Burroughs work there are so many themes that could be expanded on and made into separate novels - if only the author lived to complete all his ideas.... The Western lands scatters across all of the author's interests, ancient Egypt, time travel, Arabian assassins, weapons, erotic imagery, medical manipulations... If I were to choose one theme, one novel, possibly extracted from this, his last major work, then it would be a novel based on the expedition to capture the giant centipe ...more
Sheer genius.
As other reviewers have pointed out, the conclusion to the trilogy is not as sex-charged as the other novels. This is a real masterpiece. The narrative structure uses a blend of Egyptian mythology (Book of the Dead) and the craziness of a not-too-far-off world. Well, let's not hope not. So in this sense, I couldn't help but feel that Burroughs is writing this as a kind of warning.
I absolutely loved Cities of the Red Night and thought to myself at the time, 'There is no way Burroug
Perry Whitford
"The road to the Western Lands is by definition the most dangerous road in the world, for it is a journey beyond Death..."

In the world according to William Burroughs, even the afterlife is subject to governmental control. Just as the pharaohs attempted to monopolize immortality, so do our present day leaders, through petty, everyday controls and restrictions all the up to the deployment of the ultimate soul destroyer - the atom bomb.
Fighting the system is Margaras, the White Cat: a fearsome spi
This is a beautiful book. Burroughs is much calmer here than in his famed Nova trilogy which actually makes his satire even sharper as he himself seems to be coming from a more stable position in his own life. Now he's more comfortable to transition into more straight forward digressions on mortality and Egyptian mythology musings. Not for everyone of course (being Burroughs, there are of course multiple sections with bizarrely graphic sexual violence and perhaps more information on centipede ve ...more
Overall I'd say this is one of the authors more accessible and entertaining works,and while still retaining an air of abstraction,temporal distortion and general twistedness it is markedly more coherent than his earlier fiction.The cut and paste technique along with copious amounts of gay sex and drug use are absent.
The themes dealt with include;Egyptian mythology,centipede worship,vampirism and toxicology.This is interspersed with stream of consciousness and dream recall writing that help to
The final volume of Burroughs' final trilogy is a rumination on death, mortality and immortality, morality and ethics, and freedom. The western lands of the title comes from Egyptian mythology, but as with the previous book, The Place of Dead Roads: A Novel, there is a lot of the American west here, as well. Burroughs is concerned with the journey, migration, movement, not content to sit still, and not satisfied with a heaven that can be achieved without struggle.
Razvan Zamfirescu
Tărîmurile Vestice este volumul care încheie trilogia Cut up. Aparuta în 1987, cartea este scrisă de un Burroughs bătrîn, “ajuns la capătul cuvintelor, a ceea ce se poate face din cuvinte”. Romanul este considerat testamentul lui Burroughs ceea ce nu este departe de adevăr, deoarece în aceste pagini poate fi aflat un Burroughs agonizînd, un Burroughs care încearcă să împace cu ajutorul cuvintelor îmbătrînirea cărnii şi toate durerile fizice si psihice cumulate pînă la această vîrstă.

Este cel mai
Bill Burroughs exercises the aging writer's motif of confronting one's mortality here, using his Cities of the Red Night and Ancient Egyptian polytheism as a vehicle. He's still out to euthanize bigots and the ilk, but less pointedly. Rather, this is more of an autobiography that takes significant license with the medium. An enjoyable experiment.

Thing is, whenever I read Burroughs, I can't help but hear his broken voice in that offbeat pace, and it scares the bejesus outta me.
Del Herman
William S. Burroughs is the type of writer that can write the same thing again and again but present it to you in a way that is so indescribably unique and compelling that you can't help being sucked in. All of his books concentrate on death, occultist concepts, and what he is perhaps best known for: sex and drugs. Yet each book of his comes off without the slightest trace of repetitiveness, each survives as their own entity, amazing in its own sort of way.

The Western Lands is a book that sank i
His most beautiful/eloquent prose and a great ending to the late trilogy
If you enjoy books with purpose, don't waste your time.
Burroughs' 70-year old, incoherent rambling.
Okay, I admit it - I read this series in the wrong order. The Western Lands is the final book in Burroughs' notorious 'Red Night' trilogy, and yet it's the first Burroughs novel that I read. It's typical of the majority of his work - difficult to read, but even more difficult to put down, with a rambling, disjointed narrative that's probably partly down to his experiments with morphine.

Interestingly enough, the novel is heavily influenced by Ancient Egyptian mythology - in particular, the legend
This was a re-read of this novella, and I am glad for having done so. There is, as always, a thread which underpins most of Burroughs' works. The control idea and the idea that there is a cabal of the wealthy and powerful who are working not at all in the best interest of the rest of us are both in this work.
There is a section where Burroughs is propounding the age old concept of the journey to the Western Lands as being a quest for immortality. In this section he says,

*"How long does it take a
"Mi primera lectura de este libro fue a los 16 años, y de vez en vez se ha repetido. La penúltima s...more Mi primera lectura de este libro fue a los 16 años, y de vez en vez se ha repetido. La penúltima sucedió antes del año 2000 y ahora he vuelto a releerlo.

Siempre he considerado que este fue el primer libro de literatura dura al que tuve acceso.

En esta nueva visita he encontrado un texto quintaesencial, testamentario. No es un producto de madurez, sino de conciencia lúcida hacia la muerte.

George Ilsley
Burroughs wrote a number of similar book: Cities of the Red Night, etc. Only later were they presented as part of a series. The Western Lands of one of WSB's best, and represents a type of culmination and distillation.
Quite possibly my favorite book of this trilogy. Burroughs has never shied away from attacking organized religion, and he does so more than ever here. Structurally, the book reminded me of Naked Lunch.
Emer Bruce
Check out the music track - Western Lands by Material.
Very funny in the early going but becomes less so as it goes along. One would think a man of Burroughs' intelligence
would have reconciled to the extinction that is death. Still his treatment of the Egyptian Book of the Dead is interesting and entertaining.Ran on a little too long I thought.
The last of, & my least favorite of the Western Trilogy (does anybody other than me call it that? I think so.. but it's been a long time since I've thought about it one way or t'other). I just remember this one as a bit feeble, running out of ideas, reiterating (kindof like these weak capsule reviews of mine but better!). Writers writing themselves into immortality.
A brilliant novel, doesn't quite resonate with me the same way that Place of Dead Roads did, but a great collection of utterances from the mad genius on his quest for immortality, a phenomena he has conceivably achieved.
With his later works, the more you read them, the better they get.
Whit Hodges
best read on your deathbed, or some similar mattress. somehow (with a drug cocktail) i cracked the code, once, and even if you don't it's an amazing book. anyone who doesn't respect burroughs, at least this book and the other two in the trilogy, is a piece of envious dogshit.
Daniel Burton-Rose
Burroughs is undeniably an original, but within his own oeuvre he's relentlessly redundant. Genocidal fantasies punctuated by raunchy gay sex; rants against dogs and encomiums to cats; pedantic gun fetishism...: this novel is more of the same.
Daniel Coffeen
The perfect book: as wise as it is wise assy, downright hilarious. WSB's timing got so much better as he got older; this is certainly his best book and a viable handbook to the after life. Methinks it the very best book I've ever read.
James Coon
Excellent tale with much useful insight that changed my life: "Desperation is the raw material of drastic change." and "Get out now before this s***house blows." are just the beginning.
Ed Smiley
I think this is perhaps Burrough's most successful work, outside Naked Lunch and the cutup trilogy.
Not for those faint of heart or inclined to more cautious literary fare.
Nov 02, 2007 Nick rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: the-beats
The best of Burroughs books. Wicked and beautiful. Probably my favorite book of all time. Can be difficult the first time through. Stick with it, I promise you it is worth it.
  • Literary Outlaw: The Life and Times of William S. Burroughs
  • Funeral Rites
  • The Happy Birthday of Death
  • Rubicon Beach
  • The Atrocity Exhibition
William Seward Burroughs II, (also known by his pen name William Lee; February 5, 1914 – August 2, 1997) was an American novelist, short story writer, essayist, painter, and spoken word performer. A primary figure of the Beat Generation and a major postmodernist author, he is considered to be "one of the most politically trenchant, culturally influential, and innovative artists of the 20th century ...more
More about William S. Burroughs...

The Red Night Trilogy (3 books)
  • Cities of the Red Night
  • The Place of Dead Roads

“Knowing you might not make it... in that knowledge courage is born.” 93 likes
“danger is a biologic necessity, like dreams. if you face death, for that time, for the period of
direct confrontation, you are immortal.”