Start by marking “Peeler” as Want to Read:
Peeler

Peeler (Sean O'Keefe #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  11 reviews
West Cork. November 1920. The Irish War of Independence rages. The body of a young woman is found brutally murdered on a windswept hillside. A scrap board sign covering her mutilated body reads 'TRATOR'. Traitor. Acting Sergeant Sean O'Keefe of the Royal Irish Constabulary, a wounded veteran of the Great War, is assigned to investigate the crime, aided by sinister detectiv ...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Mercier Press

To ask other readers questions about Peeler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peeler

Eric_W
The book takes place shortly after WW I. Tensions between the Army, IRA, and local cops are horrible, with each shooting the other almost at will. Going out after curfew risks being shot by either side.

Peeler is the derogatory word for policeman in Ireland. The book begins in 1920 with the discovery of a woman's body splayed out on the side of a hill, naked and tarred and feathered with the word "Trator" [sic] written on a plank on her chest. Being a policeman (RIC for Royal Irish Constabulary)
Cphe
I thought this book was excellent. Not only as a mystery, but it also managed to bring a time in Ireland's troubled history, the War of Independence, to life on the page.

The story opens with the discovery of a young woman's mutilated body on a lonely hillside outside of Cork. The body has been tarred and feathered and a sign "trator" has been placed around her neck.

Sergeant Sean O'Keefe is a "Peeler" in the Royal Irish Constabulary in 1920. He is also a survivor of the Great War, although he was
Rob Kitchin
There is much to like about Peeler. It’s well researched, with a great deal of attention to historical accuracy and recreating the social and political landscape of County Cork in 1920, and it’s well written with a decent plot and good characterization. Sean O’Keefe, in particular, is a well drawn and complex character caught as he is between two worlds. Indeed, I hope McCarthy has another O’Keefe book in the works as he’s somebody I’d like to spend a bit more time discovering. Another strength ...more
D.J. Kelly
Remarkably, I could find only 2 historical crime novels set in the era of the Irish War of Independence. David Lawlor's 'Tan' (in kindle format only thus far) is also a great read. 'Running with Crows - The Life and Death of a Black and Tan' by DJ Kelly is due out end of March 2013 however. I went looking for some fiction set in this period, which was pivotal in terms of Anglo-Irish history, hoping to find more, not least because we are now embarking upon a decade of centenaries for the 'Irish R ...more
Barbpie
set over the course of a week in 1920s Ireland, this thriller really sucked me in. Acting sergeant Sean O'Keefe served Britain in World War 1, and is now a "peeler" or policeman back in Ireland. However, he and his colleagues are caught between the Irish Republican Army and their masters in the British government. It sounds complicated and it is--no one is safe, and solving the murder uncovered on the first page of the book is impossible without risking life and limb in the process. But O'Keefe ...more
Andrew Parnell
Set in 1920 in the middle of the Irish war of independence, and soon after the first world war. This book is more than a crime drama, it weaves the pain and suffering of the Irish people with the recent scars of the great war into a remarkable work of fiction.
Giovanna
You learn quite a lot from this book about Ireland and in particular a dramatic chapter of that country's history. It also provides an insight into the psyche of the Irish people in the 1920's. The prose is not dense and moves quickly along yet the book is full of detail revealing the author to be a good researcher as well as a good writer.

What I enjoyed most about this book is that, with compassionate irony, the author explores that dark side of humanity that war represents.

Above all, this is
Lee Holz
Peeler crosses a number of genres to create an engrossing story. Its background is a well-researched historical account of 1920 Ireland and the war of rebellion that ultimately secured the country’s freedom. It’s an exciting action thriller detailing some of the fighting of that war. Above all, it’s a well-plotted, well-executed police procedural of murder and corruption.
Yuki
Apr 06, 2011 Yuki marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Mark, Kelly.. JETs
Recommended to Yuki by: Matthew Thomas
This has nothing to do with the book, but I met Kevin while we were teaching English on the JET Program in Japan 20 years ago! It's amazing to know he stayed in Ireland (he's American) and has become an author. I remember he was, verbally at least, a fantastic storyteller. Can't wait to check this out!

Judith
Peeler is an historical police procedural set in 1920's Ireland. It was a good read with plenty of twists and turns, accurate history and a little too long at the end. Other than that I enjoyed the book.
David
One of the only books I have ever come across that is set in Ireland during the War of Independence
Linda Lowell
Linda Lowell marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Claire
Claire added it
Sep 02, 2014
Lemar
Lemar marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Vivian Peelo
Vivian Peelo marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Suzy Platt
Suzy Platt marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Sam
Sam added it
Jul 19, 2014
Chuck
Chuck marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Elle
Elle added it
Jun 24, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Neeltje
Neeltje marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Gayle Noble
Gayle Noble marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
  • Down These Green Streets: Irish Crime Writing in the 21st Century
  • The Seduction of Mary Kelly
  • My Lady Judge (Burren Mysteries, #1)
  • Winterland
  • Scare Me
  • A Madras Miasma
  • Ratlines
  • The City of Strangers (Stefan Gillespie, #2)
  • The Doll's House
  • The Death of an Irish Politician (Peter McGarr, #1)
  • The Nameless Dead (Inspector Devlin, #5)
  • The Midnight Choir
  • The Priest
  • I say Who What and Where
  • Cumoro (The Chronicles of Guiamo Durmius Stolo, #2)
  • In the Morning I'll be Gone
  • Darkhouse
  • Ben Barka Lane
Kevin McCarthy is the author of Peeler (Mercier, 2010), an historical crime novel set during the War of Independence in Ireland. His short fiction has appeared in many journals both in print and on the web and his story, Twenty-five and Out, appears in Down These Green Streets: Irish Crime Writing in the 21st Century (Liberties, 2011). He was born in Suffolk, UK, where his father was stationed wit ...more
More about Kevin McCarthy...
They're Here... Invasion of the Body Snatchers Irregulars: A Sean O'Keefe Novel Florida Stories Nine Florida Stories by Marjory Stoneman Douglas Epoch