Start by marking “Peeler” as Want to Read:
Peeler

Peeler (Sean O'Keefe #1)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  12 reviews
West Cork. November 1920. The Irish War of Independence rages. The body of a young woman is found brutally murdered on a windswept hillside. A scrap board sign covering her mutilated body reads 'TRATOR'. Traitor. Acting Sergeant Sean O'Keefe of the Royal Irish Constabulary, a wounded veteran of the Great War, is assigned to investigate the crime, aided by sinister detectiv ...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Mercier Press

To ask other readers questions about Peeler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peeler

Eric_W
The book takes place shortly after WW I. Tensions between the Army, IRA, and local cops are horrible, with each shooting the other almost at will. Going out after curfew risks being shot by either side.

Peeler is the derogatory word for policeman in Ireland. The book begins in 1920 with the discovery of a woman's body splayed out on the side of a hill, naked and tarred and feathered with the word "Trator" [sic] written on a plank on her chest. Being a policeman (RIC for Royal Irish Constabulary)
Cphe
I thought this book was excellent. Not only as a mystery, but it also managed to bring a time in Ireland's troubled history, the War of Independence, to life on the page.

The story opens with the discovery of a young woman's mutilated body on a lonely hillside outside of Cork. The body has been tarred and feathered and a sign "trator" has been placed around her neck.

Sergeant Sean O'Keefe is a "Peeler" in the Royal Irish Constabulary in 1920. He is also a survivor of the Great War, although he was
Rob Kitchin
There is much to like about Peeler. It’s well researched, with a great deal of attention to historical accuracy and recreating the social and political landscape of County Cork in 1920, and it’s well written with a decent plot and good characterization. Sean O’Keefe, in particular, is a well drawn and complex character caught as he is between two worlds. Indeed, I hope McCarthy has another O’Keefe book in the works as he’s somebody I’d like to spend a bit more time discovering. Another strength ...more
D.J. Kelly
Remarkably, I could find only 2 historical crime novels set in the era of the Irish War of Independence. David Lawlor's 'Tan' (in kindle format only thus far) is also a great read. 'Running with Crows - The Life and Death of a Black and Tan' by DJ Kelly is due out end of March 2013 however. I went looking for some fiction set in this period, which was pivotal in terms of Anglo-Irish history, hoping to find more, not least because we are now embarking upon a decade of centenaries for the 'Irish R ...more
Gary Allen
Not having much of a background in the history of Ireland this proved to be a good primer for the times of 'the troubles' wrapped in a well written mystery. It is dark but then so were the times so it is all fitting. I have traveled to parts of Ireland and reading this book took me back.
Barbpie
set over the course of a week in 1920s Ireland, this thriller really sucked me in. Acting sergeant Sean O'Keefe served Britain in World War 1, and is now a "peeler" or policeman back in Ireland. However, he and his colleagues are caught between the Irish Republican Army and their masters in the British government. It sounds complicated and it is--no one is safe, and solving the murder uncovered on the first page of the book is impossible without risking life and limb in the process. But O'Keefe ...more
Andrew Parnell
Set in 1920 in the middle of the Irish war of independence, and soon after the first world war. This book is more than a crime drama, it weaves the pain and suffering of the Irish people with the recent scars of the great war into a remarkable work of fiction.
Giovanna
You learn quite a lot from this book about Ireland and in particular a dramatic chapter of that country's history. It also provides an insight into the psyche of the Irish people in the 1920's. The prose is not dense and moves quickly along yet the book is full of detail revealing the author to be a good researcher as well as a good writer.

What I enjoyed most about this book is that, with compassionate irony, the author explores that dark side of humanity that war represents.

Above all, this is
Lee Holz
Peeler crosses a number of genres to create an engrossing story. Its background is a well-researched historical account of 1920 Ireland and the war of rebellion that ultimately secured the country’s freedom. It’s an exciting action thriller detailing some of the fighting of that war. Above all, it’s a well-plotted, well-executed police procedural of murder and corruption.
Yuki
Apr 06, 2011 Yuki marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Mark, Kelly.. JETs
Recommended to Yuki by: Matthew Thomas
This has nothing to do with the book, but I met Kevin while we were teaching English on the JET Program in Japan 20 years ago! It's amazing to know he stayed in Ireland (he's American) and has become an author. I remember he was, verbally at least, a fantastic storyteller. Can't wait to check this out!

Judith
Peeler is an historical police procedural set in 1920's Ireland. It was a good read with plenty of twists and turns, accurate history and a little too long at the end. Other than that I enjoyed the book.
David
One of the only books I have ever come across that is set in Ireland during the War of Independence
Molly Schwanz
Molly Schwanz marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Amber Martin
Amber Martin marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Tony Richardson
Tony Richardson marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Lisa Anderson diaz
Lisa Anderson diaz is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2015
David Clarke Jr
David Clarke Jr marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Linda Lowell
Linda Lowell marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
  • Down These Green Streets: Irish Crime Writing in the 21st Century
  • The Nameless Dead (Inspector Devlin, #5)
  • My Lady Judge (Burren Mysteries, #1)
  • The City of Strangers (Stefan Gillespie, #2)
  • The Death of an Irish Politician (Peter McGarr, #1)
  • Ratlines
  • The Priest
  • The Lost (Paula McGuire, #1)
  • The Doll's House
  • In the Morning I'll be Gone
  • The Seduction of Mary Kelly
  • Everybody Matters: My Life Giving Voice
  • Ben Barka Lane
  • Darkhouse
  • Winterland
  • The Old School
  • The Nightmare (Mary Wollstonecraft, #2)
  • Strumpet City
Kevin McCarthy is the author of Peeler (Mercier, 2010), an historical crime novel set during the War of Independence in Ireland. His short fiction has appeared in many journals both in print and on the web and his story, Twenty-five and Out, appears in Down These Green Streets: Irish Crime Writing in the 21st Century (Liberties, 2011). He was born in Suffolk, UK, where his father was stationed wit ...more
More about Kevin McCarthy...

Sean O'Keefe (2 books)
  • Irregulars: A Sean O'Keefe Novel
They're Here... Invasion of the Body Snatchers Irregulars: A Sean O'Keefe Novel Nine Florida Stories by Marjory Stoneman Douglas Florida Stories Epoch