Start by marking “My Legendary Girlfriend” as Want to Read:
My Legendary Girlfriend

My Legendary Girlfriend

3.39  ·  Rating Details ·  1,991 Ratings  ·  161 Reviews
Bridget Jones meets High Fidelity in this hilarious story for anyone who has ever been dumped, had to dump, lived in dodgy rented accommodation, or search for love in the 90s.
Published February 4th 1999 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about My Legendary Girlfriend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Legendary Girlfriend

Gina
Mar 07, 2009 Gina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Every time someone out there buys a Mike Gayle book, another little bit of me dies.

You know I feel far, far more satisfaction in writing about books I thought were awful that were good. And tonight I remembered that woeful book by Mike Gayle 'My Legendary Girlfriend'. Also this is to warn others. It's so bad you will want to pan fry your eyes in garlic butter and feed them to Michael Winner.

I think that's a very important to know the risks when reading this sort of bile. People need to be protec
Mags
Oct 02, 2010 Mags rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who just came from a break-up and needs some promise and sympathy
Kiera
Mar 21, 2008 Kiera rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awful
a book not to accidentally read twice.
Brian
Feb 18, 2010 Brian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I wanted to not really say anything about this book since I thought it was so horrible and I don't really like to say anything too pessimistic...but this novel bugged me so much that after all this time I just felt compelled to write about it.
I was kind of going through a slump of bad books lately. Not horrible, just not finding anything entertaining and feeling like I was kind of slogging through the thing just to finish it. But My Legendary Girlfriend tops them all off!
The writing w
Steven Scaffardi
Aug 05, 2011 Steven Scaffardi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lad-lit
I never would have found Mike Gayle had it not been for my flatmate insisting I read one of his books. I have to admit I wasn't too sure at first. The blurb read a bit too much like chick lit novel for my liking. I'm a man, and I like manly things dammit! Luckily I got past my silly male ego and embraced my metrosexuality, and a good few years later and I'm one of Mike Gayle's biggest fans. My Legendary Girlfriend was Gayle's first novel, having spent time as a journalist and features writer. Th ...more
Carri
Dec 10, 2013 Carri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
I sort of loved this. At first i was all like, "oh I am gonna love this". Then I started reading and it starts out sooooo slow that I thought "oh no I am gonna hate this". At one point I thought that i might not finish but I am really glad that I stuck it out. It got better. It got great! LOL! I was totally blown away by the end, I totally thought it was going one way until like 4 pages left it the book, then he totally flipped it on me. I loved that. I was surprised. I actually had to go back a ...more
Kricket
Oct 12, 2007 Kricket rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007, britain
I found this in the teen room at the library. I'm thinking that it was an accidental purchase, since it's definitely geared to an adult audience, but when you read the blurb on the back it could really go either way. It's just when you get into the story-- ugh. If one of my male friends was behaving the way the main character was, I'd have encouraged him to seek psychiatric help rather than dating/marrying him. Will was not lovable. Will drove me nuts. Ick ick icky.
Nathan
Jan 19, 2012 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one struck a chord with me, and I really liked it. Heartbroken man mopes around his flat for a weekend and talks on the phone a lot. That's about it, structure wise. Nothing deeply profound, and it invoked more wry smiles than belly laughs, but a nice little story nonetheless. Fans of Star Wars and of Gregory's Girl would probably like this. 3.5/5
Juliana Graham
A strange one this. I've had this book on my bookcase since around 2004 when it first came out. I read it then and I LOVED it. It was one of my favourite books EVER. I used to recommend it to people, lend it to people and generally sing its praises.

Maybe I identified with the 20 something lead character who was a fairly mediocre teacher wishing to be something else, pining over the love of his life who had cruelly dumped him and generally muddling along waiting for something exciting to happen.
Kristi
Sep 03, 2013 Kristi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've mostly stopped reading chick lit books because I'm about 10 years out of their demographic range and the older I get, the more immature and whiny the protagonists seem. That said, this looked promising, so I gave it a go. While Will is every bit the whiny, melodramatic 20-something you'd expect, he also has enough heart and charm to win you over. Who hasn't spent too long agonizing over a lost love? Or rushed into a new love too quickly? I'm pleased the author took the time to wrap up every ...more
Lisa Tanoetirta
Sep 26, 2011 Lisa Tanoetirta rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I should not put this book on the "read" tag , because I never really read it.
I cant stand the book. I only read 2 chapts and i skipped it to the mid, and finally the end.

Not that I am a mean person, I like Mike's other book "Turning 30", but this one completely failed me.
He used the same twist for the plot. Its like SIGH. Too many bla bla. Way too much.

The story of a 26yr old man who still pathetically lingering over his 1yr relationship girlfriend is sooo unlogical.
I feel the same like the oth
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
I chose this book from
the relays based on its
pretty cover. Here's a
good piece of advice:
Never judge a book by its
cover...bad or good. That's
all this book had---a cute
cover. I was hopeful that
this book, with its male
protagonist, a first for me
in chick lit, would be clever
and new. Nope. Disappointing
waste of good reading time.
Hasni
Nov 11, 2012 Hasni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very interesting!! and I like the way this was written.at the beginning I felt sorry for Will Kelly because he suffered without his love. I think he was a strange and good man and his love for Aggie was admirable. Personally I think he lost her for his own good.I think Kate& Alice were better than Aggie.So I'm happy About the end and I think he got "The Legendary Girlfriend" in the end.
Howard Weathersby
I loved this book. I can see the pretentious nature of the main character,Will and why that would be a turn off to read about. But I reckon the reason why I enjoyed this book was because it actually felt like a slice of authentic life,even down to the smallest mundane details. Felt very unique to me.
Katherine Van Dam
Nov 29, 2016 Katherine Van Dam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
Legendary or not his book was a very easy read that spoke volumes from the writer, Mike Gayle. My Legendary Girlfriend takes you through the eyes of a young adult male who is searching for the one. He is lucky enough to indeed find the one, however like life it is not who he thought it would be. Isn't that perfect and true to life?
Claudette
Jun 24, 2013 Claudette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Mike Gayle is a good writer. His genre is very different from other authors as he writes with humour.
Gerhard
Not my cup of tea...boring as hell....I'm really not into reading about a guy who wallows in self-pity about 'the one that got away'......
Charlotte Wood
Jul 22, 2013 Charlotte Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No words! Simply excellent as I'm writing this I'm thinking I'm going to read it again. Anyone could relate to it, hilarious x
Theresa-dawn Morrison
I felt this book was refreshing because it was from the male perspective .i found it rather sweet
Maged Zakher
Sep 30, 2013 Maged Zakher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Hilariously sweet! Mike Gayle doesn't seem to disappoint me! Liked it a lot.
Cláudia
O final disto é irreal!!!! Hahahaha
Wenny Widy
yha, saya suka endingnya. walaupun agak terburu-buru dan lain sebagainya, tapi aku suka.
karena ketiba-tibaan(?)nyalah yang membuat ending ini memikat.
review coming soon, di blog saya. ahaha
Soho_Black
Jun 18, 2012 Soho_Black rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, used-to-own
Some of Mike Gayle’s writing has appealed to me purely because he seems to be a little more in touch with reality than a number of novelists in the chick-lit and bloke-lit genres. This means he writes characters I can relate to a lot more than many in the genre and whilst reading for escapism is often fun, there are plenty of other genres I can delve into for that sort of thing and I prefer a touch of realism in my bloke-lit characters to go with the real places the novels are set in, even if th ...more
nila
Oct 10, 2016 nila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
3/4 bagain pertama buku ini sangat membosankan mengikuti kegiatan akhir pekan Will Kelly, laki-laki pemalas tak punya kelebihan apa-apa yang begitu apatis setelah ditinggal pacarnya 3 tahun lalu. Tidak bisa 'move on' , Totally a looser.

1/4 bagian terakhirlah yang menarik keadaan dengan cepat berubah-ubah dalam kurang lebih hanya 24 jam, twist yang bagus di 30 halaman terakhir.
Sankrutyayan
Mar 07, 2015 Sankrutyayan rated it it was amazing
This one is fresh. I have not read a funnier description of a heartbroken bachelor before, maybe I have not read enough, yet this would be funnier I speculate. This actually seemed a generalization of a twenty-something bachelor's life and of all his everyday feats. If I had to quote everything that is funny or interesting or entertaining in this book I have to write the whole book here again. This is more of giggling and tittering type than of laugh-out-loud.

This book stuck a chord with me too,
Paddy Meharg

‘Chillax’ is one of those words I reserve animosity for. ‘Synergy’ is another. The term to discuss this book ‘Lad-lit’ falls into this category. The very utterance of the word sends shudders down my spine. The author, Mike Gayle, was a former Agony Uncle and it really does show.
The witty blurb was what enticed me, “Meet Will Kelly. English teacher. Film Fan. Pot Noodle Expert. Ex boyfriend”. The story revolves around this young man Willy Kelly who by all counts is useless at being a human bein
Best Crime Books & More
Okay, my first foray into the world of Lad Lit came only in November 2011 with a
self-published book that had me literally crying with laughter. The book was so
good that I immediately started looking at other male ‘Lad Lit’ authors and Mike
Gayle was one that I had heard of and was incredibly popular.

With that in mind I decided to try his debut novel My Legendary Girlfriend that he
first published back in 1998. Very early on we are introduced to Will Kelly, the only
real ‘character’ so to speak
Kaion
Aug 26, 2009 Kaion rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summary: On the eve of his 26th birthday weekend, Will Kelly could be having a quarter-life crisis... He's been an English teacher for less than a month and he's bumming cigarettes off students. His best male friend is an insufferably self-absorbed rock frontman type who just scored a record deal. His best female friend is incredibly grown-up and sucessful and lives too far away. He's going to have to beg for another student-banking overdraft extension. He's avoiding a clingy one-night stand, an ...more
Jack
Aug 20, 2016 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In order to really enjoy Gayle's books. It helps if you are male ! Since all his work is told from this perspective ! I write that as i've seen a few disparaging reviews from some of the female readers, However.
In this story. Will is a young. Newly qualified teacher. About to embark on his first term as an English teacher in a tough Birmingham(UK) city school.
He's up to his neck in debt from his university education.
Renting a flat that has all the charm as a contemporary bomb site !
Trying to cop
Mirella Grace
May 19, 2011 Mirella Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ladlit
Ceritanya... gimana ya? Menurutku, gak sebagus novel Mike Gayle yang sebelumnya kubaca, Mr. Commitment. Tapi, tetep suka sama gaya berceritanya Mike Gayle.

Mungkin karna Mr. Gayle cowok kali ya, makanya tokoh utamanya selalu cowok. Ini hal baru deh buat bacaan novel saya. Dari dua buku Mr. Gayle, saya udah suka banget sama gaya penceritaannya, termasuk juga terbiasa dengan karakter cowok sebagai tokoh utamanya.

Di Pacar Legendarisku, si Will Kelly diputusin sama Aggi, pas ultah ke 23. Nah, tiga ta
  • The California Club
  • Only Dad
  • Денискины рассказы
  • 10th Grade
  • True Story
  • Excess All Areas (Freya Johnson #1)
I was born in the 70s — the 70s were great. I would recommend them to anyone.

I was also born in Birmingham — in my humble opinion the greatest city in the world with the nicest people too.

I used to live in London — a great city too. But a bit on the pricey side.

I also used to live in Manchester — another great city (although technically I lived in Salford which is next door but that’s sort of spli
More about Mike Gayle...