Start by marking “Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next, #2)

Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next #2)

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  37,522 Ratings  ·  2,033 Reviews
Thursday Next, literary detective and newlywed, is back to embark on an adventure that begins on her own doorstep. It seems that Landen, her husband, actually drowned in an accident when he was two years old. Someone, somewhere, sometime, is responsible.
Published September 2002 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2002)

Jon
Apr 03, 2013 Jon added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jon by: Alternative World Book Club Summer Series 2009 Thursday Next
Sandi
Oct 14, 2008 Sandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, fantasy, funny-stuff
Curses! About 40 pages from the end, I had to run out and get the next book in the Thursday Next series, "Well of Lost Plots." This book doesn't have an ending! Even worse, I got sucked up into it and had to keep going.

"Lost in a Good Book" is the sequel to "The Eyre Affair" starring spec ops officer Thursday Next. To say that Thursday's life is complicated is an understatement. I'm not going to get into the plot or characters of this book. To do so would spoil this book, the preceding book, an
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
This is one of those books that I wanted to like so much more than I did. Hell, it's one of those books that I feel like I should like more than I do. I mean, with the little literary cameos and the wry humor (and occasionally groan-inducing puns), with the jumping through books and really just the whole thing - it should be right up my alley. But it just doesn't work for me.

Part of it is that I feel it has a little bit of the Un Lun Dun problem - it seems more a showcase for all the nifty ideas
BrokenTune
Jan 23, 2016 BrokenTune rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
‘Bad boy!’ she added in a scolding tone. The Tasmanian tiger looked crestfallen, sat on its blanket by the Aga and stared down at its paws. ‘Rescue Thylacine,’ explained my mother. ‘Used to be a lab animal. He smoked forty a day until his escape. It’s costing me a fortune in nicotine patches. Isn’t it, DH-82?’

This is such a clever book and there ere are so many quotable passages, but the problem is that may favourite parts contain spoilers of either this book or of pretty much any classic work o
Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves books
Recommended to Carmen by: Library
This is the 2nd book in the series, after THE EYRE AFFAIR. Read that first, or you might be a bit lost.

Thursday Next is now married to Landon. They are so in love. Both veterans of the Crimean War, they have put the past behind them and started a new future together.

Thursday is a Special Operative. She is a LiteraTec, someone who deals with stolen and forged books. But Thursday is also blessed with a rare special power - she can travel INTO books.

In this book she visits, among others, Sense and
Lena
May 05, 2008 Lena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Though I'm not generally a big fan of book series, the Thursday Next books are really growing on me. This second book picks up shortly after The Eyre Affair ended and follows Thursday as she again tangles with Goliath, tries to figure out why she is experiencing life-threatening coincidences, and begins to learn more about the fine art of book-jumping.

Though character development does not seem to be Fforde's priority and the bad guys in particular a little too thinly drawn, the underlying premi
Stephen
3.0 to 3.5 stars. Not quite as enjoyable as Fforde's other novels (my favorite being The Big Over Easy) but still a good read. I really like the "world" of Thursday next and will certainly visit it again by reading the next book in the series.
Alexandra
Der zweite Teil von Jasper Ffordes Paralleluniversum gefiel mir großartig und noch besser als der erste Teil, da ich mich nicht mehr die doch zu Beginn verwirrende Welt einleben musste.

In diesem Roman wird ein Feuerwerk der grandiosen Ideen gezündet, das von der ersten bis zur letzten Seite anhält. Sogar die kleinen Nebenhandlungen in diesem Werk sind von atemberaubender innovativer Gedankenkraft und Tiefgang z.B. die Nachzüchtung von Neandertalern und die ethischen Fragen die der Status einer
Petra
Jan 04, 2012 Petra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A helluva lot of fun. I didn’t mean to read this book right now. Having been rather lukewarm about the first book in this series, I wasn’t sure whether to continue but some have said the series gets better. I thought I'd scan the first few pages and decide what to do.
Then, like Thursday Next, I fell into this book. It was clever, delightful; entertaining with lots of plot twists and turns, including an end-of-the-world scenario.
Miss Havisham is interesting. She’s assertive, in charge, smart and
Lightreads
Sequel to The Eyre Affair. Literary Detective Thursday Next is dealing with her sudden fame, pregnancy, the eradication of her husband from the timeline in order to force her to work for megacorp Goliath by going into books, the thing where someone is trying to kill her, her training as a Jurisfiction (hee) agent to ensure the integrity of books, and the impending end of the world.

Weird, fun, metafictional. Thursday slides in and out of books and her brand of reality, and there are some great li
Algernon
May 11, 2011 Algernon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Super fun for book geeks like me. Even if I am unfamiliar with some of the books and characters mentioned here, as in the first Thursday Next book, I had no problem laughing out loud on occassion and following the plot. Having read this after Christopher Moore's "You Suck!" it is interesting to note the different approaches to creating humorous situations. Moore relies rather heavily on teenage angst and sex jokes while Fforde borrows from the English tradition of word play, absurdism (is this e ...more
Valetta
Jun 12, 2015 Valetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La vita può diventare stressante se siete incinta e vi sradicano il marito, il mondo sta per trasformarsi in un ammasso di gelatina rosa e voi vi ritrovate di punto in bianco nel bel mezzo del Processo di Kafka a dovervi giustificare per aver cambiato il finale di Jane Eyre.
Tra l'altro il vostro avvocato per il processo comunica con voi tramite note a piè di pagina, il che non è comodissimo!
In situazioni del genere conviene sempre guardarsi le spalle e soprattutto controllare che il livello di e
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
I read Lost in a Good Book when it was first published but decided to read the whole series again before burying myself in its last instalment, The Woman Who Died a Lot.

I was a bit disappointed after reading The Eyre Affair for the second time (it wasn't as enjoyable as I remembered it) so I wasn't sure what to expect from Lost in a Good Book. Still, I shouldn't have worried as this is such a great read!

The book is packed with wild, hilarious ideas : Thursday Next becomes an apprentice to Miss H
Skylar Burris
Although some of the novelty of Thursday Next's world has worn off by the time the reader reaches this sequel to The Eyre Affair, Fforde adds enough new treats to keep the book feeling almost as fresh as its prequel. The humour is as sharp as ever; indeed, Lost in a Good Book may be even funnier than Fforde's previous novel. The book is an easy read and is just fun. It narrates every bibliophile's childlike fantasy--the idea of being able to travel through books. There was one flaw in the work, ...more
Jan
Dec 01, 2008 Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Jan by: Can't remember.
If you like reading, you will love Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series. Set in an alternative history of England (and the world in general), where 27 levels of Special-Ops monitor everything and the mega-corporation Goliath is waiting to take over the world, it follows Thursday's adventures as a Litra-Tech apprentice of Miss Havisham of Great Expectations fame.

If you like books, spies and England and fantasy, this is a must read. Be sure to read The Eyre Affair first.
Judy
Mar 02, 2009 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm in love with this series although I apear to be reading them out of order. This is the second in the series, and Thursday Next, who works as a Literary Dtective in Special Ops, has just her ground-breaking work in The Eyre Affair (she ended up changing the ending from Jane moving to India to Jane staying in England and marrying Mr. Rochester). Thursday is the talk of the town and Special Ops Public Relations wants her to do everything from television appearances (highly censored) to a possib ...more
Tracey
Mar 13, 2012 Tracey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery readers may be frustrated, but general bibliophiles should have a rollicking good time
Shelves: audiobook, re-read
Previously read June 2004 - audiobook March 2012.

Checked out Lost in a Good Book after refreshing my memory of Thursday Next by re-reading The Eyre Affair. [later purchased this]

The second book starts with Thursday as a semi-newlywed, continuing her work with SpecOps 27, the Literary Detectives Division. In between giving unwilling interviews, being harassed by Goliath and determining whether a newly-discovered play really was by Shakespeare, she is introduced to the Department of Jursifiction;
Lisa Vegan
May 04, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: almost everyone I know who enjoys reading
While I didn’t feel quite the same extreme sense of glee about the final parts of the book as I did with the end the first book in the series (The Eyre Affair), the events toward the end of the book were, once again, exceedingly clever. And: I think that I enjoyed this book even more than the first one, which is saying a lot. I’m also thrilled because several people have told me that the next/third book in the series is their favorite so far; I believe that there are 5 now. I’m therefore very ea ...more
Neil
Oct 24, 2015 Neil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the 2nd book in the Thursday Next series. As with many series I would urge people to read them in order, whilst this is a good book in it's own right it might appear more than a little confusing and jumbled to those unfamiliar with previous events.
This book dove tails nicely onto 'The Eyre Affair', and continues shortly after where the 1st book left off. The reader is introduced to a whole new world, when Thursday gets involved with Jurisfiction. She becomes apprenticed to Miss Havisham
Jenny
Jan 30, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like The Eyre Affair better but only because it's slightly simpler. I love the allusions, but the plot has too many side plots going on. Sure, Fforde raps them all up nicely, but it's a little convoluted for me.
That being said, I love continuing with these characters and this world. Thursday is a great narrator, and the allusions are fun. I really enjoy the concept of this series, and the way the story moves forward is interesting and slightly unexpected.
I recommend this book only to people
Martine
The second book in the Thursday Next series provides more literary fun for those who are into that kind of thing.

Thursday's exploits in Jane Eyre have made her a bit of a celebrity, which means she has to make regular appearances on TV. Not everybody likes her, though; a mysterious foe keeps trying to kill her, her husband of one month has been eradicated from history and if that weren't bad enough, her time-travelling father tells her Armageddon is at hand. So not only does Thursday have to ge
Sarah Finley
Oct 23, 2009 Sarah Finley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lost in a Good Book - what a title. Would I have been in such a situation! Sadly, I was not, and I really hated this book to begin with. Half a star rating at best. In fact, the only reason I finished it was so that I could give it a bad review. By the end, I was able to stomach it, which isn't much for praise.

I haven't much patience with books that try to be clever, and this book is dripping with unsupportable pretentiousness. For a long time, I thought the main character was a man, for this m
JoAnne
Jan 26, 2016 JoAnne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Future JurisFiction Operatives
Shelves: re-reading
Originally recommended to me by a friend in publishing who knew me to be a kindred spirit, the Thursday Next Series by Jasper Fforde (as well as the spin-off of sorts Nursery Crime Series) are pure Litgeek fun. They feel a bit like Douglas Adams for fans of English Literature ... I picked up the series again a few days ago, purely by chance, only to discover that a new book (The First Among Sequels) is coming out next month. Joy! Bliss!
Sonia
Oct 06, 2015 Sonia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quizás tú odies tanto como yo esos segundos libros que se escriben con la intención de un tercero y por tanto se acaban quedando en una especie de intermedio, relleno de un montón de paja, en el que no se resuelve nada de nada. Te lo advierto, este es uno de ellos.
Lo bueno de la novela es que sigue siendo sobre Thursday Next en ese mundo fresco, alocado, diferente, con dodots y mamuts, padres que viajan en el tiempo y locos por la literatura. Se puede disfrutar así de la imaginación del autor, d
Bailey
A totally satisfying follow-up to the first book. What I think I liked most about it was that it felt not like a separate "sequel" but more just as a continuation of the first book (which, I think, a sequel should actually feel like). Maybe I've been reading too many trilogies, but I found this very refreshing.

On to the Next!
Robert
Nov 24, 2013 Robert rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Lost the Plot After One Good Book, more like.

THIS REVIEW HAS BEEN CURTAILED IN PROTEST AT GOODREADS' CENSORSHIP POLICY

See the complete review here:

Charity Yoder
marked down to 2 1/2 stars .

Here's the the thing: this book wasn't bad. In fact, I found it pretty admirable. For a world where literature is paramount, it's actually pretty great. But a few things...

1. This plot was, for me, super slow. It was hard to get into. Sure it had its moments. But for the most part it was slow, except for maybe the last 40 pages or so. Not helped by...

2. The scientific mumbo jumbo. There's so much. Inventive? Well, yeah. But so hard to understand. Not helped by the f
Melissa Rudder
Jan 17, 2010 Melissa Rudder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An antagonist named Mr. Schitt-Hause. A 108 year-old woman who can't die until she has discovered and read the ten most boring classics (and who debates about what they are--I was elated when she mentioned Spencer's Faerie Queen and indignant when she named Milton's Paradise Lost and Richardson's Pamela). A painting that is so minimalist that it's just a hook on a wall. Miss Havisham waiting until Pip leaves the room (and her scene ends) to put on trainers and begin teaching our protagonist, her ...more
Scot
Aug 10, 2009 Scot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second in the Thursday Next series, not so much a detective mystery as an absurdist/alternative history/anglobibliophile/British dry humor series. I am particularly delighted by any work that has characters from different cosmologies, realities, and time periods interact, so although I think the plot continuity is mediocre here because the author is so busy being clever, I also admit he IS clever, and the book is more for getting you to giggle or pause and reflect every few pages tha ...more
Aug 31, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason I accepted this more willingly than I did the Eyre Affair, perhaps because I had been primed for the silliness already. There were some really clever touches, like the footnotes, and The Trial, and the opening paragraphs of the chapter that went all Dracula-ish. Those managed to redeem it from the Xanth-like punning.
At the same time, I keep feeling like the author has no filter. Everything is in here. Was the chapter where she moonlighted with Stoker necessary? How is it possibl
Like a Challenge? 2 20 Oct 06, 2014 10:42AM
  • Rex Libris, Volume I: I, Librarian (Rex Libris, #1-5)
  • The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse
  • Don't Cry For Me Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #4)
  • Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant, #3)
  • Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures (Zamonia, #3)
  • Letters from LA
  • In Your Dreams (J. W. Wells & Co., #2)
  • All Clear (All Clear, #2)
  • Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2)
  • The Detective (Johannes Cabal, #2)
  • A Letter of Mary (Mary Russell, #3)
  • The Spellmans Strike Again (The Spellmans, #4)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • The Bookman's Wake (Cliff Janeway, #2)
  • The Haunted Bookshop
  • The Graveyard Game (The Company, #4)
Jasper Fforde is a novelist living in Wales. He is the son of John Standish Fforde, the 24th Chief Cashier for the Bank of England, whose signature used to appear on sterling banknotes, and is cousin of Desmond Fforde, married to author Katie Fforde. His early career was spent as a focus puller in the film industry, where he worked on a number of films including Quills, GoldenEye, and Entrapment.

H
More about Jasper Fforde...

Thursday Next (8 books)
  • The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1)
  • The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next #3)
  • Something Rotten (Thursday Next, #4)
  • First Among Sequels (Thursday Next, #5)
  • One of Our Thursdays Is Missing (Thursday Next, #6)
  • The Woman Who Died a Lot (Thursday Next, #7)
  • Dark Reading Matter (Thursday Next, #8)

“Her majesty is one verb short of a sentence.” 145 likes
“I would so hate to be a first-person character! Always on your guard, always having people read your thoughts!” 119 likes