Start by marking “The Big Blind” as Want to Read:
The Big Blind

The Big Blind

A quirky, stylish, feelgood novel of high stakes, lost love and poker from the bestselling author of GOODNIGHT STEVE MCQUEEN.
Paperback
Published September 1st 2004 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Blind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Blind

Amanda
Jul 22, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog
So I bought this book because I thought it would be about poker. And it was, kind of, but mainly that cover and blurb is doing some serious bluffing because it's about much more.

Audrey Ungar should be satisfied with her life--she's in her early thirties, she's traveled the world, she's a math genius, and she has steady employment, loyal friends, and the perfect-for-her boyfriend. However, for Audrey, there will forever be one thing missing: her father. Suffering from a gambling addiction, her fa
Carinya Kappler
Oct 14, 2012 Carinya Kappler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author of this unusual novel, Louise Wener, emerged as a successful full time author after fame as a lead singer in the pop band Sleeper. Her focus in this story is the daughter of a household split apart by the financial and social consequences of addictive gambling.
However this is a scenario with a difference. The gamblers in this story are a breed apart from the norm. Both the daughter and her lost father are mathematical geniuses. This is a tale of perseverance and longing. It is about f
Suad Alhalwachi
Mar 14, 2017 Suad Alhalwachi rated it really liked it
A good book, finished it vet quickly. Too many "and" in each sentence, it's good for those who live to play games and maybe gamble.
Ian Kirkpatrick
Feb 15, 2014 Ian Kirkpatrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Louise Wener’s second novel is a real departure from her debut outing. In “The Big Blind” she creates a believable and realistic protagonist in Audrey Ungar, a thirty-something maths tutor with slight OCD tendencies, who discovers that she shares her absent father’s obsession with poker. With the help of an obese and reclusive card sharp called Big Louie she sets out on a quest to track down and confront her missing father.

Wener has a finely honed comedic eye (and ear) and her characters crackle
Derek Baldwin
Jul 30, 2014 Derek Baldwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick and easy and enjoyable read with some real emotional resonance amid the wisecracks. Our heroine, Audrey, hasn't seen her father since childhood and has always felt incomplete - well I could certainly identify with that having lost contact with my own dad aged 12. Audrey gets to have a happy ending, which I slightly resented not having had one of my own (he died in 2012, there was no happy - or otherwise - reconciliation) and this comes not long after considerable deus ex machina shenanig ...more
 Arushi
Surprisingly good, seeing that some parts fell totally flat and made me want to just stop reading it for good. There's something that bothered me immensely but I can't quite put a finger on what it is. Maybe it was the dad's character. Maybe it was the overprotective boyfriend.

The plot is interesting enough though. The overall feel of this book is amusing as well. I for sure, haven't read a book with a heroine as hilarious as Audrey. All the poker talk at the end flew over my head though.

It was
Stephanie McCown
I plowed through this book just to be able to finish what I started, but it wasn't that great. Of course, the copy I have is the Advanced Reader's Edition, not the official publication sold in stores, so it's possible that the story was improved a bit before it was available to the public. I really hope so.
Victoria
Jun 19, 2012 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit-fic
I enjoyed this novel about poker and gambling quite a bit. It had some genuine laugh-out-loud moments, great characters and truly terrific writing. The whole book had a very cinematic quality to it. It was a lot of fun to read and I am definitely looking forward to reading Wener’s other books! What a talent!
Denise
Jun 20, 2009 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written by the singer of Brit-pop band Sleeper, this is an enjoyable journey into the world of serious poker. I learned quite a lot about the game (all forgotten now) and Wener creates some interesting characters. A quick, light read.
Tory
Feb 17, 2011 Tory rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first third of this book genuinely amused me. I was captivated and I couldn't help but like the main character. I like the absurd and this author had a good handle on it.

Then the last two thirds of the book really bored me. Blah, poker, blah issues, blah, blah, blah.
Nelly Campana
For all those women who love poker, you'll enjoy this book. Who says a woman can't shuffle up and deal with the boys?
Kavfrou
Sep 01, 2007 Kavfrou rated it liked it
my favourite part of this book is the trivial fact of how long is the time for a worm to cross the desert or something like that..
Sara
Sep 20, 2008 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read. There's certainly nothing deep here, but it's less fluffy than the cover led me to believe. A good vacation book, especially if you're going to Vegas!
Sophie Atherton
Sep 04, 2016 Sophie Atherton rated it it was amazing
Funny, engaging novel populated with well-written characters that I enjoyed spending time with. Made me want to eat gherkins, but not play poker.
Brandi Harris
Brandi Harris rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2012
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2013
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Sofie
Sofie rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2012
Anja Regine
Anja Regine rated it it was ok
Sep 13, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2012
Tom D'Roza
Tom D'Roza rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Colin Jones
Colin Jones rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2007
Francesca
Francesca rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2012
Beth Blue
Beth Blue rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2011
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
May 02, 2012
Andrew Wicks
Andrew Wicks rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2014
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2012
Ian rated it it was ok
May 09, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Far Reaches
  • Mongrels, Bastards, Orphans, and Vagabonds: Mexican Immigration and the Future of Race in America
  • Vows: The Story of a Priest, a Nun, and Their Son
  • The Gift in You: Discover New Life Through Gifts Hidden in Your Mind
  • The Laments
  • Wife in the Fast Lane
  • The Legal Limit
  • Despite The Falling Snow
  • Love In A Jiffy (Rancho Estate, #3)
  • Mail-Order Groom
  • Shadow Child
  • Letters to a Love Rat
  • Old Border Road: A Novel
  • Artifacts, Volume 1
  • Falling  Laughing: The Restoration of Edwyn Collins
  • Chocolate to Die For (A Chocoholic Mystery #4 & #5)
  • Sunbathing In The Rain: A Cheerful Book About Depression