Start by marking “Dreaming in Smoke” as Want to Read:
Dreaming in Smoke

Dreaming in Smoke

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Kalypso Deed is a shotgun, riding the interface between the AI Ganesh and human scientists who solve problems through cyberassisted Dreams. But she's young and a little careless; she'd rather mix drinks and play jazz. Azamat Marcsson is a colorless statistician: middle-aged, boring, and obsessed with microorganisms. A first-class nonentity--until one of his Dreams implodes ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published May 4th 1998 by Spectra / Bantam Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Dreaming in Smoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreaming in Smoke

Awful. I liked the main character and what I could gather about the story but the writing is not good enough to tempt me to engage my brain - and so the plot was clear as mud. I do suspect the plot might have been clear as mud even if I did engage my brain.
Matt
I'm not convinced on the merit of using a viewpoint character that is wilfully ignorant of pretty much everything going on around her.

There were some interesting ideas buried amongst the confusion, dream imagery and interminable sections where nothing much at all was happening.

My last visit for a while to the shelf of “books I have owned for years but never gotten around to”.
Jane
An interesting combination of cyber SF and alien worlds. It drags at some points but it's refreshingly different from Gibson and most of the rest of the cyberpunk wordsmiths of the day.
Terry L Boose
Terry L Boose marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Ross Presser
Ross Presser marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Noah Temple
Noah Temple marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Fifi
Fifi marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Kira Karneth
Kira Karneth marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
David Forero
David Forero marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Celso Flores
Celso Flores marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
202960
Tricia Sullivan (born July 7, 1968 in New Jersey, U.S.) is a science fiction writer. She has also written fantasy under the pseudonym Valery Leith.

She moved to the United Kingdom in 1995. In 1999 she won the Arthur C. Clarke Award for her novel Dreaming in Smoke. Her novel Maul was also shortlisted for the same award in 2004.

Sullivan has studied music and karate. Her partner is the martial artist
More about Tricia Sullivan...
Maul Lethe Lightborn Double Vision Shadowboxer