Start by marking “Jungle Tales of Tarzan (Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan, #6)” as Want to Read:
Jungle Tales of Tarzan (Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan, #6)
Open Preview read book* *Different edition

Jungle Tales of Tarzan (Tarzan #6)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  1,285 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Includes "Tarzan of the Apes, The Return of Tarzan, Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar", and "Tarzan and the City of Gold".
Published August 12th 1980 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1919)

To ask other readers questions about Jungle Tales of Tarzan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jungle Tales of Tarzan

John
I've always been, and always will be a fan of Tarzan. Might be a bit campy and pulp fictionish, but I love it!
Matti Karjalainen
Jo jokin aika sitten aloittamani Edgar Rice Burroughs -maratonin seuraava etappi "Tarzanin viidakkoseikkailuja" (Kirjayhtymä, 1991) ei lapsena lukeutunut suurimpien apinamies-suosikkieni joukkoon.

Lyhyistä novellintapaisista koostuvassa romaanissa kuvataan Tarzanin lapsuus- ja nuoruusvuosia Kerchakin apinalauman rivijäsenenä, siis aikakaudesta jolloin sankarimme ei ollut vielä kohonnut ihmisapinain kunninkaaksi tai kohdannut elämänkumppaniaan Janea. Sankarimme kokee erilaisia seikkailuja viidakon
Duncan
Jun 29, 2009 Duncan rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the skeptical
Each chapter reads like a fable, with an implied moral. They are actually quite engaging--the prose is easy to read, but not completely devoid of literary value (which I would not be able to define, if you asked me). Of course, there are some serious flaws, as is probably the case in any story where one person attempts to convince another of the rectitude of his thought. Especially when one is Edgar Rice Burroughs and and an indefatigable racist. It is disturbing, yet oddly refreshing to see thi ...more
Margot
I was really not in the mood for this, but it was the shortest audio book on my iPod. I've been slowly working my way through all of Burroughs's Tarzan books. This installment, in the form of eight or nine short stories, goes back to Tarzan's adolescent days as a young man-ape. Before he learned to speak, while he was still fawning over she-apes and terrorizing (and murdering) the Gomangani--the black tribal men of the jungle.

Burroughs's racism and class-ism often subtly nuance the Tarzan books.
David Allen
Five books in, ERB switched things up and wrote a dozen short stories about Tarzan's jungle life pre-Jane, a kind of continuity implant into the middle of the first book. These are fun and mostly successful, although Tarzan's age isn't exploited (he seems to be a young man rather than teen) and the casual racism of his encounters with black tribes is embarrassing today.
Seth Kenlon
In my mind, this book is sort of what Tarzan #1 should have been. I'm not saying the first book isn't any good, but if I was cheating, I'd maybe read this book first, then Jewels of Opar, and then continue from there, foregoing the first 4 altogether. But I wouldn't really cheat like that; I'm just saying, this book has a bunch of fairly random Tarzan adventures crammed into one book, with Tarzan at his best, and it kind of touches on all of his major conflicts. It has him struggling against ani ...more
Ira Livingston
Interesting twist to go back and talk of Tarzan's childhood. It's worth reading, and a nice break from the growth of the series.
Otis Campbell
This is my jungle, this is my jungle
There's no room for you
This is my jungle, this is my jungle
David F.
Entertaining stories but a number are tainted with a substantial element of racism.
Keith
Libravox recording
Yeva
Wow. Now I know why I think the way I do. I read every book by Edgar Rice Burroughs I could lay my hands on when I was a kid, and I've not really read anything by him since. I read this for fun to see if I still enjoyed Tarzan, and I was so surprised by Mr. Burroughs's perspective. I didn't notice how strong his ideas were way, way back then. Hmm. This book makes me wonder about other writers I loved as a child. How much influence did they have over my moral imagination?
Catherine
Skip it. Lame. And I decided it wasnt racist, it's more like class-ist. But it's stronger in this book than the others and it's really annoying. Shut up, Burroughs with your really arrogant opinions. And he also goes on a lot about evolution and god and yet both go hand and hand according to him.

It's irritating. Tell the story and don't go off on tangents and don't repeat yourself so much, man.
Bill Hohl
I liked this one less than the others. it was still good but it took me longer to get through
Ailish
There are some nice stories (and two nasty ones) in this collection.Tarzan has a fairly casual attitude towards human life, casually strangling the local villagers when they bother him by getting in his way, wailing to loud or eating too much. And then there's Edgar Rice Burrough's blithe racism.
Travis
Nice collection of short stories all about when Tarzan was a young boy, growing up in the jungle. Guess that makes this a prequel to 'Tarzan of the apes.
More low key than the usual Tarzan novel. Smaller stories that mix adventure and character moments. One of the best of the series.
Kristy
This sixth book is a bit different in format than the others. Here we have several different stories combined together instead of just one. Still absolutely great though. My favorite story is when Tarzan starts asking who God is and eventually figures it out...beautiful story.
Justin Anthony
This Tarzan book differs from the rest in that it does have a timeline but ithe book is several smaller stories throughout the life of Tarzan before Tarzan of the Apes. You get it read some about the expolits of Tarzan and the Gomangani and more of his personality.
David Ward
Jungle Tales of Tarzan (Tarzan #6) by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Ballantine 1919). This volume is a series of stories from Tarzan's youth about his growth and development into the role of "King of the Jungle." My rating: 7/10, finished 1974.
Linds
This is a prequel to Tarzan #1. The author's blatant racism regarding "uncivilized" Africans aside, this is one of my favorite Tarzan books. He's unsocialized and completely alone in the jungle before he makes contact with the greater world.
Robert
More Tarzan. Seemed more racist than usual, and Tarzan is kind of a horrible person sometimes.

If you've read one Tarzan book, you've read them all. This is number 3, and I regret it. I swear, if he kills one more lion...
G. Taylor
For anyone interested in Tarzan's formative years, and to some extent his spiritual life, this book is a lot of fun to read. Adventure, mystery and genuine laughs whenever the Lord of the Jungle tries to deal with his Apes.
Jenny
Jungle Tales of Tarzan (Tarzan, #6)  by Edgar Rice Burroughs. STARTING TARZAN (6) ; JUNGLE TALES OF TARZAN.
Lydia Ledbetter
Very good, I liked how some of them were funny. He's calls the heart "The little red thing that breathes" I lauged and shared it with my mom and sister! 5 down 20 to go, still go to read the 5th book though.
Id Davidovich
I give this book two stars only relative to the other books in the Tarzan series. It was well worth reading for a Tarzan fan, but not as enjoyable as the preceding novels.
Merwyn Haskett
Previous review available under Jungle Love Indeed at The Taze Files.
Deven At
Not my favorite Tarzan book, I read it my first time through the 24 book series and now I skip this book when reading the Tarzan books.
Charles
Not the best of the Tarzan series. I was somewhat disappointed, although I always liked ERB's John Carter stories much better.
Academama
This is....well...the worst of Tarzan. But it's still kind of a page-turner, in a predictable, episodic kind of way.
Leaflet
These short stories provide some insights into Tarzan. The last one, "Tarzan Rescues the Moon" was my favorite.
Andrew
Gives back story to Tarzan, and fits in nicely to the series as a whole.
  • The Book of Q: A Novel
  • The Burrowers Beneath
  • Breakheart Hill
  • Beowulf and the Critics (Medieval & Renaissance Texts & Studies, Vol. 248)
  • Daughter of God
  • The Return of Dr. Fu-Manchu
  • The Thieves Of Heaven
  • Maiwa's Revenge: Or The War Of The Little Hand
  • Almuric
  • Gli uccelli di Bangkok (Pepe Carvalho #6)
  • Conan of the Isles (Conan 12)
  • La Comtesse de Cagliostro (Arsène Lupin, #13)
  • Time's Last Gift
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.
More about Edgar Rice Burroughs...
A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1) Tarzan of the Apes (Tarzan, #1) The Gods of Mars (Barsoom, #2) The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom, #3) The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1-3)

“[The little black boy] had seen Tarzan bring down a buck, just as Numa, the lion, might have done... Tibo had shuddered at the sight, but he had thrilled, too, and for the first time there entered his dull, Negroid mind a vague desire to emulate his savage foster parent. But Tibo, the little black boy, lacked the divine spark which had permitted Tarzan, the white boy, to benefit by his training in the ways of the fierce jungle. In imagination he was wanting, and imagination is but another name for super-intelligence.

Imagination it is which builds bridges, and cities, and empires. The beasts know it not, the blacks only a little, while to one in a hundred thousand of earth's dominant race it is given as a gift from heaven that man may not perish from the earth.”
2 likes