Start by marking “Jungle Tales of Tarzan (Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan, #6)” as Want to Read:
Jungle Tales of Tarzan (Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan, #6)

Read Book* *Different edition

Jungle Tales of Tarzan (Tarzan #6)

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  1,841 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Includes "Tarzan of the Apes, The Return of Tarzan, Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar", and "Tarzan and the City of Gold".
Published August 12th 1980 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1919)

To ask other readers questions about Jungle Tales of Tarzan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jungle Tales of Tarzan

John
I imagine that someday I will look back at JUNGLE TALES OF TARZAN as Edgar Rice Burroughs' masterpiece. The stories it contains are startlingly effective--not just as Tarzan stories, but as adventure stories period. Each one is impeccably written, exciting, and way more philosophical than I would've ever expected.
When reading the original classic TARZAN novel, I was struck by how much more interesting the story was before Tarzan left the jungle. I remember wishing he'd just stayed there for the
Quentin Wallace
May 19, 2015 Quentin Wallace rated it liked it
This was a collection of short stories set when Tarzan was a youth. Overall, it was quite enjoyable. There wasn't a whole lot to them as far as things that are crucial to the mythos, but still a fun read.

If you enjoyed the first Tarzan novel, Tarzan of the Apes, you'll probably really like this one as the stories seem closer in tone to the early part of that novel.
John
Nov 20, 2012 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always been, and always will be a fan of Tarzan. Might be a bit campy and pulp fictionish, but I love it!
Cheryl
Jan 21, 2015 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this addition to the series. I found it interesting that in book 6 Burroughs decides to explore how Tarzan's mind works, how he differs from the apes and how he feels about being different--for that matter how the apes feel about him being so different!

Burroughs explores the idea of God in the mind of a primitive. He explores the idea that when your primary activity each day is finding sufficient food and avoiding becoming someone else's food, you simply do not have time to develop hi
Cathy Cramer
I remembered this favorite from my dad, and read it to my 3rd, 6th, and 9th graders. I didn't remember the violence in some of it, and so I ended up skipping some of it with them. The 6th grader thought that this book should be for 5th grade and above, because of the violence. That sounds reasonable to me.

Even so, there is a great deal of humor and excitement in the book, and even the youngest (3rd grade) did like the story and wants to read more. The favorite chapter of all seems to be the one
Nogueira
Nov 05, 2016 Nogueira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, ebooks, favorites
12 small stories of Tarzan set during his early years, before knowing that he was Lord Greystoke, before Jane, before all the intrigues and the white enemies... this is the real thing, only jungle, animals, cannibal tribes and the quest for survival of a young boy raised by apes.

I'm not a test fan ofm small stories, but this collection was the perfect companion to my African Safari in Kenya and Tanzania... it's over unfortunately but I think I'll keep reading the Tarzan series during the next mo
Stephen Brooke
Edgar Rice Burroughs’s best work? ‘Jungle Tales of Tarzan’ is a sequence of short stories dealing with his protagonist’s childhood among the apes, before Jane and all the rest. It was a period worth revisiting, as it was left somewhat unexplored, of necessity, in ‘Tarzan of the Apes.’

Perhaps it’s not ‘the’ best. Perhaps the inventive romance of ‘A Princess of Mars’ should earn that book the title. But ‘Tales’ is certainly up there. ERB’s mature narrative style is on display, leaner than the firs
Erin Hall
I must be honest: I cared quite less about these additional tales of Tarzan's adventures than I have for the previous 5 novels. I enjoyed the 4 Greystoke novels and the following and even more improbable Jewels of Opar tale after that, but this was boring by comparison. It mostly sounded like the Tarzan series was so popular that ERB was forced to continue making up stories for Tarzan. Even though he managed to make them fit within his previously constructed narrative, it still felt forced.
Gale
May 02, 2016 Gale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Teenage Tarzan Comes of Age”

Although this is the 6th book in ERB’s “Tarzan” series, it could easily be inserted of the way through his famous “Tarzan of the Apes”—a novel which fired the imagination of countless boys around the world. If you could be persuaded to set aside the first book before Tarzan meets Jane Porter (a Baltimore girl who did not speak with a British accent—why should she?), you would experience Tarzan’s teenage years before his first encounter with his own kind--white men
Duncan
Jun 13, 2009 Duncan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the skeptical
Each chapter reads like a fable, with an implied moral. They are actually quite engaging--the prose is easy to read, but not completely devoid of literary value (which I would not be able to define, if you asked me). Of course, there are some serious flaws, as is probably the case in any story where one person attempts to convince another of the rectitude of his thought. Especially when one is Edgar Rice Burroughs and and an indefatigable racist. It is disturbing, yet oddly refreshing to see thi ...more
Margot
I was really not in the mood for this, but it was the shortest audio book on my iPod. I've been slowly working my way through all of Burroughs's Tarzan books. This installment, in the form of eight or nine short stories, goes back to Tarzan's adolescent days as a young man-ape. Before he learned to speak, while he was still fawning over she-apes and terrorizing (and murdering) the Gomangani--the black tribal men of the jungle.

Burroughs's racism and class-ism often subtly nuance the Tarzan books.
Matti Karjalainen
Jo jokin aika sitten aloittamani Edgar Rice Burroughs -maratonin seuraava etappi "Tarzanin viidakkoseikkailuja" (Kirjayhtymä, 1991) ei lapsena lukeutunut suurimpien apinamies-suosikkieni joukkoon.

Lyhyistä novellintapaisista koostuvassa romaanissa kuvataan Tarzanin lapsuus- ja nuoruusvuosia Kerchakin apinalauman rivijäsenenä, siis aikakaudesta jolloin sankarimme ei ollut vielä kohonnut ihmisapinain kunninkaaksi tai kohdannut elämänkumppaniaan Janea. Sankarimme kokee erilaisia seikkailuja viidakon
Ed
#6 in the Tarzan series. In the prior book of the series, Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar (1916), Tarzan and Jane have a vast African estate and Boy is grown with a romantic interest. I wondered where the series would progress and in the current entry I have not found out. The current entry is a collection of short stories, all prior to Tarzan having any contact with civilization. In all of the stories Tarzan is already full grown and muscular and in one a reference is made to his deceased father' ...more
James Bullinger
I should have loved Jungle Tales, but I didn't. Mostly because it was like a collection of short stories, but it also wasn't. It wanted to be a collection of short stories, but also tried to have a story line throughout. I wish it would have picked one and stuck to it. All the tales take place between when Tarzan's mama ape is killed and when he becomes king of the jungle. It should have been a great period of Tarzan's life to write stories about, but he didn't learn cool things about survival i ...more
Gretchen
Sep 27, 2016 Gretchen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Short stories that telescope into Tarzan's past, in relation to books 1-5 in the series. Could be read at any point without spoilers.

Too much emphasis on the pagan worship practices of the tribe in Tarzan's jungle for my taste. However, their religious practices do stand in sharp relief against a Tarzan's own religious explorations and experiences in this book. Also strongly emphasizes Tarzan's cruel sense if humor.

I did like that these stories highlighted more of Tarzan's intellectual growth th
Theresa
Feb 11, 2017 Theresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
This book was more a collection of loosely connected short stories than a complete novel. The further I read in this series, the less interested I become. It just seems to be more of the same.
Seth Kenlon
Oct 20, 2012 Seth Kenlon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my mind, this book is sort of what Tarzan #1 should have been. I'm not saying the first book isn't any good, but if I was cheating, I'd maybe read this book first, then Jewels of Opar, and then continue from there, foregoing the first 4 altogether. But I wouldn't really cheat like that; I'm just saying, this book has a bunch of fairly random Tarzan adventures crammed into one book, with Tarzan at his best, and it kind of touches on all of his major conflicts. It has him struggling against ani ...more
Janith Pathirage
This is definitely, one of the better Tarzan books written by Burroughs. Here, we get to know during his early years, how lonely Tarzan spent his time without human companions, using his imaginations and sense of humor to kill boredom. The book tells more about Tarzan's psychology and how he saw things as a teenager. With all that, still there's lot of action with bull apes and lions, mind games and bare hand fights with savage tribesmen. No lost civilisations !. This book is a pure entertainer ...more
Bruce
Oct 18, 2015 Bruce rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Frasier does an excellent job of voicing this story cycle of the adolescence of Burroughs’s most famous character. Originally published between 1916 and 1917 these dozen stories are chock-full of adventure, daring-do, male supremacy, and a whopping dose of the racism so characteristic of white America in the early part of the twentieth century. As the author puts it, “The baiting of the blacks was Tarzan's chief divertissement.” The recording is extremely well done, the content is despicable.
Finn J.D.
What can I say? I love me some early ERB but this stuff isn't doing it for me. It's like fan-fiction, only it's written by the actual author. It's so derivative I caught myself several times forgetting it was Burroughs himself writing it and not some eager Twihard or one of Rick Bragg's interns. That's not even getting into the racist elements, which, though expected in stories of this era, are still unpleasant for a modern reader.

I guess there were bills to pay, so I can't blame Burroughs for
Howard
Jul 24, 2015 Howard rated it really liked it
I have read all 24 of the Tarzan books. Read dates are from the mid 1970s through 1982. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the Tarzan books. They made a great escape from high school and college. I still have all 24 books and they are at the top of my book shelf. I thought it was pretty neat to find the actual covers listed on Goodreads and there are no barcodes on the books, plus the cover price ranged from $1.50-1.95 for each book.
Phil Clymer
I have mixed feelings about this book. The story line and writing are up to Burrough's normal quality. However, I have read several of his works and I don't recall any being this overtly racist. Beyond the standard notion that it takes a white Englishman to attain the title King of the Jungle, the native population is presented as advanced culturally only a few tiny steps above the level of the animals.

Yeva
Aug 29, 2012 Yeva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Now I know why I think the way I do. I read every book by Edgar Rice Burroughs I could lay my hands on when I was a kid, and I've not really read anything by him since. I read this for fun to see if I still enjoyed Tarzan, and I was so surprised by Mr. Burroughs's perspective. I didn't notice how strong his ideas were way, way back then. Hmm. This book makes me wonder about other writers I loved as a child. How much influence did they have over my moral imagination?
Catherine
Jan 08, 2014 Catherine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, series
Skip it. Lame. And I decided it wasnt racist, it's more like class-ist. But it's stronger in this book than the others and it's really annoying. Shut up, Burroughs with your really arrogant opinions. And he also goes on a lot about evolution and god and yet both go hand and hand according to him.

It's irritating. Tell the story and don't go off on tangents and don't repeat yourself so much, man.
Nicola
Jan 18, 2015 Nicola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one as it was short stories instead of a full length novel. ERB did a great job in deciding to narrate stories from Tarzan's childhood this way, as I feel I would have gotten bored if it was just one story. Again, ambiguously sexist and racist, but that's just the feel I get from the whole series, and I guess it's a product of its times. I love how ERB developed Tarzan's character in terms of his beliefs and mental processes, as opposed to just his strength all of the time.
LadyCalico
May 05, 2016 LadyCalico rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is kind of a return to the source in which we return to the young primitive unspoiled apeman having many dangerous and exciting adventures in the jungle. This, to me, is the stuff that makes the Tarzan series great, not all the other stuff about European or Arabian villains violating his territory or encounters with lost cities of human-sacrificing tribes.
David Allen
Five books in, ERB switched things up and wrote a dozen short stories about Tarzan's jungle life pre-Jane, a kind of continuity implant into the middle of the first book. These are fun and mostly successful, although Tarzan's age isn't exploited (he seems to be a young man rather than teen) and the casual racism of his encounters with black tribes is embarrassing today.
David Ward
Jungle Tales of Tarzan (Tarzan #6) by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Ballantine 1919). This volume is a series of stories from Tarzan's youth about his growth and development into the role of "King of the Jungle." My rating: 7/10, finished 1974.
Travis
Oct 24, 2009 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice collection of short stories all about when Tarzan was a young boy, growing up in the jungle. Guess that makes this a prequel to 'Tarzan of the apes.
More low key than the usual Tarzan novel. Smaller stories that mix adventure and character moments. One of the best of the series.
Linds
Apr 30, 2009 Linds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a prequel to Tarzan #1. The author's blatant racism regarding "uncivilized" Africans aside, this is one of my favorite Tarzan books. He's unsocialized and completely alone in the jungle before he makes contact with the greater world.
  • The Book of Q
  • The Evil Genius
  • The Burrowers Beneath
  • Breakheart Hill
  • Beowulf and the Critics (Medieval & Renaissance Texts & Studies, Vol. 248)
  • Gli uccelli di Bangkok
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan: The Land That Time Forgot
  • Silver (Ogmios Team Adventure #1)
  • Grantchester Grind (Porterhouse Blue, #2)
  • Daughter of God
  • The Thieves Of Heaven
  • Beyond the Blonde
  • Tarzan Alive: A Definitive Biography of Lord Greystoke (Wold Newton #1)
  • Land of Always-Night (Doc Savage #13)
  • Conan the Valorous
  • No mires debajo de la cama
  • The Midnight Love Feast
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.
More about Edgar Rice Burroughs...

Tarzan (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Tarzan of the Apes (Tarzan, #1)
  • The Return of Tarzan (Tarzan, #2)
  • The Beasts of Tarzan (Tarzan, #3)
  • The Son of Tarzan (Tarzan, #4)
  • Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar (Tarzan, #5)
  • Tarzan the Untamed (Tarzan, #7)
  • Tarzan the Terrible (Tarzan, #8)
  • Tarzan and the Golden Lion (Tarzan, #9)
  • Tarzan and the Ant Men (Tarzan, #10)
  • Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle (Tarzan, #11)

“[The little black boy] had seen Tarzan bring down a buck, just as Numa, the lion, might have done... Tibo had shuddered at the sight, but he had thrilled, too, and for the first time there entered his dull, Negroid mind a vague desire to emulate his savage foster parent. But Tibo, the little black boy, lacked the divine spark which had permitted Tarzan, the white boy, to benefit by his training in the ways of the fierce jungle. In imagination he was wanting, and imagination is but another name for super-intelligence.

Imagination it is which builds bridges, and cities, and empires. The beasts know it not, the blacks only a little, while to one in a hundred thousand of earth's dominant race it is given as a gift from heaven that man may not perish from the earth.”
3 likes