Start by marking “Edward in the Jungle” as Want to Read:
Edward in the Jungle

Edward in the Jungle

Bookish young Edward spends all of his free time reading anything he can get hold of. One day whilst reading in his favourite spot he becomes so absorbed that he fails to notice a crocodile coming right at him. What happens next will inspire the imagination of every reader, young and old
Published April 1st 2002 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Edward in the Jungle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edward in the Jungle

CM
Oct 31, 2015 CM rated it liked it

I read this at the library while my nephew was doing puzzles. It's really adorable, short, and yet it had a good depth to it about dreams, kindness, and being strong even when you're unsure about yourself.
That said, it's not preachy or anything, and the story has a good flow to it, with a good art style that supports the story well.
Yossi Gremillion
I love the illustrations but the story was a bit preachy. I wouldn't recommend but it's still a helluva lot better than Michael Chabon's The Yiddish Policeman's Union and they are COMPLETELY different in genre.
Matthew
Feb 01, 2012 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Wonderful story that honors how Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan can capture the imagination of a boy. Equally good are McPhail's Santa's Book of Names, which introduces Edward, and Edward and the Pirates, which is another Edward literature-inspired adventure.
Jessica P.
This is a bout a boy named Edward, who loves to read. He reads about Tarzan, and suddenly he is "lost" in the jungle with Tarzan and the animals. Great to share with kids to talk about love of reading.
Sandy
May 25, 2010 Sandy rated it really liked it
This was a fun book to read to kindergartners. We talked about dreams, then we talked about animals in Tarzan's jungle, then I gave them a paper with a picture of a tree on it and they drew pictures of critters we could find in our neighborhood.
Karen
Sep 08, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
Yelling like Tarzan was way fun -- until the dog got upset. This isn't a bad book; it just isn't a great book. I did, however, like the crocodile -- very much.
Karen
Apr 17, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
While going through our books to downsize, Jacob wanted to stop and read this one. I love snatching these moments with my kids to read a good book we had forgotten about.
Christine
Modern Fantasy.

A boy who imagines that he goes in the jungle and meets animals and Tarzan. Lesson - Teamwork.
Junessa
Mar 07, 2012 Junessa rated it really liked it
A boy with an imagination goes on an adventure in the jungle. Good pictures and easy to follow plot.
Kyle Miller
Kyle Miller rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2012
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2013
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Sadie
Sadie rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2013
Stacy
Stacy rated it liked it
May 24, 2010
Margaret
Margaret rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2012
Erroll Treslan
Erroll Treslan rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2011
Ami Steel
Ami Steel rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2009
Thepicturebookreview
Thepicturebookreview rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2014
Morgan Meyers
Morgan Meyers rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2012
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2010
Maria
Maria rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2007
Tara
Tara rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2013
Sofia
Sofia rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2013
Little
Little rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2012
Natalie Pietro
Natalie Pietro rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2012
Michelle Miller
Michelle Miller rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2012
Sarah Hartman
Sarah Hartman rated it it was ok
Apr 15, 2013
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2016
Cana
Cana rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2009
Kelly Reader
Kelly Reader rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
David was born in Newburyport, Massachusetts and attended the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. While there, he began illustrating. He is now an award-winning author and illustrator of nearly 200 books beloved by children, parents and librarians across the United States. McPhail has garnered many prestigious awards, including a New York Times Book Review Best Illustrated Book of the Year ...more
More about David McPhail...