Start by marking “Yu-Gi-Oh! Vol. 3: Capsule Monster Chess (Yu-Gi-Oh!, #3)” as Want to Read:
Yu-Gi-Oh! Vol. 3: Capsule Monster Chess (Yu-Gi-Oh!, #3)

Yu-Gi-Oh! Vol. 3: Capsule Monster Chess (Yu-Gi-Oh! (Viz Numbering) #3)

With the Millennium Scales and the Millennium Key, Shadi summons deadly illusions that, if Yugi can't successfully fight them, will kill his best friends. Later, Yugi and his friends discover the hidden characters in digital keychain pets, and Yugi meets Mokuba, Kaiba's brother, for a high-stakes game of "Capsule Monster Chess."
Published November 19th 2003 by VIZ Media LLC (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Yu-Gi-Oh! Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yu-Gi-Oh! Vol. 3

Kayla
Nov 27, 2015 Kayla rated it it was amazing
This volume contains the rest of Shadi's move to bring out the other Yugi and play his little 'Shadow' game; the prize is Anzu and if Yugi loses, she'll die. It is a test of weaknesses and strengths and in the end, after a stressful time, Yugi wins and manages to defeat Shadi because of the trust between friends.

The digital pets were cool! I was quite partial to the digital pets one - reminded me of Tamagotchis. I liked this little chapter as it gave insights to Yugi and his friends. A lot of c
Jerry
Jul 09, 2015 Jerry rated it liked it
A Quickie Review

Parts of this are what I would expect from Yu-Gi-Oh!: monster duels, Egyptian mythology, etc. I was also glad to see Mokuba, another character from the anime, get introduced. However, some parts--especially the bit about the virtual pet--were just weird and unnecessary. Fans of the franchise may be disappointed by those sequences, even if they like the others.

Content Concerns:

Jun 23, 2016 Monicaaa rated it liked it
Mokuba is scary.
Jesse
Oct 11, 2014 Jesse rated it liked it
I think an altercation in this volume perfectly sums up the delightful madness of this series. Normally when a character in a story gets brainwashed and forced to try and kill their friends it results in a "How can we stop our brainwashed buddy from hurting us without them?" scenario. They'll subsequently try to trap or somehow bind their friend to prevent them from harming themselves or others. But not in Yu-gi-oh. No, here they beat the everloving crap out of their poor friend.

So later, when t
Lyndsay-ann Stewart
May 01, 2014 Lyndsay-ann Stewart rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga-comic
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the previous two. Though it finished off the Shadi story line, which was great and really well done, each chapter in the rest of the book was of random other stories, covering various other games and comics. Though I guess this does show how Yugi and Dark Yugi becomes/is the King of Games.

In Vol 2 they introduce us to Seto Kaiba, and at the end of this one we get to meet his little brother Mokuba. Compared to how I remember him in the tv series as a sweet innoc
Seamaiden
Sep 17, 2016 Seamaiden rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-comics
There were some pretty cool moments in this one and some pretty creepy ones, once again. I think I liked this one more than the two previous ones, even though I didn't like seeing the Egyptian guy being the bad guy (well, he was challenging Yugi but the way was totally unacceptable). I finally accepted the manga is completely different than the Anime. The capsule monster chess for example, with Mokuba was unexpected. I wouldn't say the two brothers, Seto and Mokuba,are my favorite characters but ...more
Cassiopeia's Moon
Dec 16, 2013 Cassiopeia's Moon rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Well, we didn't really get any answers to what kind of powers the Millennium Puzzle actually has, but we were introduced to Mokuba, Seto Kaiba's younger brother.
Mokuba in the anime (not season 0) is such a cute kid and that's the image I've got of him.

So now when he appeared in this book I was like Mokuba!! <3 I had totally forgotten his personality from season 0.

Completely different different characters, and I have to sat that Mokuba in both the manga and Season 0 is freaking me out. He ju
Bo G Cheetham
Sep 12, 2016 Bo G Cheetham rated it really liked it
Shadi traps Yugi and his friends in the monster world, in order to save his friends he has to beat Shadi and zorark, and if he fails his friends will die. I thought that this was a really good book it has a lot of action and battling. The game rules are very confusing to me though. :/
Дени Проданова
Apr 30, 2015 Дени Проданова rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-and-manhwa
Явно идиотизма е семейна черта на клана Кайба. Малкия брат е също толкова нагъл като големия и отнесе наказание за което. А някой може ли да ми обясни, защо всички забелязват трансформацията на Юги, обаче всички си траят?
Danielle Riggs
Aug 16, 2016 Danielle Riggs rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
I feel like we went backwards here. I wanted more card games and instead I got Tamagotchis and chess. The art style is still a bit odd but the story is still charming.
Sarah Maddaford
I hope we see more of Shadi. Even though he was a pain for Yugi to deal with, I know he has more cool back story. I am also quite certain that his back story has something to do with "dark" Yugi's back story. The Capsule Monster Chess was an interesting game, but it was a bit unbelievable. I just can't imagine a beginner (even a king of games) knowing so much about each individual monster when the champion didn't. It was still a decent read though.
Same level of language and violence, along with
Emma Larsson
Feb 28, 2015 Rebecca Sneade rated it liked it
getting better
Rylan Rosa
May 12, 2015 Rylan Rosa rated it did not like it
The book Yu-Gi-Oh! volume 3 is an amazing exciting book written by the author Kazuki Takahashi. this book is a fiction/fantasy book that is the third book in the series of Yu-Gi-Oh!. I rcommend this book to all my friends ad Yu-Gi-Oh readers and players also comic fiction/ fantasy readers.
Bryce
May 11, 2010 Bryce rated it really liked it
Seeing Shadi and Yugi go against each other was certainly great, but I did not care about Mokuba's entrance.
Sue
A friend gave this to me. I don't read this series. Like new,but not in shrink wrap.
Lauren
I have seen the anime, but I found this better. I liked Duke in this a lot.
The Lonely Angel
Apr 14, 2011 The Lonely Angel rated it it was amazing
OMG! i love these books! i know what i want for christmas!!!
Devon
Nov 05, 2012 Devon rated it liked it
Shelves: own
i used to like this.
Yuka Muntou
I LOVE IT
Joseph Nosack
Joseph Nosack rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Flameq
Flameq marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Jadawn Taylor
Jadawn Taylor rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
Saya
Saya rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
Grace
Grace rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2016
The Treeman
The Treeman rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Mario Solis Bermudez
Mario Solis Bermudez marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Marshall
Marshall rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2016
  • Yu Yu Hakusho, Volume 5: Focus Your Mind as One! (Yu Yu Hakusho, #5)
  • Angelic Layer, Vol. 2 (Angelic Layer, #2)
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena, Vol. 4: To Bud
  • InuYasha: Love and Lust (InuYasha, #18)
Takahashi started as a mangaka in 1982. His first work was Tokiō no Tsuma (闘輝王の鷹), published in 1990. One of his earliest works was Tennenshokudanji Buray (天然色男児BURAY), which lasted for two volumes and was published from 1991 to 1992. Takahashi did not find success until 1996 when he created Yu-Gi-Oh!
More about Kazuki Takahashi...

Yu-Gi-Oh! (Viz Numbering) (7 books)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh!, Vol. 1: The Millenium Puzzle (Yu-Gi-Oh!, #1)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Vol. 2: The Cards With Teeth (Yu-Gi-Oh!, #2)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Vol. 4: Kaiba's Revenge (Yu-Gi-Oh!, #4)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Vol. 5: The Heart of the Cards (Yu-Gi-Oh!, #5)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Vol. 6: Monster Fight! (Yu-Gi-Oh!, #6)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Vol. 7: Monster World (Yu-Gi-Oh!, #7)

“Get your filthy hands off the puzzle, you little brats!” 7 likes