Start by marking “Yu-Gi-Oh!, Vol. 1: The Millenium Puzzle (Yu-Gi-Oh!, #1)” as Want to Read:
Yu-Gi-Oh!, Vol. 1: The Millenium Puzzle (Yu-Gi-Oh!, #1)

Yu-Gi-Oh!, Vol. 1: The Millenium Puzzle (Yu-Gi-Oh! (Original Numbering) #1)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  7,801 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
10th grader Yugi spent most of his time alone playing games... until he solved the Millennium Puzzle, a mysterious Egyptian artifact! Possessed by the puzzle, Yugi becomes Yu-Gi-Oh, the King of Games, and challenges evildoers to the Shadow Games... weird games with high stakes and high risks! These graphic novels contain new stories not seen in the anime, including the ori ...more
Published May 7th 2003 by VIZ Media (first published December 16th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Yu-Gi-Oh!, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Danii There's 7 in the 'Season Zero' manga equivalent, 24 in Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist which carries on from the first 7 and covers Duelist Kingdom/Battle City ect,…moreThere's 7 in the 'Season Zero' manga equivalent, 24 in Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist which carries on from the first 7 and covers Duelist Kingdom/Battle City ect, and then 7 for Yu-Gi-Oh! Millennium World. So 38 in total.(less)
Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
134th out of 860 books — 3,265 voters
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaNaruto, Vol. 01 by Masashi KishimotoBleach, Volume 01 by Tite KuboOne Piece, Volume 01 by Eiichiro Oda
Best Manga of All Time
38th out of 310 books — 620 voters

More lists with this book...

Wart Hill
Aug 11, 2016 Wart Hill rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, in-translation
might've been a three star read except for that last chapter. mostly it was pretty meh but intriguing also, so I will probably read the next
Dec 08, 2010 Marissa_san121 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, favorites
Who here thinks America should have done season 0? *raises hand* Who here thinks that we would have messed it up?*raises hand*...Curse you 4kids. All in all, one of the best eva!
Jul 08, 2015 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Good: I used to watch Yu-Gi-Oh! on Kids' WB when I was in high school; however, this manga shows the origins of the characters, something that was never revealed in the American version of the anime. It's fun to see the early years of Yugi, Tristan, Joey, and Téa, and the artwork within this volume is well done. It even features fun bonuses such as a maze and two picture puzzles. Fans of the cartoon will find plenty to enjoy about this, but...

The Bad: This isn't quite the franchise as we've
Oct 08, 2014 Jesse rated it liked it
Have you ever wanted to see a young boy with crazy hair gain magical Egyptian Pharaoh powers and use them to play ridiculously twisted games with various thugs? Probably not, but sometimes the best things are the ones you didn't even know you wanted.

While most people have seen the wonderful absurdity of the Yu-Gi-Oh cartoon, much fewer have taken a look at the comic. And they're missing out because believe it or not the show actually toned done the absurdity level of the original. ESPECIALLY in
Sep 24, 2015 Gusfina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
--- Yu-Gi-Oh! 1-38---
Plot: Ala komik cowok, antara ringan dan normal-- tapi menyenangkan untuk saya^^
Gambar: Ok
Penokohan: Ok

....Saya masih agak bingung tapi baiklah, meski sedikit malu-malu-- tapi saya akan jujur kalau saya menikmati membaca komik ini. Saya menikmati betapa klise plotnya kadang-kadang sampai entah mengapa saya malu-malu sendiri membacanya dan... pokoknya saya menikmatinya. Saya membaca komiknya saat saya masih kecil (apa SD-ya? atau SMP?), dan saya menikmatinya sampai sekarang.
Dec 20, 2007 ExterminationXIII rated it really liked it
Yu-Gi-Oh! Volume one is about the adventures and strugles of a boy named Yugi and his friends, Jonouchi, Honda, and Anzu. This series is also a japanese (not released in america) T.V. series. It doesn't have much dueling (card game), like the american version does. This book is the first of seven Yu-Gi-Oh books. The eigth is a whole new series, Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist, which is more like the american Yu-Gi-Oh T.V. series.

The author's purpose was to show that even the wimpiest of kids can be heroes (th
David Dougall
Apr 12, 2013 David Dougall rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, manga
Yugi has no nose. But Yami has a nose...I don't really get it.
It was awesome.
Minh Nhân Nguyễn
Sep 19, 2016 Minh Nhân Nguyễn rated it really liked it
4 sao

Bộ này theo mình phần giữa là hay nhất. Phần đầu nét vẽ và nội dung chưa định hình, còn phần cuối thì có phần lặp lại và dễ đoán. Kỷ niệm với Yugioh đối với mình cũng nhiều và đẹp, vượt qua ngoài khuôn khổ của một cuốn truyện thông thường, là một thời say sưa sắp đặt các bộ bài theo các chiến thuật yêu thích trong game, là thói gom góp bài để đánh với bạn bè ngoài đời :). Kim đồng đang ra lại bộ này theo nguyên gốc, trình bày khá đẹp, lại thêm một bộ truyện níu kéo mình quay về thời sưu tầm
Sep 16, 2016 Seamaiden rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-comics
I grew up with Yugioh and recently started rewatching it with my little cousin. So, I was like, let's read the manga too. I will refer to the characters with the names we used in the Greek dub (I believe the English dub uses the same names). I personally prefer the anime. The way Yugi's alter ego is drawn in the manga is creepy. Also, the punishments...they are...not what I expected. I also liked better the way the friendships started in the anime. What I liked about the manga is the little touc ...more
Cassiopeia's Moon
Dec 16, 2013 Cassiopeia's Moon rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
A few months ago I started watching Yu-Gi-Oh! the anime, both the original one (which follows the manga) and the the one mainly about Duel Monsters, and I thought "This anime is good, I want to read the manga." So now I've finished the first volume.

In this first volume we get to know the main characters and get a glimpse of what the Millennium Puzzle can do. This is the back story you don't get by only watching the "Duel-Monsters-Yu-Gi-Oh!".

(view spoiler)
Nov 27, 2015 Kayla rated it it was amazing
This wasn't what I was expecting; here i was thinking it was would be like the anime with people battling it out with cards at every which way but no, the first volume was nothing like that.

In the first volume, we learn how Yugi, a 10th grader, meets his friends and how he solves the Millenium puzzle. But solving the puzzle came with someone who Yugi doesn't know: the King of Games, who challenges bad and evil people to things known as 'Shadow Games' to deal out their punishment. So, after puni
Sarah Maddaford
I don't remember the "dark" Yugi being so creepy in the anime (and I saw the Japanese version). He gets this look on his face that reminds me of dolls and clowns and other things you don't want to see right before you go to sleep. I do remember the Shadow Games though. Mostly they are fairly justified, although you can imagine that some one without magic would have a great deal more difficulty enacting any punishment on these kind of people much less a fitting one.
The language and violence may b
Danzel Hankerson
Sep 09, 2015 Danzel Hankerson rated it it was amazing
The very first Yu-Gi-Oh! story is very funny. The scenarios Yugi and his get into is so far fetch that you can not take this seriously. That's pretty f***ed up Yugi.
Jun 18, 2016 Monicaaa rated it liked it
Fix Joey's hair.
Ben Nealis
Oct 19, 2016 Ben Nealis rated it really liked it
OK book.
Sep 25, 2016 Pi rated it really liked it
I can't help liking this. It isn't Death Note, but it is definitely one of my favourites.
Jul 12, 2014 Lissibith rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, manga
You might have heard of Yu Gi Oh through pop culture. It's not only a children's card game, it's also an anime and manga about people playing a children's card game, not to mention the abridged series on the internet.

This is not that. Well... it's a precursor.

In its first incarnation, the Yu Gi Oh manga concerned itself with games of all kinds, made deadly by the magic of an ancient Egyptian puzzle and the spirit housed within it. (Fictional Ancient Egypt - always out to get you. Always). While
Natasha McNeely
Dec 29, 2011 Natasha McNeely rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, reviewed
My review may be a bit biased, as this is both my favorite anime and manga. I have watched this for years and not a day goes by that I don't think about it.

This manga, and the accompanying anime, are what inspired my interest in mythology over a decade ago.

This is the first volume of, what in the anime, is called Season 0, which was only shown in Japan. It does not tie directly into the original series and things were changed between these seven volumes and the original series.

This is also the r
Sep 16, 2016 Yoshi rated it it was amazing
One of the best manga I have ever read.
Dallan Tucker
Feb 20, 2014 Dallan Tucker rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-1-12
In ancient Egypt, pharaohs used the power of dark magic to dispense justice to the evil through Shadow Games. In the modern day, high school student Yugi Mutoh has in his possession the Millennium Puzzle, an artifact from this ancient time that contains the spirit of an all-powerful pharaoh. Upon completion of the puzzle, Yugi awakens Yami, the spirit of the pharaoh, and unknowingly becomes his vessel. Now, whenever evil and injustice are encountered by Yugi, the pharaoh awakens, and uses his ma ...more
Aslak Cornelis
Apr 13, 2015 Aslak Cornelis rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Though it doesn't have anything to do with the card game we've come to love this first installment is a really fun ride. It centers on a schoolboy named Yugi who solves an ancient puzzle and starts regularly being possesed by a spirit from ancient Egypt with a fetish for playing games with dire consequences. The chapters are called "battles" as each one centers around a new game and storyline (To a degree. Character relationships and a couple of other things carry over). It is a lot darker than ...more
Kurami Rocket
Jan 05, 2016 Kurami Rocket rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
This was a solid start to a good and famous anime. Now, if you guys are expecting this manga to be like the anime, you are mistaken. The manga doesn't become like the anime until Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist Vol. 1. This first vol introduces all of the characters. If you've seen season 0, then this is basically how the first 7 volumes of the manga will play out. Of course, the manga is definitely more violent than its anime counterpart.

A lot of people have found Yami to be scary in these 1st volumes, but pe
Jan 05, 2015 Corey rated it it was amazing
The beginning of this series Yu-Gi-Oh stars a young boy named Yugi who has a puzzle that he trys to solve. He tried to solve the puzzle when he was at least 5 years old. Throughout trying to solve the puzzle in school he starts to be bullied by one of his classmate. His classmate starts to get beat up and Yugi defends him. The bully ends up becoming one if his closest friends and he has solved the puzzle.

I gave the first part of this series 5 stars because it gives us an introduction on what y
Delicious Strawberry
Nov 06, 2012 Delicious Strawberry rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderfully-done manga, especially considering that back then in the early 2000's, a lot of manga were getting mangled in translation when being brought here to the USA. I bought this when YGO was still a fresh show on TV, with Pegasus as the main bad guy and all. But the manga is actually so much better than the anime. When I read it, I was impressed with how much more 'mature' the manga was in way of violence, threats and the like (I do understand that the anime was cut before it cam ...more
May 20, 2013 Sandymom rated it really liked it
I have always been,and still am a huge Yu-Gi-Oh fan, however, books 1-7 or known as (Season 0) is not my most favorite season of Yu-Gi-Oh.
This series and season is a bit to dark for some as it was for me, when I was younger. however picking back up years later I could see why I had such issues as well as some parents...
I found Yami-Yugi to be a bit too creepy, and rather psycho at times, and his methods of punishment rather cruel (not that the enemies didn't deserve it)
But nearly burning down a
Moriah Venable
Oct 02, 2015 Moriah Venable rated it it was amazing
I remember watching Yugioh when I was younger. The theme is song is what I rmemeber the most. I was at the library one day and thought I should start the manga.

Yugi Mutou is a sophmoroe who lives with my Mom and Grandfather. He is short for his age and constantly gets picked on. He doesn't have many friends either. Except for Anzu, who in my opinion has the same opinion of him as everyone else in that school.

After eight years of trying to finish a puzzle, which is the 3,000 year old Millennium
S. J.
Sep 05, 2012 S. J. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Manga fans, urban fantasy fans, fans of the show
Recommended to S. by: Not sure
Since it has been too long since I read this, I can't give my full review treatment. So, here's my best shot.

If you enjoyed the show, I strongly urge you to pick up this volume and give the manga a shot. This book covers the legendary "Season 0" which was never brought over to America because they were unable to make it palatable for the age level they dumbed the show down to. Let me be really honest here, the Yu-Gi-Oh you watched as a kid is not the real show. They cut it, butchered it, and if
Aug 18, 2013 Abbi rated it it was amazing
If you didn't like the anime, you're going to love the manga! It's a story a high schooler named Yugi who has been trying to complete the Millenium Puzzle for eight years. One night, when he finally finishes the puzzle, he gets possessed by an ancient spirit with a gambling addiction. From then on, Yugi starts challenging bullies and villans to various games. These challenges range from the silence game to grill hockey. The losers are then subjected to unusual and suprisingly creative punishment ...more
random word 1 3 Sep 12, 2014 08:16AM
Shounen Manga Boo...: Yu-Gi-Oh! Discussion 1 9 Dec 01, 2013 11:57AM
Ms. Bassett's P1A...: NEW REVIEW!! 1 2 Dec 05, 2012 07:15AM
  • Yu Yu Hakusho, Volume 2: Lonesome Ghost (Yu Yu Hakusho, #2)
  • Shaman King, Vol. 1: A Shaman in Tokyo
  • The Prince of Tennis, Volume 1: Ryoma Echizen (The Prince of Tennis, #1)
  • Angelic Layer, Vol. 1 (Angelic Layer, #1)
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Volume 03
  • InuYasha: A Warrior's Code (InuYasha, #10)
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 1: The Monkey King (Dragon Ball, #1)
  • Case Closed, Vol. 1
Takahashi started as a mangaka in 1982. His first work was Tokiō no Tsuma (闘輝王の鷹), published in 1990. One of his earliest works was Tennenshokudanji Buray (天然色男児BURAY), which lasted for two volumes and was published from 1991 to 1992. Takahashi did not find success until 1996 when he created Yu-Gi-Oh!
More about Kazuki Takahashi...

Yu-Gi-Oh! (Original Numbering) (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Vol. 2: The Cards With Teeth (Yu-Gi-Oh!, #2)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Vol. 3: Capsule Monster Chess (Yu-Gi-Oh!, #3)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Vol. 4: Kaiba's Revenge (Yu-Gi-Oh!, #4)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Vol. 5: The Heart of the Cards (Yu-Gi-Oh!, #5)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Vol. 6: Monster Fight! (Yu-Gi-Oh!, #6)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Vol. 7: Monster World (Yu-Gi-Oh!, #7)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist, Vol. 1:  Duelist Kingdom (Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist, #1)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh!: Duelist, Vol. 2: The Puppet Master (Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist, #2)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh!: Duelist, Vol. 3: The Player Killer (Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist, #3)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh!: Duelist, Vol. 4: Dungeon of Doom (Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist, #4)

“The rules are simple!” 6 likes
“Those who trespass in others' souls will always get burned in the end.” 3 likes