Start by marking “The Horse-Tamer (The Black Stallion, #14)” as Want to Read:
The Horse-Tamer (The Black Stallion, #14)

The Horse-Tamer (The Black Stallion #14)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  1,386 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
While waiting for a delayed airplane, old Henry Dailey, the Black's trainer, tells young Alec Ramsay a story of his own youth, travelling with his brother, Bill. Bill Dailey's talent as a horse-whisperer was unmatched in the days before the automobile and young Henry tells of an unscrupulous con-man who mistreats horses into behaving temporarily. Bill is determined to show ...more
Published March 12th 1980 by Yearling Books (first published January 1st 1958)

To ask other readers questions about The Horse-Tamer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Horse-Tamer

Peter
Apr 28, 2012 Peter rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
First, a note: I will never try to use my Nook to write a book review again. I had written quite a long review - not easy on the Nook's touch-screen, which is not well-laid-out and lacks a number of conveniences which are standard on other Android devices - only to make the slightest mis-touch and lose EVERYTHING. That's incredibly annoying.

That said, The Horse Tamer is part of Walter Farley's Black Stallion series, and it's both charming and memorable. Bracketed by short passages featuring Alec
Anne Osterlund
Apr 17, 2009 Anne Osterlund rated it really liked it
Bill Dailey is a horseman. He tames the wildest horses brought before him. Horses no one else can touch. Horses that bite and kick and have been locked in their stalls for years. And he does all this in a matter of minutes.

But he doesn’t use tricks. Doesn’t sell potions. Or whisper in the horses’ ears. Or turn his lessons into a show.

And when Finn Casperson threatens Bill's morality, it may be the greatest challenge either has ever faced.

My final Black Stallion book (sigh—how sad!). I skipped ov
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 Bonnie rated it it was ok
The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt
The Island Stallion Races
The Black Stallion's Courage
The Black Stallion Mystery
The Horse-Tamer (all by Walter Farley)

I stepped away from my re-read of this series as I just knew the two books listed first were coming up. Even as a child I never cared for the books without Alec and the Black. These two (Sulky Colt and Island Stallion Races) were even worse than I remembered. I wonder if The Island Stallion Races is what turned me off of sci-fi. The Black Stalli
Wendy
This one was something different, only barely attached to the Black Stallion chronology, and I think that's why I liked it. I was ready for something a little different, and this fit the bill quite nicely.

It has a slightly Marguerite Henry-ish tone, partly because it's not about a 'super-horse', although it's not as charming as her tales. A pretty good little story that breaks up the same-old, same-old routine of the main series.
Faithann
Jan 29, 2015 Faithann rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
This book really had nothing to do with The Black Stallion, but was a story about Henry Dailey's older brother. Bill Dailey was a carriage maker and his father sent Henry to stay with him for the summer to learn the craft. What Henry ended up learning was the art of horse taming, as Bill came into his true calling.
Serena
Jan 09, 2013 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, 20th-century

My Rating System:
Rena Sherwood
This was a strange interlude in the Black Stallion series. The Black has nothing to do with it -- it's just a really long ramble from Henry. I think this is the only Black Stallion book with illustrations in the paperback version. These "horse-taming" methods seem awful brutal by today's standards.
Rochelle
Apr 16, 2009 Rochelle rated it liked it
Not the best for horsey people but drops in some nice period history. I can't imagine a kid even liking this book.
Kate
I remember being very reluctant to read this book. It wasn't really part of the Black Stallion series; in fact I think was a biography of sorts. Anyhow, not my favorite.
Lori
Mar 04, 2011 Lori rated it it was ok
The first book was the story of a boy and a horse, but the series grows with books on similar themes of overcoming adversity and animal/human bonding. Loved them as a kid.
Anne
Sep 30, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it
What's not to like about Walter Farley and my favourite horse series (even now)
Sharon
Jan 09, 2010 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood, horses
I stormed through this series. I made a beeline for the "F" section for a month's worth of library visits, until I had read the whole series.
Heidi
Nov 05, 2010 Heidi rated it really liked it
This book was very entrapping. Good read!
Great little short story set in Henry's past. It richly illustrates an issue of a bygone age.
Jessica Timmons
Jul 07, 2011 Jessica Timmons rated it it was amazing
Definately a book to read. It just goes to show that there are ways to train horse's that doesn't involve pain, suffering and abuse. Plus you can rid a horse of bad habits.
Eleisha Luck
Aug 21, 2007 Eleisha Luck rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
one of my favs.
Jessica
Mar 09, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Farley's autobiographical stories about his older brother, a horse trainer.
Grace Johnson
Grace Johnson rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2014
Taylor
Taylor rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2008
Valorie
Valorie rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2012
Stacey
Stacey rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2008
Valerie Strickland
Valerie Strickland rated it liked it
May 21, 2014
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Brandi
Brandi rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2014
Davita Baker
Davita Baker rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2011
Trinity
Trinity rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2014
Lora Smith
Lora Smith rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2013
SometimesIWonder
SometimesIWonder rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Mika Mckeena
Mika Mckeena rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2011
  • The Black Stallion's Steeplechaser (Black Stallion Returns, #2)
  • San Domingo: The Medicine Hat Stallion
  • Cindy's Honor (Thoroughbred, #23)
  • Thunderhead (Flicka, #2)
  • Outlaw Red
  • Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Walter Farley's love for horses began when he was a small boy living in Syracuse, New York, and continued as he grew up in New York City, where his family moved. Young Walter never owned a horse. But unlike most city children, he had little trouble gaining firsthand experience with horses-his uncle was a professional horseman, and Walter spent much of his time at the stables with him.

"He wasn't th
More about Walter Farley...

The Black Stallion (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)
  • Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)
  • The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4)
  • The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)
  • The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)
  • The Island Stallion's Fury (The Black Stallion, #7)
  • The Black Stallion's Filly (The Black Stallion, #8)
  • The Black Stallion Revolts (The Black Stallion, #9)
  • The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (The Black Stallion, #10)