Start by marking “Piggins” as Want to Read:
Piggins

Piggins (Piggins)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Piggins the butler solves the mysterious disappearance of Mrs. Reynard’s diamond lavaliere with the help of a delightful set of characters. “One of a kind--and sure to provide a great deal of fun for many readers and listeners.”--School Library Journal
Published February 28th 1992 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Piggins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Piggins

If You Give a Pig a Pancake by Laura Joffe NumeroffThe True Story of the 3 Little Pigs by Jon ScieszkaOlivia by Ian FalconerThe Three Pigs by David WiesnerMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra Boynton
Picture Books About Pigs
28th out of 140 books — 76 voters
Fox by Margaret WildThe Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck by Beatrix PotterThe Tomten and the Fox by Astrid LindgrenRosie's Walk by Pat HutchinsMy Lucky Day by Keiko Kasza
Picture books about foxes
57th out of 86 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
What a delight! In an elegant stately home, faithful butler Piggins serves up not only a fine pot of tea, but the sage detective skills needed to solve a mystery when a jewel is stolen at a dinner party.

I love house party mysteries, and I love the upstairs/downstairs aspect to the story. The illustrations are just so cute and full of lovely period detail mixed with the whimsy of the cast of animal characters, from alligators to hedgehogs. I thought the pacing could have been a bit better, but ov
Suzanne
Jane Yolen wrote this with "Upstairs, Downstairs" (the Masterpiece Theater) series in mind. Piggins, the butler, solves a mystery with the help of the rest of the staff. What really makes this special are the beautiful and humorous illustrations of Jane Dyer.
Lisa Vegan
Nov 10, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn & Chandra
I cannot emphasize enough how much I detested the illustrations of the various animal characters: pig, rats, turtle, foxes, rabbit, dog, yes dog, etc. I actually had to look away at times in order to enjoy the other parts of the illustrations and the story. I didn’t find them aesthetically pleasing; I thought they were ugly.

The illustrations of the rooms and their contents, and the outdoor scene, those I really enjoyed. It was fun to view all the details in the pictures.

The story is just somewha
Phally Pech
Piggins tells the story of Butler who possess the talent to be the perfect butler. Piggins work at an elegant household and is amazing at what he does. In a rich household, crime and theft are prone to happen, and it is up to Piggins to solve the crime. Piggins pays great attention to detail and knows everything that goes on in his household.

I really enjoyed following the mystery of what happen in this elegant setting. The story is very delightful and the illustration is so cute and phenomenal.
Cameron Devaughn
This is a charming concept of mystery novels such as those written by Agatha Christe. This is a classical mystery set in the olden times. In this story though, the butler most certainly did not do it as it is the butler who solves the mystery. The characters in this story are all English animals dressed in typical clothing of that era. The illustrator Jane Dyer did a wonderfully detailed and colorful job in this story. Each of the animals more or less portrays an individual who perfectly matches ...more
Andrea Thomas, Greenville
A great and fun book to read aloud to students. It has great vocabulary words and could be used to teach students how to use context clues in reading.
Ashley
I loved this book when I was a kid. I read it a million times!!
Kate
Jan 10, 2008 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone, regardless of age.
This book is the reason I became a huge reader.
Courtenay Cox
This is the first book in the Piggins series. This series is about a butler, who also happens to be a pig, that solves mysteries. There are three books in the series so far. The style of the pictures are Victorian.
Piggins serves Mr. and Mrs. Reynard, two foxes at 47 The Meadows. The book explains what goes on throughout the house before guests arrive in a comic book fashion layout. When the guests arrive, Mrs. Reynard’s diamond necklace goes missing and Piggins solves the mystery. Everything goe
Peyton Jay
This was a great mystery novel. There are so many ways that authors can make a so called "Mystery" novel, but Jane Yolen has definitely done it in a really fun and creative way. I loved that the butler, "Piggins" was the detective in this story and with the help of other friends along the way, he was able to solve the mystery. This is a great book that I think would grab the attention of a lot of younger readers.
Angela Marie
Piggins by jane Yolen tells the story of some expensive, mysterious gems that go missing at a dinner party. You are given clues throughout the context of the book and are expected to make inferences about who stole the necklace with the expensive gems on it. In the end the butler, Piggins, solves the mystery. This would be a great book for the 2nd and 3rd grade level students. A great lesson to go along with it could be to make inferences as the story is read. Students would have to give evide ...more
Linda Lipko
Piggins the pig is the butler for the Reynards, a very rich couple who are foxes.

Hosting a party, The Reynards greet guests as they arrive, each couple decked out in their finest.

The couples are depicted in humorous fashion.

Before the event, the Mrs. cannot find her lovely expensive necklace. Intimating that perhaps Piggins stole it,

when it is discovered, nary a word about their implied accusation.

When the dinner begins, the lights go out and when turned back again, it is discovered that Mrs. R
Brigid Keely
"Piggins," by Jane Yolen, is a Victorian-ish talking animal mystery that taps into a lot of the tropes and conventions of classic mystery novels and shows but in a format kids can and will appreciate. The eponymous Piggins is the very able Butler for the Reynard family. During a dinner party, Mrs Reynard's diamond lavalier is snatched. Who could have done it, and why? Is it because it's cursed, or are more mundane forces to blame? The book is very well written and stands up admirably to re-reads ...more
Mackenzie Stanley
Piggins was my favorite picture book series as a child. I loved the detail of the artwork and the sophistication of the characters, which is rare in a children's book.
Stacy
Piggins is the butler for the Reynards and he is a good butler. Piggins helps solve a mystery for his employers. A wonderful fun story.
Diana Pettis
I read this out loud to Xander tonight. Interesting story. I had to stop and explain some of the vocabulary to him.
Matthew
I have to admit, I found this one to be rather dissapointing primarily because it seemed like such a traditional who dunnit mystery story. Piggins played the astute butler in a story where on more than one occasion it was suggested that the butler did it. He not only played the traditional classy servant which seemed strangely Victorian, but he didn't stand up for himself against the fact that one of his two employers didn't even trust him. There are a few minor literary devices spinkled very li ...more
Shannon Janik
“Piggins” by Jane Yolen is a classic mystery picture book. “Piggins” tells the story of a butler named Piggins who is great at solving mysteries. Piggins uses his keen sense of judgment to figure out who had stolen the diamonds. This would be a great book to have students make their own parody of. Kids could have lots of fun choosing which animals to use and which clues to leave behind. Then, they could have other students trying to solve their mysteries from the clues they have provided.
Paul
Piggins is a full-service butler, who brings a steadiness that makes sure that the house and events run flawlessly, but also turns out to be an in-house detective who solves a crime. PIGGINS is a good example of a book, entirely populated with animals (although dressed like people and living in human environments), where all the characters come off as the "people" they portray.
Lisa Schwartz
I had fun solving the mystery in this story, so I believe that kids will have fun solving the mystery as you read the book to them. Part of the fun is looking at all the details in the drawings of the house. There are many things for a small child to look at. It is a great read and it keeps your attention the whole time.
Mikailah Shackleford
This book has very pretty and humorous illustrations that really help the story unfold. This is a fun book and something children could read for fun or in groups. Mr. piggins is the butler and must find a diamond and solve the mystery. It is a very fun book and i think that children would really enjoy it.
Ishta Mercurio
I liked this, but my kids weren't so hot on it, so I gave it 3 stars. It's clearly well-crafted in terms of story and weaving things together, and the illustrations are lush and full of detail, but I think it just took too long for anything to really happen.
Peggy
This one reminds me of "The Eleventh Hour" - a dinner party mystery that must be solved. Only this one spells out the solution at the end. It was little too complicated for my five-year old to figure out without some help, but he enjoyed it none-the-less.
Edna
In this story, when a diamond pendant disappears at a dinner party, don't take for granted that Piggins, the butler is the one who took it.

Good picture book for introducing the mystery genre to young children.
Jim
the first book i read by jane yolen was a brutal, fictional account of a nazi death camp. this book is about a pig butler (Piggins) and the family he works for.
makes me think ms yolen is a bit strange.
Cana
Mommy says: great detective story for little kids involving a very smart pig butler named, naturally, Piggins. Kids will love the detailed illustrations of the cutaway house.
Twilightsparkle
This is a mystery about the fox's necklace that has disappeared when the lights went out. This is one of my favorites to reread.
Todd
vary good book Piggins <---- book
Kara
very funny send up of the Edwardian mystery genre, done with a very interesting menagerie of characters
Alicia
Well....cute cover but the story inside is not very good. Both Tim and I were not impressed.
  • Summer Story
  • The Bunyans
  • The Sign of the Seahorse
  • Burt Dow, Deep-Water Man
  • McDuff and the Baby
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...
The Devil's Arithmetic  Owl Moon How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? Briar Rose Dragon's Blood