Start by marking “Animal Magnetism (Animal Magnetism, #1)” as Want to Read:
Animal Magnetism (Animal Magnetism, #1)

Animal Magnetism (Animal Magnetism #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  8,323 ratings  ·  679 reviews
Read Jill Shalvis's blogs and other content on the Penguin Community.

Co-owner of the town's only kennel, Lilah Young has lived in Sunshine, Idaho, all her life. Pilot-for-hire Brady Miller is just passing through. But he soon has Lilah abandoning her instincts and giving in to a primal desire.

It's Brady's nature to resist being tied down, but there's something about Lila
Published February 1st 2011 by Berkley

Win a Copy of This Book

• Animal Magnetism by Jill Shalvis
    Animal Magnetism (Animal Magnetism, #1)
    **Start from the beginning in Sunshine, Idaho with ANIMAL MAGNETISM by Jill Shalvis, book one in the series!**

Co-owner of the town's only kennel, Li…more
    Giveaway dates: Mar 03 - Mar 16, 2015
    15 copies available, 658 people requesting
    Countries available: US
  • Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Animal Magnetism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal Magnetism

A Lot like Love by Julie JamesBreaking Point by Pamela ClareHead Over Heels by Jill ShalvisShadowfever by Karen Marie MoningLover Unleashed by J.R. Ward
    Top 3 Romance Reads - 2011
    7th out of 610 books — 1,062 voters
    A Lot like Love by Julie JamesEleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart by Sarah MacLeanThe Perfect Play by Jaci BurtonCall Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsJust Like Heaven by Julia Quinn
    2011 Romance
    28th out of 385 books — 817 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa

4.5 Animal Loving Stars

“I’ve never been in love.”

They fell silent, and Lilah thought that was that.

“But you,” he finally said. “You, Lilah, scare the hell out of me.”

“Why?” she whispered.

He met her gaze and held it. “Because I could fall for you, Lilah. Hard and deep and never want to come back up.”

She could scarcely breathe. “What’s wrong with that?”

“We’d drown.”

Animal Magnetism is the first book in Jill Shalvis’ series that goes by the same name. This author is a master storyteller writing bo
    KatLynne
    A fun read full of hot steamy lovin' and a hero that is pure sin on a stick!

I love fierce and protective alpha heroes and Jill Shalvis has created one of my favorites! Brady Miller, Ex-Army Ranger, pilot and kisser extraordinaire!

Lilah Young is adorable. Independent, smart, loyal, fun, and very compassionate. Not only does she have a deep love of animals, she also loves her junk food:)

This story had all the elements needed to make it work for me and was such a fun read. What makes this a favorit
    ♡Karlyn P♡
    A light contemporary read with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments and a good dose of steam. It started a bit slow, and overall the story was quite predictable, but once the story got rolling and the clothes started falling, I was hooked. I may have had higher hopes for this story as I love the author's other series a bit more (Lucky Harbor), but while it didn't 'wow' me as much I still highly recommend it for a nice beach type read. So if you're in the mood for steamy fluff and a hot romance, this ...more
    Karla
    Very sweet, fun romance. Yummy men and cute animals, how can you go wrong?! Brady and Lilah were such an adorable couple, and wow, those two could burn up the sheets. A wonderful cast of secondary characters, a little bit of drama, lot's a sweet lovin', great setting and you have a typical Jill Shalvis romance, she never disappoints. I can't wait to get back to Sunshine, Idaho and read Dr. Dell and Jade's story
    Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
    I really liked this. It was so cute and charming. That's really the only way I can describe it.

Then the sex started .... And it's like it's all the same. It's all about her. He pleasures her with his mouth before they do it. The only times she's even touched his penis was during first sex scene when she rolled a condom on him. Then they do it in same position. Boring. And the scenes always from her pov. Maybe because the target audience is women?

As a gay man I found it too simple and repetitive
    Wendy
    This is a sweet, fun, light entertaining book, with lots of nice heat. Brady Miller is guaranteed to have your undies on fire in no time. He’s wickedly delicious, ex-Special Forces, military pilot who loves animals. *sigh* Enjoy!
    Calisto
    Mar 18, 2011 Calisto rated it 2 of 5 stars
    Recommends it for: Animal lovers with a lot of patience because nothing happens
    Sexy (pilot-for-hire - aka doesn't stay anywhere for very long) hero, Brady, goes to the small town of Sunshine to visit his foster brothers and meets the spunky, sensitive (she cries, for weeks, when she places pets in new homes) heroine with a heart of gold. Will he stick around this time? Will she finally get a break and overcome the ghosts of her past? (Actually that sounds more interesting than it is.) Will anything EVER happen in this book?

Well, the answer to the last question is...No. The
    Steffi
    Feb 01, 2011 Steffi rated it 5 of 5 stars
    Recommends it for: anyone who loves to laugh and wants to read a good romance novel
    5 stars for Animal Magnetism

When I first saw that cover I thought: mmmhh, a hot naked guy and a puppy, excuse me while I change my panties...

Actually, this is one of those books where the cover really fits the story.
    Brady Miller is on his way to Sunshine, Idaho to help out his brothers, when he meets Lilah, who works at the local kennel. They pretty much hit it off right away but on their way to happiness they still have a long way to go, especially as Brady doesn't really plan to stay in Su
    Carrie
    Sometimes all the stars align, and the right book comes along when you're in exactly the mood for it. I needed a warm, character-driven story full of charm and people you can care about, so I was delighted to pick up Animal Magnetism and find that it fit the bill. After a stressful week, spending time curled up with a hot cup of tea and this book was the perfect therapy.

I enjoyed Brady and Lilah, and I appreciate that Ms. Shalvis doesn't resort to the "big misunderstandings" or a contrived crisi
    Ana
    Lilah is one of the owners of the town's kennel. She was called "white trash" while she was growing up. That made her leave Sunshine, Idaho to go to college in Las Vegas. Bad decision. Now she has a full-time job and is studying for a degree, while barely keeping her head above the water financially. But now, she is one of the most loved people in Sunshine, which Brady, our hero finds out the hard way. :-)

Brady grew up in foster system and as a result he is a loner who doesn't let anyone get clo
    TJ
    Disclaimer
    The rating for this book is based solely on personal preference and not on any shortcomings in the writing or the author.

Jill Shalvis is an author many adore and have encouraged me to read. This was my first attempt and I'm afraid I may have picked up the wrong book to start with. The synopsis sounded perfect - right up my alley... small town love story between the owner of the local kennel and an ex-military pilot with lots of animals and humor added in. What's not to like, right? Th
    Kelly22
    4.00 Stars - Contemporary Romance

The first in this new series, Animal Magnetism , is a great start and is definitely a winner like any other Jill Shalvis book. Now this is the author who knows what she is doing and hence gifting us yet again another emotional and action-packed read of a novel. No surprise there!

The story sets back to Sunshine, Idaho, a small sunny town, where ex Army-Ranger and freelance war zone pilot Brady Miller is visiting his two foster brothers for a short time, before he
    Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
    ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 5 "QUACK, MEW, ARF" STARS ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

It was my first Jill Shalvis' book and I loved it!
    She had me at "Quack", page 3. This was one of the funniest and charming read I had in a long time! I definitely missed out for so long, but the good news is that I have lots of good times reading all her books, ahead of me!
    Nadia
    I've read two books before by Jill Shalvis, Double Play and Slow Heat, and both were mind-numbingly boring. Those two had put me in a scary book slump I had trouble getting out of.

So when GR recommended Animal Magnetism I was wary to say the least. But one look at that cover and I was sold. Screw the hunk (hehe), that puppy is a cheap shot! No one can say no to puppy eyes. So yeah, the puppy got to me and I started reading. But surprise, surprise, Animal Magnetism was nothing like Shalvis' prev
    Jane Stewart
    Not much plot which can be ok. Small town girl is dating a hot guy who’s hard to get. Lots of loving interaction with pets.

STORY BRIEF:
    Lilah left college to care for her grandmother until she died. Lilah has no other relatives. She turned her grandmother’s property into a kennel/animal shelter. Her neighbors are Dell and Adam, two attractive Native American guys who were brothers in the foster care system. Dell is a veterinarian. Adam trains search and rescue dogs. Adam also trains people with t
    ~E~ Riverina Romantics
    I just finished my first Jill Shalvis book and *sigh* it was oh so perfect.

I feel like I want to crawl between the pages and spend a lifetime in the romantic happiness.

Some readers aren’t a fan of contemporary romance and I can understand their reasons. Sometimes they lack the drama and excitement of paranormal or romantic suspense, but I have been craving contemporary lately and I have now found another fabulous author to stock my shelves with.

Although contemporary lacks some of the drawcard
    Gamze
    3.5 // Klasik bir Jill Shalvis romaniydi. Gerçi ben yazarın sadece Sırılsıklam Aşık kitabını okumuştum ama kaleminde sapma yok her kitabı aşağı yukarı aynı :) Güzeldi, insanı sıkmayan bir oturusta bitirebildiginiz türden. Zaten içinde hayvanlara sahip çıkan bir baş karakter olunca bir kitap nasıl kötü olabilir ki! Öyle yani tavsiye ederim bu tarz sevenlere ^_^
    Dee
    A light and fun romance. Typically Jill Shalvis in that it was extremely well written that flowed well and was easy to read. In the beginning we could feel the sexual tension between the characters and could completely understand why Lilah's panties always seemed to be damp when she thought of Brady ;) As soon as I had finished this I went to straight on to the next one and am also looking forward to reading the 3rd installment.

Ms Shalvis is one of the authors I consider to be an automatic buy/
    Hannah
    3.5 stars.

I read three novels by Jill Shalvis prior to this one, but Animal Magnetism is the first of her books that I have really enjoyed. After reading Animal Attraction (yes, I read the second book in this series first), I decided that Jill Shalvis was probably not the author for me. I hated the hero in that book, and the heroine got on my nerves too. But now I'll probably give Shalvis another chance, because Animal Magnetism was a fun read. The story didn't bore me, the characters didn't ann
    Guilty Pleasures
    I absolutely LOVED this book.

Brady is a loner, but oh so sexy, sensitive Alpha male. Lilah is a nuturer, but scared to love. Both Brady and Lilah survived difficult childhoods.

This book made me laugh, cry and want Brady and his sexiness for myself.

The chemistry between Lilah and Brady is HOT! The sex scenes are smokin. I love that there is a full fleshed story to go along with the sex scenes. I wouldn't classify this as erotic, but if erotic is rated X, this would be Rated R, with regular con
    Jaime Arkin
    So I'm totally late to the party on Jill Shalvis, but I have to thank my BFF for opening my eyes to contemporary romance books and how lovely they can be. Especially this author's writing.

I don't know how she does it, but I fall a little more in lust with each one of her characters than the last.

In Animal Magnetism, (yes, the cover is a bit cheesy and honestly probably why I stayed a way so long) We meet Lilah Young, the co-owner of the town of Sunshine's kennel and a bit scattered. The first t
    Saly
    Animal Magnetism is a sweet romance and the best part it has got animals and I adore them . Brady is someone who was sent from foster home to foster home and it hurt him so he became angry at the world, and he was tiny so he was picked on a lot. Finally, he made his way to Sol, in Idaho where he stayed until he joined the army along with two other "lost boys" Adam and Dell. Sol, gave Brady the freedom he needed and taught him how to take care of himself. Brady through hard-work became a pilot an ...more
    Splage
    Such a cute story and I loved it, but I have read many with a similar plot before; He is a loner with a harsh past, doesn't like to stay in one place, wants a no strings attached relationship; the heroine agrees, but it just isn't her nature and falls in love even though she knows she is going to have a broken heart. This is why I went with a 4 instead of a 5, if it was the first one I ever read with this plot it would have been a 5 star for sure.

Even though it is familiar it still touched me, c

Jacqueline
    3-1/2 stars maybe? I liked it but it seemed to drag a bit at the end. It was obvious to both the hero and the heroine that they were in love and he was starting to think about settling down but instead of ending there it dragged on. Still it was well written and fit the bill for a fairly lighthearted romance that I was needing.
    Mandi Schreiner
    Lilah Young who runs Sunshine Kennels in Sunshine, Idaho has a Jeep full of animals. A duck, some puppies and a pot bellied pig. She accidentally rear ends the truck in front of her because her hands are a bit full. Lilah is currently going to school to become a vet and is very low on funds. Her worthless Jeep won’t even start after the minor accident. The owner of the truck she hits is Brady Miller. Brady is back in Sunshine only for a brief visit. He is ex-Army and currently an independent pil ...more
    Tam
    Jill Shalvis and I have such an odd relationship. I'm a fan ... but I don't always like what she releases, yet I'd recommend her work in a heartbeat and I always read her new releases. Strange, right? This is an example of a story I didn't care too much for. I didn't dislike it but I needed to put it down at one point and I literally forgot about it. Then again, towards the end of the book (85% done) I start something else and forgot about it until Jill Shalvis released a new book and I was remi ...more
    Bri
    I can't believe it. I found a romance/erotica that I rated with 5 stars. Okay, so if I was picky, I'd say 4.5 because I'm a finicky bitch, but I'm rounding up.

I'll admit, I was really hesitant to start this book. For one thing, I'd done something really dumb and started with Jill's newest books and worked my way back. This got me hooked right away, but left me extremely disappointed with the last (and earliest) books of hers I read. Plus, the cover? And the title? I was skeptical, but it was on
    Duchess Nicole
    Nice quick, light contemporary. I'm a huge animal lover, so I adored all of the creatures. Any guy who can baby talk a kitten is okay in my book! The attraction between the H/h is immediate, but I really like how the love crept up on Brady. It really did seem to take him by surprise. They're both fighting the connection they feel, and though this is a common theme for romance, Ms. Shalvis really pulls it off here.
    ~Tina~
    Sexy-alpha males
    Steamy romance
    CHECK!
    Lady Heather
    Another GREAT story by Ms. Shalvis!

LOVED Brady & Lilah together... both broken and yet they have the most amazing hearts!

• Start Me Up (Tumble Creek, #2)
    • Don't Mess with Texas (Hotter In Texas, #1)
    • Naked Edge (I-Team, #4)
    • Sugar Creek (Destiny, #2)
    • Kiss Me, I'm Irish
    • Slow Ride (Fast Track, #5)
    • Yours to Keep (Kowalski Family, #3)
    • All I Ever Wanted
    • Lumberjack in Love
    • A Lot like Love (FBI/US Attorney, #2)
    • Breakfast in Bed (Domestic Gods, #3)
    • Knock Me Off My Feet
    • Suddenly You
    • Because of You (Coming Home, #1)
    • Dream Lake (Friday Harbor, #3)

Look for Jill's latest, ONE IN A MILLION, on shelves and e-readers now, and get all her bestselling, award-winning books wherever romances are sold.

Visit Jill's website fo
    More about Jill Shalvis...

Animal Magnetism (7 books)
    • Animal Attraction (Animal Magnetism, #2)
    • Rescue My Heart (Animal Magnetism, #3)
    • Rumor Has It (Animal Magnetism, #4)
    • Then Came You (Animal Magnetism, #5)
    • Still the One (Animal Magnetism, #6)
    • All I Want (Animal Magnetism, #7)
    Simply Irresistible (Lucky Harbor, #1) Head Over Heels (Lucky Harbor, #3) The Sweetest Thing (Lucky Harbor, #2) Lucky in Love (Lucky Harbor, #4) Forever and a Day (Lucky Harbor, #6)

“Beneath her cheek, his heart was thumping steadily. Definitely faster than his usual near-hibernation beat. Lifting her head, she flashed him a tight smile. “I get to you.”

“Are you kidding? You own me,” he said, his voice running over her like silk.”
    19 likes
    “He handed her the other half of his candy bar.
    She stared at it like it was a brick of gold. "I'm on a diet." But she took it. "A see-food diet, apparently. I see food and I eat it.”
    18 likes