Start by marking “Lost and Found: Heinrich Schliemann and the Gold That Got Away” as Want to Read:
Lost and Found: Heinrich Schliemann and the Gold That Got Away

Lost and Found: Heinrich Schliemann and the Gold That Got Away

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  7 reviews
One of the enduring stories of the last century--now front-page news again the world over--is the astounding 1873 discovery by the first modern archaeologist, Heinrich Schliemann, of the lost gold of Priam, king of ancient Troy. Here journalist and biographer Caroline Moorehead explores Schliemann's extraordinary life and examines how he contrived to smuggle a multitude of ...more
Published July 1st 1996 by Viking Books (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Lost and Found, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost and Found

Hasan
Ce sont les récentes recherches archéologiques du Professeur Manfred Korfmenn et ses fameux scanners souterrains et brillants indices topographiques qui m'ont conduit à Schliemann, la source. Fascinant personnage qui ne nous laisse pas indifférent, mais qu'il faut surtout juger dans le contexte du 19ème siècle, bien avant que l'archéologie devienne une science aux méthodes méticuleuses, bien cadrée et poursuivie par des gouvernements et des instituts académiques. Rappelez vous de la découverte d ...more
Barry
Moorehead recreates the vivid details captured by Schliemann's diaries in a digestible form, in particular: his world travels, archaeology, the discovery of Troy, and subsequent fame and career.

She also ties the man to his time period and illustrates the influence of macro-scale changes in global politics, industrial technology, the sciences, and the development of modern archaeology.

Lastly, Moorehead addresses the disappearance of Priam's treasure, Schliemann's most famous deposit of Trojan art
Rae
The story of Heinrich Schliemann, the controversial "archaeologist," and his purported discovery of the city of Troy and its treasures. I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about Schleimann's early life and business acumen. He was quite a remarkable character. His treasures were given to Germany and they were ultimately looted by the Russians during the siege in Berlin at the end of WWII. The treasures are now spread throughout the world in various museums as well as in the vaults of Russia. Many ...more
Darkpool (protesting GR censorship)
There may well be better biographies of Schliemann available, but this is the one I read. I really enjoyed it, and found it a quite gripping tale. This edition was obviously written before the treasures came to light in Moscow, and I believe there is a more recent edition (with a slightly different name)that includes that part of the story as well. Oddly enough, some of the most memorable parts of the story for me involved Schliemann's time in the Americas, rather than his excavations.
Sandy
May 15, 2010 Sandy marked it as absolutely-must-reads  ·  review of another edition
Must read this fascinating book on Schliemann and his archeological finds at Troy! I loved Schliemann and remember reading about him in Gods, Graces and Scholars at NMH..... goodie goodie, another great archeology book find. Haven't read one in years!
Nora
I think I enjoyed this so much because I read it in France when I didn't have any other english books. I wanted to slap Schliemann most of the time though.
Caroline
I couldn't put it down. I wanted to shake Schliemann and applaud him at the same time.
Fairysprite
Fairysprite marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
SH
SH marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Hussein Hennaoui
Hussein Hennaoui marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Skye
Skye marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Mattia
Mattia added it
Oct 24, 2014
Jennifer Collins
Jennifer Collins marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Mallory
Mallory marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Tracy Danna
Tracy Danna marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Elizabeth M W
Elizabeth M W marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Misha
Misha marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Caroline Moorehead has written columns on human rights first for The Times and then for the Independent (1980-91) and has made a series of TV programmes on human rights for the BBC (1990-2000). She has also written the history of the International Committee of the Red Cross (1998) and has helped to set up a Legal Advice Centre for refugees in Cairo, where she has started schools and a nursery.
More about Caroline Moorehead...
A Train in Winter: An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship, and Resistance in Occupied France Dancing to the Precipice: Lucie Dillon, Marquise de la Tour du Pin and the French Revolution Gellhorn: A Twentieth-Century Life Human Cargo: A Journey Among Refugees Village of Secrets: Defying the Nazis in Vichy France