Start by marking “Nate the Great and the Missing Key” as Want to Read:
Nate the Great and the Missing Key

Nate the Great and the Missing Key (Nate the Great #6)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  393 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Nate the Great doesn't especially want to go to a birthday party for Annie's ferocious dog, Fang. But he can't resist a mystery--and when Annie loses her house key and can't get inside to set up the party, Nate and his trusty dog, Sludge, are hot on the trial.
Published August 15th 1982 by Yearling (first published 1981)

Measle and the Mallockee by Ian OgilvyStink by Megan McDonaldThe Grunts in Trouble by Philip ArdaghAwful End by Philip ArdaghThe Fall of Fergal by Philip Ardagh
Series Reads for 2nd Grade Boys
68th out of 91 books — 2 voters
Life of a Loser - Wanted by Lou ZuhrDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyDragon Howl by Vanessa RouseThe Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dav PilkeyHorrid Henry's Joke Book by Francesca Simon
2nd Grade Book List for Boys
131st out of 149 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

midnightfaerie
A book my 6 yr old loved, a little old for my preschoolers. A solid reading level 2 book, this reader has a good amount of advanced vocabulary words, but not so long that it discourages a new reader. Used it for his read out loud book, which was perfect. It took about 15 mins for him to read and had just enough new vocabulary words to make it challenging. Also, it was a fun and interesting story he could get into. He liked it so much, he asked for more by this author. Great reading book!
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Sharmat, Marjorie Weinman. Nate the Great and the Missing Key. New York. Yearling. 1981.
This review is also posted on Get Kids to Read.

Nate the Great and the Missing Key is one of the many volumes in the classic Nate the Great mystery series. In this volume, Nate is asked to solve the mystery of where his friends key has gone. There was a puzzling note left by Rosamond but Annie needs the key before she can start her dog Fang's birthday party.
Nate goes about the mystery in the usual way. He lea
Dolly
Aug 17, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Our girls (especially our youngest) have always loved Nate the Great stories. They are always fun, and always strange. This tale centers around Fang's birthday and Annie losing her house key. The story is entertaining - classic Nate...the Great.
Personal reaction: I liked this book. I thought it was cute, funny, and relatable! I liked how Nate was afraid of dogs. I also like the funny ending!

Use in the classroom:

1. Read aloud for curricular connection: This book wouldn't make a great read aloud. The vocabulary is too simple. It is structured more for independent reading.

2. Independent reading: This would be a perfect book for a transitional reader! The text doesn't rely on the illustrations, there is more than one line of text on each p
Christy
Cora
meh ...
Rachel
I'm so excited that Roan can now read actual books to us - instead of Level 1, 2, or 3 Lego Star Wars, Avengers, or other superhero books, I think I love the book just for that reason! It cracked me up how he kept asking what "I, Nate the Great..." meant - he couldn't understand why he kept saying it. I think we will check out another one today.
Zane Alexander
riveting to the end! surprise ending!
wjkb
A really good Nate the Great mystery!
Michelle. D.
Nate the Great books aren't that great. I hated them when I was a kid, yet I would always read them.The endings of the books were always the same, they figured out what or who did it. And where are Nate's parents? They just let their son walk around everywhere and question people. That is very irresponsible of them. Nate the Great books always made me fall asleep and always wasted my time. I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially little kids. If kids want real mystery, they should r ...more
Lindsay
We listened to this. He loved it--five stars he says, but since this is my goodreads account, my opinion wins. I did get a little annoyed with the reader of the audiobook overemphasizing "I, Nate the Great" repeatedly. It was like a speed bump in the listening experience. Ian was thrilled to read that the author lives in our city.
Eliza
I like how no one can see the metal key because it was hiding on Fang's color with all the other medal stuff. And I like Rosamond's poem for where it is. Just like Nate the Great, I think Rosamond is a pretty strange girl.
Valerie
Favorite among young readers at my school. This is best intro to Nate the Great.
Andd Becker
Marc Simont illustrated this book about a boy-detective. Annie needs to find the key to her house. She asks Nate to decipher Rosamond's riddle about the location of the key.
Jaca Long
the book was good because nate the great help his friend ,her find the key and it was on her dog the hole time!ha ha ha!
Jared
Aug 09, 2008 Jared rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Luke(my brother)
Recommended to Jared by: My mom
"It was nice. It was about a: missing key, and they found it on the dog: Fang, It was also fang's b-day."
Wilson ubri
Sep 04, 2007 Wilson ubri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Now this book is funny
Shelves: wilsonshelf
what i learned about this book is funny and that it teahes little kids to not be scar of a big dog.
Theresa

Nate the Great and the Missing Key
Sharmat, Marjorie Weinman
good early mystery for young boys
Teea
my new FAVORITE series! Nate is absolutely adorable and i giggle every time i read his adventures.
Maddie
Note on July 28, 2013: This was the first chapter book Maddie read to herself.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
We thought the book was quite funny. Nate is a smart detective. N.+M. R
Shelley
Our latest purchase. Sometimes things are right under your nose.
Eireanne
On the suggested summer reading list for students.
Anne
Feb 13, 2009 Anne marked it as childrens-books
Too easy, says my daughter, but good to read.
Nancy (Colorado)
Classroom library preview
Barbara
Actually made sense. :D
Kieran Caves
I have read this book twice.
  • Young Cam Jansen and the Dinosaur Game (Young Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1)
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Walk the Dog
  • The Canary Caper (A to Z Mysteries, #3)
  • Partners (Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa)
  • The Case of the Spooky Sleepover (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #4)
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat...

Nate the Great (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Nate the Great
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
  • Nate the Great and the Phony Clue
  • Nate the Great and the Sticky Case
  • Nate the Great and the Snowy Trail
  • Nate the Great and the Fishy Prize
  • Nate the Great Stalks Stupidweed
  • Nate the Great and the Boring Beach Bag
  • Nate the Great and the Halloween Hunt
Nate the Great Nate the Great Goes Undercover Nate the Great and the Big Sniff Nate the Great and the Sticky Case Nate the Great and the Snowy Trail