Mike, Mike & Me

Mike, Mike & Me

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  1,079 ratings  ·  58 reviews
This delightful tale by the bestselling author of Slightly Single alternates between the story of a woman's summer with two Mikes in the 1980s, her choice between them, and the outcome 15 years later. Original.
Published January 1st 2005 by Red Dress Ink

Upside Down, Inside Out by Monica McInerneyMillie's Fling by Jill MansellConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaI've Got Your Number by Sophie KinsellaThe Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger
My Favorite Chick Lit
21st out of 79 books — 11 voters
Slightly Single by Wendy MarkhamSee Jane Date by Melissa SenateMilkrun by Sarah MlynowskiScot On The Rocks by Brenda JanowitzSorcery and the Single Girl by Mindy Klasky
Best Red Dress Ink Books
67th out of 110 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Athena
Skip this one. I didn't even finish it- that's how bad it was. The main character dated 2 guys named Mike. She married one and is thinking back fondly on both. Honestly, I didn't care which one she married.
Devon
Reviewed on amazon.com January 17, 2009

I really enjoyed this book. The premise is simple chick lit, a woman early forties examines her life and the choices she made over the years. The twist is that the reader doesn't know until the last few pages who she chose to marry.

Beau was in love with two men, her college sweet heart and a man she met later in an airport lounge, both of whom are coincidentally named Mike. We know that Beau is now married to Mike and has children with Mike and a beautiful...more
Stacy
This was a good book. As the book title states, throughout the story protagonist talks about her two great loves (both named Mike). She talks about her life now--with the Mike she married--and flashes back to the past, when she talks about her summer love affair with both Mikes. Throughout the book, she agonizes about her decision to marry the Mike she did, and wonders if she made the right choice when she hears from the Mike who got away. As she tells her story, you don't know until the last te...more
Marisa
I picked this up at a used book store this weekend and thought I'd give it a try since I was looking for a light read. This book was cute and very fast. It's about a woman named Beau who is a stay-at-home mom who is feeling bored with her life and is feeling distant from her husband. It alternates between the past and the present as she reflects on the two "mikes" in her life. The Mike she married and the Mike that she broke up with. She loved them both and dated them back in the 80's. She had t...more
Jules
Dec 26, 2013 Jules rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: chick, lit
I enjoyed this book as it had a different spin from the usual chick lit. I thought the struggle of Beau between the life she was living and the man she was living it with vs the man and life left behind was realistic. I think many Moms get overwhelmed with the Mom life and so looking back at one's younger, freer self is very attractive. While the book maintains the usual happy chick lit ending, it also felt right and true. A book that is easy to identify with. My only complaint is that I think t...more
Bridget Conroy
This is the first book by this author that I have read. This is your classic chick lit book. I enjoyed this one more than usual because throughout the book you were not sure who she ended up with although the book takes place in the present with flashbacks to the past when she was making her choice. To be honest, I didn't pay enough attention as I just assumed it was the one Mike and never thought that I could be wrong until almost the end when I picked up a couple subtle hints and then it was r...more
Karen
This book had an unusual premise - the now 40-ish suburban mom is looking back at a crucial time period in her life - when she decided between the two Mikes that she was dating. I loved the look back at the late 80's time period, especially since that was my dating era too. Where I thought Markham didn't succeed was in maintaining the "mystery" of which Mike she wound up with. I thought it was obvious the moment she told you about the Mikes' jobs in the past. So, while the book was definitely fl...more
Corey
This novel is set in present time as well as in the past. The heroine, Beau, reflects on meeting the "other" Mike in the 80's when waiting to meet her boyfriend Mike at the airport and its subsequent effects when in present time she's having another battle between the two Mikes as the one not chosen contacts her via email.

This novel was OK and up to the wit and fun of her other novels but for me, it was just OK. I don't like the constant flopping between the Mikes and I really don't like the ch...more
Kellie
I really liked this one! Although each chapter jumped from past to present, it was easy to follow and progressed the story nicely. I liked the main character, and felt for her through the book as she got involved with Mike and Mike. I was wrong about the Mike she ended up with, but was glad to find out it was the Mike I wanted her to be with. :)

I also got a kick out of all the pop culture references. The part about making the tea to soothe the throats of Milli Vanilli, and about the TV show Cops...more
Tin
Had me guessing until the end which Mike Beau eventually married. Alternating each chapter between the past and the present provided the right amount of a cliffhanger-type of storytelling that kept me, the reader, guessing, at the same time, wanting more.

And, had the author chosen to end the story on a vague note (the author gave the ending away, with five more short chapters to go, when she mentioned 'dimples'), i would have still loved it. In fact, looking back, think i would have preferred it...more
Crystal Hiller
Loved this book. Mommy-hood "grass is greener" sort of story.
Hanny
Pure chick lit - a fast read, predictable ending. This book tells the story of a woman who dated two Mikes during the '80's and 15 years of marriage and three children later, she wonders if she made the right choice. The book alternates from past to present; the author did an excellent job describing the hairstyles and clothing of the past. I enjoyed her humorous observations of what was then and what is now.
Angie
I really liked how each chapter of this book went back and forth from past to present and how you don't find out which Mike she married until the end. Anyone with half a brain could have guessed correctly though since this is predictable chick lit. Only 3 stars because the main character was spoiled, selfish and shallow, at least more so than I am able to tolerate for a fun and quick read like this.
Teena in Toronto
Interesting concept for a book. I wasn't really sure which Mike she ended up with until the end ... and she picked the one I was rooting for! I like the way it kept bouncing back and forth between the 1980s and today. It was a hoot to read about the styles of clothes and hair as if it was today.

Blog review: http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2007/02...
Heather75
Interesting book where she dates 2 Mike's in the 80's and she is married to one of them and you don't know which one till the end. Each chapter flips from past to present. I also liked the ending to know what happened to the Mike she didn't end up with - kind of makes you wonder what your life would have been like if you went down a different path.
Mindless summer read. I liked the way the book read & how it was set up. However, I hated this character. I believe the author has done a series of books about one character and I'm hoping this book isn't a part of it as I'd like to read more of her books (perfect for the beach) but I don't want to spend any more time with this character.
Carol Schweinberg
I finished this book last night (3/13/2009). I enjoyed it. I liked out it alternated between the past and the present. I was tempted to skip to the end to see which Mike she ended up with, but I didn't. Wendy Markham writes about relationships in a way which keeps my attention, which is notoriously short nowadays.
Meg
This book was a quick read, but I didn't like the premise. The main character cheats and somehow the reader is supposed to be okay with this? Parts of this book were also pretty predictable. Eh. Just okay. Not terrible but I really ended up being annoyed with the premise that cheating is okay.
Janeen Neale
Nov 20, 2007 Janeen Neale rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: girls only!!
This book was fun to read. I really enjoy how the author takes you back in the past and then the present every other chapter. This was an easy read and an enjoyable one...I do not recommend this book for anyone who has been in a love triangle...it may make you think twice! ;-)
Pollypoptart
It was enjoyable enough but it took me a month to read (really unlike me - it wasn't even a particularly long book!) because I found it really hard to get into and invest in the characters. I finally started to be drawn in in the last few days.
Melanie
A lot of fun - she definitely did a good job keeping you guessing about which Mike the main character ended up with! The writing is great, too - easy to read, humorous, and entertaining. I loved all the cute 80s pop culture references, too.
Courtney
My favorite thing about this book was the fact that there was no "obvious" ending. Both Mikes have their downfalls, both Mikes have their greatness... and of course, I loved the 80s references sprinkled throughout the book.
It was a cute book and I enjoyed Wendy Markham's writing style. I wasn't sure which Mike she chose in the end until the very end. I kept going back and forth between the two Mikes. It's a quick read but very enjoyable.
Tanya
Being married to a Mike and deciding to marry him with another man in my life still, I was drawn to this book. Loved it. Didn't know which Mike she chose until the very end. But it all made sense - love that.
Moira
This book was CUTE and total chick lit. I can't say I loved it; I don't usually enjoy chick lit. But if you're looking for a super-fast, don't-have-to-think-about-it book, this is your book!!
Cute book, with a bit of suspense regarding the ending (although if you pay close attention to the clues throughout the book, you can figure it out). I was able to finish this one in a day.
Vicki
I really enjoyed this book - especially liked how the story flip-flops between the past & the present. Its a guessing-game on which Mike she ends up with until the very end :)
Tara
I absolutely loved this book. I didn't want to put it down because I needed to know which Mike she ended up with. I loved how each chapter went from Present to Past.
It was a fun read, very dense in 80's culture. More serious than her other books as the main character (half the time) is a suburban wife and mother. Worth the read.
Sara
I liked this book. I identified with the narrator (harried stay-at-home mom with young children), and I thought it was fun that it was a surprise ending.
  • The Breakup Club (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Tales of a Drama Queen
  • The Jinx (Rachel Benjamin, #2)
  • Monkey Business
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
  • A Clean Slate
  • Bombshell
  • Name & Address Withheld
  • Crossing the Line
  • Inappropriate Men (Red Dress Ink)
  • Mafia Chic
  • Summer In The Land Of Skin (Red Dress Ink)
  • Up & Out (Red Dress Ink)
  • Mommy Tracked
  • My Fake Wedding
New York Times bestseller Wendy Corsi Staub is the award-winning author of more than seventy published novels and has sold more than three million books worldwide. Under her own name, Wendy achieved New York Times bestselling status with her single title psychological suspense novels. Those novels and the women's fiction she writes under the pseudonym Wendy Markham have also frequently appeared on...more
More about Wendy Markham...
Slightly Single (Slightly, #1) Slightly Settled (Slightly, #2) Slightly Married (Slightly, #4) Slightly Engaged (Slightly, #3) Slightly Suburban (Slightly, #5)

“Call me jaded, but I didn't see then and I don't see now how hugging, and counting and focusing on a flickering candle or, God help me, a favorite stuffed animal, can possibly make you forget the nine pounds of wriggling human forcing its way out of you the same way it got into you nine months-and nine pounds-ago.

As the scientific theory goes, what goes in must come out. Eventually. Somehow. And the coming-out part is never as much fun as the going in part. ”
3 likes