Start by marking “Word Power Made Easy” as Want to Read:
Word Power Made Easy

Word Power Made Easy

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  2,970 ratings  ·  147 reviews
Word Power Made Easy is a comprehensive vocabulary‑building system created by legendary grammarian Norman Lewis that provides a simple, step‑by‑step method to increase your knowledge and mastery of the English language.

Word Power Made Easy is the best and quickest means to a better vocabulary in the English language. As you complete the exerci
Published February 15th 1991 by Pocket Books (first published May 28th 1968)

Daisy Holtel
"A new word is not just another pattern of syllables with which to clutter you mind --A new word is a new idea to help you think, to help you understand the thoughts of others, to help you express your own thoughts, to help you live a richer intellectual life." pg. 141

I immensely enjoyed this book. It is a interesting read on its own, as well as a reference guide and a grammatical aid. It will sit next to my dictionary for a long time and will be used frequently. It is a perfect tool for someone
Dony
An excellent book on improving your vocabulary. I've just bought another one recently, '1500 words in 15 minutes at day', and haven't started it to see how they compare. 'Word Power made easy' was broken up into categories based on what you might require. Each category revolved around a central theme which helped to hold everything together when learning.
Apart from introducing new words, defining them and using them with other inter-connected words, there were also useful information on the ori
Jaasindah Mir
Originally reviewed at my blog:

I didn’t have any exposure to vocabulary building books before I decided to pick Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis. Why I decided to pick this book is a reason very simple. I saw it in the best sellers list on Flipkart every time I checked the said page on the site. I wanted to see what was so good about the book that made it sell in a bigger quantity than Paulo Coelho’s books (For me he is the author everybody should re
Tushar
Jan 01, 2013 Tushar rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students,Academia,Professionals,Newbies
This is one of the better vocabulary builders that you are ever likely to find. Instead of being banal and boring, the book approaches vocabulary building with an entirely different approach. It introduces a word and consequently its root, and then builds up a luxuriant number of words over the same and hence acquaints you with them in no time. The book also focuses a lot on revision of the words and this is what makes it a complete vocabulary book. And the very fact that this is the most covete ...more
Amy
Norman Lewis knows how to teach vocabulary in a way that helps new words stick. In Word Power Made Easy, he does this in several ways:

1. New words are divided into thematic chapters that make it easy to draw connections between the words.

Some chapters are straightforward and closely connected, like "How to Talk About Doctors" or "How to Talk About Science and Scientists." Others are based on a part of speech, like verbs, as in "How to Talk About Actions" and "How to Talk About What Goes On." An
Harish Kumar Sarma Challapalli
A wonderful book!! Bible to those who want to learn vocab!! Its more of an exercise oriented than theory!! A very good experience!! After completing the book, I felt very confident in replacing many words with its thesaurus!!

I recommend for everyone to go through this and practice well for improving your language!!

Did this while preparing for my GRE and it was very much helpful!!
Teanasce
Great book for to build one's vocabulary , It provides reader with a Idea related to a word , a memoir related to that word so that person could attach to that and word remained instilled in his/her mind . It tells the origin and relation of words like 'Bibliophile' , Its made from Latin word biblio for books and Latin verb philein , to write . It guides about a society of words "like words to insult one's enemy' or 'word's to talk about people' or 'words to talk about doctors' etc . One can bec ...more
Anushri
This is a great book for building vocabulary. A must-have for students preparing for competitive exams which test language skills. This book is easy to read and is divided into a number of sections which test your vocabulary as well as grammar. Also has a wide range of Synonyms, Antonyms, Paronyms, Idioms and special phrases. The comprehensive tests given in the book are a tad bit difficult but if you read the book thoroughly, you will be able to solve them.
Grab a copy soon if you want to improv
Prashant
This book by Norman Lewis is the first step for a scholar to start the journey of building a good vocabulary. New words are explained with easy steps and the exercises in the end of each chapter help the reader to test himself before moving further.

This was the first book I picked with the sole intention of learning some new words for the sake of it. :)
Jay Patel
An excellent book for english language beginners.I can't even think of any other book for vocabulary.
Maan
READ THIS!!! great for enhancing vocabulary and etymology skills
Milan Maheta
Jul 28, 2015 Milan Maheta marked it as to-read
this book is very useful to us...most favorable or day to day words are using in this book
Amanda L
A pragmatic approach to building vocabulary, organized according to common topics of conversation (albeit dated at 1949 when originally published). Includes a how-to for assessing your present vocabulary at the onset. Almost entertaining (how to topics include how to talk about personality types, doctors, liars and lying, speech habits, enemies, how to flatter friends, how to talk about complex ideas, attitudes, etc). Brief with respect to etymology/roots. Helpful for pronunciation, with compari ...more
Hriday
The best in the vocab building genre. The foundation course for all future vocab books. The approach to etymology and the emphasis on its significance is superb.

Not for the reader who wants to learn a quick word or 2. I should like to quote the first 2 lines of the book:

"Dont read this book...This book is not for reading!!!"
Vijay Kumar
May 15, 2013 Vijay Kumar rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to Vijay by: Just got from footpath seller in Mumbai, India
The very best book to develop and improve our vocabulary. This book systematically teaches us about word roots, its origin, derivations, etc. A must-have reference book for students, professionals, literary personnel, etc. This book helped me, who not a native English speaker, to excel in my communications, both oral & written.
Ashish Sharma
Great book that completely solves the purpose of improving English vocabulary. This book also provides great insights into the English language like word roots, some special exceptions and lots of other interesting things.

I would recommend that if you are interested in vocabulary building then please own a copy of this one.
Ellen
I recommend this book frequently; it's been around for a long time, and it's still the best book on vocabulary written. I worked through the exercises and tests when I was in ninth grade; the chapters are thematic, and the emphasis on word roots is integrated nicely.
Elle
This was a great vocabulary book, one of my favorites so far. The roots to the words really helped me learn them. I really liked it when the word had a story or history behind it. I don't remember all the words from this book, but I came away having a much larger vocabulary.
Ravi Gangwani
One of the best book I ever read. I don't know how many times but I feel same love for it everytime I take to revise my vocabulary
Jeremy S.
titled like a gimmick, but I've gotten 3 copies so far. lessons are separated into 15+ minute-a-day segments, with each segment being divided between reading a dose of Etymology followed by a series of word-problem tests.

the liberal use of Etymology mixed with sound, proven memory tests has worked very well for me and what keeps me buying more editions.

I work through one every time I feel I need to refresh.

this has not only vastly expanded my lexicon, but the Etymology mixed in reinforces unde
Hemantkumar Jain
An excellent book to improve vocabulary and learn the roots and formation of words
Divya Gonnabathula
Etymological and logical way of increasing vocab, and retaining it as well!
Hannah Frailey
Best vocabulary book ever!
Erwin Leonardy
This book is indeed a great book to enhance our vocabulary. In lieu of giving an inexhaustible list of words, this book introduces new words with ideas. You are expected to finish a session everyday, so one and a half month should suffice. I highly recommend this book for those people who want to possess a superior vocabulary.
Sohabran Pundir
I have just started working with this book and all I can do is just praise the methodology thats been shown by Normal Lewis to improve ones overall vocabulary. Merely just by knowing the Latin o Greek roots the meaning of words seems like a child's play play
Debabrata Tripathy
Starter guide to improve vocabulary using roots base approach. Best part of book is "latest word list" present in appendix. Once complete the book, you will get confidence on vocabulary and will help to crack any competitive exams.
Sunil
exemplary.beautiful script. Although its about vocabulary the overall structure is meticulously drafted with all the exercises which took care of revision to ensure imbibing the idea.The Book based on the etymology or origin of words, also reveals the many idiosyncracies of English language.Sure able to comprehend many words while reading after completing this book.the reader must make sure to use the book by doing all the exercises.
Tarun
I got this on table of my boss and read this book on every weekends. Norman has well explained pronunciation, trick and ways to master your vocabulary. Book Title matches the stuff in it. A very good book
Surya
May 08, 2015 Surya added it
This is a true master work!

The author fundamentally categorized book into "ideas" and introduces several words across those ideas. With roots of each words, he tries to relate other words!

Goodreads Librari...: PAPERBACK & MASS MARKET PAPERBACK 4 31 Aug 16, 2014 07:08AM
  • Merriam-Webster's Vocabulary Builder
  • Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary
  • Very Nice Ways to Say Very Bad Things: The Unusual Book of Euphemisms
  • Flip Dictionary
  • A Lime, a Mime, a Pool of Slime: More about Nouns
  • Verbal Advantage: Ten Easy Steps to a Powerful Vocabulary
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • The Complete Rhyming Dictionary
  • 52 Mondays: The One Year Path to Outrageous Success & Lifelong Happiness
  • English Vocabulary in Use Upper-Intermediate & Advanced
  • I'm Not Hanging Noodles on Your Ears and Other Intriguing Idioms From Around the World
  • American Accent Training: A Guide to Speaking and Pronouncing American English for Anyone Who Speaks English as a Second Language (Book and CD)
  • India Unbound: The Social and Economic Revolution from Independence to the Global Information Age
  • I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like: A Comprehensive Compilation of History's Greatest Analogies, Metaphors, and Similes
  • Random House Word Menu: New and Essential Companion to the Dictionary
  • All About Words: An Adult Approach to Vocabulary Building
  • The Case of the Calendar Girl
  • Scholastic Dictionary Of Idioms
How to Read Better and Faster Thirty Days to Better English Instant Word Power The New Roget's Thesaurus in Dictionary Form Better English

“Philadelphia is the City of Brotherly Love” 0 likes
“the keys to accurate thinking. Is it any wonder then that the most successful and intelligent people in this country have the biggest vocabularies? It was not their large vocabularies that made these people successful and intelligent, but their knowledge. Knowledge, however, is gained largely through words.” 0 likes