Where Is Baby's Belly Button?

Where Is Baby's Belly Button?

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  4,049 ratings  ·  123 reviews
Where are Baby's hands?
Under the bubbles!
Where are baby's eyes?
Under her hat!
Karen Katz's adorable babies play peekaboo in this delightful interactive book. The sturdy format and easy-to-lift flaps are perfect for parents and children to share.
Board Book, 14 pages
Published September 1st 2000 by Little Simon

The Seven Natural Wonders Of The EARTH (My First Travel Books by Anna OthitisTurtle Wish by Murielle CyrGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
The All-Time Best Books for Toddlers
27th out of 96 books — 82 voters
Where Is Baby's Belly Button? by Karen KatzToes, Ears, & Nose! by Marion Dane BauerWhite on Black by Tana HobanWhere Is Baby's Mommy? by Karen KatzBaby Loves Spring! by Karen Katz
Great Books for Babies
1st out of 92 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Caris
May 15, 2010 Caris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Caris by: the girl
Shelves: 2010
Object permanence is fucking weird. Self-awareness is fucking weird. Being a baby, living in a crazy ass universe where things are, but then cease to be is fucking weird.

Here’s an example.

My daughter likes to kick the shit out of this inflatable penguin. It’s one of those things that has sand in the base so that it’ll pop back up once it is knocked down. It’s like that Chumbawamba tune, only it doesn’t make you want to kill yourself. She has fun with this penguin. But occasionally, while she’s p...more
Scott Rhee
The suspense is built from the very beginning with the enigmatic title, "Where is Baby's Belly Button?" Karen Katz's exciting thriller for newborns pits the young reader in a race against time to find the elusive belly button. First, though, she deftly navigates the young reader through a checklist of other elusive body parts, like the eyes, mouth, feet, and hands with the use of an amazing technology called "lift-the-flap". Where are baby's eyes? I'll be darned---they're under the baby's hat! W...more
Lisa
I wasn't going to read this with Gabe until he got a bit older but we tried it out today and he dug. He was staring at the print, babies and flaps. At least at this young age he's not ripping the flaps off!
One of my daughter's early favorites, this lift-the-flap book used to send her into spasms of giggles when she was just a little infant. We ended up getting almost all of Karen Katz's books for her, and she's loved every one of them.

I've become a big Katz fan because her illustrations are not only charming, they always depict kids of various ethnic backgrounds. Another plus - her books are short. You parents out there know what I'm talking about! As much as we love reading to our kids and know t...more
Joanna
The colors are bright and beautiful, with lots of contrasting textures. It's like a patchwork quilt, warm, comfy, with lots to draw in your eyes. The kids love the flaps, but like most flappy books I've seen, the drawback is that they can tear under little hands.
Katie
At two months and counting, Josephine has loved this book- the 'lift the flap' features are a great surprise to her and the illustrations are perfect for her right now.
David
Where Is Baby's Belly Button? by Karen Katz is a lift-the- flap book focusing on babies and body parts in a question and answer format.

Katz' colorful illustrations feature babies of various ethnic backgrounds looking for a specific body part. Body parts shown are the eyes, mouth, belly button, feet, and hands. The items hiding the body parts are hat, cup, shirt, cat, bubbles, and blanket. The question pages feature a bright background color: green, blue, gold, yellow and pink. My favorite images...more
jacky
Jul 02, 2010 jacky rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: older babies, toddlers
Recommended to jacky by: Parents Connect Nick Jr
June 2010 - We were passing a little time in Border's and I saw this in the board book section. Its possible that we had seen it before, either on our own or at story time, or it might have been a similar title. Anyway, I thought this book was very cute. I liked the flaps. We were shopping for lift the flap books, but this one was a little too short for the cost in my opinion. Natalie seemed to like it, and she even pulled down on of the flaps herself.

June 2011 - Natalie was really into this bo...more
Catherine Savoie
I think this book is an amamzing book. Not only is it a good read but if you have babys it is a good way for them to be able to learn where the different parts of there body are.
The wrods are easy for them to understand so that as they get a little older they can start reading it for themselves and understanding what it means on there own. It is alwasy good to have a book a child can read on theer own to make learn and understand that.
Then there is the pictures. They are colorful and ful of sh...more
Rosa Cline
This is an adorable baby book to start your baby-toddler out! It's a lift flap book revealing feet, eyes, mouth, belly button, and hands. PERFECT to help you teach your baby those items on themselves! And to help teach them simple words as they start speaking.
Comfort Olajide
I read this book and it is a very colorful book with flip-the-flap. The book contains drawings of babies with some parts of their body hidden in flaps. Each page asks "where is baby's ......?" and the child will will lift the flaps to find the hidden pictures. The pictures are great with good fabric and wallpaper paterns. I will put this book on my shelf and I will recommend the book for toddlers to learn body parts.

Learning Experience:

Science: I will use this book to teach children to learn the...more
Meg McGregor
A wonderful lift the flap book that will engage your little one in finding out where her eyes, mouth, nose, feet, and belly button are.

Wonderful illustrations, bright colors, and large lift the flaps, will make this one of your little ones favorite books!
Wendy
Nice lift-the-flap book, better than the other one I have by this author since the flaps are bigger and easier to lift without ripping off tiny pieces. Good interaction for a little one learning various body parts.
Robert Beveridge
Karen Katz, Where's Baby's Belly Button? (Simon and Schuster, 2000)

A lift-the-flaps book Karen Katz-style, with her distinctive illustrations and simple text. It's a lovely book, but it's getting a slightly lower review than I'd otherwise give it because it's not as well-constructed as it would be reasonable to expect given that much of the flap-lifting is going to be done by the pre-lit set; the flap on the back page, especially, is likely to start coming loose after just weeks of handling (it...more
Melissa Frentsos
Cute book. The flaps are fun but not very durable. Babies do often seem to be really fascinated by their belly buttons.
Kimberly
Great early reader and vocabulary building book. This teaches body parts and location words.
Nicole
great,interactive board book that helps identify body parts. A big fan of Karen Katz at our house
Heather Mize
A very cute little concept book. My 13 month old really really loves this book.
Kaethe
Babies will enjoy it, parents will like it okay.
Shelley
5/14/2014 baby lap sit
5/14/2014 wonderful ones
Karawan
This is a cute variation on Peek-a-Boo (one of Gavin's current interests!) that also introduces body parts like hands, eyes, belly button. Each page asks where one of baby's body parts is (it's hidden by clothing, the cat, etc.) and then there are flaps you can lift to reveal them.

Reading this to Gavin was exciting because this is the first book where he seemed to make the connection about opening the flaps by himself. So now I'm going to have to look for other flap books.
Savannah
Where is/are: Baby's eyes, mouth, belly button, feet, hands, baby? My son knows what eyes, mouth, belly button, feet, and hands and where they are. Working on teeth, fingers, toes, and tongue so this one is more review. I like showing him Toes, Ears, and Nose more because it covers the smaller or not so popular body parts. Trying to talk to him about knees, elbows, belly, back, bum, arms, and legs more also.
Kirsti
Easily one of my son's favorite books, this one entered our library several months ago as part of my ongoing quest to teach him (my son) various parts of the body. I'm not sure whether we've succeeded in that goal yet, but he simply adores lifting the flaps in this book to find baby's eyes, mouth, belly button, hands, and so forth. This is definitely one of our favorite reads.
Leandra Cate
All the Karen Katz lift the flap books are great and have been a big hit with my child since she was 5 months old. Lift-the-flap never seems to lose its appeal and these flaps are sturdy, which I appreciate. I like that the kids are of different races and not gender stereotyped. I'm pretty sure this book was the reason my child learned all her body parts way earlier than expected.
Magen
At one, Lily loves this peek-a-boo flap book. She likes any of Karen Katz board books. I like this one the best because I can teach her about her body parts. She points to the baby's body parts when she find them and then I point to hers. She thinks this is very funny. The other books in the series don't focus as much on babies...more objects. She loses interest with the rest faster.
Taxandria
My daughter loves this book. The colors are bright and fun, the flaps are engaging (and I like interactive type books for babies), and when she lifts the flaps she smiles and laughs. I teach her the body parts with this book -- baby's eyes, baby's hands, baby's feet, baby's belly button. Also you can teach the objects used -- like the bubbles, hat, cup etc.
Missy Kirtley
It's all right. Honestly, I'm not sure what I think of the flap-books. They get torn and ripped, and the flaps go missing... sure it's fun the first couple of times, but then you have to be really careful and you get bored because there's no story, just silly pictures... my daughter wanted to read this one six times, and I was finished after the first read through.
Wissahickon Valley Public Library
Where is baby? A favorite to read aloud and a fun one to read to babies because of he flaps!
Shannon
Very cute book, my daughter loves it. She loves to lift the flaps, but she's still a little young and tries to rip the flaps off. (She's succeeded a few times actually.) We keep these books away from her reach, which is sad since she loves them so much and loves to play with books. Still, it's a great read for children, babies, and toddlers!
Destiny Dawn Long
This lift the flap book has colorful and engaging illustrations for babies and toddlers. It helps little ones learn to recognize and name body parts. We have the Spanish edition because my daughter has been learning Spanish with her grandfather. One of the things that I've enjoyed most is that it's helped me to pick up a little Spanish as well!
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose!: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Peek-a-Moo!
  • Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton Board Books)
  • My Very First Book of Colors
  • Tails
  • Gallop!: A Scanimation Picture Book
  • Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes
Karen Katz has written and illustrated many books for children, including The Colors of Us, Can You Say Peace, My First Ramadan, Counting Kisses and Where is Baby's Belly Button. Long inspired by folk art from around the world, she was inspired to write her first book, Over the Moon, when she and her husband adopted their daughter from Guatemala, and she wanted to tell the story of welcoming Lena...more
More about Karen Katz...
Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book The Colors of Us Daddy Hugs A Potty for Me! Ten Tiny Babies