Start by marking “Where Is Baby's Belly Button?” as Want to Read:
Where Is Baby's Belly Button?

Where Is Baby's Belly Button?

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  7,191 Ratings  ·  161 Reviews
Karen Katz's adorable babies play peekaboo in this delightful interactive book.

Where are Baby's hands?
Under the bubbles!
Where are baby's eyes?
Under her hat!

The sturdy format and easy-to-lift flaps are perfect for parents and children to share.
Board Book, 14 pages
Published September 1st 2000 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about Where Is Baby's Belly Button?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Is Baby's Belly Button?

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney
Books for one-year-old children
26th out of 274 books — 206 voters
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Smile! by Roberta Grobel IntraterWhere Is Baby's Belly Button? by Karen KatzEat! by Roberta Grobel IntraterMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra Boynton
Great Books for Babies
3rd out of 96 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Scott Rhee
Feb 03, 2014 Scott Rhee rated it it was amazing
The suspense is built from the very beginning with the enigmatic title, "Where is Baby's Belly Button?" Karen Katz's exciting thriller for newborns pits the young reader in a race against time to find the elusive belly button. First, though, she deftly navigates the young reader through a checklist of other elusive body parts, like the eyes, mouth, feet, and hands with the use of an amazing technology called "lift-the-flap". Where are baby's eyes? I'll be darned---they're under the baby's hat! W ...more
Lisa
Jan 14, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
I wasn't going to read this with Gabe until he got a bit older but we tried it out today and he dug. He was staring at the print, babies and flaps. At least at this young age he's not ripping the flaps off!
Dana Lyons
Jan 08, 2016 Dana Lyons rated it it was amazing
Shelves: iris, rosemary
Not my favorite book to read to my girls but,alas, it does not matter because both Iris, age 2, and Rosemary, age 1, adore this book so we read it at least once a week if not once a night. The Karen Katz books are fantastic for these ages because they provide the child an opportunity to participate by lifting the flaps and/or guessing where the item in question is hiding. The book reinforces cause and effect and is perfect for older babies and young toddlers!
Jun 03, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: emi-s-books
One of my daughter's early favorites, this lift-the-flap book used to send her into spasms of giggles when she was just a little infant. We ended up getting almost all of Karen Katz's books for her, and she's loved every one of them.

I've become a big Katz fan because her illustrations are not only charming, they always depict kids of various ethnic backgrounds. Another plus - her books are short. You parents out there know what I'm talking about! As much as we love reading to our kids and know t
Joanna
Feb 16, 2009 Joanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The colors are bright and beautiful, with lots of contrasting textures. It's like a patchwork quilt, warm, comfy, with lots to draw in your eyes. The kids love the flaps, but like most flappy books I've seen, the drawback is that they can tear under little hands.
Katie
Dec 13, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
At two months and counting, Josephine has loved this book- the 'lift the flap' features are a great surprise to her and the illustrations are perfect for her right now.
David
Mar 13, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
Where Is Baby's Belly Button? by Karen Katz is a lift-the- flap book focusing on babies and body parts in a question and answer format.

Katz' colorful illustrations feature babies of various ethnic backgrounds looking for a specific body part. Body parts shown are the eyes, mouth, belly button, feet, and hands. The items hiding the body parts are hat, cup, shirt, cat, bubbles, and blanket. The question pages feature a bright background color: green, blue, gold, yellow and pink. My favorite images
jacky
Jul 02, 2010 jacky rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: older babies, toddlers
Recommended to jacky by: Parents Connect Nick Jr
June 2010 - We were passing a little time in Border's and I saw this in the board book section. Its possible that we had seen it before, either on our own or at story time, or it might have been a similar title. Anyway, I thought this book was very cute. I liked the flaps. We were shopping for lift the flap books, but this one was a little too short for the cost in my opinion. Natalie seemed to like it, and she even pulled down on of the flaps herself.

June 2011 - Natalie was really into this bo
Catherine Savoie
I think this book is an amamzing book. Not only is it a good read but if you have babys it is a good way for them to be able to learn where the different parts of there body are.
The wrods are easy for them to understand so that as they get a little older they can start reading it for themselves and understanding what it means on there own. It is alwasy good to have a book a child can read on theer own to make learn and understand that.
Then there is the pictures. They are colorful and ful of sh
Ashley Lahr
This is an awesome book. On each page it will ask a question like where is baby's feet? Then on the next page it has a thing that you flip down to find baby's feet and it will say where the baby's feet are. This is a very interactive book for kids. You could even have them do the actions along with the book when looking for each body part.
Cara Byrne
Feb 25, 2015 Cara Byrne rated it liked it
A nice peek-a-boo board book in which kids find a baby's belly button, toes and mouth, all hiding underneath flaps that need to be lifted to reveal what was hiding. I'm not a big fan of the illustrations, but the babies at story time certainly enjoyed looking through this book. (Lu was busy studying/trying to eat my shoe laces).
Rebecca Saxon
Katz's multicultural large faced babies are engaging for little ones. The flaps are large and ideal for babies to enjoy the surprise of revealing another baby beneath.

Delightful, colorful and fun. A true baby classic book. Ideal for one-on-one reading and storytimes. My son loves this, and Katz's other books.
Tymia Woods
Jun 28, 2015 Tymia Woods added it
Shelves: body-parts
This is another great book I have read a thousands times to my class of infants and toddlers. Once they learn where their belly button is they can't get enough of showing it no matter what time of day. This is also a fun book because it has the flip pages that makes it both entertaining and interacting during the read.
Rosa Cline
Feb 18, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is an adorable baby book to start your baby-toddler out! It's a lift flap book revealing feet, eyes, mouth, belly button, and hands. PERFECT to help you teach your baby those items on themselves! And to help teach them simple words as they start speaking.
Comfort Olajide
Oct 31, 2012 Comfort Olajide rated it really liked it
I read this book and it is a very colorful book with flip-the-flap. The book contains drawings of babies with some parts of their body hidden in flaps. Each page asks "where is baby's ......?" and the child will will lift the flaps to find the hidden pictures. The pictures are great with good fabric and wallpaper paterns. I will put this book on my shelf and I will recommend the book for toddlers to learn body parts.

Learning Experience:

Science: I will use this book to teach children to learn the
Donna
Nov 26, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board-books
This is a favourite for 6-24 months. Babies love putting their feet on "Where are baby's feet?" Full page flaps are easy for little fingers to open with help. Peek-a-boo pictures keep the baby delighted. This is definately a favourite book at Grandma's house.
MsFictitious
Aug 16, 2015 MsFictitious rated it liked it
Kids love lift the flap books so this is no exception. I think the illustrations are a little busy and it is somewhat awkward that every baby has a massive forehead and tiny little eyes. However, I do like that the multicultural representation in the book.
Meg McGregor
Mar 21, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
A wonderful lift the flap book that will engage your little one in finding out where her eyes, mouth, nose, feet, and belly button are.

Wonderful illustrations, bright colors, and large lift the flaps, will make this one of your little ones favorite books!
Michael Dorsher
Jun 05, 2016 Michael Dorsher rated it liked it
Not a great amount of literary merit, but a very interactive read. I'm hopefully that this will be useful for developing object permanence.

Promotes curiosity and lifting ones shirt up & showing off the belly. What could go wrong?
Jinky
Mar 28, 2016 Jinky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Another fun one for the nursery kids. Wonderful board book with lift-the-flap that the kids enjoyed flipping. I look at it as a book version of peek-a-boo that young and old love to play.
Catherine Griwkowsky
May 20, 2016 Catherine Griwkowsky rated it it was amazing
This board book allows for interaction not only with the flaps on the page, but also for interacting with your little one. It's a fun book of discovery and learning names of body parts.
Andrea
Mar 06, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
For some reason, this book is such a favorite--yet so simple. My daughter loves the flaps, and pointing out eyes, hands, bellybutton etc. It is a great book for toddlers.
Robert Beveridge
Karen Katz, Where's Baby's Belly Button? (Simon and Schuster, 2000)

A lift-the-flaps book Karen Katz-style, with her distinctive illustrations and simple text. It's a lovely book, but it's getting a slightly lower review than I'd otherwise give it because it's not as well-constructed as it would be reasonable to expect given that much of the flap-lifting is going to be done by the pre-lit set; the flap on the back page, especially, is likely to start coming loose after just weeks of handling (it
Jeannie
Sep 13, 2015 Jeannie rated it really liked it
Colorful illustrations and great starter book for baby to learn the different parts of the body. One of the best books of Karen Katz series I would say.
Jen
Aug 17, 2014 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, own, for-the-bebe
This is cute, but maybe too old for the baby at home because the flaps are too much to handle with her little graspy fingers. I don't want to rip the pages!
Leslie
interaction ; body

I liked the larger size to read aloud, but if having the parents hold a copy--smaller size would work as well. 0689835604
Elizabeth
I've avoided reading this forever because I do NOT like belly buttons, but this is about all different body parts, so I'm now okay with it.
Jaclyn Harrison
Nov 01, 2014 Jaclyn Harrison rated it it was amazing
My 1 year old LOVES this book. We got it from the library a few days ago and it's all he wants to read. He finds it absolutely hysterical.
Brittany
Oct 04, 2015 Brittany rated it really liked it
Alistair (9 months+) really likes this one because he can interact with the flaps. This also helps teach "under" and body parts.
Melissa Frentsos
Jun 16, 2014 Melissa Frentsos rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Cute book. The flaps are fun but not very durable. Babies do often seem to be really fascinated by their belly buttons.
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose! (A Lift-the-Flap Book)
  • Peek-a-Zoo!
  • Planes
  • Daddy Kisses
  • Whose Toes are Those?
  • Global Babies
Karen Katz has written and illustrated many books for children, including The Colors of Us, Can You Say Peace, My First Ramadan, Counting Kisses and Where is Baby's Belly Button. Long inspired by folk art from around the world, she was inspired to write her first book, Over the Moon, when she and her husband adopted their daughter from Guatemala, and she wanted to tell the story of welcoming Lena ...more
More about Karen Katz...