Start by marking “Where Is Baby's Belly Button?” as Want to Read:
Where Is Baby's Belly Button?

Where Is Baby's Belly Button?

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  7,451 Ratings  ·  168 Reviews
Karen Katz's adorable babies play peekaboo in this delightful interactive book.

Where are Baby's hands?
Under the bubbles!
Where are baby's eyes?
Under her hat!

The sturdy format and easy-to-lift flaps are perfect for parents and children to share.
Board Book, 14 pages
Published September 1st 2000 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about Where Is Baby's Belly Button?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Is Baby's Belly Button?

Scott Rhee
Feb 03, 2014 Scott Rhee rated it it was amazing
The suspense is built from the very beginning with the enigmatic title, "Where is Baby's Belly Button?" Karen Katz's exciting thriller for newborns pits the young reader in a race against time to find the elusive belly button. First, though, she deftly navigates the young reader through a checklist of other elusive body parts, like the eyes, mouth, feet, and hands with the use of an amazing technology called "lift-the-flap". Where are baby's eyes? I'll be darned---they're under the baby's hat! W ...more
Lisa
Jan 14, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
I wasn't going to read this with Gabe until he got a bit older but we tried it out today and he dug. He was staring at the print, babies and flaps. At least at this young age he's not ripping the flaps off!
Sarah (Books Before Bandaids)
Oct 12, 2016 Sarah (Books Before Bandaids) rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-books
A cute engaging, peek a boo, that also works on parts of the body.
Jun 03, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: emi-s-books
One of my daughter's early favorites, this lift-the-flap book used to send her into spasms of giggles when she was just a little infant. We ended up getting almost all of Karen Katz's books for her, and she's loved every one of them.

I've become a big Katz fan because her illustrations are not only charming, they always depict kids of various ethnic backgrounds. Another plus - her books are short. You parents out there know what I'm talking about! As much as we love reading to our kids and know t
Dana Lyons
Jan 08, 2016 Dana Lyons rated it it was amazing
Shelves: iris, rosemary
Not my favorite book to read to my girls but,alas, it does not matter because both Iris, age 2, and Rosemary, age 1, adore this book so we read it at least once a week if not once a night. The Karen Katz books are fantastic for these ages because they provide the child an opportunity to participate by lifting the flaps and/or guessing where the item in question is hiding. The book reinforces cause and effect and is perfect for older babies and young toddlers!
Joanna
Feb 16, 2009 Joanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The colors are bright and beautiful, with lots of contrasting textures. It's like a patchwork quilt, warm, comfy, with lots to draw in your eyes. The kids love the flaps, but like most flappy books I've seen, the drawback is that they can tear under little hands.
Katie
Dec 13, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
At two months and counting, Josephine has loved this book- the 'lift the flap' features are a great surprise to her and the illustrations are perfect for her right now.
Jesi Rose
Jan 14, 2017 Jesi Rose rated it really liked it
A huge favourite of my 2 year old daughter for at least the last year or so. I'm pretty sure this book is the main way she learned the names for parts of her body. She really liked to say the name of whatever was hiding under the flap. I never would have bought this book since I found it unappealing, but I've discovered there's a lot to it and kids adore it.
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
Such a cute flap book that plays hide and seek with baby! This is a great book to use as an interactive activity with your young reader. I love that the illustrations embrace all the beautiful faces of babies.
Jolene
Jan 13, 2017 Jolene rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby-toddler
Bright colours, very simple text and nice big flaps make this a cute book for babies and toddlers. When my LO gets bigger, this will be a great book to use to start teaching the names of body parts.
Nicole Otting
Jan 05, 2017 Nicole Otting rated it liked it
A book gifted to us by my students- very cute!
Tory
Oct 04, 2016 Tory rated it really liked it
Shelves: Éowyn-s-reads
Practices object permanence with flaps and babies.
Rebecca Saxon
Katz's multicultural large faced babies are engaging for little ones. The flaps are large and ideal for babies to enjoy the surprise of revealing another baby beneath.

Delightful, colorful and fun. A true baby classic book. Ideal for one-on-one reading and storytimes. My son loves this, and Katz's other books.
David
Mar 13, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
Where Is Baby's Belly Button? by Karen Katz is a lift-the- flap book focusing on babies and body parts in a question and answer format.

Katz' colorful illustrations feature babies of various ethnic backgrounds looking for a specific body part. Body parts shown are the eyes, mouth, belly button, feet, and hands. The items hiding the body parts are hat, cup, shirt, cat, bubbles, and blanket. The question pages feature a bright background color: green, blue, gold, yellow and pink. My favorite images
jacky
Jul 02, 2010 jacky rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: older babies, toddlers
Recommended to jacky by: Parents Connect Nick Jr
June 2010 - We were passing a little time in Border's and I saw this in the board book section. Its possible that we had seen it before, either on our own or at story time, or it might have been a similar title. Anyway, I thought this book was very cute. I liked the flaps. We were shopping for lift the flap books, but this one was a little too short for the cost in my opinion. Natalie seemed to like it, and she even pulled down on of the flaps herself.

June 2011 - Natalie was really into this bo
Catherine Savoie
I think this book is an amamzing book. Not only is it a good read but if you have babys it is a good way for them to be able to learn where the different parts of there body are.
The wrods are easy for them to understand so that as they get a little older they can start reading it for themselves and understanding what it means on there own. It is alwasy good to have a book a child can read on theer own to make learn and understand that.
Then there is the pictures. They are colorful and ful of sh
Comfort Olajide
Oct 31, 2012 Comfort Olajide rated it really liked it
I read this book and it is a very colorful book with flip-the-flap. The book contains drawings of babies with some parts of their body hidden in flaps. Each page asks "where is baby's ......?" and the child will will lift the flaps to find the hidden pictures. The pictures are great with good fabric and wallpaper paterns. I will put this book on my shelf and I will recommend the book for toddlers to learn body parts.

Learning Experience:

Science: I will use this book to teach children to learn the
Robert Beveridge
Karen Katz, Where's Baby's Belly Button? (Simon and Schuster, 2000)

A lift-the-flaps book Karen Katz-style, with her distinctive illustrations and simple text. It's a lovely book, but it's getting a slightly lower review than I'd otherwise give it because it's not as well-constructed as it would be reasonable to expect given that much of the flap-lifting is going to be done by the pre-lit set; the flap on the back page, especially, is likely to start coming loose after just weeks of handling (it
Kristen
I realized that I never rated this book!! BLASPHEMY!

My 13 month old daughter LOVES this book. She absolutely loves opening on the flaps to see what under them. It also serves a duel purpose. I've taught her all of her body parts using this book. She knew a few before we started reading this 10 times a day (per her request), but this really set it off and she loves pointing to the body parts in the book, on me, or on her.

This is the best book for babies. I will be purchasing this for future baby
Savannah
Aug 21, 2013 Savannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Where is/are: Baby's eyes, mouth, belly button, feet, hands, baby? My son knows what eyes, mouth, belly button, feet, and hands and where they are. Working on teeth, fingers, toes, and tongue so this one is more review. I like showing him Toes, Ears, and Nose more because it covers the smaller or not so popular body parts. Trying to talk to him about knees, elbows, belly, back, bum, arms, and legs more also.
Karawan
Jun 29, 2011 Karawan rated it really liked it
This is a cute variation on Peek-a-Boo (one of Gavin's current interests!) that also introduces body parts like hands, eyes, belly button. Each page asks where one of baby's body parts is (it's hidden by clothing, the cat, etc.) and then there are flaps you can lift to reveal them.

Reading this to Gavin was exciting because this is the first book where he seemed to make the connection about opening the flaps by himself. So now I'm going to have to look for other flap books.
Connie
Aug 09, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it
Very round, very cute, very... childlike, for lack of a better word.

And I always appreciate the effort in making a multiracial cast of kids, not everybody does that.

Would be nice if the flaps were a little stronger, though. Unfortunately, they *will* rip off, so this book has to be supervised only :(
Missy Kirtley
It's all right. Honestly, I'm not sure what I think of the flap-books. They get torn and ripped, and the flaps go missing... sure it's fun the first couple of times, but then you have to be really careful and you get bored because there's no story, just silly pictures... my daughter wanted to read this one six times, and I was finished after the first read through.
Trish
Sep 05, 2016 Trish rated it really liked it
Shelves: je, 2016
This is a hide and seek book. It is a good interactive book. It has flap lifts.
Tymia Woods
Jun 28, 2015 Tymia Woods added it
Shelves: body-parts
This is another great book I have read a thousands times to my class of infants and toddlers. Once they learn where their belly button is they can't get enough of showing it no matter what time of day. This is also a fun book because it has the flip pages that makes it both entertaining and interacting during the read.
Shannon
Apr 21, 2008 Shannon rated it really liked it
Very cute book, my daughter loves it. She loves to lift the flaps, but she's still a little young and tries to rip the flaps off. (She's succeeded a few times actually.) We keep these books away from her reach, which is sad since she loves them so much and loves to play with books. Still, it's a great read for children, babies, and toddlers!
Ashley Lahr
This is an awesome book. On each page it will ask a question like where is baby's feet? Then on the next page it has a thing that you flip down to find baby's feet and it will say where the baby's feet are. This is a very interactive book for kids. You could even have them do the actions along with the book when looking for each body part.
Megababy
Feb 03, 2016 Megababy rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Megababy by: nana k
Shelves: own
We loved this! The illustrations are adorable as well as showing babies from different ethnic groups. The flaps are fun and got giggles out of my 3.5 month old baby ... though of course that could be as much the animation and surprise in my voice. I think it will be fun when he gets older to name and point to the different body parts also, assuming the flaps survive that long!
12/15/15
1/26/16
Cara Byrne
Feb 25, 2015 Cara Byrne rated it liked it
A nice peek-a-boo board book in which kids find a baby's belly button, toes and mouth, all hiding underneath flaps that need to be lifted to reveal what was hiding. I'm not a big fan of the illustrations, but the babies at story time certainly enjoyed looking through this book. (Lu was busy studying/trying to eat my shoe laces).
Taxandria
Jun 17, 2009 Taxandria rated it it was amazing
My daughter loves this book. The colors are bright and fun, the flaps are engaging (and I like interactive type books for babies), and when she lifts the flaps she smiles and laughs. I teach her the body parts with this book -- baby's eyes, baby's hands, baby's feet, baby's belly button. Also you can teach the objects used -- like the bubbles, hat, cup etc.
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose! (A Lift-the-Flap Book)
  • Peek-a-Zoo!
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Quiet Loud (Leslie Patricelli board books)
  • That's Not My Dinosaur (Usborne Touchy-Feely Books)
  • Horns to Toes and in Between
  • Planes
  • Daddy Kisses
  • Whose Toes are Those?
  • Global Babies
Karen Katz has written and illustrated many books for children, including The Colors of Us, Can You Say Peace, My First Ramadan, Counting Kisses and Where is Baby's Belly Button. Long inspired by folk art from around the world, she was inspired to write her first book, Over the Moon, when she and her husband adopted their daughter from Guatemala, and she wanted to tell the story of welcoming Lena ...more
More about Karen Katz...