Start by marking “Where Is Baby's Belly Button?” as Want to Read:
Where Is Baby's Belly Button?

Where Is Baby's Belly Button?

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  5,975 ratings  ·  142 reviews
Karen Katz's adorable babies play peekaboo in this delightful interactive book.

Where are Baby's hands?
Under the bubbles!
Where are baby's eyes?
Under her hat!

The sturdy format and easy-to-lift flaps are perfect for parents and children to share.
Board Book, 14 pages
Published September 1st 2000 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about Where Is Baby's Belly Button?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Is Baby's Belly Button?

Where Is Baby's Belly Button? by Karen KatzToes, Ears, & Nose! by Marion Dane BauerWhite on Black by Tana HobanGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownSmile! by Roberta Grobel Intrater
Great Books for Babies
1st out of 93 books — 8 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Shapes Las Formas by Othen Donald Dale CummingsThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
The All-Time Best Books for Toddlers
21st out of 101 books — 120 voters

More lists with this book...

Caris
May 15, 2010 Caris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Caris by: the girl
Shelves: 2010
Object permanence is fucking weird. Self-awareness is fucking weird. Being a baby, living in a crazy ass universe where things are, but then cease to be is fucking weird.

Here’s an example.

My daughter likes to kick the shit out of this inflatable penguin. It’s one of those things that has sand in the base so that it’ll pop back up once it is knocked down. It’s like that Chumbawamba tune, only it doesn’t make you want to kill yourself. She has fun with this penguin. But occasionally, while she’s p
Scott Rhee
The suspense is built from the very beginning with the enigmatic title, "Where is Baby's Belly Button?" Karen Katz's exciting thriller for newborns pits the young reader in a race against time to find the elusive belly button. First, though, she deftly navigates the young reader through a checklist of other elusive body parts, like the eyes, mouth, feet, and hands with the use of an amazing technology called "lift-the-flap". Where are baby's eyes? I'll be darned---they're under the baby's hat! W ...more
Lisa
I wasn't going to read this with Gabe until he got a bit older but we tried it out today and he dug. He was staring at the print, babies and flaps. At least at this young age he's not ripping the flaps off!
One of my daughter's early favorites, this lift-the-flap book used to send her into spasms of giggles when she was just a little infant. We ended up getting almost all of Karen Katz's books for her, and she's loved every one of them.

I've become a big Katz fan because her illustrations are not only charming, they always depict kids of various ethnic backgrounds. Another plus - her books are short. You parents out there know what I'm talking about! As much as we love reading to our kids and know t
Joanna
The colors are bright and beautiful, with lots of contrasting textures. It's like a patchwork quilt, warm, comfy, with lots to draw in your eyes. The kids love the flaps, but like most flappy books I've seen, the drawback is that they can tear under little hands.
Katie
At two months and counting, Josephine has loved this book- the 'lift the flap' features are a great surprise to her and the illustrations are perfect for her right now.
David
Where Is Baby's Belly Button? by Karen Katz is a lift-the- flap book focusing on babies and body parts in a question and answer format.

Katz' colorful illustrations feature babies of various ethnic backgrounds looking for a specific body part. Body parts shown are the eyes, mouth, belly button, feet, and hands. The items hiding the body parts are hat, cup, shirt, cat, bubbles, and blanket. The question pages feature a bright background color: green, blue, gold, yellow and pink. My favorite images
jacky
Jul 02, 2010 jacky rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: older babies, toddlers
Recommended to jacky by: Parents Connect Nick Jr
June 2010 - We were passing a little time in Border's and I saw this in the board book section. Its possible that we had seen it before, either on our own or at story time, or it might have been a similar title. Anyway, I thought this book was very cute. I liked the flaps. We were shopping for lift the flap books, but this one was a little too short for the cost in my opinion. Natalie seemed to like it, and she even pulled down on of the flaps herself.

June 2011 - Natalie was really into this bo
Catherine Savoie
I think this book is an amamzing book. Not only is it a good read but if you have babys it is a good way for them to be able to learn where the different parts of there body are.
The wrods are easy for them to understand so that as they get a little older they can start reading it for themselves and understanding what it means on there own. It is alwasy good to have a book a child can read on theer own to make learn and understand that.
Then there is the pictures. They are colorful and ful of sh
Cara Byrne
A nice peek-a-boo board book in which kids find a baby's belly button, toes and mouth, all hiding underneath flaps that need to be lifted to reveal what was hiding. I'm not a big fan of the illustrations, but the babies at story time certainly enjoyed looking through this book. (Lu was busy studying/trying to eat my shoe laces).
Tymia Woods
Jun 28, 2015 Tymia Woods added it
Shelves: body-parts
This is another great book I have read a thousands times to my class of infants and toddlers. Once they learn where their belly button is they can't get enough of showing it no matter what time of day. This is also a fun book because it has the flip pages that makes it both entertaining and interacting during the read.
Rosa Cline
This is an adorable baby book to start your baby-toddler out! It's a lift flap book revealing feet, eyes, mouth, belly button, and hands. PERFECT to help you teach your baby those items on themselves! And to help teach them simple words as they start speaking.
Comfort Olajide
I read this book and it is a very colorful book with flip-the-flap. The book contains drawings of babies with some parts of their body hidden in flaps. Each page asks "where is baby's ......?" and the child will will lift the flaps to find the hidden pictures. The pictures are great with good fabric and wallpaper paterns. I will put this book on my shelf and I will recommend the book for toddlers to learn body parts.

Learning Experience:

Science: I will use this book to teach children to learn the
Meg McGregor
A wonderful lift the flap book that will engage your little one in finding out where her eyes, mouth, nose, feet, and belly button are.

Wonderful illustrations, bright colors, and large lift the flaps, will make this one of your little ones favorite books!
Andrea
For some reason, this book is such a favorite--yet so simple. My daughter loves the flaps, and pointing out eyes, hands, bellybutton etc. It is a great book for toddlers.
Robert Beveridge
Karen Katz, Where's Baby's Belly Button? (Simon and Schuster, 2000)

A lift-the-flaps book Karen Katz-style, with her distinctive illustrations and simple text. It's a lovely book, but it's getting a slightly lower review than I'd otherwise give it because it's not as well-constructed as it would be reasonable to expect given that much of the flap-lifting is going to be done by the pre-lit set; the flap on the back page, especially, is likely to start coming loose after just weeks of handling (it
Jen
This is cute, but maybe too old for the baby at home because the flaps are too much to handle with her little graspy fingers. I don't want to rip the pages!
Elizabeth
I've avoided reading this forever because I do NOT like belly buttons, but this is about all different body parts, so I'm now okay with it.
Jaclyn Harrison
My 1 year old LOVES this book. We got it from the library a few days ago and it's all he wants to read. He finds it absolutely hysterical.
Melissa Frentsos
Cute book. The flaps are fun but not very durable. Babies do often seem to be really fascinated by their belly buttons.
Tiffany
Board book has flaps that open up and show babies' different body parts. Great for toddlers and babies.
Kimberly
Great early reader and vocabulary building book. This teaches body parts and location words.
Nicole
great,interactive board book that helps identify body parts. A big fan of Karen Katz at our house
Joy
(Am spending much of my LA trip reading to my nieces.)
Kaethe
Babies will enjoy it, parents will like it okay.
Shelley
5/14/2014 baby lap sit
5/14/2014 wonderful ones
Malia
Nov 17, 2014 Malia marked it as to-read
Kristin
Very cute. Clarabelle loves the flaps!
Karawan
This is a cute variation on Peek-a-Boo (one of Gavin's current interests!) that also introduces body parts like hands, eyes, belly button. Each page asks where one of baby's body parts is (it's hidden by clothing, the cat, etc.) and then there are flaps you can lift to reveal them.

Reading this to Gavin was exciting because this is the first book where he seemed to make the connection about opening the flaps by himself. So now I'm going to have to look for other flap books.
Savannah
Where is/are: Baby's eyes, mouth, belly button, feet, hands, baby? My son knows what eyes, mouth, belly button, feet, and hands and where they are. Working on teeth, fingers, toes, and tongue so this one is more review. I like showing him Toes, Ears, and Nose more because it covers the smaller or not so popular body parts. Trying to talk to him about knees, elbows, belly, back, bum, arms, and legs more also.
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose!: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • That's Not My Dinosaur
  • Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes
  • I Kissed the Baby!
  • Tails
  • Open the Barn Door, Find a Cow (A Chunky Book(R))
  • Trains
  • Gossie
Karen Katz has written and illustrated many books for children, including The Colors of Us, Can You Say Peace, My First Ramadan, Counting Kisses and Where is Baby's Belly Button. Long inspired by folk art from around the world, she was inspired to write her first book, Over the Moon, when she and her husband adopted their daughter from Guatemala, and she wanted to tell the story of welcoming Lena ...more
More about Karen Katz...
Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book The Colors of Us Daddy Hugs A Potty for Me! Where Is Baby's Mommy?: A Karen Katz Lift-the-Flap Book