Start by marking “The Great Elephant Chase” as Want to Read:
The Great Elephant Chase

The Great Elephant Chase

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  131 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
When the elephant came to town, Tad and Cissie went to the show like everyone else. Little did they know it would change their lives for ever. Because of the elephant, they get involved in a chase across America, by train, by flatboat, and steam boat. This book is the winner of the Whitbread Children's Novel Award and the Smarties Prize.
Unknown Binding
Published May 6th 2004 by Not Avail (first published April 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Elephant Chase, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Elephant Chase

Matt Linzey
May 28, 2012 Matt Linzey rated it liked it
This is a book that I have just finished reading after a conversation with one of my higher achieving year 6 pupils who loves his books and highly recommended it.

A wonderfully engaging adventure story between two really well developed characters - Tad and Cissie - which sees the orphan boy and his friend and her elephant travel across the country to avoid Hannibal Jackson.

A tense atmosphere is created within this story which is balanced out wonderfully by a witty humour. The book is a real page-
Devon
Jul 06, 2015 Devon rated it really liked it
This is a childhood favourite of mine, one that I’ve reread more times than I can count. I’ve never tired of it. It’s the heart-warming story of two outcasts burdened by their own guilt – Tad, the slow, clumsy boy who’s spent his whole life being told he is worthless and Cissy, small and frail looking but with a ferocious will – and the elephant who brings them together. Make no mistake, Khush is as much a character and hero in this story as the children. If he wasn’t, we wouldn’t care so much a ...more
Miss Amanda
gr 4-6 193 pgs

1881, PA/Western US. 15 year old Tad didn't mean to runaway with the traveling medicine show. But, just like his aunt says, he can't seem to do anything right. But the elephant's owner Michael Keenan offers him a job and unlike Tad's aunt, is happy with how well Tad takes care of the elephant. When Michael Keenan is murdered, Tad and Michael Keenan's daughter Cissie begin a race toward Cissie's sister's home in Nebraska and safety. They hope to be able to reach Nebraska before the
Debs Awesomeo
Yet another childhood gem
Joseph
Nov 09, 2014 Joseph rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I would give this book 4.5 stars but since that is not posible I'm stuck with four. This is a great book with lots of twists. I found it hard not to read it at any opportunity. This book may be sutible for adults but I would say its for young adults (like me).

It is about a yong boy called tad who hides away in a elephant create and eventualy steals it along with the owners daughter to stop his unlikeable cook and partner stealing it. There are many great twists along there journey!
Dieuwke
The first two chapters pull you in, with sentences that promise lots of action and unexpected twists. And the delivers what it promises: a fantastic voyage of two kids and an elephant. Just when traveling gets a bit boring, a chase, a good or a bad character pops up, keeping it an easy and entertaining read.
I particularly focused on the growth of the characters and must admit the tipping point for Tad happens too sudden. From being ordered around to being able to see himself as a worthy human be
Molly
Mar 13, 2014 Molly rated it really liked it
When I was younger this was my most favorite book. I recommend it to anyone after a emotional story that will leave you anticipating the next chapter.
Sharon
Jun 23, 2014 Sharon added it
I really liked this book when I was younger. I remember finishing it, then promptly starting the story again.
Barbra
Feb 17, 2014 Barbra rated it it was amazing
It takes a little to plow through the beginning of this nineteenth century adventure, but once we learn about Tad and how he came to be stowed away in an elephant trailer, the images seem to fly of the pages. We follow Tad and Cissy as they travel by train, flatboat and steamboat with Khush the elephant, all the while trying to keep him hidden from an evil con man. I loved the way you could see, hear and smell every scene. For confident readers age 10 – 12
Lucy
Feb 16, 2008 Lucy rated it liked it
It was a good book. it had a good storyline, but it was very hard to imagine what was happening.
River
River rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Miha
Miha rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Mary Walker
Mary Walker rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
maya levin
maya levin is currently reading it
May 28, 2016
Avnee Paranjape
Avnee Paranjape rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Carmen Rotaru
Carmen Rotaru marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Mya
Mya marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
nlytmr
nlytmr marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Ghina Nabil
Ghina Nabil marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Bogdan Teodorescu
Bogdan Teodorescu marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Natasha Daud
Natasha Daud marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Ros Pilgrim
Ros Pilgrim rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
PJ Mblt
PJ Mblt rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Louisa Tamburro
Louisa Tamburro rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Mona
Mona rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
  • The Bread Winner
  • Eliza's Freedom Road: An Underground Railroad Diary
  • The Puppeteer's Apprentice
  • Farmer Boy Goes West
  • Will at the Battle of Gettysburg 1863 (Boys of Wartime)
  • Ivy Takes Care
  • Gratefully Yours
  • A Papa Like Everyone Else
  • Who Comes with Cannons?
  • Play to the Angel
  • Touched by Fire
Gillian Cross was born Gillian Arnold in 1945. She was educated at North London Collegiate School, Somerville College, Oxford and the University of Sussex. Although now a full-time writer who often travels and gives talks in connection with her work, she has had a number of informal jobs including being an assistant to a Member of Parliament. For eight years she also sat on the committee which adv ...more
More about Gillian Cross...