Start by marking “The Great Elephant Chase” as Want to Read:
The Great Elephant Chase

The Great Elephant Chase

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  9 reviews
When the elephant came to town, Tad and Cissie went to the show like everyone else. Little did they know it would change their lives for ever. Because of the elephant, they get involved in a chase across America, by train, by flatboat, and steam boat. This book is the winner of the Whitbread Children's Novel Award and the Smarties Prize.
Unknown Binding
Published May 6th 2004 by Not Avail (first published April 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Elephant Chase, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Elephant Chase

Matt Linzey
This is a book that I have just finished reading after a conversation with one of my higher achieving year 6 pupils who loves his books and highly recommended it.

A wonderfully engaging adventure story between two really well developed characters - Tad and Cissie - which sees the orphan boy and his friend and her elephant travel across the country to avoid Hannibal Jackson.

A tense atmosphere is created within this story which is balanced out wonderfully by a witty humour. The book is a real page-
Miss Amanda
gr 4-6 193 pgs

1881, PA/Western US. 15 year old Tad didn't mean to runaway with the traveling medicine show. But, just like his aunt says, he can't seem to do anything right. But the elephant's owner Michael Keenan offers him a job and unlike Tad's aunt, is happy with how well Tad takes care of the elephant. When Michael Keenan is murdered, Tad and Michael Keenan's daughter Cissie begin a race toward Cissie's sister's home in Nebraska and safety. They hope to be able to reach Nebraska before the
Debs Awesomeo
Yet another childhood gem
Joseph
I would give this book 4.5 stars but since that is not posible I'm stuck with four. This is a great book with lots of twists. I found it hard not to read it at any opportunity. This book may be sutible for adults but I would say its for young adults (like me).

It is about a yong boy called tad who hides away in a elephant create and eventualy steals it along with the owners daughter to stop his unlikeable cook and partner stealing it. There are many great twists along there journey!
Dieuwke
The first two chapters pull you in, with sentences that promise lots of action and unexpected twists. And the delivers what it promises: a fantastic voyage of two kids and an elephant. Just when traveling gets a bit boring, a chase, a good or a bad character pops up, keeping it an easy and entertaining read.
I particularly focused on the growth of the characters and must admit the tipping point for Tad happens too sudden. From being ordered around to being able to see himself as a worthy human be
Molly
When I was younger this was my most favorite book. I recommend it to anyone after a emotional story that will leave you anticipating the next chapter.
Sharon
Jun 23, 2014 Sharon added it
I really liked this book when I was younger. I remember finishing it, then promptly starting the story again.
Barbra
It takes a little to plow through the beginning of this nineteenth century adventure, but once we learn about Tad and how he came to be stowed away in an elephant trailer, the images seem to fly of the pages. We follow Tad and Cissy as they travel by train, flatboat and steamboat with Khush the elephant, all the while trying to keep him hidden from an evil con man. I loved the way you could see, hear and smell every scene. For confident readers age 10 – 12
Lucy
It was a good book. it had a good storyline, but it was very hard to imagine what was happening.
Jane Morrill
Jane Morrill marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Nada
Nada marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Donna Beeckman
Donna Beeckman marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Cara Goodchild
Cara Goodchild marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Elss Library
Elss Library marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Gillian Cross was born Gillian Arnold in 1945. She was educated at North London Collegiate School, Somerville College, Oxford and the University of Sussex. Although now a full-time writer who often travels and gives talks in connection with her work, she has had a number of informal jobs including being an assistant to a Member of Parliament. For eight years she also sat on the committee which adv ...more
More about Gillian Cross...
The Demon Headmaster The Odyssey After Tomorrow The Dark Ground (The Dark Ground Trilogy, #1) Where I Belong