Slightly Shady (Lake/March, #1)

Slightly Shady (Lake & March #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  2,823 ratings  ·  109 reviews
Amanda Quick's bestselling trademark is a combination of suspense and passion in historical tales alight with sparkling wit and brimming with dangerous intrigue. Now she serves up the most tantalizing novel of her career as an enterprising woman allies herself with a mysterious spy, only to be caught in a seething brew of treachery — and temptation....

From the moment he bu...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Slightly Shady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slightly Shady

Carrie
TBR Challenge 2012- February category: Recommended by another reader. this was recommended by my daughter Hannah. Added Feb 2011.

3.5/5 Grade B

Slightly Shady is a solid effort by Amanda Quick. The dialog, between all the characters not just the leads, was smart and witty. Tobias is a wonderfully grouchy hero. Lavinia is a fairly typical Quick/Krentz heroine, which is to say a somewhat unconventional bluestocking who is matter-of-fact and independent-minded. The secondary characters Emiline and An...more
Nura
buku HR pertama yang gw baca di mana H/H gak berakhir dengan menikah. meskipun hero-nya gak perfect, tapi malah jadi menarik. heroine-nya khas AQ, widower. suka sama candaannya Tobias yang sering bilang yah, semua emang salah gw kok (terjemahan bebas)ke Lavinia. ada percakapan yang logis banget (menurut gw) antara kedua penyelidik swasta ini.

T: "Why is it that I am always the one who must produce the money when it is required in this
investigation?"
L: "You can put it on your client's bill."
T: "It
Steven
I almost didn't read this one. I read the second one then the third one and loved them both. I read some of the bad comments and skipped this one then I decided to read it. Why were some people so mean to this one, it was great. Even a bad Amanda book is a four star. Lavinia and Lake are the original Dallas and Roarke. Do not skip this one, read it first with no fear.
Sabrina (Soter) Sally
3 e 1/2
— Sarei disposto a darti ragione, ma non voglio correre altri rischi. In questa storia nulla è mai quello che sembra. “Te compreso” pensò lei. “Tu, Tobias March, sei stata la sorpresa più grande di tutte.”

Amanda Quick crea sempre romanzi originali, in particolare si sbizzarrisce con le sue eccentriche eroine, forse poco realistiche per quei tempi, ma certo molto divertenti XD Anche qui non si smentisce, anzi Lavinia e Tobias hanno praticamente due caratteri quasi uguali, entrambi testardi...more
gina~*
This is the first in the Lavinia Lake/Tobias March Series. It is the book that has turned me on to historical romance and now im hooked!!!! Amanda Quick is my favorite author because she writes the perfect mix of suspense, mystery and of coarse the romance!!
Karina Sukarmin
First series of Lake & March and I almost didn't read this one because I read the second one first. And now i have completed the series of Lake & March. I love how Tobias and Lavinia been thrown together under mysterious circumstances.

When the story ends they agree to work together again, and I am looking forward to finding a new story with them as characters.

I like how Quick put the characters and the dialog so witty. There is no boring moment, romantic, erotic, fast moving plot,etc. I...more
Ashley Lauren
This just didn't do it for me overall. It had some definite perks but low enough lows that I just cannot say I enjoyed it.

Let's start with the perk. Quick has a pretty interesting story going on here. Sure, it gets a bit hokey and far-fetched but the overall mystery and excitement of it is pretty well done. There's a mystery in here that goes far more indepth than I anticipated and it's wrapped up nicely too, so I'll give some kudos there.

Unfortunately, that is where my praise ends. The rest of...more
Suzanne Moore
Lelyana Taufik
Satu lagi novel Amanda Quick yang menarik perhatian saya, dengan genre yang tidak biasa, romance detective..buat saya, romance ya romance, detektif ya detektif. Menarik membaca kedua hal ini di gabungkan.
Dua karakter nya, Tobias March dan Lavinia Lake, yang orang biasa yang selalu kekurangan uang menurut saya sangat menarik diangkat dalam penokohan, mengingat biasanya tokok2 di HR biasanya selalu glamour dan kaum bangsawan.

Bertemu dengan ending yang didak enak berupa pengusiran Lavinia dari Ita...more
Pam
Oct 09, 2008 Pam rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans; those who like strong women characters
Tasneem
Amanda Quick's style reminds me of M.C. Beaton. And since I adore Beaton, Quick was very much in keeping to my taste. Her characters are quirky, witty and full of spirit. The twists and turns in the plot are nicely done and the writing does not drag. All in all, a very enjoyable read.

The heroine Lavinia is a spirited woman, who married young to a man full of poetry. However, his untimely death has meant that she has had to struggle to make ends meet, and she longs to give her niece a proper seas...more
Stacie  M. Ritchie
This is another Amanda Quick story that grabbed my attention. Tobias and Lavinia have been thrown together under mysterious circumstances. Lavinia is working hard to establish herself in a new career and a decent husband for her niece. In her new inquiries she finds Tobias on the scene of a murder. Throughout this story the relationship between the two because very intriguing and interesting. They embark themselves on a different type of relationship and figure out through the lies and surfaces...more
Jane
Enjoyable enough but very little sense of period. Regency? Victorian? I assume the former but it felt vague. And the constant use of 'bloody hell' jarred. A lady wouldn't swear and a gentleman wouldn't in front of her.
Lisa
Slightly Shady sees the start of the professional partnership between Lavinia Lake and Tobias March who make private and discreet enquiries for people.

I didn't enjoy this book as much as the others I've read by Amanda Quick (Jayne Ann Krentz), I'm afraid to say. What was most irritating was the repetition of "Bloody Hell" from both of the protagonists at any given opportunity. It was just a bit too much.

That said, there were a few good laughs in the story, and while the development of the romanc...more
Holly
Amanda Quick combines a historical romance with a good mystery.
This is the first in a series of 3 to be read in order.
This story is the very romantic, mysterious, and compelling tale of Lavinia Lake and Tobias March.
Tobias is Alpha male all the way, yet he has met his match with Lavinia. They combine forces(actually become partners, in more ways than one) to solve a murder.
Amanda Quick's characters are so compelling, and the dialog so witty, once you are pulled in, you want to stay till the en...more
LJ
Slightly Shady - G
Quick, Amanda (Jayne Ann Krentz) - 1st in Lavinia Lake/Tobias March series

Lavinia Lake, is an Englishwoman who returns to England after her antiques shop in Rome is destroyed by a stranger who claims to be on the trail of criminals. Upon her arrival, Lavinia becomes the target of a blackmailer, who turns up dead when she attempts to meet him. Waiting for her at the scene is the man who destroyed her shop, a P.I. named Tobias March. In her desperate quest to find the source of t...more
Clarabel
Plus que de la romance historique, c'est en fait une intrigue policière que renferme ce livre. Et quel bonheur ! On croirait presque un titre de la coll. Grands Détectives, avec juste une scène où nos chéris s'envoient en l'air dans un attelage. Cela aurait été dommage de s'en priver ! J'ai beaucoup aimé le couple formé par Lavinia et Tobias, tous les deux s'insupportent du fait de leur tempérament impulsif et orgueilleux, ils s'associent pour régler une sordide affaire de chantage et ils finiss...more
Normally, I really enjoy Quick's books, but this one just felt phoned in - the relationships and emotions felt contrived. I had been reading everything she published for awhile and about when this came out, I stopped. I got back into Quick through the Arcane Society novels which I have been really enjoying - this actually felt like a bit of a test run for those. I can't decide if I should continue with the Lake/March novels or not - I may try one more. This makes two disappointing romances in a...more
Melody
This had all the markings of an Amanda Quick/Jayne Anne Krentz novel, but was slightly disappointing. A lot of the threads were tied up in a deus ex machina fashion. Things became resolution that were not even subtly hinted at earlier in the novel. Additionally there were a lot of awkward transitions inside chapters. I'm not sure if it was because I was reading a Kindle edition, but there was no double spacing or line breaks when the focus within a chapter shifted dramatically. Nevertheless, I'm...more
Jill
I did not like this one at all. I don't know why I even finished it. The main character was completely unlikeable. I kept waiting and waiting for there to be something under the snootiness, etc. Nothing. I can't imagine what Tobias saw in her. Although I did wonder if I would have had a different reaction had I read it and not listened to it. Probably not--there would be times when she was all indignant and would get mad and it was so unwarranted! It was too bad, too. I usually like Amanda Quick...more
Diane
Enjoyed this series
Roxann
This wasn't a great book--well at least for me. I don't read a great many romance novels. I wasn't sold onto the main characters--Lavinia Lake, is an Englishwoman who returns to England after her shop in Rome is destroyed by a stranger who claims to be looking for criminals that were using her shop. Her character is 'unreal' to me. Tobias March is the investigator looking into the crimes. He seems more of a bully then anything else. AND yes the two character 'get together' at the end.
Art
Pretty good. A really quick read (pun intended), for a boring afternoon. A typical regency type mystery/romance, with victorian attitudes towards women and their being anything approaching a professional. Lavinia Lake, almost poverty-stricken, is rescued from sure death by Tobias March in Italy, then again and again in England, after she takes on a parallel role as a private detective, forcing him to eventually take her as a partner. Only a tiny bit of sex, not very graphic.
Jean
This series is okay. I liked the suspense aspect of the story but not so much the characters with the exception of the niece and brother-in-law. My general pet peeve is that I don't enjoy older characters acting more immature than their younger counterparts. Both Tobias and Lavania can off childish and immature compared to Anthony and Emeline. With that said, while not her better works, it was an interesting premise with a lot of wasted potential.
Deirdre
Starting with the destruction of Lavinia Lake's antiquities shop by a Mr Tobias March who is in pursuit of a killer and determined to save Lavinia from possibly herself. The two end up teaming up in London and find themselves sharing adventures and terribly attracted to each other.

It's a fun read, nothing to get terribly excited about and if you scratch the surface there are a lot of historical inaccuracies lurking but for it's type it isn't bad.
nurmawati

baguuuussssss......gak nyangka ternyata amanda quick sebagus ini......
gw suka buku misteri yang ada romance2 nya...
yang ini beneran banyak misteri nya...ttg pembunuhan penjahat, mistress nya seorang lord dan adegan suka-benci diantara tokoh utamanya lavinia lake dan tobiar march...
belum lagi keponakan lavina, emmeline dan adik ipar nya tobias (anthony) yang sepertinya saling suka....
gak sabar nunggu buku selanjutnya secara ini trilogy....
Vina
kasih 3 bintang.
baca buku ini abis baca defy not the heart & joining lanjut duchess by night, jd nya ... blm dpt feel di buku ini, janji akan dibaca ulang... secepatnya, abis baca the naked duke ....... ^o^

16 Oct 2011, baca ulang Slightly Shady,
ternyata oh ternyata lumayan banyak yang gw lewatkan sewaktu baca buku ini pertama kali.
pantes aja kemaren gak dapat feel nya, bacanya sambil ngantuk hehehe...
jd revisi kasih 3.5 bintang ^o^
Amor
Una relectura que me ha costado acabar.
Maria
The first of a three-book series, Tobias March and Lavinia Lake meet, fight, and learn to work tempestuously together in their chosen profession of private investigation. The plot has wonderful twists and turns, and although I've read this book many times, I still enjoy it immensely, not least because Lavinia is a small, feisty, independent woman who is quite able to deal with the socially inept but brilliant Tobias.
Stacy
This is the first in a trilogy featuring Lavinia Lake (don’t you just love that name?) and Tobias March. This book set up the trilogy nicely and although this book is not a favorite of mine I am curious enough about some of the characters – such as her niece and client- that I may look for the next book.

there's more on my blog http://stacybuckeye.wordpress.com/200...
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Slightly Shady (2001) Book 1 1 3 Sep 27, 2012 11:39AM
  • Soft Focus
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni...more
More about Amanda Quick...
Ravished Second Sight (Arcane Society, #1) The Paid Companion Dangerous Mistress