Start by marking “Mouse and Dragon” as Want to Read:
Mouse and Dragon

Mouse and Dragon (Liaden Universe #7)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  1,301 ratings  ·  76 reviews
The Latest Novel in the Exciting Liaden Universe Space Adventure Series. The Sequel to Saltation.

Aelliana Caylon has endured much, and finally, she appears to have won all: a spaceship, comrades, friends -- and the love of a pilot she adores.

Published June 1st 2010 by BAEN

To ask other readers questions about Mouse and Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mouse and Dragon

Ugh. I love this series, but I disliked this book. I liked the prequel, Scout's Progress, much more than Mouse and Dragon. On the positive side, there are some tender scenes between Daav and Aelliana. It was good to see Aelliana (abused so horribly for over a decade) continue to grow a spine. Their wedding scene was certainly unexpected, and mildly amusing. I liked the (few) scenes when Aelliana and Daav went off-world, beginning her courier business (wanted more of that thread, and later found ...more
Lynn Calvin
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

The first time I read this series 'Mouse and Dragon' wasn't published. Daav and Aelliana's story ended on a positive note at the end of Scout's Progress. Yet, as I meandered through the other parts of the this intriguing universe it became clear that 'events' had occurred. A child, was born...the reader meets Val Con in the Conflict of Honors series. (view spoiler)
Whew, hard book to review. Not because it's not a page turning novel because it is - do not start this when you have other things pending [such as cookies in the oven, children in need of transport, or parents needing to be picked up at the airport:]. Those of us who have read the books that are chronologically later know what has to happen in this book - and that's what makes this a hard review for me. So let's leave it as:
Great book, great read, great plot, great characters - and have the late
Lee and Miller are in fine form in this direct sequel to Scout's Progress.
Though the book can stand alone, it has a whole lot more emotional weight if you have read Scout's Progress.
It looks like Daav and Aelliana are finally free to declare their love and forge a life together. But, that would be too simple! Of course there are obstacles!! Her clan does not want to lose her, members of his clan are reluctant to welcome her and then there are outside forces at work too.
Marvelous addition to the
This book was a sequel to Scout's Progress, one of my all-time favorites in this series. Mouse and Dragon, while excellent, wasn't quite as good. The book was fantastic up until Daav and Aelliana became officially lifemated. It was a lovely look at their relationship as they grew closer and Aelliana healed emotionally from her family's abuse and blossomed into a fully self-confident woman. However, I really wish the book had ended there.

After the lifemating, though, the book became fragmented. I
Sherwood Smith
Though this book is a must for all Liaden fans, for the very same reason it's a must I don't recommend new readers begin here. Far better to read Agent of Change or even I Dare and enjoy the full range of Liaden tales, which intersect more like Keltic knotwork than in linear fashion.

Therefore no summary, as just about everything is a spoiler. I will state that this book forms the second half of Scout's Progress. Readers are in the position of knowing what is going to come: this book is all about
Another great installement in the Liaden series.
Best read directly following Scout's Progress, this book also ties into the new series that begins with Fledgling and continues with Saltation.
I am always psyched for any new Liaden book and I was not disappointed. This is the sequel to Scout's Progress, so we get to see more of Daav and Aelliana's life. But more than being just a sequel for these characters it really ties a lot of other character history together as well. It really helps pull Fledgling and Saltation solidly into the Korval circle, because we see snippets of Jen Sar Kiladi and it explained a norbear sequence from Saltation that I wondered about. It made everything feel ...more
Another lovely,lovely book from Lee and Miller. I'm so glad I have finally read it - although I'm not sorry I waiting until after a reread of Scout's Progress as this on begins where that one ends.

There were some sad parts - as I knew there would be - but overall it was most enjoyable and left me feeling that all the pieces are now in place for the later books.

I had been planning to continue my reread by going to Val Con and Miri's first book, but I've decided to go back and do the earlier chron
This was a hard book for me to finish. Not because it was boring or badly-written, but because as a "fill-in" book in the series, I knew exactly how it was going to end and I really didn't want the final events to happen (talk about vague, sorry).

So it was a peculiar reading experience - I kept on dipping in and out of the book, and maybe because of this, I never really got properly into the world, and found the characters and the language overdone at times. But when I took a deep breath and fi
I still feel like this series is sort of thin, but this was a nice follow-up to Scout's Progress. It was kind of oddly paced -- the first three-quarters tells one story, and the last quarter jumps ahead five years and tells a different story, which felt odd to me. I didn't feel like either story needed to be longer, but it was still weird to put them in a book together.

Still like the characters. The universe still feels thick and thought-out in some places and just sort of patched together in o
Another story in the universe of Liad. Here we have what jumps you right into the action as a continuation. It has a very poor sense of time, the first half of the books seems to be an hour by hour tale of what happens in that continuation, and then we jump to months and years.

Ultimately this is a book that is entirely backstory, though the authors try to call this a tale of manners, which I think it is not. Not nearly as good as their previous work.

The tale of Liad has advanced far further th

Even better that her lover—the man who was destined for her, a man as much a loner as she—is also the Delm of Korval, arguably the most powerful person on all of Liad. He has the power to remove her and protect her from the toxic environment of her home

For me, this novel comes immediately before the first Lee & Miller story I read, Breath's Duty. It actually fits neatly within the series of the original space opera. I did find it interesting reading this book knowing what has happened significantly later in the timeline and wondered how it would have differed if I'd read these in chronological order. Still, I found it another great read that did not suffer at all from having a good idea where this story would end.
Rosalind M
I love the voice and the interactions and, perhaps, the formality of the Liaden characters. The strong world-building and society-building in this series make each one of these books a pleasure, even when the pace slows down a bit too much.
This is a linear story with no surprises. The plot is not particularly complex and I found it a bit over-the-top emotionally. A good bit of detail (40%) could have been eliminated making it a cleaner, quicker read.
Emily (BellaGrace)
3.5 - until the last couple chapters of the book my thought was "this story is really unnecessary". I thought the previous book about the main characters was enough about them. I guess if I had been reading in publishing order instead of chronological order, I would have know what was coming - since the ending had direct bearing on the life of Val Con - hero of the original books. However, I thought the story line that lead the ending was really thin and improbable and what Daav decided to do ab ...more
mostly a retread from start to finish. And I didn't like the end.
I thought I was reading these books in order but this one flips me backward to give the story of Theo Waitley's father. However, I think it was well-read in that order. It was more a romance in a science fiction setting than the others so far. There was lots of dramatic tension because I knew the final outcome of the story in loose terms, given the history that had been handed down in the Liaden world and spilled over to the planets that Theo loved on. I kept expecting the the climax in every ev ...more
[April 2015] Reread. And yes, now that I'm caught up on the series, I understand why this novel had to end the way it did (though I think I cried about it even more this time around, because I have come to love Daav and Aelliana so much.) But the ending of Dragon Ship contained certain tantalizing clues that a change in their circumstances may be forthcoming--and I remain hopeful that the next book, Dragon in Exile, will reward those of us who have been waiting all this time with our fingers tig ...more
Picks up precisely where _Scout's Progress_ left off. Although Aelliana Caylon is now a qualified pilot and has escaped from her abusive brother, problems still exist. Her clan wants her back. Her relationship with Daav yos'Phelium, the delm of Korval, has been strangely affected by her abuse. And there is someone or someones making pilots disappear down by the docks...

Although I think this book stands alone, I really think you have to read _Scout's Progress_ for the beginning to make much sense
I’m not sure what I expected, but this novel wasn’t it. Lee and Miller always include a heavy dose of romance in their Liaden novels, but the primary plot is action-adventure. That is not the structure of this book. The action-adventure bits are primarily a “B” plot, or maybe even a “C” plot; they’re granted very little time. Primarily this is a romance – it continues the story of Daav and Aelliana that looked to be happily wrapped up at the end of Scout’s Progress. The theme of this book seems ...more
A science fiction romance fantasy. SF because there are space ships and alien critters. The story is the courting of Daav and Aelliana, Val Con's parents; it's between an upper class man, and less upper class woman who has to learn to manage social alliances, but there are no concerns about money (Daav starts with a fortune, but it's unclear how it was generated). There are rules in this society about family duty vs personal duty that must be navigated. The fantasy aspect is how quickly Aelliana ...more
Another fine addition to Lee and Miller's Liaden series. This one is an immediate sequel to Scout's Progress. I really enjoyed the central characters in that book, and wanted to read more of their lives. One of the strengths of this series is the characters, and this story in particular is character driven, with very little action or adventure.
The down side to this tight character focus is that when anything other than character interaction occurs, it feels almost like an interruption. That was
Electric Landlady
I've always wanted to learn more about Daav and Aelliana from Scout's Progress and this book delivers in spades. Watching them learn to negotiate their new relationship and fend off attacks by other family members, with Aelliana come into her own, is a joy. Plus bonus Anne and Er Thom. (view spoiler) ...more
Kris Sellgren
I've just discovered the wonderful Liaden series, a cross between space opera and a Regency romance. I started in mid-series, and have been reading books out of order. This leads to temporal anomalies. Mouse and Dragon is a direct sequel to a book I haven't read, so I didn't know the events of the night before the novel started. I knew how this novel was going to end, and even so, it was a four Kleenex read.
Cynthia Armistead
I'm so pleased that Lee and Miller decided to give us the story of Daav and Aelliana after Pilots Choice. (Earlier they had claimed that there was nothing to tell there.)

The story is a lovely one, definitely romantic, told almost entirely from Aelliana's point of view. Those who have read the other Liaden novels know how it will end, but the details are well worth reading. It fills in some details that are helpful to know leading up to Fledgling (Theo Waitley, #1).
Goodreads Librari...: Mouse and Dragon 9 27 Aug 17, 2011 10:54AM
  • An Accidental Goddess
  • Riders of the Storm (Stratification, #2)
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
  • Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (Vorkosigan Saga, #15)
  • Catch the Lightning (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #2)
  • Endless Blue
  • Fires of Nuala
Sharon Lee has been married to her first husband for more than half her lifetime; she is a friend to cats, a member of the National Carousel Association, and oversees the dubious investment schemes of an improbable number of stuffed animals.

Despite having been born in a year of the dragon, Sharon is an introvert. She lives in Maine because she likes it there. In fact, she likes it so much that she
More about Sharon Lee...

Liaden Universe (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Crystal Soldier (The Great Migration Duology, #1) (Liaden Universe, #1)
  • Crystal Dragon (The Great Migration Duology, #2) (Liaden Universe, #2)
  • Balance of Trade (Liaden Universe, #3)
  • Trade Secret (Liaden Universe, #4)
  • Local Custom (Liaden Universe, #5)
  • Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6)
  • Conflict of Honors (Liaden Universe, #8)
  • Agent of Change (Liaden Universe, #9)
  • Carpe Diem (Liaden Universe, #10)
  • Plan B (Liaden Universe, #11)
Agent of Change (Liaden Universe, #9) Fledgling (Theo Waitley, #1; Liaden Universe, #12) Conflict of Honors (Liaden Universe, #8) Local Custom (Liaden Universe, #5) I Dare (Liaden Universe, #13)