Start by marking “Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with Sensoryprocessing Issues” as Want to Read:

For children with sensory difficulties-those who struggle to process everyday sensations and exhibit unusual behaviors such as avoiding or seeking out touch, movement, sounds, and sights-this groundbreaking book is an invaluable resource. Sensory integration dysfunction, also known as sensory processing disorder, affects all kinds of children-from those with developmental ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Penguin Books (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Raising a Sensory Smart Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising a Sensory Smart Child

Jackie Olson
Jul 08, 2011 Jackie Olson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read all the books in this genre, I'm particualarly impressed with this one written by Lindsey Biel and nancy Peske. The book is PACKED with information and I find myself using it often as a reference.

The authors start with understaning your child (and I find this helps understand yourself and family too!). They explain the seven senses in detail and how and why their functioning is important and how their senses alter their behavior.

The next section is about working with Occupational T
Megan
This book is a very complete reference for parents who have a child severely affected by sensory disorders. (Or, I suppose, individuals.) It had a ton of information and ideas for seeking therapy or dealing with school issues. The book does throw out a number of concrete examples of things that can be done to help with a variety of sensory issues.

My biggest gripe is that I don't think it had very specific information for children who might have sensory difficulties, but aren't likely to seek ou
Kathleen O'Grady
Tremendous store of good advice based in evidence and experience. I have almost nothing negative to say about this enormously helpful book.

Almost -- though I'm not sure this counts as negative. There is so much useful information packed into the almost 450 pages, that I felt it overly dense and text-heavy at times. I wished they had spaced it out more (bigger text and smaller sections or over two books), added more pictures generally and more clearly separated out the helpful tips from the theor
Emily
Jan 17, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was empowering. My child has sensory issues, but doesn't quite fit any "mold" of a child with sensory integration issues. I've read the Out of Sync Child, and it was okay. This book almost made me hyper because it gave me so many ideas that would benefit my child and those that I work with professionally. It was by far the most comprehensive, user friendly, and applicable book on sensory integration that I've read to date. I actually ENJOYED it. I highly recommend it to anyone who has ...more
Ruth
Apr 24, 2014 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is THE definitive parenting book for those raising a child with serious sensory issues. It actually helped me be a better partner to our pediatrician and our occupational therapist. It was sometimes emotionally difficult to read but well worth it.
Jackie London
Dec 04, 2016 Jackie London rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comprehensive look at sensory issues with children and how to help. Massive amounts of situations and solutions. Highly recommend to parents, teachers, and caregivers.
Aug 19, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book on recommendation from Willa. While I don't see any Sensory Issues with my son, I do see the need for more activation of the senses, and he needs more sensory in his life. This book has a wonderful list of suggestions for a "Sensory Diet", and also a list of top 50 toys. It's interesting how so many of the suggestions follow along a Montessori classroom/philosophy. I took extensive notes, because I can see how I need to be intentionally planning sensory activities within his s ...more
Kelly
Apr 26, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This books offers a lot of encouragement and details on how to handle specific sensory challenges that come up at different ages and stages. Super helpful information and resources. I will be going back to this book again and again for help with picky eaters, calming techniques, and even ideas for more peace for myself! Great section on teen and adult needs, which you don't often see in these books.
Jenny Hobson
Aug 05, 2012 Jenny Hobson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book with lots of strategies. As an early childhood teacher, my experience is that all little ones have some sensory struggle that makes their life more difficult, even if it's something minor. This book has a tip for virtually every behavior you can think of. As a parent of kids with mild sensory issues, I'm finding this book invaluable. I'm especially grateful to the authors for addressing sensory needs from very early childhood to adulthood.
Holly
Jun 03, 2012 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well done and very thorough resource for parents with a child with sensory integration issues. In truth I skimmed much of this as I am a grandparent of a toddler undergoing therapy for some sensory integration issues so much of the book was not pertinent for my role. Nevertheless, it's very reassuring, supportive and straightforward in describing the various sensory issues, therapeutic approaches, developmental issues and challenges.
Leigh
Apr 08, 2009 Leigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was kind of a jumping off point for sensory issues. Which was good, but I felt like I now need to kind of dive in and I'm going to need more resources. I think I have 2 children with mild sensory dysfunction and I'd like to help them out. I wanted this book to tell me what to do, but I suppose that's a difficult thing to get from a book.
Kelcey Murdoch
Oct 14, 2012 Kelcey Murdoch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great for getting a better understanding of sensory processing difficulties! As an occupational therapy student, I found it more helpful in understanding SPD than most of my text books and it was packed full treatment ideas that can be beneficial for both the family and therapists to use. It was also an easy read that was informative, but not boring.
Cinnamon
Aug 31, 2007 Cinnamon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who have children with ADHD/ADD and sensory disorders.
This book gave me great insight into how sensory disorders can cause various behaviors in children. I also gained tools and ideas to help give my child with SID, the sensory input or reduce sensory input depending on his behaviors and environment to help him develop the skills to recognize when he was needing one or the other.
Megan
Jul 14, 2012 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is fantastic for understanding the disorder if you're first being introduced to it and gives great ideas with how to handle children that suffer form this disorder (although realize it's not a disease and thus cannot be cured) If you work w/ sensory problematic children OR have them on your own-please read! You won't regret it.
Isabelle
Jan 12, 2010 Isabelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book has such great hands on practical suggestions that you can apply immediately. Even if your children don't have sensory issues, this book can still have some really helpful activity suggestions for parents who have "active" kids. I only wished I had had a copy of this book 3 years ago!
Stacey
Feb 28, 2008 Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great help in understanding sensory integration dysfunction. It provides a different perspective and some different information than Sensational Kids. I especially liked the sections on how sensory problems can cause delays in other areas, such as speech. I also liked the resources provided (activities and toys to address each type of sensory issue).
Emily
Sep 06, 2007 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of young children coping with SPD, ADD, and other learning disabilities
I really liked this book for it's perspective and it's suggestions. Anyone with a child with SPD or any parent for that matter can learn how to best help their child when difficult sensory experiences arise. There is an answer out there and there is help.
Tenessa
Jul 02, 2010 Tenessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has helped me tremendously. It has helped me to better understand, prepare, and help my son with the sensory issues that he struggles with daily. Outside of his OT, it has been the single greatest resource for answers and solutions.
Jen
Feb 21, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, non-fiction
This book is helpful, well-written, has a nice tone, and a great introduction to sensory integration issues. Having said that, I hated reading this book. I don't enjoy reading books in the "what is wrong with my child" genre, particularly when they are telling. alas.
Ami
Feb 05, 2008 Ami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome book to up understand the new disease children are facing, Sensory Processing Disorder. It goes into great detail on how to handle, work with them and most importantly love them.
Ki Goff
Apr 03, 2010 Ki Goff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While some of the advice could be clearer, I have to say this is a far more readable book on sensory integration. I would recommend it to everyone.
Aug 12, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although much of the book wasn't applicable, I still found it to be interesting and filled with great ideas.
Susanna
Apr 06, 2016 Susanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is a fantastic resource!!!
Patty
Aug 19, 2008 Patty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having a child with Sensory Processing Disorder, I found this book to be an invaluable resource. This book is very insightful and informative.
Donna
Mar 31, 2013 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I feel much more in control and calm after reading this book. I feel more confident that if my son does have sensory issues (as his school has suggested) that in the long run, he'll be okay.
Camille
Feb 27, 2012 Camille rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spd
Excellent! The most helpful, practical book I have read about sensory processing.
Mary
Oct 23, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful and informative.
Julia
Apr 13, 2014 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent! Real help and ideas!
Liesl
Apr 16, 2011 Liesl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book better than The out of Sync Child because it's easier to understand and gives more ideas and activities for parents to work with their kids.
Kasee
Jan 19, 2008 Kasee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Book...lots of great info
  • Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to Do If You Are Sensory Defensive in an Overstimulating World
  • Engaging Autism: Helping Children Relate, Communicate and Think with the DIR Floortime Approach (A Merloyd Lawrence Book)
  • The Sensory-Sensitive Child: Practical Solutions for Out-of-Bounds Behavior
  • Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders
  • Sensory Integration and the Child
  • 1001 Great Ideas for Teaching and Raising Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Lifesaver for Parents and Professionals Who Interact Children with Autism and Asperger's Syndrome
  • Positive Discipline for Preschoolers: For Their Early Years - Raising Children Who Are Responsible, Respectful, and Resourceful
  • Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Complete Guide to Understanding Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, and Other ASDs
  • The Elephant in the Playroom: Ordinary Parents Write Intimately and Honestly About the Extraordinary Highs and Heartbreaking Lows of Raising Kids with Special Needs
  • Raising Your Spirited Child: A Guide for Parents Whose Child is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, and Energetic
  • I Love You Rituals
  • Disconnected Kids: The Groundbreaking Brain Balance Program for Children with Autism, ADHD, Dyslexia, and Other Neurological Disorders
  • Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students: Helping Kids Cope with Explosive Feelings
  • The Sensory Child Gets Organized: Proven Systems for Rigid, Anxious, or Distracted Kids
  • The Unwritten Rules of Friendship: Simple Strategies to Help Your Child Make Friends
  • Overcoming Autism: Finding the Answers, Strategies, and Hope That Can Transform a Child's Life

“When working with your teenager to address his sensory issues, make it a partnership.” 0 likes
“The truth is, it’s impossible for any parent to know what his or her child will be like as an adult. But we can tell you that the sensory smart child of sensory smart parents is a person who is empowered to take responsibility for himself, for his body, and for his behavior. That’s an outstanding quality any parent would be proud to see in a child.” 0 likes