Start by marking “Goodnight, John Boy: A Celebration of an American Family and the Values That Have Sustained Us Through Good Times and Bad” as Want to Read:

For eight wonderful years "The Waltons," the story of a family living in the foothills of Virginia@s Blue Ridge Mountains during the Depression, entertained America and the world. Yet this television show was more than entertaining. Each episode combined wonderful stories and "teachable moments" in which adults and children alike learned the importance of honesty, hard wor ...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Cumberland House

To ask other readers questions about Goodnight, John Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodnight, John Boy

Kermit
Jul 17, 2016 Kermit rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction

I'm not ashamed to admit that I watch the Waltons almost every day. Grandma and Grandpa and John Boy just warm my heart.

This book is about the life of Earl Hamner, the creator of the Waltons. The Walton family is based on his own parents, grandparents, and siblings. It also describes how the TV show came to be.

I loved it.
Autumn
Nov 07, 2016 Autumn rated it it was ok
I have been a fan of the show since it originally aired. This book was sadly lacking in detail. I did not learn much from it.
Margi
Feb 17, 2017 Margi rated it liked it
As a long time fan of the Walton's, I found this book a must read. Starts with the history of the real family the show was based on and then gives a episode snapshot of each show. It was interesting that many thought the show would never make it. In the disappointing reality tv era we are in now, it is refreshing to watch a show that not only tells a story, but teaches a lesson as well. Reading about the actors bringing to life these stories was quite interesting. If you love the Walton's, read ...more
Lorraine
Feb 16, 2017 Lorraine rated it really liked it
For fans of The Waltons, this is a must-read. It was the story of Earl Hamner's real family, a little blurb about each actor, synpses of each episode and a description of The Walton's museum in Virginia. It's a reference book to keep handy while watching the show.
Jamie
Jan 07, 2015 Jamie rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
Nice companion book for the series if you are a fan. However, it left me wanting more..in a bad way. The tidbits during the episode guide section, most didn't make sense where they were placed. A lot of them were just summaries of what I had just read in the episode description. I am 95% one of the episode descriptions was wrong (will confirm when that episode reruns). There is ZERO mention of the second actor who played John-Boy. The only place you see his name is in the cast list at the back o ...more
John Kennedy
Dec 05, 2016 John Kennedy rated it liked it
Some interesting insights, but there should have been more.
Sandra
Jan 02, 2011 Sandra rated it it was amazing
I loved it! The first half was interesting to me, as a writer; and the second half enabled me to relive the TV series. When a particular episode sparked my interest, all I had to do was go to youtube and watch it again. How fortunate we are to have such resources!
Sandi Miller
Jan 07, 2016 Sandi Miller rated it really liked it
An interesting book for any fan of the quality TV show, "The Waltons." In addition to photos and background on the series, there are comments on individual episodes by the show's actors, writers and directors.
Christine Sinclair
Oct 28, 2013 Christine Sinclair rated it really liked it
If you loved The Waltons, you'll love this book. Lots of background info from creator Earl Hamner Jr. and reminiscences from the cast, directors, writers and many fans. (A couple of glaring typos too, but what can I say, I'm a proofreader!) Very heartwarming, just like the show.
Rose
Nov 16, 2011 Rose rated it liked it
I'm a love the Waltons. I have the complete series so when I saw this book I had to have it. It gave a lot of behind the scene stories. It was nice to learn where the stories came from. If you like the Waltons it would be a nice book for your collections.
V.A. Herring-Trice
Jan 14, 2016 V.A. Herring-Trice rated it it was amazing
Loved this little soft cover book. As a fan of the Walton television series, I wanted to see what Hamner said first hand. Loved the pictures and the commentary. Would recommend for anyone interested in southern living during depression era and the Walton TV series.
Julie
Jul 17, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
Excellent. If you are a fan of the show you will love it! It has a lot of interesting articles in it about the episodes and cast.
Jake
Jun 12, 2011 Jake rated it liked it
Charming, if somewhat brief, retrospective of "The Waltons" TV series, co-written by its creator, Earl Hamner Jr.
SouthWestZippy
This is a book written by the creator of The Waltons. The first few chapters is his back- story and the rest of the book is brief
wanda boyles
wanda boyles rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2008
Izzy
Izzy rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2014
Margaret
Nov 12, 2008 Margaret rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I loved this show and this book made me remember just exactly why hmmmmm.
Gaynor
Gaynor rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Mary Hoppe
Mary Hoppe rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2017
Patty S.
Patty S. rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2013
Brenda
Brenda rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2013
David Besly
David Besly rated it liked it
May 19, 2014
Jill Mcpartland
Jill Mcpartland rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2017
Cheryl Cameron
Cheryl Cameron rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Robert Schneider
Robert Schneider rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Hannah Eyler
Hannah Eyler rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2012
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
Carrie Gruman
Carrie Gruman rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Sopranos and Philosophy: I Kill Therefore I Am (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
  • Amy's Answering Machine: Messages from Mom
  • Where the Pavement Ends: One Woman's Bicycle Trip Through Mongolia, China, & Vietnam
  • The Philosophy of the X-Files
  • The Avengers and Philosophy: Earth's Mightiest Thinkers
  • Eight Feet in the Andes
  • Round Ireland in Low Gear
  • Lost and Philosophy: The Island Has Its Reasons
  • The Mouse that Roared: Disney and the End of Innocence (Culture & Education) (Culture & Education Series)
  • A Smile as Big as the Moon: A Special Education Teacher, His Class, and Their Inspiring Journey Through U.S. Space Camp
  • Mad Men and Philosophy: Nothing is as it Seems
  • J.M. Barrie and the Lost Boys: The real story behind Peter Pan
  • Lessons From the Mountain
  • The Gospel According to the Simpsons
  • Superheroes and Philosophy: Truth, Justice, and the Socratic Way
  • Everybody Hurts: An Essential Guide to Emo Culture
  • Hidden Child Of The Holocaust: A True Story
  • Gotta Go! Gotta Go!
Earl Henry Hamner Jr. (born July 10, 1923 in Schuyler, Virginia), was an American television writer and producer (sometimes credited as Earl Hamner), best known for his work in the 1970s and 1980s on the long-running CBS series The Waltons and Falcon Crest. As a novelist, he was best known for Spencer’s Mountain, which was inspired by his own childhood and formed the basis for both the film of the ...more
More about Earl Hamner Jr....