Space: Japanese Design Solutions for Compact Living

Space: Japanese Design Solutions for Compact Living

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Space is a photographic exploration of Japanese architecture and design in size-constricted areas, exploring imaginative, ingenious, and revolutionary solutions to space-compromised living. Masters in the art of managing small spaces, the Japanese in their design have given rise to a particular style of ingenuity.

In their work, Japanese interior designers and architects co...more
Published August 7th 2004 by Universe

shallowwater
Jul 08, 2007 shallowwater rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like little houses
This is a very satisfyingly visual look at the design on teeny Japanese dwellings. It makes me yearn for a little house of my own, with delightful nooks for stashing treasures.

I didn't read many of the words, because that's how I roll, but I did catch something interesting about storage, and the differences between Japanese culture and Western/American culture.

"The accumulation of possessions is an international constant and brings with it the issue of where to keep them. This is all the more u...more
Chris
Random pick from my SF library branch's new books rack, which is how I end with the smattering of architectural photography books I read, or browse for pictures anyway.

Like most architecture books, this seems to be full of people who live inside of modernist museums outfitted with a minimum of furniture, decorated with a small number of natural-surface items (reed and bamboo screens, cloth-covered tatamis, rustic ceramics) that provide a pleasant contrast to the strong geometric lines and solid-...more
Cyril
Inspirational, and mentally stimulating when trying to figure out the architectural challenges and their solutions.
Ahmad Mahayri
Nice ideas, some are not practical and some are suitable for the small Japanese bodies. Overall, the designs are inspiring and there are so many lessons to be learnt. Enjoyable piece of read.
Mélissa Meilhac
Mélissa Meilhac marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Crugee
Crugee added it
Jun 16, 2014
James
James added it
Apr 13, 2014
Sietse Van doorslaer
Sietse Van doorslaer marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Ashenafi
Ashenafi marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Brian
Brian added it
Mar 02, 2014
Michael Arens
Michael Arens marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Carol
Carol added it
Nov 19, 2013
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Oliver Baptiste
Oliver Baptiste marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2013
Christoph Hellmuth
Christoph Hellmuth marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
McKenna
McKenna marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Librarian note: There is more than one author with this name in the Goodreads database.

Michael Freeman is a professional photographer and author. He wrote more than 100 book titles. He was born in England in 1945, took a Masters in geography at Brasenose College, Oxford University, and then worked in advertising in London for six years. He made the break from there in 1971 to travel up the Amazon...more
More about Michael Freeman...
The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos The Photographer's Mind: Creative Thinking for Better Digital Photos ESPN: The Uncensored History Michael Freeman's Perfect Exposure: The Professional's Guide to Capturing Perfect Digital Photographs Ancient Angkor