Start by marking “Drawing on the Artist Within” as Want to Read:
Drawing on the Artist Within

Drawing on the Artist Within

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  4,446 ratings  ·  17 reviews
AH-HA! I SEE IT NOW!
Everyone has experienced that joyful moment when the light flashes on -- the Ah-Ha! of creativity.
Creativity. It is the force that drives problem-solving, informs effective decision-making and opens new frontiers for ambition and intelligence. Those who succeed have learned to harness their creative power by keeping that light bulb turned on.
Now,
Published October 9th 2008 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Drawing on the Artist Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drawing on the Artist Within

Sarah Yang
This book is really helping me to practically implement creativity into everyday life and problem solving. I highly recommend this book along with The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron if you want to develop your creative abilities and the right side of your brain.
Becky
If you have ever said or thought, "I can't draw for shit," or envied someone with that "natural artistic ability," READ THIS BOOK. Edwards breaks down the mythical assumption that creativity and artistic talent are gifts one must be born with. Her hands-on, psychological approach confronts, interestingly, the left/right split as the crux of the problem for those of us who buy into the cultural delusion that drawing, unlike math, science, reading, and writing, cannot be taught. The exercises and ...more
Camille
This book and "Drawing On the Right Side Of the Brain" are highly recommended because of the benefits you'll get from the exercises. Every so called non-artist who is interested in doing art should get these books immediately.
Yoby
Don't like this one as much as her other book , but is still pretty good. Out of the technical aspects of drawing and into more of the experimental aspects of art.
Debby Stewart
Excellent book that I read in part and then completed my first portrait sketches. They turned out beautifully as others have told me.
Hud-c
Dec 16, 2012 Hud-c marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I hope the library has a copy or the bookstore even.

I always wanted to tap that INNER TALENT (AHEM!!!) (as if!)

Kidding aside, I can draw but the creativity level hasn't been really develop or pursue when I was in my teens. Curse puberty when the boy next door or two seats away from you has been mostly the apple of a girl's eyes! (I wonder why he didn't give me any inspiration to sketch him.) 0_o

Now I know what to ask for Christmas. :D
Ashok Banker
Perhaps the best book on drawing for non-artists. It empowers you to draw regardless of talent, experience or lack of both. I'm not an artist and don't aspire to become one but as a creative person, I wanted to try my hand at art. This book was recommended by an American friend and it was amazing. Like a self-help course in art. I haven't seen the new edition but I'm told it's even better. Highly recommended.
Jason
Pretty sure there's nothing I liked here that isn't in "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain." Some really unpleasant, unprovable ideas posited here. I abandoned a bit over halfway through.
Brian
Not as good as her first book, but OK.
Mike Porter
After doing art lessons for the past 8 years, I've been rereading this book and have acquired some new insights on learning to draw and paint. I appreciate this book even more!
Hisham Alamoudi
It will simply make you beleive you can draw as good as you can read and write. The wisdom behind it is to beleive in yourself and disbeleive in Myth created by people.
Betty
Not as good as "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain". She goes into a little more depth, but sometimes I think she loses it.
Apryl Anderson
Great exercises to help me understand what's going on inside.
Sonja Feldt
Fin indlæring i tegnekunsten - det gode gamle håndværk
Bridget
May 18, 2008 Bridget marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hobbies-drawing
Have this book
Narnor Art
Narnor Art marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Peso Perry
Peso Perry marked it as to-read
Heena
Heena marked it as to-read
NAMER
NAMER marked it as to-read
Austin
Austin marked it as to-read
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
  • Keys to Drawing with Imagination: Strategies and Exercises for Gaining Confidence and Enhancing Creativity
  • How to Draw What You See
  • Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters: 100 Great Drawings Analyzed, Figure Drawing Fundamentals Defined
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing: A Contemporary Master Reveals the Secrets of Drawing the Human Form
  • Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil
  • Drawing From Life: The Journal as Art
  • The Human Figure in Motion
  • Drawing the Head and Hands
  • Color Choices: Making Color Sense Out of Color Theory
  • Classical Drawing Atelier: A Contemporary Guide to Traditional Studio Practice
  • Zen of Seeing: Seeing/Drawing as Meditation
The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain Color: A Course in Mastering the Art of Mixing Colors Winner's Circle: If I Had A Piece Of String (Six Pack) Schlüsselwerke Der Geschlechterforschung Dessiner grâce au cerveau droit (PSYCHO SC HUMAI)

“Писатель Джулиан Дюгид описывает процедуру, предложенную ему человеком, с которым он познакомился на борту корабля: «— Вы хотите писать рассказы? — спросил он. — Нет ничего легче. Ваш инстинктивный разум помнит каждое событие, когда-либо происходившее с вами... Он сам создаст из ваших переживаний сюжет. Вам нужно лишь потереть лампу.
— А техника этого? — спросил я.
— Наш инстинктивный разум никогда не спит. Это только высшие уровни мозга отключаются, когда мы ложимся спать. Вы достаточно легко можете проверить это на себе.
— Звучит интересно. Что я должен сделать?
— Это действительно интересно. Перед тем как отключиться, просто сообщите своему подсознанию, чего вы хотите. Наутро рассказ будет готов... Кстати, — сказал он чуть погодя, — здесь нечего бояться... Раб лампы — ваш слуга... И было бы неплохо звать его по имени.
Я решил, что буду звать этого незнакомца, таящегося внутри меня, Помощником».
Дюгид
«Меня убедили», 1941”
0 likes
“Я думаю, что это возвышенное чувство наблюдения за Природой — одна из главных радостей, которую доставляют мне мои попытки живописи... Весь мир открывается со всеми его сокровищами. Простейшие объекты обладают своей красотой... Это не может наскучить... Боже милосердный! Как много того, чем можно восхищаться, и как мало времени нам дано на это!

Уинстон Черчилль "Живопись как времяпрепровождение", 1950”
0 likes