Start by marking “Showcase Presents: Superman Family, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Showcase Presents: Superman Family, Vol. 1

Showcase Presents: Superman Family, Vol. 1 (Showcase Presents: Superman Family #1)

The value-priced format of black-and-white collections continues with this volume spotlighting Superman’s girlfriend Lois Lane and his pal Jimmy Olsen. Learn more about these two dynamic personalities in their solo stories as each braves danger for the latest scoop. These stories also introduce long-standing elements such as the Daily Planet’s Flying Newsroom and Jimmy’s ...more
Published March 15th 2006 by DC Comics (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Showcase Presents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Showcase Presents

Stephen
Nov 07, 2013 Stephen rated it really liked it
More entertaining than any movie you could take your kid to see, and a more cost effective use of your entertainment dollar.
Kayt
Aug 08, 2013 Kayt rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A List of Things X-Ray Vision Can Apparently Do
*Determine there is poison in soda
*Melt the metal lock of a helmet to fuse it shut, without affecting anything (or anyone) else
*Set something specific on fire in the next room over, without burning the walls
*Melt and vaporize lead bullets mid-air
*Turn carbon steel into a rare crystalline form (i.e., fake diamonds) for a short period of time
*Crack mirrors
*Fuse several pounds' worth of individual diamonds into one large, pristine jewel
*See through var
B
Jan 26, 2014 B rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, westend
There is a consistent logic here in the "Superman Family" universe. Superman is a combination of Ruben Bolling's Godman and a Fletcher Hanks hero and a square. In almost every episode either Jimmy Olsen gains superpowers or is tricked by Superman into believing he had superpowers. In many episodes one of them thinks "Why isn't the other being my pal? "

Their "pal"ship is awfully close and a little strange. It has kind of a master-servant thing. It has some quasi-romantic overtones.

One thing cons
Trebro
Nov 30, 2007 Trebro rated it really liked it
DC has entered the low-cost reprinting biz with Showcase editions, allowing fanboys and fangirls everywhere to read old comics at the affordable price of, well, free in my case because I get them from the library.

This time out we have the Superman Family, collecting Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen issues 1-22, plus Showcase 9, and a Lois Lane solo story from the 40s.

I have to admit, the 1950s Superman stories do not, as a whole, hold up all that well. It's so hard to keep Supes down in these since h
John Yingling
Aug 21, 2013 John Yingling rated it it was amazing
If I could give this book more than 5 stars, I would. For my money, these comic stories from the 1950s, and others from the early to mid-1960s are just superb and unequaled in the comic book world. What an excellent combination of story and art. There's no better way for me to finish my day than to read one (or more) of these stories. And, as strange as it may sound, I can relate to the characters! I'm willing to suspend belief and feel that there really could be a "super" man, or another hero ...more
Steven Wilson
Apr 19, 2013 Steven Wilson rated it really liked it
Enjoyed it thoroughly. Jimmy's exclamations of "Super-Duper" do trail off later, thankfully. But I have to say, even given that there are only four Lois Lane stories against Jimmy's 66, I think I enjoy Lois's stories more. At least, I think so for the silver age Lois and Jimmy. Lois MEANS to get into trouble, where as Jimmy usually just stumbles over it. These stories are all 1950s vintage (with the exception of the first Lois solo story from the 1940s) and so are lacking a lot of the more ...more
Christopher Dodd
Jan 22, 2011 Christopher Dodd rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This is quintessential Silver Age zaniness.

Every story has Jimmy Olsen turning into a monster or becoming invisible or getting tricked by his "pal" Superman for a convoluted reason.

Although the stories are all rather short, they are so stupid I found it hard to read more than one at a time.

I got this comic to share and read with my daughter but it seemed the second she touched it, the binding separated from the pages. Later the bindingless book split down the middle. Fracking cheap ass book. Now
Dominick
This is mostly stories from the first twenty-odd (in more than one sense) issues of the Jimmy Olsen comic book, mostly written by Otto Binder and drawn by Curt Swan. Many are quite silly, and they are ruthlessly formulaic (it's hard to believe this is the same guy who wrote the classic Captain Marvel comics), but they are occasionally amusing, in a sort of hybrid absurd/surreal way. And Swan's art is always nice to look at.
Tone
Oct 31, 2009 Tone rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, superhero
Unless you have a special interest in Jimmy Olsen's early days I can't recommend this. It's a lot of Jimmy does something to get in trouble -> Superman pulls him out of it. Or the other way around.
David
David rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2012
Robert Kinosian
Robert Kinosian rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2011
Steve Bergstrom
Steve Bergstrom rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Kimmo
Kimmo rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2011
Ryan.martin
Ryan.martin rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2007
Katrina
Katrina rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2012
Greg Hatcher
Greg Hatcher rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2009
Trevor
Trevor rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2008
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2012
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2012
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2012
Audrey Hacker
Audrey Hacker rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2016
Wt
Wt rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Ronald
Ronald rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2012
Carter
Carter rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Robert Stubbs
Robert Stubbs rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2011
Siddhant Nath
Siddhant Nath rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2016
Philip
Philip rated it liked it
May 27, 2007
Ismael
Ismael rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2015
James Schneider
James Schneider rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2009
Jim Stephenson
Jim Stephenson rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Oscar Otto Binder. Used these alternate names: Eando Binder (together with his brother Earl Binder -E and O Binder-), John Coleridge, Gordon A. Giles, Will Garth, Ian Francis Turek, Ione Frances Turek and Otto O. Binder.
More about Otto Binder...

Showcase Presents: Superman Family (3 books)
  • Showcase Presents: Superman Family, Vol. 2