Start by marking “Heksen & demonen (The Hollows, #1)” as Want to Read:
Heksen & demonen (The Hollows, #1)

Heksen & demonen (The Hollows #1)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  84,075 ratings  ·  3,594 reviews
Hoofdpersoon in de barokke fantasy-romans van Kim Harrison is de heks Rachel Morgan. Zij leeft in een wereld waarin een onbekend virus heeft geleid tot de Ommekeer, de grote verandering die de mensheid heeft verdeeld in gewone mensen en de Anderen, uiterlijk evengoed mensen, maar onder speciale omstandigheden gemakkelijk muterend tot weerwolven, ondoden en demonen en (daar ...more
Published May 7th 2007 by Luitingh (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Heksen & demonen, please sign up.

Allegra I haven't read all of the books yet, but I would assume so. It makes me wonder if they are missing some of the space race related technology that we…moreI haven't read all of the books yet, but I would assume so. It makes me wonder if they are missing some of the space race related technology that we have, like velcro.(less)
Allegra There's a lot of action in this book, but not much romance. I found it to be pretty consistent in pace and style, so if you are hoping for it to turn…moreThere's a lot of action in this book, but not much romance. I found it to be pretty consistent in pace and style, so if you are hoping for it to turn into a different sort of book halfway through I wouldn't bother.(less)

Kat Kennedy
Lola
*3.5 shadowed stars*

My head tells me 3 stars, but my heart says 4. Which makes an average of 3.5 (but you knew that already.)

WOW.

Yes, that is the reaction I had after starting Dead Witch Walking (great title by the way.) I was so surprised while discovering every ‘creature’ this book contains. There are witches, vampires, trolls (apparently,) fairies, PIXIES... PIXIES guys. There are PIXIES. Plus, one of them is an important character of the story! I’m talking about this one:

description
(On the left, we hav
Jessica ❁ Elsecaller ❁ at Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

The Hollows is another one of the first Urban Fantasy series I ever read. The bug had gottenme, but I was still new enough to not really know what was available. I think I was just pursuing every lead Amazon gave me, and that was back in the 3-for-4 paperbacks days, so I was in the habit of ordering the first four books in any newly discovered series.

Which was a good plan, b/c by the time I finished Dead Witch Walking, I was well and truly hooked, and if I had days to wai
Meagan
Don't let the cover, description, cover reviews, or hell, even the title throw you off on this one. It looks like a cheesy paperback. Possibly even a twisted romance novel, but believe me it's not.

It takes place in a world where instead of going to the moon, money went into bioengineering. Of course something went wrong a virus got out, in tomatoes. Like a plague it started wiping out humans, Inlanders however (people and beings with mystical abilities, witches, weres, pixies etc.) were immune.
Amy
Hated, hated, hated this book. Rachel Morgan got on my last nerve, and by the end, I was ready for her to get killed. However, her partners Jinx and Ivy were loads of fun.
Tatiana
Sep 10, 2010 Tatiana rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: some UF fans
In spite of the moderately engaging beginning, Dead Witch Walking finally lost me by about page 100. Unfortunately, no more Rachel Morgan for me.

On the bright side, there is a potential in this series. I recently abandoned a couple of UF series because of the barenness of their worlds. In this book the mythology behind the story is rich. You never feel like the characters walk and interact in vacuum (that's how I felt reading Some Girls Bite and Halfway to the Grave). Whatever is written about t
Exina
"Everything was going too well.
Something had to be wrong."

Dead Witch Walking is the first installment of The Hollows series by Kim Harrison.
It is an excellent opening book of the series: it is intriguing, with action, mystery, and humor in an appropriate balance.

The main character, Rachel Morgan, a witch, works as a runner at “Inderland Security”, but now quits her job to start her own business partnering with a vampire and a pixy.
The story is about her struggle as she tries to get rid of
Mike (the Paladin)
First to you who like this, I'm sorry. We can't all like the same books.

I picked this up because it was recommended on the "What to read while you're waiting for the next Dresden book" thread. So:

First I'm not a romance fan to begin with and I can pretty much say that I dislike every PNR (paranormal romance) I've ever "accidentally" picked up. Now, I can hear some of you saying, but this isn't PNR. At least the recommendation I went with said it wasn't. But if it's not, it's close enough for me.
FlibBityFLooB
4.5/5 stars. *singing* Attttaccccccckkkk of the killer tomatoes! How can I resist starting this review without that lovely song? I can’t say I’ve ever read a book with so much tomato-hate. Genetically mutated tomatoes have caused much havoc to the human world in the Rachel Morgan universe, and that sets up an interesting world where humans live with pixies, witches, vampires, and other creatures of the night.

After I finished the book, I read a lot of reviews on amazon where people strongly disl
Kati
David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party"
"Book, you have the right to a speedy trial" review

THE DEFENSE
- Lead heroine is funny and engaging, yet also flawed enough to feel real - I felt I could relate whenever Rachel Morgan did something stupid...plus when book characters screw up, it makes me feel not as bad for doing at least 800,000 stupid things a day!

- I also loved the supporting cast - Ivy the vampire is moody yet oh-so-adorable, Keasley never loses his cool, and Jenks the pixie may be the greatest scene-stealer since Winona
Laz
Jul 25, 2015 Laz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy lovers
Imagine a world where every kind of supernatural creature was walking out in the streets without a care in the world about being seen by a human.

Well, after a disease (enhanced by biodrugs because of course us, humans, are pretty stupid at the end of the day, okay) wiped out most humans and the supernatural was forced to come to light since they were immune to it, the world is mostly run by the supernatural considering how they've come to outnumber us. And overpower us. There's definitely that,
Lady Jaye
Er...ok. So this is not going to be a complimentary review, as you've probably already guessed by the rating.

I am a character-driven reader. I don't necessarily have to love a character to bits, but if I can get behind him/her, then I will come along for the ride, and be willing to overlook a lot of things, like faulty plotting. If I don't like the character, well, then I enjoy the book less, and become somewhat cranky. I notice choppy plotting/not-very-good writing.

I am not a plot-driven rea
valee
What can I say that hasn't been said?

The action was good, not great, but good. At the end it got way better, but still not as good as some books I gave 4 stars in UF. Some parts were really slow, specially at the beginning. And the fact that it has no romance at all was something that bothered me. It's not only that it has no romance, she doesn't even get interested in someone.
I was expecting much more form this book as everybody was talking about this series, I mean it was a good read, and read
Felicia
I liked this series a lot but around book 4 it petered off for me. I need to get back on the horse.
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.5 Solid Series Start Stars

Whenever I’m starting a new series that is more than 3 books long I don’t expect a lot from the first book. I only expect it to give me a taste of the world and the main characters. As I dip my toe into the Hallows pool to get a feel for the series I’m hopeful. The characters are intriguing and show promise, there are plenty of hints of things to come without really giving anything major away and the world was interesting enough that I might want to visit it multiple
Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie
On a scale of 1 to done I'm:

Me trying to get a grasp on this book:

Me every time Rachel opened her mouth:

. . . so yeah, I could go on but I think you get the point. There was so much potential it hurt . But by the end I was doing some heavy skimming and only went on because I was close to finishing anyways. I just really couldn't get into this one :(

This book just wasn't for me, sadly.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
This is the second time I read this book. The first time I did, it left me absolutely unimpressed. Worse, it pretty much bore me to death and I thought it was only worth a two-star rating. So how did I go from giving this book two stars a year ago to giving it four stars today (more like a 3.5 actually)? The audio version!!

Marguerite Gavin is a fantastic narrator and she makes all the difference here. Where the book was boring, she makes it exciting and lively. It did take me some time to get us
Lisa Kay
genetically modified tomatoes

(This is a review of the audiobook.) I truly enjoyed Marguerite Gavin’s narration of this first in The Hollows series, giving the first-person narrative for witch Rachel Morgan - who is a bounty hunter come private detective - great inflection, tone, and pacing. Nice differentiation of other voices, too. I’m looking forward to listening to more of her readings as I continue the series. And I’m definitely continuing the series!

I just loved this book! I thought KH’s a
Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess
Reviewed for Wickedly Bookish

I actually liked this a lot more than I was expecting.

Dead Witch Walking starts out slow, and I mean very slow. It takes about the first 100 pages for the plot to begin in earnest and another 50 for the action to start. Once the action gains some momentum, it doesn't stop until the end of the book.

There are many negative reviews for this book here on Goodreads, and I have to agree with most of them that it suffers from the "first
Kimberley doruyter
kinda a combo of the sookie stackhouse series and the anita blake series.
just hope i doesn't suffer the same fate.

i re-read the book now and still like it, it's a really good start to a series.
and i've read others in the series and the books stay good.
John Carter McKnight
I loved this book, and was moved to write by the string of two-star reviews. I was grabbed from the beginning by the fast pace and seamless world-building. I found it well-crafted, with a thumping fast adventure pace, well-placed mysteries, mis-directions and clues, and rare resorts to info-dumping to make the world come alive.

The heroine is credible, far from omni-competent or a Mary Sue, as befits a young woman just striking out on her own professionally. She makes mistakes, learns from them,
Jaime
Finally finished. Took me about a year. Loved the writing, but unfortunately didn't like the story. Probably won't continue with this series. Just wasn't for me.
Celine
Nov 13, 2014 Celine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban-fantasy lovers
Reread this for a challenge. This is the book that got me into urban fantasy. Before that, I had only read epic fantasy, and I had no clue there were so much more kinds of fantasy there, just waiting for me to discover them.

Rachel is an IS (Inderland Security) runner, but lately things aren't really working out for her. She hasn't had a good run in weeks. So, at again a horrible tag she decides to quit. But she takes the best runner the IS has, Ivy Tamwood, a living vamp, with her. The IS, not s
Michele Lee
I was given this book as a gift.

The Hollows book #1

First, the back blurb:
“All the creatures of the night gather in 'the Hollows' of Cincinnati, to hide, to prowl, to party...and to feed.

Vampires rule the darkness in a predator-eat-predator world rife with dangers beyond imagining—and it's Rachel Morgan's job to keep that world civilized.

A bounty hunter and witch with serious sex appeal and an attitude, she'll bring 'em back alive, dead...or undead.”

It's been a while since I've read a back
Carly
Book Reaction (not a full review)

I've been meaning to read Dead Witch Walking for a while, and when I found it on audio at my library, I snatched the opportunity. I'm glad I did. Harrison has an addictively readable style, and her worldbuilding felt both fun and original. Long story short: after a genetic mutation carried in a tomato managed to exterminate half the world's human population, the supernaturals decided to step out of the closet. Forty years later, the humans tend to avoid the para
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
Slow starter

This is the first book in The Hollows series. I had been pre-warned by several different people that it was a slow-starter, but that the series gets better and better. Well, they weren't kidding! If it wasn't for my faith that it would, in fact, get better, I may not have got through the first 100 pages. It was such a slow start. The writing style doesn't flow, I kept stumbling back and forth and having to re-read bits. There is an inordinate amount of info-dumps—Harrison clearly h
Sheralyn
My very first thought as I started reading: Kim Harrison can write! And being so out of my usual genre made me appreciate more how she drew me into hers using all the tools I usually find a turn off. Only she did them right!

I don't know of any of my friends on this site who would want to read a book like this, but I read her first 3 books in 3 days, missing out on precious sleep and a good concert so I could finish and still get in my usual work hours. I'm forcing myself to take a break now beca
Nichole (Dirrty H)
Well, 3.5 stars.

I expected/hoped to like this book more than I did. But it's worth reading if you're into the urban fantasy genre. It's action packed, almost to the point that I was like, "Enough! Take a breath and give me some character development!"

But it was full of action, and entertaining enough although it was a little predictable. The characters were likeable but underdeveloped, and the mythology was interesting. I'm hoping that we get more insight into these things as the series progres
Ian
Rachel is something like a bounty hunter. She captures magical beings that are breaking the law. But the powers that be have been sabotaging her career at every turn so when a leprechaun she captured offers her three wishes in exchange for her freedom, she willingly accepts.
She leaves the IPS (or whatever they're called) and strikes out on her own. The IPS (or whatever they're called) are happy to see the back of her but when she takes Ivy a vampire, and Jenks, a Pixie with her they're not so r
  • Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4)
  • Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2)
  • Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5)
  • Rosemary and Rue (October Daye #1)
  • Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville #1)
  • Magic in the Blood (Allie Beckstrom, #2)
  • Dayhunter (Dark Days, #2)
  • The Scent of Shadows (Signs of the Zodiac, #1)
  • Ill Wind (Weather Warden, #1)
  • Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)
  • Changeling (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon, #2)
  • Industrial Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #4)
Kim Harrison, author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, was born in Detroit and lived most her her life within an easy drive. She's currently working on the Peri Reed Chronicles, and when not at her desk, is most likely to be found landscaping her new/old Victorian home, in the garden, or on the links.
Kim reaches out to her audience at Facebook https://www.facebook.com/KimHarris
More about Kim Harrison...

The Hollows (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
  • For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)
  • The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)
  • White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)
  • Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Ever After (The Hollows, #11)
Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3) The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2) For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5) The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6) A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)

“What are you?" I rasped.
It smiled. "Whatever scares you.”
228 likes
“Most of the upper management of I.S. were undead. I always thought it was because the job was easier if you didn't have a soul.” 151 likes