Start by marking “Midsummer Eve At Rookery End” as Want to Read:
Midsummer Eve At Rookery End

Midsummer Eve At Rookery End (Regency House Romance Series #1)

*new revised and updated Kindle edition for 2013*

A Regency short story collection of approximately 40,000 words.  Also included is a preview of The Cinderella Debutante.

Midsummer Eve is the traditional time for love divination, when gentlemen and ladies can hope to meet their true love. Lord and Lady Allingham hold a lavish ball every year at their country estate, Rookery
Kindle Edition, Second Edition, 108 pages
Published September 1st 2009 by E-scape Press Limited (first published April 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Midsummer Eve At Rookery End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midsummer Eve At Rookery End

Wendy Jones
Dec 21, 2016 Wendy Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a rule, I steer clear of short stories, but having liked the novels this author writes so much, I dared to try. What a delightful surprise. Satisfying and beautifully written mini novels.
Hilary
Mar 04, 2012 Hilary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful collection of short stories in a Regency setting, written with the author's trademark empathy and attention to period detail.
John Hennessy
Dec 15, 2013 John Hennessy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is the first book of Elizabeth Hanbury's that I've completed.

I would have completed it sooner, only I started reading one of her other works, 'A Midsummer Eve at Rookery End', at the same time (yay for team ADHD!) but I'm getting more focussed now, honestly.

If you like strong heroines, this is the book for you. Sophie Deveraux is no weakling and her skillful, playful handling of Theo is a real joy to read, and to visualise.

It's much like a road trip in the Regency period. I started thinking
Lexie
Oct 04, 2009 Lexie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this as part of a RWA prize pack from a recent contest on Anna DeStefano's blog and was a little puzzled at first. This is a slim volume, just at 95 or so pages long and from a publisher and author I had never heard of before. Still, regency short stories peak my interest always!

The stories are, to put it simply, magical. Arguably the easiest to believe is 'Siren's Daughter', since its about two once upon a time lovers and a big big misunderstanding, but I found I liked 'Blue Figured Silk'
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: September 1, 2009 (Available Now!)
Publisher: E-Scape Press
Imprint: N/A
Author’s Website: http://www.elizabethhanbury.com/
My Source for This Book: Gift from the publisher
Part of a Series: Interconnected stories rather than a series
Series Best Read In Order: Work well as standalones
Steam Level: Warm

(Reviews for individual stories are posted on the blog)

Overall, this was a delightful collection of co
Kristen
Didn't finish it.

Mild spoilers:

The prequel - which was an extremely short novella had the H/h falling in love in a matter of an hour. Ridiculous. More like lust at first sight, not to mention he was pretty much drunk and she was trying to steal from him.

The second novella, Siren's Daughter was a little better, at least the H/h knew each other. But there was some language, and she said she had to back away cuz she was giving him full view of her chest.

The third Blue Figured Silk - the main guy/
Trudy Brasure
Nov 04, 2011 Trudy Brasure rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These three short romance stories sweep you into the Regency world of dashing rakes, spurned lovers, and restrained propriety. With a dash of wit and descriptive charm, Hanbury has crafted romantic morsels reminiscent of the Regency romance luminary, Georgette Heyer.
I could have devoured all three stories in one sitting, but I was determined to savor them one at a time - on days when a little romantic escape was just the ticket I needed to put a smile on my face again. I feel content, knowing th
GraceWastheAnswer
Jun 14, 2010 GraceWastheAnswer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I hadn't been checking good reads, and didn't even realize I won until it showed up in the mail!

One Midsummer Eve at Rookery End, is a must read, for romantics, and those who love regency. I am enthralled by the days of yore, and Ms. Elizabeth Hanbury choice words, transport the reader back in time to the dance floor of a regent ballroom. The story gets better with each page, and each of the stories will stir the reader's emotion. They
Gunnar
Mar 09, 2012 Gunnar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, kindle-lendable
Three delightful short stories, with well-rounded characters, traditional Regency plotlines, and all taking place at the same Midsummer's Eve ball. These are the tight, logical sort of stories where you know the writer knew what she wanted to say prior to writing: there's no flailing around, no extraneous characters, and no writing herself into a corner then having the characters do something silly to get themselves out. The first story did require a bit of getting into on my part (not my normal ...more
Lisa
Sep 09, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ouab-2013
What a fun book. I would love to attend a ball at Rookery End. This book introduces you to Lord and Lady Allingham. Then we attend the ball, I like to think it is all the same ball (the author leaves it to us to decide) and witness four couples find love. It took me four cups of tea to finish this book and I enjoyed every minute. It was sad to have the evening end.

I received an advanced reader copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Chanpreet
Apr 13, 2012 Chanpreet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of short stories set during the Regency period in Great Britain. They're short and sweet with a number of premises such as reunited lovers, love at first sight, etc. The stories are very well written and a delight to read. This is my first exposure to Ms.Hanbury's work and I will definitely be looking into the other writing she has done.
Elizabeth
A sweet collection of Regency romance short stories. I enjoyed the read, but found them a trifle on the ridiculous side, even for the romance genre. People fall in love in ten minutes or less and stay in love for years and years, even when the person thinks the other dumped him/her without a word. But, still fun and enjoyable light reading.
Andrea Smith
This is a trilogy of Recency short stories that all take place at a Midsummer Eve ball. I liked the idea but I'm not a fan of love at first sight and prefer to see the romance grow naturally. That's hard to do in short stories. I probably liked the first one best except there was a slight sexual reference that was completely unneccesary and kind of ruined it for me.
D.S. Williams
Jan 27, 2014 D.S. Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a series of short and sweet stories, which captured my attention and were very enjoyable. Whilst the falling in love happened at lightning speed, the stories were fun. Highly recommended for lovers of regency romance.
Nell
Sep 20, 2010 Nell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyable collection of stories, would recomend to anyone who is looking for good regency shorts.
Michele Lacroix
This was a pleasant group of short stories placed around a community called Rookery End. Well worth the price of free
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2012
Jessie
Jessie rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2014
Meran
Meran rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2012
Steph
Steph rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2009
Susan Sales
Susan Sales rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2017
Julia Bremer
Julia Bremer rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2014
Melissa Bolin
Melissa Bolin rated it really liked it
May 06, 2013
Geraldine
Geraldine rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2012
Laura Thomas
Laura Thomas rated it liked it
May 25, 2014
Bonny
Bonny rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Megan Baltzly
Megan Baltzly rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2014
Felicia (felso)
Felicia (felso) rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Love by Secrets
  • One True Love
  • The Countess' Lucky Charm
  • A Waltz at Midnight
  • Scandal of Love (Scandals & Secrets, #1)
  • Heart's Desire
  • A Lascivious Lady (Wedded Women Quartet, #3)
  • Improper Relations (Improper, #1)
  • Time for a Duke
  • The Secret Christmas Ciphers
  • A Husband for Miss Trent
  • Miss Moseley the Matchmaker
  • Seducing the Knight (The Brotherhood of the Scottish Templars, #2)
  • Allegra's Song (The Drewe Sisters)
  • To Walk in the Sun
  • The Counterfeit Husband
  • Lady Iona's Rebellion
  • Return of the Rose
1924381
I write Regency/historical romance with swoonworthy heroes, sparkling heroines, and a dash of wit and humour.

I'm a member of the Romantic Novelists' Association and Historical Novel Society and write for people like me, who just need a little escape from the stresses of daily life.

“A Regency writer of real skill, depth, wit and charm” - Nicola Cornick.

My books:

Regency House Romance Series

Christma
More about Elizabeth Hanbury...

Regency House Romance Series (2 books)
  • Christmas at Rakehell Manor