Start by marking “A Weekend at Blenheim: A Novel” as Want to Read:
A Weekend at Blenheim: A Novel

A Weekend at Blenheim: A Novel

2.72 of 5 stars 2.72  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In this enthralling and atmospheric tale of murder, revenge, and redemption, a young American struggles to make sense of a world he does not understand, where the price of acceptance may be murder.

John Vanbrugh is an outsider in the England of 1905: A determined but unsuccessful American architect, he has moved to London to make a new life for himself and his wife, Margare
Published March 1st 2003 by Minotaur Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Weekend at Blenheim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Weekend at Blenheim

Maria Ella
Having this book bought at Php10 is AWESOME! I just can't believe I bought a goodread at a cheap price.

Just to share something: The setting of the story is 30-40 miles outside the Oxford University centre. I went to the University, yes, but not outside of it. And if you are a typical tourist that doesn't regularly see a majestic palace, this is the postcard view:

A Weekend at Blenheim is the first novel by JP Morrissey that touches an episode in the lives of the Churchills in their grandiose esta
Nancy
Frankly, I don't know how a book like this gets published. Despite an interesting setting (Blenheim Palace), some intriguing and historic figures (John Singer Sargeant and Winston Churchill), it was colorless.
I couldn't have been less impressed with the writing or the characters.
Gail
After about 50 pages I gave up on this very dull book.
Mia Tat
This book should have been better. I was very much looking forward to a fictionalized story featuring some of the Vanderbilts; and with an architect as the lead character, this should have been a slam dunk, at least for me. Unfortunately, it dragged in places, and I really didn't like any of the characters enough to want to stay engaged with them.

I finished it, because it is nigh on impossible for me to lay a book aside once I've started it, and I must say, the ending was fairly dramatic and en
Danielle
The fact that I read this as an ebook on my nook may excuse the formatting and editing issues I had with it. However, nothing can excuse the downright poor writing. I did not find myself at all sympathetic with the characters, and I found the narration rather boring for what could have been an interesting plot. Furthermore, loose ends were left untied at the end of the novel, making for an incomplete work. However, I did read it and finish it, which is saying something.
Candee Adams
Good but confusing and sketchy at the end.
Gena
I find the history of the Gilded Age, and the Vanderbilts in particular, to be so dramatic and fascinating that fictionalization isn't really necessary. This was a fun mystery, and the author's description of Blenheim elevated the house to main character status. But the true story of the Vanderbilt's daughter marrying an English duke to buy herself a title and save his ancestral home is much more entertaining.
Krista Mercer
An excellent mystery, with strong Gothic overtones, although Downton Abbey this is not. I enjoyed the portrayals of the Duke of Devonshire, the Duchess (Consuelo Vanderbilt), and Gladys Deacon (who eventually becomes the Duke's second wife), but found the ending slightly distasteful.
Chrissy
This was a fun murder mystery with a giant heap of history. I really enjoyed it. I would have given it 5 stars, but the editing was terrible. So many misspellings. Sometimes there was even a [ in place of an I. Get this author a better editor, and he could go far!
Susan
Was just ok..Very funny,and yet not really making a statement,,I dislike novels that wre all over the place,and as a reader,unless the book is written well I don't mind..This was iffy for me..But Fun...
Jason Horger
A book with a lot of promise, namely in the detail of the period and the development of most of the main characters, but I felt the plot (particularly the resolution) left a lot to be desired.
Julie
Long on atmosphere, but sadly also long on characters acting like incredibly stupid people, running around acting like no human ever acted.
Bev Hankins
Blurb on book called it "Enthralling." Enthralling is not a word I would use in the same sentence as the title of this book.
Mary Kathryn
Art, architecture, interesting characters, and a decently crafted mystery. An enjoyable plane read.
Linda
an engrossing mystery that keeps you guessing to the end. Having some famous characters is fun.
Sandy
Sandy added it
May 02, 2014
Gerald Welt
Gerald Welt marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Sigrun
Sigrun marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
Nancy Inman
Nancy Inman marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2013
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2013
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2012
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2012
Also known as Jake Morrissey. Library of Congress records indicate this is another name of J. P. Morrissey.
More about J.P. Morrissey...