Start by marking “A Weekend at Blenheim: A Novel” as Want to Read:
A Weekend at Blenheim: A Novel

A Weekend at Blenheim: A Novel

In this enthralling and atmospheric tale of murder, revenge, and redemption, a young American struggles to make sense of a world he does not understand, where the price of acceptance may be murder.

John Vanbrugh is an outsider in the England of 1905: A determined but unsuccessful American architect, he has moved to London to make a new life for himself and his wife, Margare
Published March 1st 2003 by Minotaur Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Weekend at Blenheim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Weekend at Blenheim

Maria Ella
Having this book bought at Php10 is AWESOME! I just can't believe I bought a goodread at a cheap price.

Just to share something: The setting of the story is 30-40 miles outside the Oxford University centre. I went to the University, yes, but not outside of it. And if you are a typical tourist that doesn't regularly see a majestic palace, this is the postcard view:

A Weekend at Blenheim is the first novel by JP Morrissey that touches an episode in the lives of the Churchills in their grandiose esta
Nancy
Oct 20, 2009 Nancy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Frankly, I don't know how a book like this gets published. Despite an interesting setting (Blenheim Palace), some intriguing and historic figures (John Singer Sargeant and Winston Churchill), it was colorless.
I couldn't have been less impressed with the writing or the characters.
Gail
Nov 09, 2011 Gail rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
After about 50 pages I gave up on this very dull book.
Aug 30, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have very mixed feelings about this book - murder mystery is not really my thing so that part of the story didn't really intrigue me. In my inexperienced view, it wasn't a very sophisticated who dunnit plot and the characters all felt very stereotypical and straight out of Upstairs, Downstairs or Downton Abbey. What I really enjoyed about this book is it's detailed portrayal of Blenheim Palace - the author must have spent huge amounts of time studying the architecture and layout of the buildin ...more
Mia Tat
This book should have been better. I was very much looking forward to a fictionalized story featuring some of the Vanderbilts; and with an architect as the lead character, this should have been a slam dunk, at least for me. Unfortunately, it dragged in places, and I really didn't like any of the characters enough to want to stay engaged with them.

I finished it, because it is nigh on impossible for me to lay a book aside once I've started it, and I must say, the ending was fairly dramatic and en
GlenK
Feb 21, 2014 GlenK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This country house mystery - set in 1905 - is a leisurely paced, elegant work that expertly creates time and place and populates it with some not-very-nice people. In fact, with the exception of a few supporting players, everybody is at least unpleasant (including protagonist John Vanbrugh) and many are far worse. Perhaps setting explains this, for Blenheim Palace (arguably the book's main character) is dank, crumbling, and ill-maintained. As I was reading this, I was reminded of the films "Gosf ...more
Gena
Aug 17, 2013 Gena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I find the history of the Gilded Age, and the Vanderbilts in particular, to be so dramatic and fascinating that fictionalization isn't really necessary. This was a fun mystery, and the author's description of Blenheim elevated the house to main character status. But the true story of the Vanderbilt's daughter marrying an English duke to buy herself a title and save his ancestral home is much more entertaining.
Danielle
The fact that I read this as an ebook on my nook may excuse the formatting and editing issues I had with it. However, nothing can excuse the downright poor writing. I did not find myself at all sympathetic with the characters, and I found the narration rather boring for what could have been an interesting plot. Furthermore, loose ends were left untied at the end of the novel, making for an incomplete work. However, I did read it and finish it, which is saying something.
Susan
Mar 28, 2010 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Was just ok..Very funny,and yet not really making a statement,,I dislike novels that wre all over the place,and as a reader,unless the book is written well I don't mind..This was iffy for me..But Fun...
Chrissy
May 29, 2013 Chrissy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun murder mystery with a giant heap of history. I really enjoyed it. I would have given it 5 stars, but the editing was terrible. So many misspellings. Sometimes there was even a [ in place of an I. Get this author a better editor, and he could go far!
Krista Mercer
An excellent mystery, with strong Gothic overtones, although Downton Abbey this is not. I enjoyed the portrayals of the Duke of Devonshire, the Duchess (Consuelo Vanderbilt), and Gladys Deacon (who eventually becomes the Duke's second wife), but found the ending slightly distasteful.
Bev
Blurb on book called it "Enthralling." Enthralling is not a word I would use in the same sentence as the title of this book.
Julie
Long on atmosphere, but sadly also long on characters acting like incredibly stupid people, running around acting like no human ever acted.
Linda
Aug 03, 2008 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hist-fic
an engrossing mystery that keeps you guessing to the end. Having some famous characters is fun.
Jason Horger
A book with a lot of promise, namely in the detail of the period and the development of most of the main characters, but I felt the plot (particularly the resolution) left a lot to be desired.
Mary Kathryn
Art, architecture, interesting characters, and a decently crafted mystery. An enjoyable plane read.
P N
P N rated it it was ok
Nov 24, 2016
maria albrecht
maria albrecht rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Carrie
Carrie rated it it was ok
Jan 20, 2010
Mary Howard
Mary Howard rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2017
Stacy Ridley
Stacy Ridley rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2015
Carol Collins
Carol Collins rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Ruth Bryant
Ruth Bryant rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2012
Marieli
Marieli rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2013
Georgette
Georgette rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2011
Kim Kaso
Kim Kaso rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2015
Marsia
Marsia rated it did not like it
May 20, 2012
Maureen
Maureen rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2017
Laura rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2011
Carolynn R
Carolynn R rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Also known as Jake Morrissey. Library of Congress records indicate this is another name of J. P. Morrissey.
More about J.P. Morrissey...