Water Wings

Water Wings

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Pearl's life is decidedly wonky. Her dad's run off, her mum doesn't love her, her cousin Mitch is mad and her guinea pig's in the freezer. The only thing she can think of to straighten things out is a grandmother. A sweet, gentle, apple-pie grandmother. All the other kids have one, fussing, knitting and leaving lipstick slobber marks on their cheeks, so why doesn't she? Th...more
Paperback
Published September 7th 2001 by MacMillan UK (first published June 6th 1997)

Shane Harcombe
This book was a pleasure to read and has all the Gleitzman trademarks: young, lovable, naive central character; lots of humour embedded in the story; serious "issue" (or in this case issues) being dealt with.

Hard to talk about the end without spoilers - but I did feel the "issue" of choice being addressed sort of snuck up on me and wasn't what I was expecting. I also wasn't comfortable with just how involved Pearl was at the end - it is a very fine line.

It is this that prevents me from reading...more
Brenda
I found this book because it was recommended to us (Matt and I) on Library Thing after he posted a review on Going Solo. It was British. It was funny and the cover looked great. We decided to give it a try. I it fit into my reading pile this vacation.

The book that I read had not been Americanized and I am wondering how it would be changed if it were to be published for an American audience. I think much would be lost. Perhaps that is why it is not known here. I am very glad to have read it. I wo...more
Harun Harahap
Ternyata hai ternyata, ini lanjutannya buku yang Belly Flop(Asal Loncat).

Disini, tokoh Mitch, anak yang suka berkahayal kalau ia memiliki malaikat pelindung bernama Doug, muncul lagi.Ia muncul karena tokoh utama dibuku ini, Pearl menulis surat kepada calon neneknya yang ternyata adalah nenek dari Mitch Juga. Cerita ini sekiranya gw akan bercerita tentang Pearl yang merindukan seorang Nenek, ternyata lebih banyak bercerita tentang Nenek.

Di buku inilah, akhirnya kita bisa mengetahui siapa Doug se...more
Pujiyanto stiffy
3,5/5
seperti biasa, dibuat tertawa dengan cerita karya Morris Gleitzman.
kisahnya sebenernya mengharukan, tapi berkat Om Gleitzman, dengan ciri khas tulisannya yang nyentrik, eksekusi buku ini menjadi penuh humor di setiap kesempatan.
Dari beberapa karya Morris Gleitzman yang sudah aku baca sejauh ini, ini kisah yang paling 'meaning' menurutku.
Patty Jansen
This book is a total little gem, and deserves a lot more attention than it gets. The kids left it on the table, I picked it up and before I knew I'd read all of it.

Heartfelt and full of emotion.
Greer Knight
it is a hilerous book with all diffenet things to it it is touching and sad you willl ove it
Jillian
I adore this book and re-read now and then, the grandmother reminds me of my own gran.
Stella
I am shocked with words it is such a great book short review but means a lot to me
Marina
'Twas a meh book. Interesting to me when I was younger, but not so much now.
Indah Threez Lestari
Sad ending... ups, it's not spoiler, is it?
Sharon
Very cute; funny; dark and made me cry.
Asti Arum
realllly love this! pure..laugh n love.
Kim
Shosha
Shosha added it
May 29, 2014
Danica Hayes
Danica Hayes marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Mason
Mason added it
Apr 21, 2014
Chús Villarrubia
Chús Villarrubia marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Alice
Alice added it
Mar 29, 2014
Morris began his writing career as a screenwriter, and wrote his first children's novel in 1985. His brilliantly comic style has endeared him to children and adults alike, and he is now one of Australia's most successful authors, both internationally and at home. He was born in England in 1953 and emigrated to Australia in 1969 so he could escape from school and become a Very Famous Writer.

Before...more
More about Morris Gleitzman...
Once (Once, #1) Then (Once, #2) Now (Once, #3) Boy Overboard Two Weeks with the Queen (Cascades)