Almost Zero: A Dyamonde Daniel Book

Almost Zero: A Dyamonde Daniel Book

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Dyamonde really wants red high-top sneakers. Too bad they're so expensive! A classmate tells her it's her mom's job to give her what she needs, but when Dyamonde tries that argument, her mom teaches her a lesson by literally only giving her what she needs. Now Dyamonde is down to almost zero outfits! But then she finds out one of her friends has it much worse, and she's de...more
Published October 28th 2010 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Almost Zero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Zero

Cherese Vines
This book is about a little girl named Dyamonde Daniel who listens to some not so good advise from classmate and ends up losing most of her clothes as a punishment. However, Dyamonde learns a very important lesson and redeems herself in this cute, short chapter book. I won this book in a giveaway from www.mymcbooks.wordpress.com and I absolutely loved it. I really got it for my daughter because she can be a little bit of a diva at 5 years old. This book teaches self-lessness.
Christiane
This is the first book I've read in the Dyamonde Daniel series for early readers (J/E) and I really enjoyed it. It's a different world from what many of the kid's in my neighborhood are familiar with and it has a great lesson to teach but not in a preachy way. Dyamonde wants some new red high-tops and when she demands her mother buy them her mother teaches her a lesson about the difference between wants and needs.
Mymcbooks
My Review: While hanging out with her friends at school one morning, Dyamonde saw Tameeka wearing a new pair of high-top sneakers. She asked if they came in red as it was her favorite color. When Tameeka told her yes and where she bought it, Dyamonde knew they were expensive. But Tameeka told Dyamonde to simply tell her mother that she needs the sneakers and that it is her job to buy her what she needs. Dyamonde did just that she demanded her mother buy her new sneakers.

When she came home from s...more
Tami
Dyamonde Daniels is truly a treasure! “Irrepressible” is often used to describe young characters. In this case it is wholly appropriate. Dyamonde lives with her mother in an apartment in the city. She is your average, happy third grader. She is outgoing, determinedly friendly and positive. She is one of the most delightfully honest, intelligent, joyful young role models for children I have ever come across.

There are three books in the series: Dyamonde Daniels, Rich, and Almost Zero. In each stor...more
Marisa
Dyamonde Daniel’s friend has these really cool pink high tops, and Dyamonde really wants them, but in red. Red’s her favorite color. So her friend says that she should tell her mom to buy them for her. That’s what she does – she tells her mom nice, but she still tells her. After all it’s her mom’s job to give her the stuff she needs, right?
So Dyamonde decides to try the strategy that night. She steels her nerves, walks into the living room and announces, “Mom, I need some red high top sneakers.”...more
Debra
Gosh, why hadn't I read this series before? Dyamonde is a spunky third grader who speaks her mind, which sometimes gets her into trouble. In this story, she unwisely listens to advice from a girl at school and decides to "tell" her mother to buy her new shoes. Funny and sweet. Great beginning chapter book series.
M.
A good third grade chapter book. Following a classmate's directions, Dyamonde Daniel tells her mother that she, Dyamonde, needs a pair of expensive red high tops and that her mom should get them for her as her mom's job is to give her everything she needs. Dyamonde's mom responds by packing away virtually all Dyamonde's clothing since she only needs one outfit for school, etc. On the third day of wearing the same clothing, the class gets word that a classmate's apartment house burns down, leavin...more
Shurronne
Could Dyamonde learn to love giving as much as getting?

Well, this is the opening quest for the outspoken and charming young lady, and one lesson that she will forever remember ---- "Everything we have is a gift. I'm just pleased you've found it in your heart to share some of your gifts with others," are the profound words the author echoes for the readers to ponder. Some gifts we must learn to share, if not all, as we venture on this journey.

I treasure the simpe and delightful prose of this sho...more
Barb Moore
Dyamonde thinks she needs new red high-top sneakers. Her mom thinks Dyamonde WANTS new red high-top sneakers. And Mom is willing to go to extremes to teach Dyamonde the difference! This is a nice, easy chapter book series with a spunky heroine who likes to solve people problems rather than see anyone around her hurting. Readers who like Junie B, Clementine and Gooney Bird Greene will also like Dyamonde Daniel.
Embrc
Part of the Dyamonde Daniel series. (Book 3 I think). I haven't read this but a co-worker brought it in since she never reviewed it and forgot about it (oops, I've done that too). So it's from fall 2010. If you have others in the series you'll want this one. If you don't have the series you may want to consider it since they are fun, enjoyable books good for 2-4th grade. AM
Ms. Isreal
Almost Zero is a nice departure from the standard format of Grimes' style. This is the first novel I've read in the Dyamonde Daniel series and I thought it was a really nice chapter book for younger readers. I would use the book to teach humility, charity, & privilege. It is also good for teaching characterization, theme and plot development.
Terri
A great first chapter book for the elementary set! Great lessons about wants versus needs and the value of giving. The illustrations and characters are delightful. My only beef is that some plots threads could have been flushed out just a bit more. This would be a great read aloud for the classroom or the home!
Laura Salas
Tamara the Librarian
Short, not super easy read. The small amount of text and large font might lead you to believe this is an easy readers but it isn't. Well- written with a great moral message. Good characters
B
The third in the Dyamonde Daniel series, this time she angers her mom when she demands some new shoes but also learns the difference between want and need when a classmate loes everything in a fire.
Philena Pugh
Cute chapter book for 2nd-3rd grade students. Dyamonde is a strong female protagonist learns how lucky she really is and works to help a friend whose house burned down.
Bonnie Demarchi
Great third grade chapter book. Dyamonde learns a lesson about what you want and what you really need. Dyamonde is a little girl with a big heart.
Ms. Wms
At first I thought this character was going to be greedy but she showed me she wasn't.
Diane
I like this series for my students.
Mary Lee
Read advance review copy.
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Nadine Davis
Nadine Davis marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Luke Washington
Luke Washington marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Nicole C
Nicole C marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Bronx Masquerade The Road to Paris Words with Wings Planet Middle School Barack Obama: Son of Promise, Child of Hope