Start by marking “Almost Zero: A Dyamonde Daniel Book” as Want to Read:
Almost Zero: A Dyamonde Daniel Book

Almost Zero: A Dyamonde Daniel Book (Dyamonde Daniel #3)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Dyamonde really wants red high-top sneakers. Too bad they're so expensive! A classmate tells her it's her mom's job to give her what she needs, but when Dyamonde tries that argument, her mom teaches her a lesson by literally only giving her what she needs. Now Dyamonde is down to almost zero outfits! But then she finds out one of her friends has it much worse, and she's de ...more
Published October 28th 2010 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Almost Zero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Zero

Cherese A. Vines
Nov 02, 2011 Cherese A. Vines rated it really liked it
This book is about a little girl named Dyamonde Daniel who listens to some not so good advise from classmate and ends up losing most of her clothes as a punishment. However, Dyamonde learns a very important lesson and redeems herself in this cute, short chapter book. I won this book in a giveaway from www.mymcbooks.wordpress.com and I absolutely loved it. I really got it for my daughter because she can be a little bit of a diva at 5 years old. This book teaches self-lessness.
Christiane
Jan 26, 2011 Christiane rated it liked it
This is the first book I've read in the Dyamonde Daniel series for early readers (J/E) and I really enjoyed it. It's a different world from what many of the kid's in my neighborhood are familiar with and it has a great lesson to teach but not in a preachy way. Dyamonde wants some new red high-tops and when she demands her mother buy them her mother teaches her a lesson about the difference between wants and needs.
Mymcbooks
Oct 05, 2011 Mymcbooks rated it it was amazing
My Review: While hanging out with her friends at school one morning, Dyamonde saw Tameeka wearing a new pair of high-top sneakers. She asked if they came in red as it was her favorite color. When Tameeka told her yes and where she bought it, Dyamonde knew they were expensive. But Tameeka told Dyamonde to simply tell her mother that she needs the sneakers and that it is her job to buy her what she needs. Dyamonde did just that she demanded her mother buy her new sneakers.

When she came home from s
Tami
Mar 20, 2012 Tami rated it it was amazing
Dyamonde Daniels is truly a treasure! “Irrepressible” is often used to describe young characters. In this case it is wholly appropriate. Dyamonde lives with her mother in an apartment in the city. She is your average, happy third grader. She is outgoing, determinedly friendly and positive. She is one of the most delightfully honest, intelligent, joyful young role models for children I have ever come across.

There are three books in the series: Dyamonde Daniels, Rich, and Almost Zero. In each stor
Marisa
Dyamonde Daniel’s friend has these really cool pink high tops, and Dyamonde really wants them, but in red. Red’s her favorite color. So her friend says that she should tell her mom to buy them for her. That’s what she does – she tells her mom nice, but she still tells her. After all it’s her mom’s job to give her the stuff she needs, right?
So Dyamonde decides to try the strategy that night. She steels her nerves, walks into the living room and announces, “Mom, I need some red high top sneakers.”
Emma Lesko
Jun 26, 2015 Emma Lesko rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter-books
This books is fantastic. Dyamonde is a resourceful, funny, spunky and insightful third grader who gets some bad advice to demand that her mother buy her new shoes. Naturally, it does not go over very well:

“Mom, I need some red high-top sneakers.”
“Is that a question?” asks Mrs. Daniel.

What ensues is laugh-out-loud funny, but ultimately gives way to beautiful and believable growth for Dyamonde. The voice is pitch-perfect, the dialogue is authentic, and the heart is wonderful. Dyamonde is a great e
Debra
Jul 04, 2014 Debra rated it really liked it
Gosh, why hadn't I read this series before? Dyamonde is a spunky third grader who speaks her mind, which sometimes gets her into trouble. In this story, she unwisely listens to advice from a girl at school and decides to "tell" her mother to buy her new shoes. Funny and sweet. Great beginning chapter book series.
M.
Jan 20, 2011 M. rated it really liked it
A good third grade chapter book. Following a classmate's directions, Dyamonde Daniel tells her mother that she, Dyamonde, needs a pair of expensive red high tops and that her mom should get them for her as her mom's job is to give her everything she needs. Dyamonde's mom responds by packing away virtually all Dyamonde's clothing since she only needs one outfit for school, etc. On the third day of wearing the same clothing, the class gets word that a classmate's apartment house burns down, leavin ...more
Salsabrarian
Feb 04, 2016 Salsabrarian rated it liked it
The themes of greed and compassion are contrasted for the young reader in an understandable way, and Dyamonde's initiative to begin a clothing drive for her classmate is a nice culmination of the two themes.
Pam
Aug 08, 2015 Pam rated it it was amazing
A heart warming and universal story about a girl who learns what it really means to have "nothing". Nikki Grimmes language is, of course, lovely and poetic and to the point.
Shurronne
Oct 27, 2011 Shurronne rated it it was amazing
Could Dyamonde learn to love giving as much as getting?

Well, this is the opening quest for the outspoken and charming young lady, and one lesson that she will forever remember ---- "Everything we have is a gift. I'm just pleased you've found it in your heart to share some of your gifts with others," are the profound words the author echoes for the readers to ponder. Some gifts we must learn to share, if not all, as we venture on this journey.

I treasure the simpe and delightful prose of this sho
Yana D.
This is an adorable story about the importance of appreciating what one has, and sharing with those who have less than you do. The Dyamonde Daniel books are great for young readers. Dyamonde is a smart, friendly, and engaging character. It's easy to read these stories and think of children I know like Dyamonde, and remember times when I was a child like her. The lessons Grimes incorporates in the stories are poignant without being preachy. The illustrations also fit quite well with the book and ...more
Barb Moore
Dec 10, 2010 Barb Moore rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
Dyamonde thinks she needs new red high-top sneakers. Her mom thinks Dyamonde WANTS new red high-top sneakers. And Mom is willing to go to extremes to teach Dyamonde the difference! This is a nice, easy chapter book series with a spunky heroine who likes to solve people problems rather than see anyone around her hurting. Readers who like Junie B, Clementine and Gooney Bird Greene will also like Dyamonde Daniel.
Embrc
May 05, 2011 Embrc rated it liked it
Shelves: putnam
Part of the Dyamonde Daniel series. (Book 3 I think). I haven't read this but a co-worker brought it in since she never reviewed it and forgot about it (oops, I've done that too). So it's from fall 2010. If you have others in the series you'll want this one. If you don't have the series you may want to consider it since they are fun, enjoyable books good for 2-4th grade. AM
Ms. Isreal
Nov 22, 2011 Ms. Isreal rated it really liked it
Almost Zero is a nice departure from the standard format of Grimes' style. This is the first novel I've read in the Dyamonde Daniel series and I thought it was a really nice chapter book for younger readers. I would use the book to teach humility, charity, & privilege. It is also good for teaching characterization, theme and plot development.
Terri
Sep 13, 2011 Terri rated it really liked it
A great first chapter book for the elementary set! Great lessons about wants versus needs and the value of giving. The illustrations and characters are delightful. My only beef is that some plots threads could have been flushed out just a bit more. This would be a great read aloud for the classroom or the home!
Laura Salas
Oct 02, 2011 Laura Salas rated it really liked it
Tamara the Librarian
Aug 12, 2011 Tamara the Librarian rated it really liked it
Short, not super easy read. The small amount of text and large font might lead you to believe this is an easy readers but it isn't. Well- written with a great moral message. Good characters
B
The third in the Dyamonde Daniel series, this time she angers her mom when she demands some new shoes but also learns the difference between want and need when a classmate loes everything in a fire.
Philena Pugh
Jul 14, 2011 Philena Pugh rated it really liked it
Cute chapter book for 2nd-3rd grade students. Dyamonde is a strong female protagonist learns how lucky she really is and works to help a friend whose house burned down.
Bonnie Demarchi
Sep 10, 2013 Bonnie Demarchi rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Great third grade chapter book. Dyamonde learns a lesson about what you want and what you really need. Dyamonde is a little girl with a big heart.
Ms. Wms
Sep 08, 2011 Ms. Wms rated it really liked it
At first I thought this character was going to be greedy but she showed me she wasn't.
Diane
Apr 03, 2011 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
I like this series for my students.
Mary Lee
Jun 13, 2010 Mary Lee rated it really liked it
Read advance review copy.
Mackie
Mackie marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Zoë
Zoë rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Dawn Rutherford
Dawn Rutherford rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Kiana
Kiana marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Dyamonde Daniel (4 books)
  • Make Way for Dyamonde Daniel