Start by marking “A Bird About to Sing” as Want to Read:
A Bird About to Sing

A Bird About to Sing

3.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  17 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
For Natalie, writing poetry is fun. But reciting poetry out loud, IN FRONT OF OTHER PEOPLE, is not. So when Natalie’s poetry teacher takes her to a reading, Natalie is nervous. Shy. And ready to fly away. How will she muster the courage it takes to share her verse in front of an audience? Here is one young writer’s story that sets free a bird about to sing.
Published March 24th 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Bird About to Sing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bird About to Sing

Kathleen Behrendt
This book about empowerment is, unfortunately, out of print. Natalie is a budding young poet who is too shy to read her poems out loud at a poetry reading. However, she finds the confidence to read her poems out loud to her poetry teacher while they are riding home on the bus. To her amazement, her fellow bus riders are the very same poets who were at the poetry reading! The Picasso-like gouache illustrations really add to the atmosphere with multicultural characters. Laura Nyman Montenegro is a ...more
Lori Gravley
Aug 16, 2016 Lori Gravley rated it really liked it
What can a budding poet do if she's too afraid to speak her words out loud?
JustOneMoreBook.com
Feb 21, 2008 JustOneMoreBook.com rated it it was amazing
Dancing, character-filled artwork in rich apricots and olives complements honest first-person expression to buoy us through the crests and troughs of a young artist’s big day in this inspiring story of confidence, creativity and acceptance.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.
LaRaie Zimm
This beautifully illustrated book tell the story of a shy young poet who reads her poetry in front of an audience for the first time. This is a very sweet and very New York kind of book, as the girl's poetry teacher takes her on a city bus to a poetry reading for the first time. Being a poetry student myself, I have a special love for this one.

Angelica
Jul 25, 2013 Angelica rated it liked it
This picture book is absolutely beautiful. Natalie is a poet and she has a poetry teacher Monica who helps her with her poetry. I love how pictures compliment each line in the poem. Unfortunately she doesn't want to read her poetry aloud until she is among other poets.

This picture book is full of color and makes it easy to read about poetry
Marissa García
Aug 28, 2013 Marissa García rated it it was amazing
"I feel like a bird when the sun first breaks."

This warm picture book about bravery and finding your inner bird song is a joy. Excellent for storytime use for older children, to introduce the appeal of poetry, to approach the subject of performance, expression, or stage fright.
Marissa Garcia
"I feel like a bird when the sun first breaks."

Sara
Feb 28, 2008 Sara added it
Shelves: cnu-bibliography
It's hard to pick a favorite spread from the artwork, but I'd really like a poster-sized version of the two pages that say: "Suddenly, we are in a room full of...poets!"

For every young (and old) poet you know.
Sam Grace
While I like the cast of color in this story about mentorship and embracing poetry, something about poetry being the realm of grown-ups turned me off. I'm curious what other people think of this one ...
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This is the story of a little girl who likes to write poetry but is afraid to read her poetry aloud in front of an audience. It's a nice story, but not outstanding.
Amy
May 02, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: reading-rainbow
Reading Rainbow: Mr. George Baker
April
April added it
Sep 12, 2015
Christie Angleton
Christie Angleton marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
James
James rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2014
Jolynn
Jolynn marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Onn
Onn rated it it was ok
Feb 29, 2012
Michelle
Michelle rated it did not like it
Jul 30, 2011
Nelly Paulina
Nelly Paulina rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2010