American Boys Handy Book

American Boys Handy Book

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  499 ratings  ·  28 reviews
An 1890 manual of pasttimes which includes instructions for making kites, fishing poles, a blow gun, boats, and theatrical costumes, and for raising dogs, stuffing animals, stocking an aquarium, and camping.
Published July 16th 2010 by David R. Godine Publisher (first published 1880)

The Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn IgguldenBoy Scout Handbook by Boy Scouts of AmericaSteven Caney's Kids' America by Steven CaneyAmerican Boys Handy Book by Daniel Carter BeardThe Kids' Kitchen Take-Over by Sara Bonnett Stein
Children's How-To Books
4th out of 8 books — 7 voters
East of Eden by John SteinbeckTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeAnimal Farm by George OrwellThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
100 Classic Must-Reads
114th out of 133 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrew Crouthamel
Some of the items are not legal in many states anymore, but still great knowledge anyway. Lots of ideas for fun outside, still relevant to modern day due to people trying to get off computers now. Make sure to check other books by Daniel Carter Beard, he wrote several on wilderness survival and shelters.
Michael Lunsford
It's like the survivor man show in a book with other fun and neat projects. Originally published in 1880. The Author is one of founders of the Boy Scouts of America. Timeless do-it-yourself fun projects for boys preteen-age on up.

Covers trapping, skinning, taxidermy, watercraft building, capturing and training wild birds (ie. crows, falcons, etc), model hot-air-balloons, making your own fishing reel and pole, aquarium, whip-bow, blow-gun, elder-gun, boomerang, outdoor shelters, home made kites,...more
Kevin Driskill
Americana between two covers. This book is a gem and an amazing glimpse into our past. The only problem with this book is that it is so inspiring. I have far too little free time to add the number of projects I now want to do after reading this treasure. You have been warned.
David R.  Godine
"If Huckleberry Finn were to settle down, somewhere out there in the territory, and decide to become an author, he might very well come up with a book like this one . . . evoking the kind of boyhood that nearly every American man would like to have had himself, and hope that his son (or daughter) might still enjoy."
Washington Post Book World

"The Handy Book was the perfect survival manual. It contained plans for 16 kinds of kites and hot-air balloons and fishing tackle. It told you how to make...more
Kathy (Bermudaonion)
The American Boy’s Handy Book by Daniel Beard is a guide book for boys. It includes directions for knots, kite building, camping without a tent, and how to build a snow fort, just to name a few. The book was originally published in 1882 and is filled with black and white drawings. While I think it’s wonderful to introduce young boys to the joys of the outdoors, they will have some difficulty with the language of the book. The chapter on Knots, Bends, and Hitches starts like this: “The art of tyi...more
Sarah Cherry
The American Boy’s Handy Book: What to Do and How to Do It, Centennial Edition
Beard, D.C. (2010). American Boys Handy Book: What to Do and How to Do It, Centennial Edition. Jaffrey, NH: Godine Publishing.
Reviewed By: Sarah Cherry
Type of Reference: Handbook
Description: This is a reference book for young boys grade 4 and older I felt it would be useful for many projects as well as boys who want to just get off the couch and try some do it yourself projects. It contains many projects that include e...more
Mary
I had three boys and before that three sisters, what did I know of being a boy or what to do with boys - thank goodness for books like this. Not only did it help me with activities to do with my boys it also gave me a feel of how boys think. This was also an invaluable tool that I used as a cub scout parent.
David Mills
Dan Beard's practical and historically prosaic advise for those interested in childhood in times past and/or survival in expeditionary in present situation. I've used Beard's advise in equal measure with my kids in the backyard and with Marine's in the bush.
louisa
So much more dangerous than that other book, written in the 1870s by a founder of the Boy Scouts. War kites, raise your own hawk, practical taxidermy for boys, whipbows, how to make your own blowgun, magic lanterns, DIY shadowpuppetry, and more. Highly recommended.

Already gave to a friend and his son who live in rural Tennessee. Will happily give to age appropriate girls as well. Interestingly enough, the Girls' Handy Book from the same time is lame-o while the Daring Book for Girls far outstrip...more
Cindy Griffin
The American Boy� s Handy Book by D.C. Beard is a delightful read. The book, first published in 1882, is a travel back to a simpler, more innocent time. Young at heart men and women of all ages will find the book wonderfully enjoyable. There is something for everyone here whether you want to know how to make your own kite or how to raise wild birds. I heartedly recommend this book to everyone! I can think of no one who would not enjoy this romp back to the childhoods of our past.
Sam
Thanks to this book that I learned at an early age that it's not only possible but fun and invigorating to make your own toys. Although some of the ingredients for the many projects this book contains are no longer readily available (see the snowball fight shield crafted from barrel staves), the ingenuity this book roused out of me keeps me wondering even to this day if I could just as soon make something myself rather than buy it.
David Ward
The American Boy's Handy Book by Daniel Beard (Scribner 1890) (790.194) - This volume from the late nineteenth century has taught many generations of boys how to make mischief on a shoestring budget - or with a shoestring! The book gave me many hours of pleasure as a child. My rating: 9/10, finished 1968.
Croutonic
It's like a manual on how to be a member of the Little Rascals. Great stuff on snowball fights and traps. Some of the stuff is insanely dangerous, like creating paper hot air balloons with open flames in them, or how to build a gun.
Shane
This book is an amazing throw-back to the days of yesteryear, before Ipods and Game Boys. A time when kids used to entertain themselves by the kinds of things they could do out in nature. I sure miss those times.
How can you not love a book that says things like this:
"Do not have china swans floating about on the surface [of your aquarium],nor ruined castles submerged beneath the surface. Such things are in bad taste."
Abigail Andrew
Dec 15, 2009 Abigail Andrew rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in old time projects.
It's a great book for learning what was expected of boys in the late 1800s. There's lots of crafts and and outdoor projects that can still be done if you live in a wooded area, and detailed drawings and instructions
Joyce Roderick
Fun, some of it downright dangerous, unPC and counter ecological, but fun. What our grandfathers did. Mine was born in 1885', and I can clearly seem him and brother, Clyde tinkering with these suggestions.
Philip
The most awesome book of my childhood. I'll never forget the day when my parents gave me this book. This is the rite of passage for any little guy who wants to entertain himself in the great outdoors!
James
My son and I love this book. Great activities & projects and an excellent historical overview of what it was like to be a boy in the early 1900's
Steve Are
before there were Boy Scouts, there was mr. beard, who must have been one precocious boy. how to survive 'off the grid' for youngsters.
Michael
Alas, I could have built a lot more of these things if I only had access to barrels and their component parts.
Meltha
Any book that teaches children how to build a sailboat out of leftover lumber from the town mill pretty much rocks.
Helen
Arcane but wonderful back to basics crafts, nature, learning and fun for children - and us! :)
Tjek
Boys will forever be boys! And what a book to show us how and illuminate the way.
Paul
What a wonderful compilation of interesting, outdoorsy activities!
Don Gubler
Lots of nice skills and diversions here.
Andrew
Great!!!! Hours of fun for boy's!!!
Nathan Dunahoo
I loved it! Good job!
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
  • Self-Reliance
  • The Boys of Summer
  • Back to Basics
  • The Thin Red Line
  • The Foxfire Book: Hog Dressing; Log Cabin Building; Mountain Crafts and Foods; Planting by the Signs; Snake Lore, Hunting Tales, Faith Healing
  • Backyard Ballistics: Build Potato Cannons, Paper Match Rockets, Cincinnati Fire Kites, Tennis Ball Mortars, and More Dynamite Devices
  • Theodore Roosevelt: A Strenuous Life
  • The Jungle of Horrors (Lone Wolf, #8)
Shelters, Shacks & Shanties: And How to Build Them The Field and Forest Handy Book: New Ideas for Out of Doors (Nonpareil Book) Boat-Building and Boating The American Boys' Book Of Signs, Signals And Symbols The Black Wolf Pack (Large Print Edition)