Start by marking “The Outfit (Parker, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Outfit (Parker, #3)

The Outfit (Parker #3)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  2,036 ratings  ·  164 reviews
Richard Stark's arch-criminal Parker returns in a classic novel of revenge. With The Outfit trying to kill him, Parker declares war. But with the entire underworld understanding that whatever he does--he does for keeps.
Published July 1st 1984 by Avon Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about The Outfit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Outfit

Stephen
Drip…Drip…Drip
Drip…Drip...Drip

…that is the sound of icy cold, 80 proof, liquid badasseliciousness seeping from every pore of Richard Stark’s mantastic anti-hero, Parker. Over the past several seasons, thanks in large part to Kemper and Dan), I have become a big fan of crime fiction. During my reading excursions, I have come across some very engaging characters with high quotients of rough and tumble nastiness.

Parker is in a mold-breaking class by himself.

He’s unlike anyone else I've stumbled
Dan Schwent
After a hit man tries to kill Parker while he's in bed with a ladyfriend, Parker decides it's time to settle his score with The Outfit once and for all. While his various criminal acquaintances begin hitting Outfit-owned targets, Parker makes plans to take out the head of the Outfit. But will even taking out the top guy get the Outfit off his back?

As usual, Stark delivers the goods in fast-paced, stripped down style. Parker and Handy do what they do best. The plotting and action, as always, were
Mara
When The Outfit sets its sights on Parker it doesn't count on the fact that men like Parker, the "independent contractors" of the underworld are, in their own way, legion. The powers that be as well as the cogs and drones who comprise the myriad operations under the purview of The Outfit are soft targets, heretofore left alone out of a sort of professional courtesy. But, guess what kids? The gloves are coming off of Parker's freakishly powerful mitts.

The fact that Parker's first task is to laun
Richard Vialet
I love that I've discovered the Parker series. I'd been searching for a good series of popcorn books that I can read quickly without a whole lot of brainpower when I'm in that mood, or when I'm working and have little time to read. The Parker books have filled that void for me. They're quick, in-and-out little adventures that I can pop like mean little gummi bears whenever I want!

This episode seems to concludes the beef between master criminal Parker and the organized crime syndicate, the Outfit
Greg
I feel like an asshole giving this book five stars while only giving four stars to a much superior book like The Melancholy of Resistance. And then to rub in my shame goodreads goes and makes a new section on our profile pages where our favorite books are shown, and this is one of them, sitting right there in between Gravity's Rainbow and Infinite Jest. Horrors!

I hate the new favorites area on the profiles. Wasn't it enough to have a section in your profile you could list favorite books if you w
Kemper
When Parker and the Outfit had a dispute in the first book of the series, Parker warned them what he’d do if they didn’t leave him alone. But after surviving an attempt on his life, it’s time for Parker to make good on his threat.

As Parker told the bosses of the Outfit, all the professional thieves know each other, and all of them have worked out some kind of scenario for robbing one of their operations because they’re cash-rich and won’t bring any legal attention. Potential revenge by the Outfi
brian
in the hunter, parker warned the Outfit that if he were to instruct all his contacts to hit Outfit run businesses across the nation, they could put some serious hurting on the organization. it never comes to that. in this book it does. and it's glorious. not only do we track parker's moves against high-ranking members of the Outfit, but individual chapters are devoted to heists and jobs by various transient criminals directed at the Outfit. good stuff.

i've always loved stories which feature an
Jim
My edition was a download from the library produced by Audio Go, read by John Chancer. It's about 300 minutes long & fantastic, again. Occasionally the job setups dragged a bit, came across as pedantic, but they were interesting for all that. As usual, Parker's acquaintances cause him issues, but this time they helped out, too. Great idea & very well done.

A thread from the beginning leads me in to the next book, too. On to read the next, The Mourner. I just have to know...
Randy
Parker had gotten a face lift to disguise himself from the Outfit. Word was out now, though they didn't know what he looked like. When someone fingers him and a hit man is sent, he decides it's tme to do something about it.

He heads north from Florida, visiting people along the way he'd worked with in the past. He also wrote letters to others to far off the route. He asked all if they had plans to hit outfit(they all idly thought about such jobs). As a professional courtesy, they left such hits a
Mark
Jul 11, 2014 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Noir crime novels
Recommended to Mark by: ed Lynsky
The closing episode of Parkers' Clash with the outfit that started in The Hunter.

The story starts with an attempt on Parkers' life while enjoying a physical tryst with a lady. When Parker obviously survives he wants answers and he gets them. Parker realizes that the Outfit will keep targeting him unless he takes steps to make it financial unappealing to keep tracking him down while at the same time taking out the responsible person.
This book is about Parkers' campaign against the Outfit in whic
Jane Stewart
The Outfit (mafia) sends a hitman to kill Parker. Parker makes the Outfit sorry it ever tangled with him.

I’m enjoying these stories and find myself wanting to read one right after the other. Like potato chips, you can’t eat just one. These are about bad guys. They rob. They kill. They don’t go to jail. They’re smart. It’s fun to be in this world for a change. A few times I’m delighted or surprised with something. I liked the plot in this one.

The narrator John Chancer was ok.

This is book 3 in the
Steve
The weakest in the series that I've read so far. But that's not to say it isn't worth a look. On the down side, The Outfit is simply unbelievable, with its notion that Parker only has to sit down and write some letters to his fellow professional robbers to take down a nationwide criminal organization. Westlake (Stark) is trying to say something about corporate America -- and corporate criminals, than runs along the lines of Who can tell the difference anymore? (That was probably a cliche even in ...more
Charles
Third in the Parker series. Parker went to all the trouble to get a new face that was revealed in book 2, but finds by the end of that book that his new appearance has been revealed anyway and the "Outfit," (Organized Crime) is out to kill him. Parker strikes back as only he can do. Good one!
Piker7977
The quest to complete the Parker canon is very fun and extremely addicting.

The Outfit was a blast. Parker is looking to tie up some loose ends with the Outfit and hit them right where it hurts. Right from the start one realizes the Outfit still has plans for Parker and after that it's off to the races. The reader is in for a real treat with some clever heists and a satisfying ending. One can appreciate the code of professional armed robbers after reading this episode.

We also learn a little bit
Jim
I purchased this on Amazon based on the fact that a friend on Goodreads had been reading this series by Richard Stark, one of Donald Westlake's pseudonyms. This was another attempt at finding a crime author who can match John D. MacDonald. No dice on that score; Stark/Westlake is no JDM. However, I found this book interestingly satisfying, and I'm interested in reading more in the series. (I have also finished, before writing this review, the first in the series, The Hunter.)
Stark/Westlake is wh
Tim Niland
The mob never should have messed with Parker. Before it was business, but when they sent the hit man to his hotel, it became personal. Can the master thief and ultimate anti-hero take down the entire Syndicate? Loners like Parker and his underworld associates had previously honored an uneasy peace with organized crime, but now all deals are off. Parker spreads the word - hit them and hit them hard. Soon, Outfit fronts for gambling and loan sharking are being hit all across the country, but Parke ...more
Eric_W
What is it that makes us (me) find the bad guy so intriguing? Why do we root for Parker? His sense of independence? Is it the David v Goliath theme? Probably all of the above.

This story is dated: no cell phones or other little technological marvels that surround us today, but it's a good story. Parker, our favorite bad guy, is annoyed after the syndicate hires a hitman to take him out. Parker had stolen back some money he was owed and the "outfit" was pissed. Realizing that they won't give up,
Alex
This is the original hard boiled tough guy. Stark (Westlake writing as Stark) boils the essence of a smart no-nonsense tough guy down from the work of the greats that wrote detective and crime fiction before him, and created Parker. Forget the movies you may have seen - be they timeless classics or modern dreck - and do yourself a favor and read these. If you like crime fiction you have to check these books out. The Chicago Press has re-released them in sharp stylish new paperbacks that are inex ...more
Tony Gleeson
For the moment I skipped the second entry in Stark/Westlake's Parker series, "The Man with the Getaway Face," and moved on to "The Outfit." Simple premise. The Mob has decided to come after Parker-- a bad mistake since that results in Parker coming after them. Again the plot runs like a well-designed machine: nobody and nothing stands in the way of the callous and unrelenting criminal. There are few surprises and the end is never really in doubt-- but the story remains captivating throughout. A ...more
Steve Isaak
Outfit, which takes place three months after the events of The Man with the Getaway Face , is as word-lean, intense, entertaining and character-intrinsic as its preceding novels, achieving that last warm-familiar effect by featuring characters from them, namely: Handy (from Getaway) and Bronson and Fairfax (from The Hunter ).

Outfit's ending is a direct, promising lead-in to the next Parker novel, The Mourner.

This series is worth owning thus far.

#

The resulting film was released stateside in Oct
Curt Buchmeier
The third of the original trilogy of the Parker books. In my opinion, one of the best, maybe even THE best, of the entire series. Parker makes good on his promise from the first book ('The Hunter') to go after the outfit, i.e. the mob or mafia, if they continue to harass him. By harass, I mean they put a contract out on him for reasons explained in the earlier books. Parker doesn't take it well. So, via US Mail, Parker contacts friends in the underworld that are, like him, not part of 9 - 5 soci ...more
David
The Parker novels are at their best when they are at their most restrained. While Parker and his cohorts are planning and executing their heists, the narratives are fascinating, but when the guns fire and the fists fly, things get much less interesting. So it goes with The Outfit: The action of the opening chapter tries too hard, and the shoot-'em-up climax is anti-climactic, but everything in between is just about perfect.
Jake
Donald Westlake said that when he felt bad about the world, he wrote as Richard Stark. His legendary Parker series is an example of this. My first taste of the books, its as fast paced and yet as bleak as can be. None of the characters are deep or redeemable. Yet it is a quality crime read that roars from page 1 to the end. I'll definitely check out more at some point.
Bruce
I like to say that I like Westlake's humor more than his dark serious books, but the Parker series is REALLY good! Best part is that they're more or less continued (at least the first three are part of a trilogy). Not that you couldn't read them by themselves, but they are richer if read one after the other. Highly recommended if you like hardcase crime / noir.
Wes
That was unexpected. While The Outfit is a Parker novel, and does in fact feature Parker, nearly a third of the book features heists performed by a variety of Parker's acquaintances. (As he threatened in The Hunter.) This serves two purposes, it prevents the readers from overloading on Parker himself, (and perhaps softens him a bit - the Parker of the first novel is somewhat of a sociopath, this smaller dose of Parker doesn't lend to psychoanalysis,) and it provides for quick hit heist chapters ...more
Darren
I enjoyed the first couple of Parker novels, but this one was just okay. It also seemed to undermine the whole conceit of The Man With The Getaway Face, considering how Parker breezed through the eponymous enemy, here.
Benoit Lelievre
THE OUTFIT is a tougher nut to crack than the first two Parker novels. Richard Stark has always been deceitfully detail-oriented and the quirk about THE OUTFIT is that you need to have picked up details in THE HUNTER and THE MAN WITH THE GETAWAY FACE to fully grasp the satisfying beauty of the third installment in all its glory.

Stark stays true to his über-methodical approach to storytelling and it plays both for and against THE OUTFIT. If you understand who Parker is, you can feel his imprint o
DeAnna Knippling
Parker takes on the Outfit again.

On the one hand, long stretches of this novel are pure clunk. The opening is basically a rehash of Book 1. I think the writer got that Book 2 wasn't the direction he wanted to take the series in, and gave it a bit of a reboot. And then there was a long section of the various heists that went on, little vignettes of crime. They fit, but it still read awkwardly.

But...that ending.

(view spoiler)
William Brown
Donald E. Westlake was one of the most amazing and perhaps least known American writers of the 20th Century. As unbelievable as it sounds, he was the author of over 100 novels, screenplays, and short story collections written under 14 pen names, both male and female, and his books have been made into 24 movies prior to his death six years ago. I suspect all the pen names are one reason for his relative anonymity compared to dozens of less talented writers with far fewer writing credits. I’m sure ...more
Mario
This review originally appeared on my blog, Shared Universe Reviews.

It’s a credit to Richard Stark’s skill as a writer that I can so thoroughly enjoy a novel for which I’ve already read the comic adaptation (more than once!). His no nonsense prose, his ability to grab the reader’s attention and not let go until the last page is turned, along with this superbly well thought out plots, I can’t help but be transformed into an evangelist of Stark. Unsurprisingly to me and to those who have read so
  • Richard Stark’s Parker: The Score
  • 361 (Hard Case Crime #9)
  • The Wheelman
  • The First Quarry (Quarry #8)
  • A Touch of Death (Hard Case Crime #17)
  • The Name of the Game Is Death (Drake, #1)
  • Little Girl Lost (Hard Case Crime #4)
  • Money Shot (Hard Case Crime #40)
  • After Dark, My Sweet
  • Sideswipe: A Hoke Moseley Novel
  • The Girl with the Long Green Heart (Hard Case Crime #14)

Parker (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Hunter (Parker, #1)
  • The Man With The Getaway Face (Parker, #2)
  • The Mourner (Parker, #4)
  • The Score (Parker, #5)
  • The Jugger (Parker, #6)
  • The Seventh (Parker, #7)
  • The Handle (Parker, #8)
  • The Rare Coin Score (Parker, #9)
  • The Green Eagle Score (Parker, #10)
  • The Black Ice Score (Parker, #11)
The Hunter (Parker, #1) The Man With The Getaway Face (Parker, #2) The Score (Parker, #5) The Mourner (Parker, #4) Backflash (Parker, #18)