Start by marking “Lost in Tibet: The Untold Story of Five American Airmen, a Doomed Plane, and the Will to Survive” as Want to Read:

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  116 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Set against the majestic yet unforgiving Himalayan landscape of World War II Tibet-an unknown and tightly sealed land deeply suspicious of foreigners--LOST IN TIBET recounts the taut adventure of five American airmen facing the greatest challenge of their young lives. Hundreds of miles off course and running low on fuel, the airmen bail out of their foundering plane over w ...more
Published August 1st 2004 by Lyons Press

To ask other readers questions about Lost in Tibet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost in Tibet

Jeannie Mancini
Feb 23, 2011 Jeannie Mancini rated it did not like it
Very disappointing book. 90% of this story was about the continual political issues regarding the conflicts between China and Tibet. There is very very little about the adventure of the 5 airman and very little of what the jacket blurb had entailed in regards to treacherous passages, death defying survival. For the most part after the pilots parachuted into Tibet when their plane ran out of fuel, they found a village quickly and from that point on were taken care of fairly well considering where ...more
Kathleen
Feb 28, 2015 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book for anyone who has an interest ii, or some prior knowledge of Tibet. Entertaining, and well written.
Sep 13, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good balance of an adventure story with just enough historical facts thrown in to ground it, "Lost In Tibet" is the true tale of how five American fighter pilots unexpectedly found themselves in a Tibet village where they were treated decently enough but also weren't allowed to leave by the Tibetan government until an investigation cleared them of being Chinese spies.

My only complaint of the work is that it ends very abruptly. Usually as you're reading you can feel a winding down. This does n
Julie
Nov 07, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist, non-fiction
This book includes some of my favorite topics (WWII, pre-Chinese Tibet, survival), so it is no surprise that I devoured it. It portrays the fascinating account of how 5 American airmen bailed out over Tibet during WWII. It also began auspiciously for me as the fated plane took off from China on my birthday 71 years ago. Not only did these men narrowly escape from a plane crash, they were lucky to survive a close encounter with the side of a mountain. Luckily they met a helpful Tibetan and were l ...more
Terri
Dec 13, 2012 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lost in Tibet: The Untold Story of Five American Airmen, a Doomed Plane, and the Will to Survive by Richard Starks and Miriam Murcutt is a fascinating look at an untold story that tookplace during WWII. While flying missions from India to China, five airmen lost control of their plane and ended up crash landing in the middle of Tibet, which had been little known to Westerners at the time. The airmen not only had to deal with wounds from the crash and fight their way to some sign of civilization, ...more
Linda
Nov 22, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Bub e-book Incredible story of survival in the midst of the political climate of Tibet/China relations. Special interest with my Dad having flown that route - nicknamed tin-can alley (or something like that) marked by all the planes wreckages along the mountain sides. Very well written.
David
Nov 01, 2014 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well written, with detailed account of Tibet's closed society back then, but the adventure itself was not that exciting.
Elaine
Oct 22, 2014 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting history (and a true story) of the relationship between Tibet, Britain, China, and the US during WWII when 5 US airmen crashed in Tibet. All they wanted was to return to their base in India, but found themselves bring used as political pawns in a primitive country that wanted independence from China.
Barbra
Aug 11, 2012 Barbra rated it it was amazing
I found this book riveting! I knew nothing about these airmen prior to reading Lost in Tibet, and found their experience to be utterly fascinating. The authors have clearly researched their topic in great depth, and have brought to life a chapter in history that would otherwise have been all but forgotten. I enjoyed this book so much that I went on to read "Along the River that Flows Uphill" by these same authors - another worthwhile read.
Relstuart
Aug 15, 2012 Relstuart rated it liked it
This books tells the story of 5 Airmen who wrecked their plane in Tibet flying over the "hump" from China back to India during WWII. It also goes into detail about the political ramifications their appearance caused in China and Tibet and the diplomatic reactions of the US and Britain. While the politics were important to give the big picture the review of politics and factions splintered the focus of the book.
Mary Mccoy
If I have to learn about history, let me do it through a good story. And this book does that. 5 Americans had to bail out over Tibet in 1943 -- the book covers (in easily understandable/readable verbiage) the political pushes and pulls going on in Tibet then. I would have liked more than what this book gave in its descriptions of Tibet, but what they did provide was good.
Courtney Smith Atkins
I read this book awhile ago and could not remember the title. It made me want to read other books regarding Tibet. Love it.
John D'Anna
Liked it a lot, but didn't love it. Not as engagingly told or well-researched as @Brendan Koerner's Now The Hell Will Start or Mitchell Zuckoff's Lost In Shangri-La, it's still an interesting yarn about a little-known incident that culminates in the triumph of the human spirit.
hillary
This book had a good combination of adventure story (about the lost airmen) and the political situation. Not the most well written book of all times, but very interesting read, particularly while hiking in the region
Lauren
Mar 08, 2015 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My main problem with this book was that there was a whole chapter (or two) about some unnecessary background that made it a slow read. Other than that it was an interesting read.
Bryan Branby
If you are an actual flier, you'll appreciate this book. If you're not, it will probably not thrill you. Very well done and well researched.
Shirlene
Feb 09, 2009 Shirlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teenage - adult
Recommended to Shirlene by: Library browse
Great true story for anyone who has visited Tibet-China, likes history or enjoys airplane adventures. This story would make a good movie.
J
Aug 17, 2011 J rated it it was amazing
An aspect of WWII that is often missed in history class.
Jennifer Newbold
Jennifer Newbold rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Anna Fan
Anna Fan marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Anne Lembcke
Anne Lembcke rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
Amy Carpenter
Amy Carpenter marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Cristina
Cristina rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Kelley Willis
Kelley Willis marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Rem
Rem marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Joe Hyatt
Joe Hyatt rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
Leeanne
Leeanne marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
  • One Hundred Years of Marriage: A Novel in Stories
  • Road to Santiago
  • Anonymous Soldiers: The Struggle for Israel, 1917-1947
  • The Tiger Ladies
Richard Starks is a former journalist, editor and publisher, and is now a full-time writer.

"I've written nine books so far, but sometimes feel I'm just getting started.

My latest book is a crime thriller, Money Doesn't Talk, It Kills (Prestwicke Publishing, 2014), which is now available as an ebook for Kindle and all other ereaders.

My other books include two more novels: a political thriller (publi
More about Richard Starks...