Start by marking “Bob and Otto” as Want to Read:
Bob and Otto

Bob and Otto

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  231 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Bob and Otto do best-friend kinds of things together--eating leaves, digging, playing--until the day Bob decides to climb a tree, simply because . . . he has to. When the two meet again, Otto is still the same dirt-loving earthworm, but Bob has done the unthinkable: grown wings. Friendship overcomes all else in this sweet and funny story, because no matter what happens, ". ...more
Published April 3rd 2007 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Bob and Otto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bob and Otto

Yucky Worms by Vivian FrenchThere's a Hair in My Dirt! by Gary LarsonDiary of a Worm by Doreen CroninBad Apple by Edward HemingwayWorm Gets a Job by Kathy Caple
Picture books about worms
9th out of 32 books — 10 voters
BIG and Small in the Mirror by Mary FelicianiThe Magic Leaf by Mary FelicianiThe Trotters of Tweeville by Shirin Zarqa-LedermanOx-Cart Man by Donald HallHope for the Flowers by Trina Paulus
Picture Books with a Lesson
44th out of 50 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeremy
Jul 09, 2013 Jeremy rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-lit
Before I complain about this book, I feel the need to give a brief plot summary:

"Bob and Otto" is a story about the friendship between a worm and a caterpillar. Bob and Otto do everything together, until one day Bob decides he's too good for worm stuff, and climbs up a tree to become a butterfly. While Bob sleeps in his cocoon, his abandoned worm friend passes his days toiling in the earth.

When Bob finally becomes a butterfly, he flies down to reunite with his worm buddy. Otto naturally feels p
Steph Sinclair
My daughter has the opportunity to bring home a new book from school every Friday. This was, unfortunately, one of the books chosen one week. You should know that my rating is an mixed rating of both my feelings and my daughters. She really enjoyed Bob and Otto, but I was left underwhelmed. First off, it’s dull as dirt. Second, I don’t think the lesson it was trying to teach — jealousy — was executed well. The butterfly was trying to console the worm by telling him about all the great things wor ...more
Sarah Wiwchar
Jun 15, 2015 Sarah Wiwchar rated it it was amazing
This is a REALLY great story about the friendship of a caterpillar and a worm. It is perfect while we have all of the caterpillars about in the city.
Erin
Feb 27, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it
Bob and Otto are worms. They are also the best of friends. One day Bob decides to climb up to the top of the tree that they live under. Otto decides to dig down under the tree instead. Bob eats and eats and sleeps and turns into a butterfly! Otto digs and digs and digs and is still a worm. Eventually, they miss each other and meet up. Then Otto becomes sad, thinking that if only he had climbed to the top of the tree, he too could have grown wings. Bob made Otto happy again by thanking him for al ...more
Meredith
Mar 04, 2009 Meredith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Just about the sweetest thing I've ever read! A worm and a caterpillar's friendship changes when the caterpillar turns into a butterfly but the worm is still a worm.
Dawn
Jun 06, 2016 Dawn rated it it was amazing
I met another teacher when I was volunteering at Storybook Theatre. We got talking about school. She really loves science and was a great resource for some of the topics we do in grade three. She told me about a wonderful book, which, as she was talking, made me realize it would be great for our character assembly this month! Today we got to work on it. The kids are very excited. They totally got the concept that if everyone looks after their responsibilities, everything just goes much more smoo ...more
Megan
Sep 29, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Megan by: Soren
Bob the caterpillar and Otto the worm were great friends who liked to do the same things--dig in the ground, play in the grass, and eat leaves that fell from the tree. But one day Bob looks up and realizes that he NEEDS to climb the tree and see how the world looks from up there. There are 5 wonderful full page illustrations that show how the activities of Bob and Otto have differed. At the end, Bob, now a butterfly, flies back down to visit Otto. Otto is jealous of Bob's wings and wonders if he ...more
Turrean
A sweet story about staying friends through change. Also a tale of reframing -- when Otto the worm wistfully wonders if he, too, could have gained a pair of wings had he ventured out of his home, his friend Bob, a newly winged butterfly, tells him how important Otto's work has been all along.

Nancy Jo Lambert
May 12, 2011 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it really liked it
Bob and Otto are two special friends. They are similar, but different. In the spring they spend each day digging and and eating until one day, Bob decides to climb the tree. You see, Bob is a catepillar and starts going through the stages to become a butterfly, but Otto is just a worm and so he digs and eats, but doesn't change.

When Bob emerges from his coccoon, he has wings and can fly. Otto is jealous and proceeds to wish that he had climbed the tree with Bob when he had the chance. Bob explai
J. Gurantz
Friends go through changes as time passes.
ONe wishes they were different than they are and the other helps him understand how each have a role (important) to play.
Becca
Kind of cute, but I'm not really sure what to make of the message at the end. As an adult, I probably read more into it than a child would, but still....
Asho
At 15 months my son has finally reached the stage where he regularly looks at the pictures in books, points to things that interest him, and helps me turn pages. He seemed to really like the colors in Bob and Otto.
Personally, I wasn't entirely sure of the lesson being taught here..."Sorry, kid, some of us have to work really hard in the shadows to enable others to do their much more impressive job...?" I mean, I suppose it is a good real life lesson, but it's sort of a downer. Perhaps I was supp
Kaylee Warzecha
Aug 26, 2014 Kaylee Warzecha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Absolutely loved this book! Had such a great message about friendship and what's truly important.
Ricci
Oct 20, 2015 Jasmyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-andrew
Loved this cute book!
May 03, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
A worm and a caterpillar are good friends. One day, the caterpillar begins to climb a tree while the worm crawls underground. When the caterpillar re-emerges as a beautiful butterfly, his friend the worm is sad to be left unchanged. The butterfly explains the important roll that worms place in an ecosystem, tying together the nature and friendship themes of the book.

A great read-aloud as part of an animal study unit for first grade. This is also a great text to use for compare and contrast (worm
Cheryl
A gentle tale of two friends, both little worm-like creatures (caterpillar and earthworm) whose paths diverge and yet their friendship endures after Bob's metamorphosis to a butterfly.

Nicely illustrated, especially when the paths are different. I liked how the two paths were handled.

Good contrast between text and background makes this easy to read.

This book has an interesting message about friendship. It would be interesting to see how various children internalize the message.

Dianna
Sep 26, 2010 Dianna rated it really liked it
My son loves worms, so you can bet I snapped this book up at the library when I saw the cover. The only other worm book I've been able to find is Herman and Marguerite: An Earth Story.

We liked it! It follows a worm and a caterpillar who are friends. Then the caterpillar goes up into a tree and the worm goes down into the ground. I love the split pages—the caterpillar on top and the worm on the bottom—that show what the two are up to.
Roben
Jun 11, 2013 Roben rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-hour
The theme for the Summer Reading Program this year is Dig into Reading -- so this was a natural choice for story time! The ages were two - five years and they all enjoyed this book even though I read it at the very end of the story time. It's a sweet story about Bob the caterpillar and Otto the worm, who are best friends! The parents also really appreciated this story and its emphasis on the importance of friendship. Highly recommended!
Heidi
Adorable. Cute pictures and sweet (slightly cheesy) ending. Good book on friendship, and one of the better worm books I've found while trying to fit an SRP theme. A fun idea and I like how Nick Bruel found his father's story and adapted it for children. I think it is also good for how I want to teach the kids some basics of what at least earthworms do. Would be just 3 stars, but the illustrations add so much!
Jul 09, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
I just finished teaching and read this book on my last day. We talked about how Bob and Otto could be friends even though they're in different places. This poignant piece is appropriate for young children with its repetition and text alignment. It's interesting even for adults with its incredibly deep concept of friendship. I have a lot of books I love...but this is hands down my favorite.
Peacegal
Mar 04, 2011 Peacegal rated it liked it
Pretty much your basic story about friendship and metamorphosis. Decent, colorful illustrations depict the story of a worm and a caterpillar who are buddies. Will be enjoyed by youngsters who like bugs.
Mti Librarian
Cute and easy to read. Bob, a caterpillar, and Otto, a worm, are best friends and do everything together until things begin to change and they go their seperate ways. Can their friendship survive?
Kate
May 07, 2010 Kate rated it it was amazing
A great story for the pre-school set about a friendship between a butterfly and an earthworm- showing all of us just how much we have to offer the world, even if we don't see it ourselves.
Marcia
Dec 16, 2009 Marcia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: prek-2
A cute story of a worm and his friend caterpillar. They soon discover they are different---but each is important. This would be a good addition to a study of butterflies or soil.
Jessie
Sep 28, 2015 Jessie rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby
Liked the layers of this book and its special meaning. We are all different but we all are apart of one big whole. My kids liked the pictures.
Molly
Jun 28, 2010 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very popular in storytime. The kids enjoyed calling out their predictions, and the mom's commented on how nice a friendship Bob and Otto enjoy.
Brooke
Apr 17, 2013 Brooke rated it it was ok
Shelves: friends, bugs
I love this story, but the kids don't get into it as much as I do. I doesn't work at Story Time no matter how much I want it to. :(
Trisan
Sep 25, 2013 Trisan rated it really liked it
Shelves: child-2
Great twist on the usual story. This adds the great job of a worm to the wonderful transformation of the caterpillar.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Goldilocks and Just One Bear
  • Turtle's Penguin Day
  • Don't Worry Bear
  • Bogart and Vinnie: A Completely Made-up Story of True Friendship
  • The Way Back Home (The Boy, #3)
  • Picture a Tree
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!
  • Here Comes Valentine Cat